What's new

Germany PTR - Day 14-15: Leipzig + Plohn

Will

Strata Poster
Bandit is a masterpiece compared to Coaster Express.
****, I hate Coaster Express.

I shall finish reading this later, always enjoy a Gavin review :)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I’d forgotten about this, but I’m back at work with plenty of free time now, so will try and get it knocked out.

Day 9 – Hamburg

I got a train in the morning from Dortmund to Hamburg – the longest stretch of the trip but still only a couple of hours – then went through a bit of confusion as I tried to check into the wrong hotel. For most of this trip, I’d been booking Ibis since they’re really well-located and decent enough. Not exactly high-end, obviously, but pretty good for the price. For Hamburg though, I’d accidentally booked the Ibis Budget next door, forgetting that Etap had rebranded. Ugh, I hate feeling poor.

I had a wander around for the afternoon, so you can have some pictures of that.

DSC05673_zpsbvfptpdq.jpg

DSC05675_zpsteczbywr.jpg

DSC05677_zpsanuq873s.jpg

DSC05682_zpsk2860j3m.jpg

DSC05683_zpsl0ifcxak.jpg

DSC05684_zpshx0d0o0p.jpg

DSC05694_zps6qgl0gim.jpg

DSC05695_zpso9qbj0gw.jpg

DSC05701_zps74zphwy5.jpg

DSC05705_zpstz14ddfy.jpg

Some bombed-out church with the tower still accessible. Good for views across the city.

DSC05706_zpsytpjzy3p.jpg

DSC05707_zpsqjrr6e9b.jpg

DSC05712_zpskyxfy5kb.jpg

DSC05714_zpsskkbkyut.jpg

DSC05715_zpshbdr6fck.jpg

More wandering…

DSC05723_zpse45uo0vy.jpg

DSC05728_zpsenvxmxgj.jpg

DSC05732_zpsm52f4b0s.jpg

DSC05733_zpswsbav15k.jpg

Hamburg Dungeon and Miniatur Wunderland were in this area. I wasn’t interested in the dungeon, but decided to do Miniatur Wunderland at some point later in the trip since it’s open late.

DSC05736_zpsog3yeqpi.jpg

DSC05739_zpsq8bzm7vc.jpg

DSC05744_zps3lamiaa2.jpg

The weather was a bit miserable, but I liked Hamburg a lot. It was a nice place to just have a wander around, with quite different vibes in different areas, which were all relatively close together. Way more interesting than Cologne (and certainly crappy Dortmund) at any rate.

From there, I just walked to the Dom area. I was planning to go at some other point (and would revisit later), but just decided to have a look anyway.

DSC05749_zpsmfzuu3o6.jpg

DSC05750_zpsruoskwwx.jpg

Hamburger Dom

DSC05751_zpstnrs5fy5.jpg

DSC05753_zpskbhw8gah.jpg

I did the Ferris wheel to get an overview of the place, which wasn’t really necessary since it’s laid out very simply with only one path to follow round.

DSC05755_zpskpn3npxq.jpg

DSC05762_zpspmpcmktr.jpg

DSC05763_zpsxe6vuqfn.jpg

DSC05765_zps65uyude9.jpg

DSC05769_zpsyncvqtxv.jpg

DSC05770_zpsjmgfxcq1.jpg

Didn’t do this:

DSC05779_zpsroqup24a.jpg

But obviously did Teststrekke.

DSC05782_zpszbrsbtfj.jpg

DSC05783_zpstdy9hjfo.jpg

It was only 3 euros, which I was surprised by. Apparently, Wednesday is “Family Day”, so everything is slightly cheaper. Full price was only a euro more though.

It was ok, and impressive for a traveling ride, but that’s about it. The lapbars were decent I suppose? Meh.

DSC05784_zpslfnlsbga.jpg

Other stuff.

DSC05788_zpsmelbtvzy.jpg

DSC05793_zpsgqhdazzl.jpg

This wasn’t open:

DSC05796_zpsfthgcbdh.jpg

It’s brand new this year – apparently going to Winter Wonderland later – and is a VR ride using a very basic “ghost train” track/layout.

I’d already got the Wild Mouse cred, but gave it a go anyway since it was cheap.

DSC05797_zps5tf2i6re.jpg

Didn’t do the rapids.

DSC05802_zpstqe9uint.jpg

Did the only other +1, basically a big apple.

DSC05804_zpsozeiohuy.jpg

DSC05807_zpss98kax2l.jpg

Then did the drop tower on the way out, which I thought was pretty good. It’s massive for a travelling ride (tallest travelling tower?) and you get two drops on it.

DSC05813_zpsujucqr2m.jpg

I wanted to see it at night, but didn’t really want to hang around – it got dark pretty late – so decided to come back another time.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Yeah, I was expecting to pay at least double that. Even at full-price (a euro more for everything) it was still a bargain.

Day 10 – Hansa Park

I opted on a bus to get here since it was cheap, direct, dropped off/picked up right in the car park of Hansa and the bus station was a touch closer to the hotel than the train station and taking only slightly longer than the trains would have. Getting there was no problem, with the bus arriving around opening time.

DSC05814_zps48of1iqi.jpg

There was a fair bit of cred anxiety on the way thanks to it raining as I was leaving Hamburg. It had stopped by the time I arrived though, and was probably a good thing since it kept the crowds away. It was still looking like it could rain again at any time though, so I headed straight over to Karnan.

DSC05815_zpsxcfxexcq.jpg

DSC05823_zpsgoatwzdh.jpg

DSC05829_zpsi0vqrnpm.jpg

DSC05831_zps1q7pucca.jpg

Loved it. By far the best thing Gerstlauer have ever done. The throughput isn’t great, but since it was quiet, it never took more than 10 minutes to get to the bag-drop room, which kind of counts as the front of the queue since the whole thing starts there really.

