What's new

Germany & NL - Movie Park/Phantasialand/Slagharen/Hellendoorn/De Waarbeek & Düsseldorf CULTURE

davidm

Strata Poster
So those who pay any attention to my random waffling TRs might recall that around June last year I had a big trip around Germany.

Those with a particularly keen mind might recall that I had managed to turn up at Phantasialand before they went and opened that
stupid Taron coaster and that had vexed me a little.

So when it came to booking time off from work this year I booked a few random days in July with the tentative plan of a quick trip back
to have a look at stupid Taron and maybe get a bit of other goonery done too.

Well this is that then...

Wednesday 26th July - Movie Park

Goon o'clock alarm set, 7am flight from Manchester (was delayed a bit which was annoying), pick up hire car in Dusseldorf, find the GPS
on the phone will not lock in so guess at a general direction of travel by aiming for Oberhausen, spot some signs for Movie Park exits
off the motorway autobahn and find a car park.

Only as you can tell its a bloomin' overflow car park - this does not bode well does it. And so its a bit of a trek from there to the
park itself, but I get into Movie Park Germany around noon.

Have been here before, in 2006. Have been near here since then, but never felt the need to come back as I thought it was a bit rubbish
before.

However, they had only gone and built some interesting looking new Mack this season hadn't they, so seemed like the time to give it another
go.

Park was pretty busy (hence the overflow car park), but was open until 8pm so I figured I had enough time, in hindsight however I would
definitely have got a quickpass of some sort...

Obviously headed straight for the new Mack, Star Trek: Operation Enterprise (snappy name huh?) first thing.

And joined a burdenous Q.

Q moved pretty slowly unfortunately, so spend a good deal of time in the main cattle-pen Q room, done up with a few Star Trek prop
things and a big video-screen thing - was pretty well done to be fair.

Eventually you get to the first batching point, there was a crew member standing here normally all dressed up in Trekkie-gear and so
on (but had wandered off when I took this snap)

(note the "entrance to holodeck" stuff on the wall - subtly done as they don't ever mention it but you enter a "holodeck" here and
there is similar after the ride exit - so the whole ride is "really" on a holodeck rather than the "adventure" that they are pretending
you are taking part in. Nicely done anyway.)

Once let in there is a short video ("welcome to the star ship" type thing). And then they let you thru to a transporter room

where there is another video ("oh no something has gone wrong, you are our only hope" type thing)

Then they "transport" you up to the bridge of the Enterprise for pre-show part 3 ("blah blah Borg, blah blah energy shield" type thing)

then they ruin all that pre-show pretence by wandering over a little bridge thing (mixing with those exiting the ride) and into the
ride station.

At which point I realise why the Q has been so slow because they are only running one train - pathetic on such a busy day really (its
taken me 45 minutes to get thru the Q and preshows).

You enter the station at the back and the Q for front row isn't too many cycles so wait that out for my first go.

Ride is pretty interesting mechanically ; screen drops, train rolls forward (into a kinda shuttle-bay area), track then moves sideways
to line you up with the launch track. Lock and load and we are off ; forwards a bit backwards a lot, forwards a lot more and off
into a top hat, funny immelmann/roll/dive loop thingy then the building ride thru (and the building is made up like a Borg cube - great
stuff) and another roll before you hit the brakes and its all "well done, you've saved the Enterprise" or something like that.

Not the longest, nor the fastest, nor the highest, nor the most exciting thing, but actually really great fun. I liked it!

There were actually a few more +1s for me here today too - firstly the family suspended Vekoma Jimmy Neutron's Atomic Flyer
which has been built since my previous visit. Was a bit different (smaller?) that the 'usual' family inverts and also had a horrible
Q for it (another 45 minutes or so, ugh)

Moving on to another long Q, Backyardigans: Mission to Mars, this was here as the Rocket Rider Rollercoaster when I had been
before, but for some reason I didn't ride it then. Anyway it has been renamed (and a load of rock themeing removed too) and I Q'd for
this for another far-too-long time.

Two laps though ; whoo.

Needed some lunch by then, so wandered around looking for something sustaining - ended up near the (as I remembered it) horrible
painful wooden coaster, but there was a sign outside saying "not working" so thought I'd be saved Q-ing for an hour just for PAIN.

(had interpreted that "technical overhaul" message as meaning it was out for the count to be honest)

Next door to the woody was their Walking Dead maze - looked OK from the outside but I wasn't planning to do it unless I had a lot of
spare time, and I didn't so I didn't. (Have done plenty of WD mazes at various HHNs so the novelty factor wasn't working for me)

So grabbed some food there. Just as I finished stuffing my face with a big slice of pizza, some locals nearby stood up and got all
agitated and rushed off. Odd I thought, then I noticed that they had rushed off towards the woody, which had now has that sign removed
and had opened!

