What's new

Grayouts and Blackouts

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
Have you had any blackouts or grayouts (Or G-LOC) due to G forces on rollercoasters?

My only notable grayout was on Millenium Force. Im not too sure if my back injury had something to do with it but when the train started pulling into the first overbank, my vision seemed to flicker gray, until i just totally lost my ability to see or briefly function. The staff at Cedar Point told me that it happens occasionally to riders. My question is why hasn't this happened to me before, and has anybody else had this issue? given I had ridden Millenium Force multiple times in the previous two days before i "grayed out"

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
Yeah I remember graying out on Millie when I was there. It happens to me here and there. Goliath at SFMM's helix as well as Nitro's helix sometimes. Unfortunately I rode I305 with most of the trims last year, but I hear that after the drop on that gets pretty forceful without the trims and many riders had that issue.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I started to grey-out on the second loop on Magic Mountain at Gardaland. It's taken very quickly and in the front or the back you get quite some speed into the crest of the loop. Thankfully it barely lasts long enough to completely get you to grey-out, but I could feel myself slipping into it.

Apart from that, I don't recall it happening on anything else.

Ben

CF Legend
In America (or anywhere I'm riding lots of intense coasters in heat) I blacked out on nearly everything, lol...

Probably not for the best, haha. Probably got some sort of disease and I'll probably die soon...

Millennium Force was the first coaster I ever greyed out on, and I actually posted a topic about it because I was concerned. I was like twelve or something so I had no idea what it was. I've also grayed out on I305, Skyrider at Wonderland during the first loop, the first loop of Mantis, and then any intense helix usually does it as well.

Jer

Strata Poster
I always black out on Nitros helix, and on most of Batman: The Ride. Nothing else though.

marc

CF Legend
2 goes on Rage and my head is all over the place, I recon a 3rd go in a row and I would black out. It is really strange as no other coaster does this to me and lets face it Rage is not intense at all so I do not get it lol

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I used to gray out every single time on the curve after I305's drop (pre-trims, obviously), but with the retracked version, it happens a little less frequently. Still insanely intense though.

Generally I think it happens to me on tight curves or helices, and even then not very often. Some of the rides that I can specifically recall graying out on are Tennessee Tornado in the 2nd loop, Backlot Stunt Coaster in the initial helix, Georgia Scorcher, and Hulk in the second loop.

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
Yea I grayed out all over the place on mantis. But I was suprised because I've never grayed out on a ride. I almost had grayed out on Magnum's first drop.

btw magnum was awesomely rough when I went :D

Also Fishman, it is an awesome experience.

T0M

Hyper Poster
You lucky, lucky people. After being intruiged by the Oblivion pre-ride video I looked them all up and have wanted one ever since!

Intricks

Strata Poster
As far as I can remember, I've never had a grey-out. I heard the batwing on Vortex at KI would, but only the very edge of my peripheral vision blurred. Closest I have come to getting a grey-out. Sigh...am i missing out on the sensation?

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
^ It can be pretty fun lol. Ride the front or back seats of Millie and you'll feel it lol. Or go on a Batman The Ride and black out in the Helix.

I almost blacked out on Mission Space.

Intricks

Strata Poster
^ I've ridden them before and never felt anything. No eye blurring or anything remotely similar feeling. Vortex was the closest I got with the eye blur. My friend Katie tells me that I'll most likely grey-out during I-305, but I have a suspicious feeling that I wont. Who knows, maybe my body can handle higher G-Forces than most others like that one guy who can handle over 12 (not saying I can, but maybe i can handle 4-5 easily and not feel anything) and not black out (Seriously, go look it up. He was on Stan Lee's Superhuman).

Will have to wait and see if I305 can live up to its name force wise

D1993

Hyper Poster
millennium force in the back row on the first drop i felt it BUT not as strongas Intimidators first turn. i got tunnel vision every time i rode and every time through nitro's helix i got massive grey outs. Ive never point blank blacked out though.

AltonTowersFan

Mega Poster
I had a grey out in *awkward*....
Flying fish at Thorpe Park
:oops: Not a joke... but chances are that it wasn't due to G's...

nadroJ

CF Legend
My first grey out was on Nitro's helix, and since then I've greyed out on Typhoon at Bobbejaanland (vile contraption) and the second loop on Magic Mountain at Gardaland. I think the heat doesn't help, as at both SFGAdv and Gardaland the weather was quite warm. Typhoon is just a forceful piece of crap though.