The vertical lift, with lapbars, is actually quite terrifying since you kind of feel like you’re slipping out backwards, and you’re on the lift for a really long time. There’s no sense of height given that you’re in complete darkness, but it’s very unnerving when you remind yourself that you’re about 200ft up while feeling very exposed.

Didn’t bother with either of these:

DSC05825_zpssuwolyvd.jpg

DSC05856_zpsm7bh9tlg.jpg

Quickly polished off the second of three creds I needed here. You’ve got to admire the effort that went into a pretty insubstantial coaster.

DSC05835_zpshlquzshp.jpg

DSC05836_zps4r3qnnlq.jpg

I did the skyfly thing, or whatever this model’s called. I’m crap at these and couldn’t get it to do anything.

DSC05839_zpssdsby1fn.jpg

DSC05842_zpssofvjniu.jpg

DSC05923_zpspoiglyjm.jpg

Back to more fabulous Karnan before moving on for a while.

DSC05845_zpsh12bbb82.jpg

DSC05851_zpssqpzuuc2.jpg

DSC05853_zpshq49vzg8.jpg

DSC05860_zpsicpjdpjr.jpg

DSC05861_zpsadq9znax.jpg

The wild mouse was a walk-on otherwise I’d have probably skipped it. It could do with a retheme I think; it’s a bit out of place where it sits now.

DSC05864_zpsdena3mj3.jpg

DSC05865_zpst2to898a.jpg

But who cares about that when this is sitting right next to it?

DSC05867_zps1mcxp9lx.jpg

I came back to these old things later in the day.

DSC05875_zpsoz8xmuhu.jpg

DSC05877_zpsvmkqhjgx.jpg

Onto Novgorod, which I’d really enjoyed first time around in its opening year.

DSC05879_zpsrinvmwxm.jpg

DSC05881_zpstwii6wvh.jpg

I still really liked it. It was good to see it all finished, and the launch and following airtime hill are still fab. The rest of it didn’t seem as fun as before, but that’s just on me I think. It was also funny how tiny the tower looks now that Karnan is just around the corner; I remember it seeming really impressive before.

DSC05883_zps3dutz68x.jpg

One annoying thing was the queue line though. They have a single rider queue, but you have to wait in the regular queue for quite a while before you can access it, meaning that what could be a walk-on ride was turning into 20-minutes each time. Still better than waiting through the whole queue line.

DSC05884_zpsbulnbffa.jpg

The final of the +3:

DSC05886_zpsjfpw4nmo.jpg

Shameful.

DSC05888_zps6shefmzp.jpg

DSC05890_zps3erzfqlf.jpg

There’s more Novgorod in the upload, so I guess I must’ve redone it before moving on again.

DSC05891_zpsudddscut.jpg

DSC05898_zpsupuuajae.jpg

DSC05903_zpsekadmrf8.jpg

The old “is it a cred” area.

DSC05904_zpssgis31xk.jpg

On Howie’s recommendation, I had a burger at the “Western” style restaurant, which was excellent and decently priced considering it was park food and at a table-service restaurant. I can’t find the picture I took of it, so you’ll have to use your imagination. It consisted of a large amount of minced beef squashed into a disc shape, grilled, and presented with lettuce and tomato inside some bread. This was accompanied by a potato that had been cut into strips, which had also been fried.

I watched some lazer show thing in the same area, which was actually quite impressive and didn’t take up much time.

By now, the weather had totally cleared up. Karnan obviously had to be done again.

DSC05905_zpsawlbnw1a.jpg

DSC05907_zpsjybrpukj.jpg

DSC05913_zps0gsnudnk.jpg

DSC05914_zpssopeujev.jpg

DSC05916_zpsx0yv240f.jpg

DSC05920_zpskzyrqg88.jpg

DSC05924_zpsxugriwy0.jpg

DSC05925_zps6miugydh.jpg

DSC05927_zps3mfkyalu.jpg

DSC05928_zpsdvbh7sqv.jpg

DSC05931_zpsdpthfgsv.jpg

DSC05935_zpsqyw5clto.jpg

I went back and did the old Vekoma and Schwarzkopf things. Meh. Nessie has a decent pop of airtime in the back seat, but that’s the only standout.

DSC05939_zps2iiyymvp.jpg

DSC05940_zpscrncmuvl.jpg

The parade is laughably bad.

DSC05952_zpswdrzhvko.jpg

DSC05953_zps7x5elghk.jpg

I did the observation tower.

DSC05942_zpsrwlr6e1k.jpg

DSC05943_zpsmym8vrkv.jpg

DSC05944_zpsocjwxwsh.jpg

A few more pics of Novgorod:

DSC05954_zpsebzkdm2h.jpg

DSC05959_zpsj3oriud3.jpg

DSC05961_zpsstsey5wi.jpg

I had a really good day here. The s**ty weather in the morning had obviously put a lot of people off, making for a pretty quiet park considering it was the middle of summer. Novgorod is still the best Eurofighter I’ve done, and Karnan is easily a European top-ten coaster.

The bus back was s**te though. It had been great in the morning, but showed up for the return trip about 20 minutes late, and somehow managed to add another half an hour during the ride back, meaning it arrived in Hamburg around an hour late. I was going to the theatre that evening and managed to make it with about 10 minutes to spare before the show started.

DSC05967_zpsvrqpkhnf.jpg

I had, probably, the best seat I’ve ever had at any show. The theatre seemed brand new, and all the seats were on a steep rake. Often, stalls seats are on a pretty flat surface, so they’re not always great, despite being closer to the stage, depending on who ends up in front of you.