Headed in then, and found myself on the first train with no Q at all - result. Picked a non-wheel seat out of fear of roughness
and was soon riding Bandit. And it was fine. Really quite enjoyed it. Maybe the last 1/4 was pretty rough but the majority of
it was just fine - lots of evidence of retracking on it too, so well done Movie Park for that.

Emboldened by my Bandit experience I thought "why not give the other horrible coaster a second chance" and headed into MP-Xpress.

Awesome themeing;

Back to the long Qs though - probably 30+ minutes again. 2 train ops though, but that just meant one train was sitting on the brake
run for a while really.

Anyway that was still horrible. What was I thinking. I know how to ride these so my ears don't get smashed by the awful restraints that
seem designed specifically to smash your ears, but still managed to exit with a reasonable headache. Ugh.

I recall not long after I was here before that they ripped out a coaster (in fact 2) and replaced it with a disk-o and a Santa Monica
themed area. Had a quick look at it, looked a bit rubbish really (mind you the coaster they removed wasn't great)

Bit of "Jaws" going on?

I still had a +1 to get, had earlier noticed the Q sign for this saying "90 minutes" so was putting it off but felt the time had come.
In the end it was nothing like 90 minutes, probably 30 - which was fine. Van Helsing's Factory is an indoor Gerstlauer bobsled
and lived in a building that formerly housed a Gremlins dark ride which I feel I must have ridden years before but can recall nothing
about - how odd.

Really quite like the themeing on this - all 1930s cars stocked up with gatling guns (to go off killing the vampires apparently) and
the coaster was fun too - not very big, but nicely done.

Obviously it being an indoor ride, theres not many good pics!

I had "done" all the coasters bar the mouse by then, was heading towards it when they were announcing the stunt show starting soon
as I passed the entrance, so diverted in there for a sit down for a while.

Was ok, not a patch on Disney/Mirabilandia's shows but still a lot of skill involved I reckon.

The Q for the mouse had died down a lot by now - had been into overflow Q-ing earlier, so had a spin on that with 15 mins wait - I
can live with that. Its called Ghost Chasers now, had been Mad Manor before. Do they think if they rename something then the GP
will think its a new ride perhaps?

Rode the rapids after that - they are actually pretty good, all themed to a mystery, in the past they used to be themed to Neverending
story but that was all ripped out before even my previous visit. The rapids themselves are hidden from the rest of the park which is
quite novel - and a fair amount of them take place indoors (well in a big shed anyway).

Next door to the rapids used to be a big Ice Age dark ride that I did remember - but this has vanished from the map - its all still
there it seems though, just shuttered. Entrance way pretending its just some random seating area;

Worryingly I seem to be more fascinated by disused theme park rides than running ones?

There was one more ride I fancied doing before I went off to get some coaster rerides, and that was the immersive tunnel thing
"Lost Temple". Not heard great things about this, but was curious to see if it was as bad as the one at Cinecitta that I had ridden
the previous month?

The preshow/Q-area was all pretty good though

There was some fake-lift then some underground caverns then you get on the ride vehicle (which actually moves forward into the
show area unlike in Italy) then some dino-video runs for a while. The film isn't great, the animation is a bit rubbish but the whole
thing is a LOT better than the Italian one - not a patch on the Kong ride at Universal though which is pretty similar technology
and story. Wasn't rubbish, wasn't great.

They did have a pet dino at the exit.

Right then, 18:30 by now, only 90 operating minutes left in the day - needed to reride Star Trek as much as possible then. Q was
still filling the main Q room so I wasn't too hopeful I'd get more than 1 ride in before they shut the Q (they have an annoying habit
of shutting Qs early in Germany it seems). Luckily they had switched to 2 train ops at some point in the afternoon though so the Q
ran a lot quicker (twice as quick in fact - d'oh) and despite a minor breakdown (stuck in the transporter room for far too long, god
knows what that was doing to my DNA) and having to endure the by now burdenous preshows again and again, managed a couple more rides.
Didn't get the very back but rode near the back - the reverse spike much better there than the front. Good fun ride though overall.

Tried to get another ride on Van Helsing too, but they had shot that Q at 1930. Bastards.

MUCH better day than my previous visit here (when I borderline hated the place I think) but still a bit of a burdenous day. Enjoyed
bits of it but having to Q hugely for crappy coasters was not fun at all - as I said earlier, in hindsight should have fast passed it
in some manner (not many peeps seemed to be using the fast pass either).

