What's new

Giant Wheel Park of Suzhou To Close.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
It sounds like the Giant Wheel Park of Suzhou, Home to the only existing Vekoma Stingray model is on its way out.

The below link is inviting tenders for the demolition of the park. The Ferris Wheel will however stay on as a separate attraction but what will become of the Stingray is currently unknown.

http://www.gaoloumi.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3100126

stingray.jpg

Reactions: JSM

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Any clues on the time line of this? Is the park shut currently, or is it remaining open for a period of time?

Got a feeling this is going to spite me...!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I hope the stingray gets relocated, low throughput, but it looks solid. Has anyone ridden it? I'd love to know what people think about it.

Pear

Strata Poster
I really wish more of those stingrays were built. Hopefully another park buys it.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Any clues on the time line of this? Is the park shut currently, or is it remaining open for a period of time?

Got a feeling this is going to spite me...!
It spites a lot of people since its so rarely open.
But no there is no time line on the document. The time limit for entering a tender has passed so i cant imagine it will be too far in the future

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Shame, I was hoping I'd get lucky. At least if it wasn't being demolished I figured I stood a chance! :p

I wonder if anyone will save it. Was it unreliable, or simple infrequently run?

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Park has a weird pricing structure for what it is.
That and Chinese weather policy/attendance.
I'd go for infrequently run.

Hope this doesn't start happening to more of the 'older parks' with interesting rides.
We have said it can't be sustainable in many cases.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I hope the stingray gets relocated, low throughput, but it looks solid. Has anyone ridden it? I'd love to know what people think about it.

S**te.

They ballsed up by making this a pay-one-price park with regular park hours when it would have worked much better as a free-entry, pay-per-ride place, open in the afternoons/evenings.

The main point of the park was the wheel, but few people are going to want to pay "full" park prices to ride it. I can't remember the price now, but I'm sure I paid around the £20 mark, which is ludicrous when you consider there's bugger all there. They even had the audacity to make the horror walk-through an upcharge as well.

F**k that place.

Last edited:

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Bollocks. I missed a flight and never made it there in 2016 but was planning on getting it this summer. Bloody well hope it's still open but I bet it's not. Bollocks.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Bollocks. I missed a flight and never made it there in 2016 but was planning on getting it this summer. Bloody well hope it's still open but I bet it's not. Bollocks.
Aye, I'm heading there in March! I'll pop in on the way past still, but not feeling hugely optimistic. I'll post an update. :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'll keep an eye on it for now. :)
No news is good news i guess
So only about a week until I'm off to Shanghai now, have you heard anything further, or still worth giving a go (I'm planning on being in Suzhou for a day anyway, but might save myself going to the park)?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
So only about a week until I'm off to Shanghai now, have you heard anything further, or still worth giving a go (I'm planning on being in Suzhou for a day anyway, but might save myself going to the park)?
Hi Hixee.
Sorry for slow reply. I was away on some coaster travels myself and only got back last night.
I cant really say anything anyway. All i know is as of the first of Febuary the park was still there at least.
Suzstill1.JPG
A Chiense forum thread about the park says this in poorly translated English.
Suzstill2.JPG
So nothing concrete. If you are in Suzhou itself then its worth a punt. The park is a short walk from the Times Square metro station. Otherwise with Suzhou Amusement Land now closed and Huayi yet to open theres no much in central Suzhou at the moment.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Okay, hoping that means that there's a chance still!

I am planning on being in Suzhou for a day regardless, so I'll check it out.

Thanks for doing the digging.