DSC05968_zpsycld1g1i.jpg

DSC05971_zpsnp7k2rdv.jpg

The show was amazing. It was in German, so obviously a few jokes were lost on me since I don’t speak a word, but it didn’t matter at all since I’m more than familiar with the source material and it’s mostly all just very visual anyway. Great stuff.

Next up: Heide Park

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Karnan is just so imposing. It's absolutely brilliant and equally bonkers!

Seems like you got lucky with the weather - my trip was decidedly more damp!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Did the laser show still include the Karnan theme (rave edition)?
Didn't get round to watching it again this year, but loved that previously.

Is it mostly the theming that makes Novgorod your best Eurofighter? The layout itself is so bad.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I can't remember the music at all.

With Novgorod, it's partly the theme, but mostly the launch and airtime hill. The layout after that is s**t. It's not like any euro fighter is actually particularly good.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
The layout after that is s**t.
Yes. Yes it is.
The not particularly good part is usually down to them riding a bit crap.
Stuff like Saw has a far better layout I think.
Also had Lynet in my head, though not technically listed as Eurofighter.
Better start a poll.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Lynet? Great little coaster. Not a Eurofighter.

A big photo dump coming up with this one since I got a lot done.

Day 11 – Heide Park

As with Hansa, I got there and back by bus from the same station in Hamburg. This one is a specific park shuttle though – with a combination bus/entry ticket - so was better since there were no other drop offs. The bus back left quite early (5pm when the park closed a couple of hours later), but there was actually plenty of time.

It only really seemed about as busy as Hansa had been the day before. Realistically, there were probably a lot more people, but since the park is a lot bigger than Hansa, it felt about the same since everyone was spread out. As with Hansa, the longest queues I saw were at around the 30-minute mark, but most things were a lot less.

DSC05974_zps9da9tvbb.jpg

The priority here were the two B&Ms that have been added since my last visit.

DSC05979_zpsk0up8fbj.jpg

DSC05983_zpsviwhmxrk.jpg

They had a single rider queue for Krake, but weren’t using it. No problem really since the queue was only at about 10 minutes anyway. I really liked this. It doesn’t really seem to get much love, but I enjoyed it. I tend to rate dive machines more than most people though I think.

DSC05982_zpsxhsbnvoa.jpg

Flug der Damonen had the single rider line open for the whole day.

DSC05986_zps2rwer71p.jpg

DSC05990_zpstvewbsat.jpg

DSC05992_zpsealrqkgu.jpg

Hmmmmm, not really sure about this one. It didn’t really seem to do very much. I got a few rides in over the course of the day, and it was enjoyable enough, but all a bit bland really. Looking back at it objectively, I can see that it’s a good coaster. It’s very rerideable and I liked it enough to get a good few rides in, but it left me a bit flat.

DSC05998_zpsku76ludo.jpg

DSC05999_zpsperywdmz.jpg

DSC06002_zpszitwwfxh.jpg

The view over to this thing, which I’ll get back to.

DSC05988_zpsojm66ajn.jpg

My only previous visit to this park had been very rushed, and very busy, thanks to a late arrival and a packed park, so I hadn’t done Scream before, but there was no queue at all at that point in the morning, and only a couple of cycles long at most later in the day.

DSC06006_zpst0e4bcde.jpg

Loved it, but I knew I would since gyrodrops are my favourite tower rides.

DSC06007_zpsmvvrsvem.jpg

The bobsled thing was as I remembered it: pretty fun with a much more substantial layout than most of these. It’s the best one after the one at Asterix for me.

DSC06009_zpsogk1wszg.jpg

DSC06025_zpsvqpolpux.jpg

DSC06019_zpsku4oqnom.jpg

Some more pictures:

DSC06014_zpstugc7gxk.jpg

DSC06023_zps4stqr3dg.jpg

DSC06034_zpsmgjik9fz.jpg

DSC06027_zpstygllmlr.jpg

I remember absolutely HATING Limit, but had a morbid curiosity to see whether is was as bad as I remembered it. There was only a minimal wait, otherwise I’d likely have not bothered.

DSC06038_zpszvkicekf.jpg

DSC06040_zpsugv0fw4j.jpg

Yep, total piece of f**king s**t. Awful, awful thing. I’d take any Chinese SLC over the bottom end of the Vekoma version, and this c**t of a coaster is right near the bottom.

The sign even warns you that it’s the “wurst”.

DSC06035_zpsjpsmsi54.jpg

Whatever the looper’s called. Meh.

DSC06036_zps3hds8hvz.jpg

I remember thinking that this was at least a photogenic ride, but it desperately needs a bit of paint and looks like s**te these days.

DSC06042_zpszvf5cjdo.jpg

The view across the lake is pretty fab to be fair.

DSC06048_zpscl7ulauh.jpg

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DSC06041_zpscsf4v6gd.jpg

I’ve got the cred, but only managed one ride on it since it was down for most of the day last time, opening for about 5 minutes at the end of the day.

DSC06055_zpsdeoj2qkj.jpg

Fabulous Krake:

DSC06051_zpsotwf7jri.jpg

Powered mine train. Meh.

DSC06059_zpsase37sha.jpg

Desert Rita had the longest queues of the day at around half an hour. Any longer and I wouldn’t have bothered, but I was making very good time since it was a quiet day.

DSC06060_zpsnvzdfznp.jpg

S**te. I’ve never been a massive fan of this model, but something on this visit made me actively dislike it. I just found it uncomfortable when the seat was just punching me in the taint.

DSC06067_zpszueju14t.jpg

I don’t think I’d done the rapids before. I seem to remember half the group getting food, and half riding, and I can’t remember which I was in. Anyway, I did it this time. Pretty decent really.

DSC06069_zpsbclouglb.jpg

The How to Train Your Dragon area was really, really f**king piss-poor, just so incredibly cheap looking. Obviously, it’s just a kiddy area, but I did the boat ride.