Was staying in Oberhausen that night (same place I stayed at 11 years earlier - hows that for a lack of imagination?) but I knew I
could get some decent food options nearby (was next to the big Centro shopping center).

Opted for a "brewhaus", where they brewed on site and served traditional German food.

Place was empty, still took far too long to get served though - not German efficiency I feel.

Got there in the end though ; this was a "Mulvany's" Dunkel (dark) beer - was quite nice, like a dark tasty lager really.

And the traditional scran

Bit knackered by now - long day and reasonably early start the next morning too...

Last edited:

davidm

Strata Poster
Thursday 27th July - Phantasialand

Had been debating whether to stay in one of the Phanta hotels or not, but summer season => no hotel ERT and they are stupid expensive
at this time and I'd spent 3 nights in Matamba last year so there was no great novelty in it - so I saved significant pennies and
did it as a day trip from Oberhausen instead.

Turned up around 930 and was amused to be directed to a rear car park, the access road for which ran right thru the park itself, not
that you (or indeed I) would realise it - very clever these Phatasiapeeps I think.

Was parked right by the rear entrance so didn't have to suffer the 1970 bus terminal look of the main entrance and was soon inside
q-ing up for Raik in the (slight) rain. Was q-ing for Raik first for two reasons, firstly I didn't realise it had a SRQ (just didn't
expect one on a kiddie coaster) but mainly I had spent a little time a few weeks ago reconciling my coaster-count on coaster-count.com
compared to my personal spreadsheet (there was always some discrepancy between what I count and what coaster-count.com counts - but I
got it down to ticking the right boxes on coaster-count.com and ignoring the two Mobius coasters that it insists on listing twice (Racer
and the Grand National)) - anyway that exercise had put me at 894 before the trip started, so +4 yesterday and one of today's coasters
was going to be a milestone :) So that was going to be Taron, so I needed to ride Raik first. Goon.

Only I seemed to be standing in a Q moving nowhere for a little too long - more than the 15 minutes that the ride was meant to be starting
up for anyway. Taron had started cycling with passengers meanwhile - and then they cleared the Raik Q - broken. :(

Disaster? Well not really, just resolved to get the Klugheim stuff later on and headed off to "do" the rest of the park first - well the
coasters at any rate.

Turned out to be an excellent plan because all the other punters had flocked to Taron first up and thus there were negligible Qs for
any of the other coasters first thing. Something that given the burdenous Qs the day before gladdened my heart somewhat.

Couple of walk of rides for Black Mamba then to start the day - nothing wrong with that, its still a great coaster and had been
by far my favourite in the park on my previous visits here.

Weather was bit ugly all day so I don't think may of these pics are going to turn out great - it was raining slightly first thing
(B&Ms in the rain are great) but stopped soon after - was just overcast and a bit grey the rest of the day - didn't really bother me
but does affect the snaps a bit unfortunately.

Colorado Adventure up next (was a 10 min Q for this for some reason, perhaps it was just late opening since as soon as the line
started moving I was on pretty quickly). This is a really good mine train - its HUGE and right in the middle of the park, yet vast
amounts of it are hidden from view. I think I like this more the more I ride it, great stuff anyway.

Headed across the park for the indoor coasters next ; first up Winjas:Force swiftly followed by Winjas:Fear - few minutes
wait for each (less for Force as the path to it is a bit shorter after the lines split) but nothing to complain about.

Great things these are, really well done inside the somewhat faded looking Wuze Town building.

Almost forget to ride Temple of the Night Hawk then as I started to head back away from it before I realised my dopeyness and
double-backed - wouldn't be surprised to see this go in a few years to be honest, not that it was bad or anything, just that its not
up to the sterling standard that the place is setting for itself these days. The station is a bit grim and theres no "show" to any of
it really and the entrance is stuck down the back of a alleyway like affair, like the forgotten coaster of Phantasialand. Quite enjoyed
my ride - no pics though.

Coasters all done (apart from the new 2) headed back to sort that out. Pausing briefly to see if there were any gaps behind the signage
for their next ride. There wasn't.

Q-times looked OK for everything that wasn't Taron or Raik, but I now headed for them anyway.

Was then that I spotted the SRQ for Raik - deep joy. Was on in 5 minutes, the only peeps ahead of me in the SRQ was a family
of 4 - with reasonably small children involved too, honestly do they not understand the S in SRQ or something!

Was good enough for a kiddie coaster - interesting loading platform and then whizzing around the Klugheim infrastructure is pretty cool
even if its on the kiddie ride rather than the main event.

