What's new

favourite clone

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Clones get alot of criticism, because there is sometimes many of them and if your somebody who travels around to a lot of different parks i would imagine it would get pretty boring basically riding the same ride over and over again. I personally am not a fan of cloning coasters because i feel it is just a cop out of trying to create a new design (Vekoma!). IMO i think every coaster should be different. Having said that some clones are quite good or look quite good, such as the batman clones of which i have only ridden the one at SFMM so too me it does not feel like a clone and is a fantastic ride that just gets into my top 20. What's your favourite clone?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Off the top of my head, and I'll probably think of something else later:

1. Intamin Mega-Lite - Fantastic "little" coasters

2. Vekoma Giant Inverted Boomerang - Too bad about the technical issues as they're really good

3. B&M Batman - Very good, but slightly overrated I think.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Batman would have to be my favorite, but as that's quite an obvious response & has already been said twice, I'll submit that Flight of Fear is another solid clone ride. I guess since Raptor has been cloned it also qualifies, so there's that too.

The worst clone has got to be Hurler at Kings Dominion/Carowinds. Both are terrible. Why Paramount decided to order two copies of that layout is beyond me.

andrus

Giga Poster
My current highest ranked clone is Oblivion, but soon it'll be Blue Fire. Haven't been on a mega lite yet, but they look even better!

oryp

Roller Poster
As others have said, B:TR and FOF are good ones. The B&M dive machine clones are good too.

bmac

Giga Poster
Keep an eye on Sea World Orlando to get a Mack coaster soon. SWP&E has had nothing but success with Manta (west) this year.

For my favorite ridden clone ride, it definitely would have to be Flight of Fear for just how disorienting it is in the dark. I also enjoyed the Schwartz Wildcat at Cedar Point and you also can't deny Scorpion at BGT's right to some credit either. Wild Mouses are also a lot of fun, too!

gopats1479

Mega Poster
Batman. 'Nuff said.
BTW, where are Mega-Lites even at? I have never heard about one in the US or know where any are in general.