DSC06075_zpsnwgso5qr.jpg

DSC06080_zps3gyuinzl.jpg

DSC06081_zpswhxrtv1r.jpg

S**te.

DSC06085_zpsygfnyzmj.jpg

DSC06094_zpsrycczqia.jpg

Across the lake again:

DSC06089_zpspgsrn7fq.jpg

DSC06091_zpsvyi5ljvl.jpg

Onto this year’s new ride:

DSC06096_zpslowctoyx.jpg

Merlin have made excellent use of shipping containers here. They should consider using them more often.

DSC06098_zpsrgd5lu9f.jpg

I ended up waiting close to 40 minutes for it thanks to it breaking down. It probably would’ve only been about 20. The queue line had a few moving picture things, but they were poorly executed and just looked like the screens they were.

DSC06105_zpsp5dyozll.jpg

The ride’s a bit crap really. I liked the style of shooting. It’s 3D screens, but you can hold down the trigger and move your beam around the screen to catch the ghosts, which I thought was better than the usual shooter method of just twatting the trigger as quickly as possible and hoping for the best.

The theming in the inevitable gift shop was probably the highlight.

DSC06106_zpsa51lnr3e.jpg

DSC06109_zpsakvfxltn.jpg

I’d circled the whole place by this point and still had a couple of hours before the bus was picking up. Single rider was now open on Krake, so I did a bit of whoring between that, Flug der Damonen and Scream.

DSC06113_zpsnlqmoxum.jpg

DSC06127_zps3ssjwrif.jpg

DSC06129_zpsrmb8r8kl.jpg

DSC06130_zpsspjrh0cs.jpg

DSC06133_zpsanj4t4n9.jpg

DSC06137_zpsdnulzifi.jpg

DSC06140_zpsud7l7mlv.jpg

Overall thoughts then. Not massively impressed to be honest. I’d really, really liked the place on my first visit, but something was just off this time. That’s weird really since the stuff I actually liked about the place on this visit was mostly new since my first time.

The corner with Krake, Flug, Scream and Bobbahn is actually quite fab. You’ve got the four best rides in the park all right next to each other, and the area itself is really nice. Maybe starting from there is the wrong way to go about things though because once you move away, you’re hit with disappointingly s**t ride after disappointingly s**t ride after disappointingly s**t ride until you get back to the starting point again. Going anticlockwise around the lake would mean you get all the s**te done first and end with the decent stuff.

So yeah, I’m in no rush to get back. It’ll be at least two new major coasters added before I’d bother, so f**k knows when that would be. I’ve seen this place referred to as turning into Germany’s Thorpe Park, and that’s fairly accurate. I’d rather go to Thorpe though.

After getting back to Hamburg, I got some food and went to Miniatur Wunderland. I’d booked a time slot online since apparently there can be long waiting times to get in, but showed up early and got in anyway.

Miniatur Wunderland

For anyone who doesn’t know, it’s basically a massive train set. Every 10 minutes or so, it switches from “day” to “night”, so it’s worth hanging around in each area to see the differences. I’m just going to dump photos in; there’s not really much else you can say about the place.

DSC06144_zpsvtehkhbu.jpg

DSC06145_zpsqbkfa1co.jpg

DSC06149_zpsdt2jwymq.jpg

DSC06153_zpsepk3b5ux.jpg

DSC06155_zpsz0awthxb.jpg

DSC06169_zpsfn5qdswy.jpg

DSC06174_zpsaesblxfi.jpg

DSC06176_zps87ld1dbz.jpg

DSC06180_zpsesygfbjx.jpg

DSC06186_zps2gtrg6hi.jpg

DSC06188_zps3j5epjaj.jpg

DSC06190_zpsc9aiwy3s.jpg

DSC06191_zpsmpf3rusd.jpg

DSC06196_zpsvlq9ylzh.jpg

DSC06201_zpszpjsjq17.jpg

DSC06205_zpsri5x6ctb.jpg

The most popular area was the airport, with planes taking off and landing.

DSC06208_zpsdijlahzb.jpg

DSC06214_zpswfatcl8f.jpg

DSC06216_zpsydk7sihq.jpg

DSC06217_zpscbikd2ap.jpg

DSC06221_zpszz4i76ft.jpg

Ugh, didn’t realise how many photos I’d uploaded.

DSC06229_zpsqy4duyio.jpg

DSC06232_zpsvgswypcd.jpg

DSC06237_zps3nunyhih.jpg

DSC06241_zpsc9lm5azd.jpg

DSC06242_zpsl3mxrgwl.jpg

DSC06248_zps2axgl5l5.jpg

DSC06249_zpsdlqpxxix.jpg

I was there for a good couple of hours, but I can see how people could easily spend more, especially when you start to look at the smaller details, such as what the people, which are tiny, are doing in each scene.

DSC06250_zpsf9jy99h5.jpg

DSC06252_zpsff87ugod.jpg

DSC06254_zpscm0pxtbe.jpg

DSC06259_zpsycw8uu1g.jpg

DSC06264_zpszybcpgcg.jpg

DSC06266_zpstpe4ty5i.jpg

I wanted to see what the Dom was like at night, and since this place wasn’t too far away, had a quick wander over for an hour.

Hamburger Dom Part 2

DSC06272_zpseljh4ym1.jpg

DSC06274_zps4p1jtpnc.jpg

DSC06275_zpsxpwwqotx.jpg

It goes without saying that the atmosphere at a place like this is massively elevated at night.

DSC06277_zps23ffnyfi.jpg

DSC06279_zpskkflb9kx.jpg

DSC06303_zpskmdaczwp.jpg

DSC06283_zpshwgdcoe7.jpg

DSC06285_zpsehqmjllb.jpg

I rode Testrekke again. Still meh.