So concerning that main event, #899 done it was time! The SRQ had been roped off for it when I wandered past earlier in the day so I
was prepared to do the full Q but it had been opened by now so headed into that instead. There is a staff member assigning seats to
everyone, and then picking punters from the SRQ when needed - worked really well (not sure that I've seen SRQs work well on 2 seat
rides before). There were a fair few punters ahead of me in the SRQ so wasn't walk-on by any stretch, maybe 15 minutes wait, but
I was happy with that.

So Taron then, no longer "stupid Taron" for me, rather "lovely Taron" I think. Great stuff, really excellent near misses with
all the scenery, great launches (second rolling launch is brilliant) and the drama of the thing - first half all low down and then
after the second launch you are suddenly up on top of the ride - all really really good.

OK milestone #900 done, time for some lunch :)

Having been here so recently I wasn't really needing to "do" lots of the lesser stuff so skipped a load of rides that I would normally
have had a go on (planning to just do Taron as much as I could later on), but Chiapas is a brilliant ride anyway so had a walk on
SRQ ride on that (normal Q was minor anyway). Great fun - especially disco-room, horrible restraints though.

Indoor drop ride Mystery Castle is good fun - must have got the long cycle on this too as was different to when I rode it last year

OK about that cycling of Taron then, mid afternoon by now and I just use the SRQ to get 5 rides in about an hour - the SRQ dynamic is
odd, first few time is was 10-15 minutes, then suddenly there was only like 3 peeps ahead of me when I joined it, then the next time
it was rammed with like 50 people ahead of me - weird. The excellent operations keep it moving though, 4 trains on the thing and so
they need to be shifting the thing quickly - and they were ; its got really good throughput.

Right I'll be critical now. Taron is good, very very good. Really enjoyed it, great fun. Its not without its faults though. The first
tunnel you hit not long after the first launch is just bare concrete - really lets the themeing down (if the rest of the themeing was
not so good you would not care of course) - could have painted it at least? And towards the end, trimmed something awful, really kills
it just as you are getting to the "wow" bit on top of Klugheim. It is one of the best rides there is though, but just "one of".

Take a break and have a wander to take some photos (most of those above taken 'now' in fact rather than 'then'). A bit later I head
back for a couple more rides via the SRQ though

The latter of those 2 rides the SRQ was longer than the normal Q though (at 30m compared to 20 for the normal - they don't post the
time for the SRQ outside so its a bit of a risk) I did take note of someone entering the normal Q as I entered the SRQ though and they
were on before me... so for my last ride I use the normal Q - 25 mins or so and wait for the front too (adding a whole extra 5 mins
to the experience and making some kid in the SRQ very happy as he lucked onto the front with me). Front is very good, had ridden the
back a few times via the SRQ as well so got the full experience. Its definitely worth waiting for the front at some point though, just
for the views.

Was about half seven by now, wanted to get some food at the park before heading off (was an hour+ back to the hotel) so grabbed some
chinese carton noodles. Was just about to leave when I remembered I'd forgotten to ride River Quest, so did that, got a bit wet but
not too damp for the drive back to Oberhausen.

(still have not opened the entrance from Klugheim to RQ yet though - there are signs in Klugheim but no entrance way)

Back at the hotel sometime after 9, bit tired out from a busy day so didn't wander out in search of beers (and the previous night's
almost empty brewhaus didn't imply there was anything lively going on) and so just sat in the hotel bar finishing reading my book
for a while. Awful bland tasteless lager options they had;

but then spotted they had a craft beer menu and they found a nice IPA off in the back room's fridge...

Happy days then. Another early start in the morning though for more goonery...

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Congratulations on reaching 900 @davidm! What an great coaster to celebrate that milestone too :)

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on both parks. Good to know Movie Park is trying to improve their old woodie. Your day at Phantasialand seemed very busy and fun at the same time, and shows how much you can do in this park :eek:

davidm

Strata Poster
Friday 28th July - CRED RUN!

When I was planning this little jaunt I had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted to do for 2 days (see above) but that left me another
2 and a bit (nearly 3) days to do something with. I started thinking about some major diversion to get to some places I hadn't been
before, but eventually decided that just involved far too much driving for a short break and settled upon a bit of driving on a little
cred-run (today) and then dump the car back and spend the weekend in the city (Düsseldorf) just to have a looksee (and try some of their
local beers).

So cred-run starts with a little 2 hour drive North and into another country and I get to Attractiepark Slagharen.

I had been here last year, really because they had then announced that they were removing their looping star and that seemed like a
worthy reason for a visit - well this year they have opened the replacement for the looping star and so that also seemed like a worthy
reason for a visit. I had not spent much time here last year (quick cred-run and then off to an airport) so hadn't really 'got' the park
at all either, so was willing to give it a better look than the 90 mins I spent here then.

Anyway, whilst on a cred-run, the important things are the creds of course so get into the (fairly busy) park and join a HUGE line for
the new ride.

Line is only HUGE as they have not let anyone into the Q proper yet though - once they do (about 10 minutes late I reckon) the Q moves
pretty quick and I'm soon on Gold Rush.

Burdenous park rules deny me riding with glasses attached with the usual goon strap - ridiculously the op tells me I have to put them
in my pocket, which is vastly LESS secure that riding with a goon-strap. Oh well, rules are rules.

Ride is fun - same sort of launch deal as Star Trek, forwards, backwards up a spike (but into a bit of an overhand unlike Start Trek's
vertical spike), forwards again and thru the course ; top hat, sort of sidewinder, wander around a bit, dive loop ; done.

A lot shorter and gentler than Star Trek - the launch is a bit more like the Premier sky-rockets too (with the overhang rather than the
vertical spike on the back bit) and of course this one is a circuit like the sky-rockets rather than the neat switch-track affair
that Star Trek had. Sky rocket is much more intense than this too.

Daftest loose belongings storage too, appears secure but just opens out to the outside (rather than anywhere just where exiting riders
could get to it), odd.

Fun ride though, I grab a couple of rerides with a fairly minimal Q each time - cool.

The thing is all nicely themed though, stuff in the Q and nice wooden station and gift shoppe

Nice touch to the history on the station platform too;

The thing fills the area where the old Schwarzkopf used to be very well and encompasses a grassy area in front of where the old looper
was too. Once interesting thing is that the park's mini monorail goes right through the site, so the launch track goes underneath the
monorail track for an unusual head-chopper.

Cred has been run, so have a little wander, go up their sky tower again just because its there

Then wander around the rest of the park intending to ride their other coaster just because you do.

But by the time I get there, it has a lengthy Q and to be honest the park has started to annoy me, its a bit crap actually. So a few
minutes after joining the barely moving Q, I bale and figure I need to be moving on elsewhere...

Around 40 minutes drive (some torrential rain on the way not making me happy) I get to Avonturenpark Hellendoorn. Had considered
stopping at the place last year as the Vekoma interested me a little, but the condemned looping star had trumped it.

Since its lunchtime now, all the ticket booths are closed so I enter through the exit (where there is someone to sell me a ticket) and
head off straight for the ageing Vekoma Tornado.

Its pretty rough, but have to say I really enjoyed it - simple enough cluncky lift / loop / single corkscrew and you are done. Whole
thing was op-ed by one person who was doing a sterling job, letting kids re-ride if the row was empty and generally being ace.

Have a couple of rides then, it doesn't get any better but I'm glad I made the visit here.

Last ride was at the back (glutton for punishment me) and when its over the train hasn't quite got back to where it needs to be. This
causes some consternation with the ride op as we are are all still stuck in the restraints. After a few minutes she calls the engineers
and starts to manually release us all (just steps on a lever at the side of each carriage to release the restraint). Being at the back
means we are last to be released, but thats not as bad as the carriage in front, which wouldn't release so after trying for a while
the op gave in and left them there (moving on to release the back carriage). Poor saps.

Anyway the engineer was attending as I left and I saw it running again not long afterwards - so no great panic, just amused me to see
the people trapped by Vekoma. :(

Across the park was cred #2 Donderstenen a little Zierer, very much in the style of a Vekoma junior coaster.

Hadn't spotted the other cred though, so stared at a map for a while before I realised it was indoors and I was standing very close to
it - </not much research was done>

Rioolrat is a Vekoma junior coaster, but its all in the dark so you can't really tell. The Q for it was great, very reminiscent
of the Q for the rat-ride at Lightwater, but probably better as there was a bit more wandering in pitch black sewer tunnels to be
had before you find the station (they only let a trains-worth of peeps into the sewers at a time so you are wandering in the dark
rather than Q-ing in the dark). Anyway the ride was fab too, two laps of a pitch black shed, briefly lit up at one point and then
nipping outside for a moment towards the end. Great stuff this.

Creds done, could then pause for some pretty ropey amusement park cheeseburger and chips while working out if there was anything else
I wanted to ride here?

This looked promising, but had no idea what it was, googled it ; spooky dark ride shooter thing, that'll do...

Unusual vehicle, 4 seats but all facing back-to-back and despite the local scout troop I was Q-ing with saying I had to ride with a
bunch of them I ended up riding on my own (perhaps strange British-man frightened them?). Wasn't bad for a "little" park actually.