DSC06287_zpskx5iakvk.jpg

DSC06290_zpsbo8jagd1.jpg

DSC06298_zpsvwvg7v3l.jpg

DSC06306_zpse0e5hvqs.jpg

DSC06309_zpsdl5gt06f.jpg

DSC06311_zpshv7b5aqk.jpg

DSC06314_zpsd9b6pkry.jpg

Dr. Archibald’s whatever it’s called looked especially impressive. It was open this time, but after standing in the exact same spot in the queue for almost half an hour, I ditched it.

DSC06316_zpsbsdub1cv.jpg

DSC06317_zpsxpf3rtb6.jpg

DSC06321_zpsyd2rz0as.jpg

DSC06324_zpsleukxteq.jpg

Final few photos for the day……ugh.

DSC06344_zpsqs9voyqm.jpg

DSC06349_zpsmytawhzq.jpg

DSC06357_zps1ia7gp8k.jpg

DSC06359_zpsgtthmr23.jpg

DSC06366_zpsqepmxtf1.jpg

DSC06371_zpswjbc1lpk.jpg

DSC06374_zps5cuhntkv.jpg

That was the last of 3 nights in Hamburg. The next morning was a train to Berlin, so the next bit of the report won’t have creds.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Your views of Heide sound eerily similar to how mine felt - although you seem to have been able to articulate it slightly better.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of this trip. :)

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Miniatur Wonderland blew me away in that first room with the mountain. I expected big, but not that big.
You got all the miniatur cred pics like a pro.

When Colossos was alive, Heide could hold her head above Thorpe.
Now there's not much in it, but at least it's run better.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
I wish Heide would do a Liseberg and replace their somewhat underwhelming Intamin Accelerator with a great iSpeed/Helix/Firestorm one. Otherwise, their current coaster selection is large, but quite uneven. And the Colossos situation is </3

That Limit runs even worse than Chinese-manufactured SLCs is quite a statement. Even worse the really wonky ones with the disfigured Sidewinder?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Ok, so I might be exaggerating slightly, but there's honestly not to much in it when you're talking about the worst of the Vekoma SLCs. I'm not in any way saying that the Chinese SLCs are anything other than s**t, but they're pretty comparable to Vekoma's version.

In the interests of completeness, I’m going to throw Berlin pictures in even though there was nothing park-related here.

Day 12

I got a train from Hamburg to Berlin, arriving at around lunchtime, dumping bags in the hotel and going for a wander. I walked from the hotel (near the zoo for anyone who knows Berlin) to the Victory Monument and from there down to the Reichstag/Brandenburg Gate.

DSC06380_zpstusqs9hg.jpg

DSC06381_zpspxjuswsx.jpg

DSC06387_zps4xwtab9l.jpg

DSC06391_zpso0jkbtlo.jpg

DSC06394_zpsyl8umgmx.jpg

DSC06395_zpseu0841sj.jpg

DSC06398_zpsfglqupt9.jpg

DSC06399_zps3edmvcpn.jpg

DSC06407_zpsbjjkhra4.jpg

DSC06413_zpssjhsr6wc.jpg

DSC06423_zpskhvolqz0.jpg

Holocaust Memorial thing then down to a museum next to a fairly long section of the Berlin Wall.

DSC06420_zpstrxb0oip.jpg

DSC06416_zpsicpn39qo.jpg

DSC06426_zpsxjogig2l.jpg

DSC06433_zpsln6c9swc.jpg

DSC06436_zpsb8yrzaei.jpg

DSC06441_zpsroinwmxp.jpg

And from there to Checkpoint Charlie.

DSC06452_zpscn2df9ga.jpg

DSC06453_zpsaab12vb9.jpg

Can’t remember what this square was:

DSC06460_zpsql3ejhkf.jpg

DSC06462_zpsofbwmkje.jpg

DSC06466_zpsova2nxut.jpg

I’m obviously just chucking stuff in without any detail, but this was a whole afternoon of walking around. From there it was back to the area with my hotel, which also has this bombed church.

DSC06467_zpsauftuxci.jpg

That evening, I went to see another show, Disney’s Hunchback of Notre Dame. I’d seen a poster during my wander about that day and it turns out it was very close to the hotel.

DSC06470_zpshizli67b.jpg

DSC06471_zpseedpmbuu.jpg

Hunchback is easily the most underrated of the Disney films for me, especially musically, so I was excited to see this. It didn’t disappoint. It was closer to the original novel than the Disney version – being much, much darker, but using the Disney’s music. It was outstanding.

Walk back t the hotel via the church and zoo:

DSC06480_zpsz8qpltlf.jpg

DSC06481_zpsmnk3ihfb.jpg

Day 13

This was another day in Berlin. I was meeting friends in the evening, so decided to spend the day around the Museum Island area, buying some combo ticket to get into all of them.

DSC06488_zpsagkjectq.jpg

DSC06491_zpsgqsfkqxl.jpg

DSC06494_zpsakhc0fqq.jpg

The weather was soooooooooo much better than the day before, so it was kind of a shame to spend a lot of the day inside looking at old s**t. The museums were very impressive though.

The first one had a load of Egyptian stuff.

DSC06504_zps8nfbc18c.jpg

DSC06519_zpsb9s8hhey.jpg

DSC06528_zps6zbfyp4e.jpg

DSC06529_zpsf1i86zdo.jpg

I had no idea this was here, so was pretty stunned to see it. I’d assumed it was in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo since, along with Tutankhamun’s death mask, it’s easily the most iconic Egyptian relic. No cameras/photos in the room, so this a bit crap quality zooming in from another area.

DSC06506_zpsgb0ldnql.jpg

Name the cred:

DSC06526_zpsruf7rfgi.jpg

The next museum then, which included the Ishtar Gate from Babylon.