I didn't ride anything else, but took a wander around the park to see what was what - quite liked the place actually, miles nicer than
Slagharen anyway.

Reasonable looking concrete rapids;

New for this season (and quite nicely done) disk-o (just the small version tho')

Log flume;

Swings;

So yeah, nice little +3 place.

Some faff exiting the car park where the reader will not read the ticket unless you wave it about 6 inches away from the reader (park
people must get bored of having to help people leave!) and I was off on the road again...

I had 2 possibilities next, either rush back to Germany to get to Schlossbeck (the +1 Tivoli next to Movie Park's car park) or head
for a bit of historical goonery on the way - the latter was much more inviting a prospect so after another 40mins driving I am at
De Waarbeek.

This is a real local kiddie-park - the historical reason for wanting to come here is that they had an ancient steel coaster dating from
1930. Depending on how you interpret "steel coaster" this is either the oldest in the world or the second oldest (the older one being
that one in Spain thats mostly stone with a bit of steel - this one has a full steel support structure you see).

Anyway I turn up at the entrance ticket place and ask for "one please" - the chap is a little confused/worried as I don't have any
kiddies with me for the kiddie-park - so I explain I only want to ride the roller coaster and he's then all "oh you are one of those" :)
With that he's all very friendly and says I can go in for free :) lovely chap! Thanks!

The old coaster Rodelbaan is very cute and has a bit of a Q of little kids riding it, when I get to the front the guy tells
me I can't ride it (alone) - fair enough so I wait a few more dispatches for a group of 2 who are happy to let me ride with them
(theres only 4 to a car).

The thing is a bit more interesting than the usual kiddie-coasters too, a fair bit of up and down to it as it runs its course
around a building and back to the start again (nasty friction brake at the end too)

So that was lovely. And the loveliness extended to my way out when I as I went to pay for a parking token (only €1 I think) and the
girl just gave me the parking token for free too (nice entrance-chap wasn't around as I left but she'd seen him let me in for free earlier).

Wasn't going to make it back to Schlossbeck in time by now so just headed back to Düsseldorf then (1hr 45) - managed the whole 700km
driving on a single gas tank (just) and after a few laps of the airport ring road in search of a petrol station I dumped the hire
car back and got a train into the city for a couple of days of "culture" (and possibly a beer or two)

Awesome view from the hotel window

But that did not matter at all as the hotel was right at the edge of the city's Altstadt (old town) which is where I planned to spend
some time.

After a bit of rest I headed into the Altstadt for a looksee, was quite nice in places

Local tourist information place taunting me with adverts for the Kirmes (which had finished the previous weekend - d'oh, planning)

After a while I settled down for a (large) beer and some food

The beer is "Alt" - which is the local brew, its peculiar it seems just to Düsseldorf and its EVERYWHERE. Barely anyone is drinking
anything else. Indeed the main streets of the Altstadt are just designed to consume as much of it as possible, wall to wall bars all
extending onto the (pedestrianised) streets - a real beer-crawl city. (they call it the "longest bar in the world" apparently)

Anyway wasn't planning a big beer crawl that night but did stop at the main/biggest bar/street drinking zone there ("Uerige") to try
some local culture for a while

The deal is that you drink these little glasses of Alt (as above) - they are 250ml so not big and ~€2 a go (varying slightly with the
establishment). The places just are churning it out, constantly filling the glasses with Alt and the waiters wandering around looking
for anyone appearing thirsty when they will just deposit you a beer and take payment (or add it to a tab they scribble on your beer
mat). All works very well in keeping people lubricated and selling vast amounts of Alt no doubt. Somewhat in trouble if you are after a
blue wicked I would guess though ;)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Seems like a curious day. Gold Rush is definitely the stand out bit of Slagharen then? I'd always gotten the impression that the whole park was nice! :p

Ending the day on copious amounts of beer sounds totally suitable to me. ;)

davidm

Strata Poster
^ Yeah Gold Rush is good.

Slagharen is odd though - its a holiday vacation park as well, its one long "street" full of tat shops and crap with a larger ride area at each end of the street with a few rides in each. But I just didn't like it much, odd/stressy atmosphere, perhaps didn't help it was very busy so lots of slow Qs but I really wanted to get out of the place "Nice" it is not though.
(maybe the "stressy" was just because I was at the start of a cred-run ;) )

Only a couple of beers then, copious didn't really happen until the next day...

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Burdenous park rules deny me riding with glasses attached with the usual goon strap - ridiculously the op tells me I have to put them
in my pocket, which is vastly LESS secure that riding with a goon-strap. Oh well, rules are rules.

Not allowing secured glasses is irritating enough, but that nonsense about putting them in a pocket is quite astonishing!

The Tornado ride op needs a raise though! Seems like he did an excellent job :)

davidm

Strata Poster
Saturday 29th July - Culture?

So I had a full day in Düsseldorf and most of the next day (evening flight home) to occupy with plenty of CULTURE. Will not bore you
too much with al that though, but here are some highlights...

Theres a big communications tower on the Rhein, the Rheinturm and since no CULTURE museums opened until 11am and the tower opened at
10am I headed there first for a up in the sky looksee.

From up there, back towards the city/Altstadt - the patch of green the opposite side of the river to the Altstadt is where the spiteful
Kirmes would have been the previous weekend - pretty convenient for the city then and would have improved this view I think.

360 view (lots of stitched photos) from the top ;

In the harbour area below there were some cool Frank Gehry buildings

CULTURE stop #1 then ; a modern-art gallery "K21 Ständehaus" https://www.kunstsammlung.de

Quite a cool museum, mostly "installations" (there is a K20 place too which I;ll get to tomorrow which is more normal modern art)

Mirror/TV room/selfie - was trippy

CULTURE stop #2 - the Stadtmuseum (city museum) ; bit odd this place, lots of stuff on the history of the city (not much on the
1930s-45 mind) and an absurd "no photos" policy - like there was much interesting to take photos of either. Not great then, but better
than the Cologne Stadtmuseum which I did last year.

CULTURE stop #3, and the third museum of the day is a musuem all about the shipping history of the Rhein, the Schifffahrtsmuseum http://www.freunde-schifffahrtmuseum.de/

Yes its as interesting as it sounds, truth is I only went in it as I wanted to go into the building its housed in which is the only
remaining bit of the old city castle, the Schlossturm

View from the cafe at the top;

This year's Tour de France started just outside here though

Cool statue nearby

CULTURE stop.... oh no forget that, 3 museums in a day is enough CULTURE, searched out a local craft beer bar instead

German wheat beer (Maisel & Friends Citrilla) was nice for a mid-afternoon refresher...

This is the stuff, though, an imperial stout (Wootstout from Berlin's Stone Brewing) 13%!!!

After a bit of a rest (that beer tasted 13% too!) headed back out, this time for local CULTURE (or local beer culture at least rather
than any of that poncy hipster craft beer malarky)

Uerige Alt - €2.05 a go, can't go wrong really.

Schumacher Alt - €2.10 a go and you can taste that extra €0.05 worth I think?

Original Schlüssel Alt - €2 ; didn't think this one was quite as nice as the others

Might have had to get a second opinion though...

Füchschen Alt, €2 again, couple more of these and starting to not really care about the subtleties of the flavours anymore

and the evidence suggests I might have had another Uerige on the way back...

Excellent drinking city then, the Uerige place is bonkers, its about 4 buildings all joined together, all full of tables of people
drinking Alt (mostly) but then the street outside is full of tables too, both sides of the (pedestrianised) street and they have
several pop-up bars set up out there as well serving it to the masses.

Hic.

Last edited:

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero

Not allowing secured glasses is irritating enough, but that nonsense about putting them in a pocket is quite astonishing!

I've had this instruction on Stealth once as a total anomaly. They would have to have been surgically removed from my leg after the brake run if I had agreed to that. Opted to hold them in my hand instead. That was acceptable.
The rules for glasses worldwide are so inconsistent and it bothers me to no end.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Sounds like a very merry time. Not so much a fan of the wheat beer, but I'll take that stout and the view from the towers please. ;)

Oh, and that statue, that's pretty intense!

davidm

Strata Poster
Sunday 30th July - More culture!

Sunday was really the same plan as Saturday, just with different CULTURE museums en route and a flight home instead of copious Alt
consumption towards the end of the day.

Museums still don't open until 11am so wandered up the Rhein for a while instead ; there was a tourist boat about to depart offering
"scenic panoramic views" (which I doubted existed - spoiler : they don't really) so hopped on that to kill an hour.

Boat went up the Rhein (towards the tower) and into the harbour area

Which at least afforded panoramic views of the cool Gehry buildings again

it turned around and went down the Rhein for a bit, close up to the lingering Kirmes travellers...

After it had gone downstream for a while it just turned around again and then seemed to take ages to get back to the dock - suspect they
were just drawing it out to make up an hour's trip

Yeah not very scenic, but did its "kill an hour" job anyway.

CULTURE stop #4 - the main art museum the "Kunstpalast" ( http://www.smkp.de/en/ ).