DSC06539_zpsmzcieh9q.jpg

DSC06542_zpsvdxy3bfa.jpg

DSC06545_zpsgdovuwnp.jpg

DSC06546_zpsege9elhh.jpg

DSC06551_zpsxqejbhaj.jpg

DSC06557_zpslaxkn9pb.jpg

DSC06562_zpspgyuckg6.jpg

I also did some huge gallery, then another couple of museums.

DSC06575_zpscojust4f.jpg

DSC06582_zpsvdxnxq1w.jpg

DSC06599_zpsdbbxrgor.jpg

DSC06633_zpssk2mhspd.jpg

DSC06601_zpsfn9gtecj.jpg

DSC06608_zpsvarphgqy.jpg

DSC06612_zpspvevbqir.jpg

DSC06614_zpsflxkfm2d.jpg

All museumed-out by this point:

DSC06628_zpsiupsgwhq.jpg

Again, I haven’t bothered going into any detail here, but the whole Museum Island area is fab with some absolutely amazing collections spread out between them all. Definitely recommended, but probably better to spread them over a couple of days to avoid the inevitable museum fatigue.

I met friends, had food and drinks next to the river, went to some rooftop club and left Berlin the next day. It’s a fab city, easily my favourite in Germany alongside Munich, but I wish I’d have given myself an extra couple of days really.

Back to creds in the final parts. Only two parks left.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Wow, those structures in the Pergamon Museum are incredible. I'd always sort of known/heard about it, but never really realised it was in Berlin! Excellent!

Sounds like a pretty nice city, and a good couple of cred-free days (I'm starting to think these are equally as important to the cred-full days).

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ The wing with the actual Pergamon is closed for renovations for quite a while, so I nearly didn't bother. Luckily there's still enough to see in there though.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Day 14 - Leipzig

The next day was spent waking up late, taking a quick train ride to the final city of the trip – Leipzig - and having a bit of a wander. I had no expectations about the place at all really since it was just being used as a base for the two final parks of the trip.

The hotel was just a 10-minute walk from the main station, and just a couple of minutes from the old-town area.

DSC06637_zpsveaswbdw.jpg

DSC06638_zps4ttwxgty.jpg

DSC06640_zpsiawpgvuc.jpg

The main square had been set up for free evening concerts, with food/booze stalls around the outside of it.

DSC06642_zpsxwdta1wx.jpg

DSC06643_zpsnqkly9gp.jpg

DSC06645_zpsxqigv7iz.jpg

DSC06647_zpsjep6r67f.jpg

DSC06648_zpsvkjiypwz.jpg

There’s a big history with music apparently. Bach is buried in this church.

DSC06656_zps3dcpf35v.jpg

DSC06658_zpsmwrnzi8p.jpg

A little outside the old town – literally just a few minutes’ walk though – is the town hall and some other big old buildings.

DSC06660_zps6pg5rxnr.jpg

DSC06662_zpsgjuaderk.jpg

DSC06663_zps9icztxxl.jpg

DSC06664_zpsptwkprtp.jpg

DSC06665_zps0yrb9m1m.jpg

Nature:

DSC06669_zps2epkgemk.jpg

DSC06676_zpsa6kuwg7c.jpg

DSC06677_zpsiu6xsjg5.jpg

DSC06679_zpsrylufith.jpg

DSC06680_zpsitflwaqz.jpg

DSC06685_zpscqmbusvs.jpg

DSC06689_zpst9nxwr5f.jpg

DSC06691_zpst05dfgio.jpg

DSC06697_zps2ppgx7sc.jpg

DSC06698_zpsww9zkx7n.jpg

DSC06971_zpsgf8zwuy2.jpg

So yeah, it was all quite lovely really. The city itself is quite big, but, as a visitor, everything you’d be interested in is in a fairly compact little area. I didn’t really do anything here other than mooch around a bit, but it was definitely one of the nicer places I stayed during the trip.

Day 15 – Freizeitpark Plohn

The main reason for heading down to Leipzig was to get to this place, which I’d always fancied since reading very good things about their woodie. The park itself isn’t particularly close to Leipzig though, and was the most pain-in-the-arse park of the trip really.

It wasn’t really difficult, but there was an element of winging it since, for some reason, local bus companies in the area haven’t bothered to submit scheduling information to Google, so public transport options just don’t show up on Google maps. Even China can manage this, and Google is f**king banned there.

For anyone interested, the best way I found was taking a train to Zwickau (fairly regular from Leipzig – there’s a station right under the old town square) then bus V66 for about half an hour (not regular, so search for times and get the train from Leipzig accordingly – there’ll be a bit of a wait at Zwickau Station), followed by a short walk. In total, it took a couple of hours to get to the park. Driving from Leipzig would be an hour and a half minimum, so there really wasn’t much in it.

DSC06700_zpsxqhhfmjq.jpg

I’d booked and printed a ticket already, which was totally f**king pointless since you still had to wait in the queue to show the ticket at the window, rather than bypassing it. Stupid.

I came back to this on my way out of the park. Horrible thing which span way, way too much and made me feel sick.

DSC06702_zpsvm4j7uzx.jpg

Theming and the first cred:

DSC06704_zpsmjunpgd9.jpg

DSC06711_zpscyvwa8iy.jpg

DSC06707_zpsrli9syf9.jpg

DSC06714_zpsfat2fmtg.jpg

DSC06715_zps7gsuaiw7.jpg

This dark ride was a joke. It’s a tiny, flat oval that’s over in about 30 seconds.