Was cheap to get in as I didn't want to do the upcharge special exhibition, but the place was a bit dreary to be honest. Confusing
layout and a lot of dull "art".

Their pride and joy was a Ruebens painting, and even that was a bit grotty at the end of this gallery named in its honour.

So not very good that really.

Wandered through a park back towards the Altstadt to get to...

CULTURE stop #5 - the counterpart to yesterday's K21 ; "K20 Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen"

This was all modern-art stuff - lots of modern partings and a few installation pieces, and I really liked this place. Pretty big and
lots of cool stuff

Nice bit of Mondrian (they had a few), I do like that Mondrian

A nice big Jackson Pollock

Some weird installation stuff too - more individual pieces than the whole room installations of the K21 place though

Anyway, was good. Easily my favourite CULTURE stop of the weekend, spent quite a while in there.

Just opposite that was another modern art place;

CULTURE stop #6 - the "Kunsthalle Düsseldorf" - this is more an exhibition space (no fixed collection) that puts on various things

Interesting décor!

Wasn't a patch on the K20/K21 places though - all a bit odd and self referential (one exhibit was a retrospective of some local artists
from the 70s, but if no-one in the 70s ever heard of them what hope have they now...?)

Conveniently all this was just around the corner from the fab craft beer bar, so since I do like that poncy hipster craft beer malarky
quite a lot - and it was mid afternoon by now - I thought I should have one for the road/flight...

An "Altstadt Weizen" - German brewed Hefeweizen, was nice

Thought I'd branch out a bit then, imported (Canadian) "Killer Cucumber Ale" - was nice again, if you are happy drinking beer with a
taste of cucumber I guess...

Wouldn't be a craft beer session without something hoppy so ended up with a "Craftwerk Hop Head IPA 7" which promised a lot (was
quite strong and with a name with "hop" in it) but was a real let down, very bland.

Strolled back to the hotel, picked up my bags and strolled to the train station (which is a bit away from the Altstadt area), some
confusion getting a ticket (maybe caused by my visit to the beer bar, who can tell?) and get a train to the airport.

Realising I'd not had any Alt today, rectified that with the meal I had waiting for my plane

And then at the gate I had exactly enough Euro-change left for a pint, I took that as a sign from above and pretended to be a plane
spotter for a while (A380 outside the window here)

A plane & taxi later home and back to the rat race for a while.

Nice trip though, thoroughly enjoyed it (even if Movie Park is a bit horrible). Düsseldorf is OK, not very scenic nor exciting (apart
from the excellent drinking culture of course ; been to a few German citys recently and while they all do have vast beer drinking
halls and you are never far from being able to find a beer, this was the first place with such a concentrated, coordinated beer scene).
To be fair I only really saw the Altstadt area of the city though, but it was pleasant enough.

davidm

Strata Poster
Final Score

35991654230_9ef8dcf4d0.jpg

Movie Park Germany
Backyardigans: Mission to Mars
Bandit
Ghost Chasers
Jimmy Neutron's Atomic Flyer
MP-Xpress
Star Trek: Operation Enterprise
Van Helsing's Factory

Phantasialand
Black Mamba
Colorado Adventure
Raik
Taron

Temple of the Night Hawk
Winjas Fear
Winjas Force

Attractiepark Slagharen
Gold Rush
Mine Train

Avonturenpark Hellendoorn
Donderstenen
Rioolrat
Tornado

De Waarbeek
Rodelbaan

19 coasters (+11)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
CULTURE. :D

Nice summary and sounds like a good trip. :)

TilenB

Strata Poster
Nice report, David! :)
I had to do the same in Phantasialand to get Taron as my #200 last year. Ride Raik first and then Taron. Only that the smaller coaster didn't break down for me as I was going to ride it. :p

davidm

Strata Poster
Few more processed pics, couple of silly ones;

and some not-so-silly ones, but as I mentioned above the day was rather murky so was struggling to get anything too vibrant :(

Last one is the best, probably just because it has no sky in it so can hide the murky-day-ness :)
(and has had the most processing thrown at it)

Ethan

Strata Poster
Really really enjoyed this report, so thanks for making the effort to do it!

I need to get back to Phantasialand and get to Klugheim, this report has confirmed it. Is Taron rough/rattley at all, by the way? And how would you compare the launches to other coasters, similar to hydraulic launches or less powerful?

davidm

Strata Poster
Nah Taron is not rough/rattly at all, just great fun. The launches are good, accented by being close to all the rock work and such, not as *bang* powerful as the hydraulic ones but still snappy enough to hurt if you are not facing forwards when they kick in (hint: don't do that).