DSC06716_zpsvpvijzgc.jpg

DSC06717_zps8j4q4yyh.jpg

The main reason for heading down here, El Toro:

DSC06723_zpsxd1zkdv2.jpg

DSC06725_zpst1hsyxno.jpg

DSC06727_zpshsbcnqow.jpg

The park was dead, so everything, including this, was walk-on, which was great news. Too bad it’s a bit s**t then. There’s nothing particularly wrong with it, but it just doesn’t do much. I remember reading rave reviews about it – can’t remember who from now – but it was actually just really dull.

DSC06729_zpscn4ccmtz.jpg

DSC06730_zpsfqnaepzw.jpg

DSC06732_zpsakjofsyv.jpg

The use of space is very good though since it interacts with the nearby log flume, which I’m assuming was there first.

DSC06734_zpsv6agmh9b.jpg

This haunted walkthrough thing was gash:

DSC06735_zps6yltypb5.jpg

DSC06738_zpsgpgo2lxc.jpg

DSC06739_zpsrrhftm5v.jpg

DSC06740_zps02yrrn1b.jpg

This coaster was really, really piss poor:

DSC06741_zpskrbpdc4x.jpg

DSC06743_zpsavbdxzfm.jpg

DSC06745_zpst2ldxg8k.jpg

I didn’t bother with the flat rides, not that there were many.

DSC06746_zpso5yhmnqe.jpg

The park as whole was nice enough really, without having anything that looked particularly outstanding.

DSC06747_zpssx2psbbj.jpg

+1:

DSC06748_zps8qwrsafi.jpg

DSC06766_zpss2unzjle.jpg

One of the better things here was Miniwah, a culturally-inappropriate, indoor, powered mine train which actually had some pretty decent theming.

DSC06750_zpsuo6sagpm.jpg

DSC06753_zpsggimwr8x.jpg

DSC06755_zpsi13pd4xw.jpg

There was quite a fab restaurant in the same building with an animatronic band.

DSC06756_zpslbe9k4fp.jpg

More El Toro with the log flume, which was pretty decent. As with every park on this rip though, the water was f**king putrid. It seems that none of them use their own water systems; they just share water with stagnant ponds.

DSC06760_zpsyoxedwg2.jpg

DSC06762_zps99dppddz.jpg

DSC06763_zpszbse987k.jpg

The funhouse looked quite fab. I didn’t do it though since I didn’t want to look like a paedo.

DSC06765_zps9usx75de.jpg

A fairly large section of the park is taken up with one of those “fairytale forest” things. You know, like the one in Efteling that people w**k over but is actually a bit s**t.

DSC06767_zps4ju4rhjz.jpg

DSC06770_zps3im1umam.jpg

DSC06773_zps5nudnlyu.jpg

DSC06812_zpstbaiu8cw.jpg

DSC06775_zpshdgpcbff.jpg

DSC06778_zpsaxvz1mue.jpg

Dinosaur boat ride. Kind of.

DSC06780_zpswyuvkqgf.jpg

DSC06781_zpsxbbyfwac.jpg

DSC06782_zps7htoutpa.jpg

DSC06790_zpscgw95fxz.jpg

Bridge to a dead end with a tiny drop tower.

DSC06784_zpshjphhm9l.jpg

DSC06792_zpsedsvc2uw.jpg

DSC06793_zps2vodzsnp.jpg

There was a new coaster here, which has strangely been plonked in the absolute worst area of the park. It seemed like an old entrance area, but was just horribly run down.

DSC06795_zpsketqqrfs.jpg

DSC06796_zpsw7x4rxez.jpg

DSC06799_zpsfq9r8s0z.jpg

DSC06801_zpsihplpur4.jpg

Heading out, I popped into a show. Jokes.

DSC06816_zpsarhjkv6l.jpg

DSC06815_zps4occqojx.jpg

I feel like I’ve been a bit unfair to the place really since for a small, local, out-of-the-way park, it’s actually really nice. It’s just that I was no attraction that went beyond “just ok” and I think I’d been expecting something a bit more major than it was. They’ve announced one of those Mack “Lost Gravity” things recently, so that’s f**king annoying.

I was ready to leave, but the next bus out was almost an hour away. Plus, the connection time with the train back to Leipzig was very, very tight. If the bus was even a couple of minutes late, I’d have missed the connection and have to wait around another hour.

Instead, I walked for about half an hour to a nearby town, Lengenfeld, which had tram/light rail connections back to Zwickau. Again, the whole trip took a couple of hours.

DSC06819_zpsjdtj2k80.jpg

DSC06822_zpsf9pyys5s.jpg

I’d seen posters in Leipzig about some local fair, so found out where that was and went for a look. It was about a half-hour walk out of the city itself, but was pleasant enough.

DSC06973_zpsu5gntabd.jpg

DSC06975_zps4aqqpwiq.jpg

DSC06976_zpsezweddcq.jpg

It was f**king s**t, though. I was hoping for a cred or two, but there was f**k all. I was in and out in less than ten minutes, just to walk for another half an hour to get back.

DSC06977_zpsilirrdvs.jpg

DSC06978_zpsopzelykp.jpg

DSC06979_zps16b0okbj.jpg

DSC06980_zpshrbrt3fn.jpg

DSC06981_zpsbvjkrvxy.jpg

I could’ve got a tram – there’s a very extensive system - but, again, the system didn’t show up on Google maps, so I thought it would just be easier to walk than piss about trying to find the right one.

DSC06983_zpskcgwyfeu.jpg

I got to see this sexual assault statue though, so it was all good.

DSC06985_zps0bnetkje.jpg

It was getting dark by the time I got back into the city, so had a quick wander to see it at night.

DSC06986_zpscihckezy.jpg

DSC06988_zpsxocplscw.jpg

I say “wander”, but I had to basically walk through it to get to the hotel anyway.

DSC06991_zpsllmkqssz.jpg

DSC06995_zpsqvtcjwku.jpg

DSC06996_zpsnalfiu5b.jpg

DSC07000_zpsxqoqyrxy.jpg

DSC07001_zps6rpehjyn.jpg

DSC07002_zps2rsau3pw.jpg

DSC07005_zps1pj58iwd.jpg

DSC07007_zpsjsqlbnas.jpg

Yep, still all very nice.

One park left. Thank f**k.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Shame about the fair, could have been a nice little bonus.

Shame about El Toro disappointing as well. As much as I hated that place, I found it good enough to make things (sort of) worthwhile.

Driving from Leipzig would be an hour and a half minimum, so there really wasn’t much in it.
You underestimate the power of a car in Germany.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Final day of this trip then.

Day 16 – Belantis

This place was much easier to get to than Plohn, being just outside the city to the south and with much more regular connections (train to Markleeburg and a bus from there). I hadn’t really expected much based on the coaster collection, but the park was actually really pleasant.

DSC06828_zps5wq5rykc.jpg

DSC06829_zpsrv5y74gr.jpg

DSC06830_zpsdg90kwod.jpg

I headed for Huracan first and waited about 10 minutes. The park wasn’t busy, but they were still managing to run a few trains and getting them out consistently quite quickly.

DSC06833_zpsuogdqhtq.jpg

DSC06847_zpsre1siqmy.jpg

DSC06837_zpsxau38wkk.jpg

I’ve never heard anything good about this, but I thought it was actually ok. The corkscrews at the end were quite vile, but everything leading up to those was actually pretty decent.

DSC06850_zpsfq2dgipz.jpg

DSC06853_zpsskldxrsj.jpg

Next to it, as you've probably noticed in a couple of earlier pictures, is one of these spiteful little contraptions.

DSC06846_zpsvsd4rex3.jpg

DSC06855_zpsaxhriupy.jpg

DSC06856_zpssn4q54je.jpg

DSC06858_zpsnogmrw84.jpg

DSC06865_zps82yrnpcd.jpg

DSC06867_zpst7eay0cz.jpg

The next cred had engineers climbing all over it, which obviously isn’t a good look.

DSC06873_zpsb2bjkd42.jpg

There’s a fab little Madhouse buried underneath it. Well, the madhouse itself is far from the best, but the fact that it’s hidden, seemingly, underground was fab.

DSC06870_zpsvugv1h3w.jpg

DSC06872_zpsrlbxlgcz.jpg

Still nothing…

DSC06876_zpsy59g5hnc.jpg

DSC06878_zpsqguqg4h8.jpg

DSC06880_zpsq2jqoap1.jpg

DSC06902_zpsacvrypqy.jpg

This thing has always intrigued me.

DSC06903_zpsfskw9tdt.jpg

DSC06881_zpsohqkv0od.jpg

DSC06886_zps2mf89yqk.jpg

It’s literally rubber rafts with no wheels at all. You can feel everything moving underneath the boats. We need more of them; they’re fab. Yet more disgusting cholera water here though.

DSC06890_zpsaydvfii3.jpg

This is the first of this model I’ve done. The queue line had an ok, if cheap, attempt at theming:

DSC06967_zpslvbsvsch.jpg

DSC06969_zpscquhmr5g.jpg

DSC06899_zpslz1zbcsa.jpg

It’s the same as the fairly new thing at Duinrell, which has been added since my visit, and they’re very good for what they are. They’re basically Gerstlauer’s version of a roller skater, but they’re definitely better. More of these too please.

I thought I’d uploaded more pictures of it. Have these instead:

DSC06905_zpsnjavr5qj.jpg

DSC06912_zpsbnfkw8vv.jpg

DSC06906_zpsyujjtlcx.jpg

DSC06962_zps3hd3cd44.jpg

I couldn’t get this f**ker to do anything. Out of 5-6 of these type of things I’ve done, I’ve only ever managed to get one of them spinning. I hate myself.

DSC06914_zpsagufjfjt.jpg

This was open by now though:

DSC06916_zpsw9en119g.jpg

DSC06919_zpsbmappwbj.jpg

DSC06921_zpsfxnd3xwj.jpg

It was fab! Easily my favourite of this model from the 6 I’ve done.

DSC06923_zpsslr7crwu.jpg

DSC06929_zpspjy32mdw.jpg

DSC06932_zpscmtz9vxs.jpg

DSC06938_zpsto8yaofn.jpg

Just going to finish by chucking in whatever photos are left in the upload. Ooooh, construction…

DSC06941_zpspcuf2bnh.jpg

DSC06945_zpslt0uwyuw.jpg

DSC06947_zpsnf98sgfa.jpg

DSC06949_zpslj62hout.jpg

DSC06950_zpsnt1suzcz.jpg

DSC06951_zps4qjsl0sf.jpg

DSC06955_zps83dbxify.jpg

DSC06970_zpsyvwougou.jpg

Not really much to say then apart from this place was a pleasant surprise, despite having no real massive draw to get me there in the first place. I’d expected for this place to be a bit of a cred run, with Plohn being the main reason for being in the area, but I found the opposite to be true really.

And thus, finally, concludes this trip report. It was quite a fab trip really. My first instincts with trips is to try new countries, but I figured that apart from Munich, and despite being in the country numerous times, I’d actually seen f**k all of Germany outside of a few parks, so it was great to get to see more of it while polishing off some new parks and revisiting a couple of older ones.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
A good final installment. I'm intrigued by the raft ride/log flume/whatever is it - what kind of restraints does it have? Do you actually just float around (could the boats sink!)?

Sounds like a good trip, both cred-wise and culture-wise. Thanks for the write up!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ They have a lap bar, and yeah they just float around. They don't exactly feel inflated since they're rock solid - the sides have no give at all - but you can feel everything through the floor: rollers, movement of water, bend of the boat etc.

The water's not deep, so I don't think properly sinking would ever be an issue.