What's new

Fantastic old coaster footage/pics

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Some "new" old footage of coasters has appeared on Youtube recently. Seriously, some brilliant stuff here if you're interested in coaster history (and if you're not, you should watch these anyway ;) )!

First up, two videos featuring the famous Aeroplane coaster - generally regarded as the best coaster ever made - there's even a quick shot on one of the helix of doom!!!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amLldcXWf8E[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Xv_wiVeOw[/youtube]

Next, how about some footage of... an original Flying Turns!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CBXJEMydQU[/youtube]

Triple Racing Woodie in Dallas!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wTZTX_2yrw[/youtube]

And finally, a Fred Church Bobs at Coney Island, NY!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztxt0H3ywU4[/youtube]

Now, people may not know why this is so exciting. I've found very few actual photos of Flying Turns or the Aeroplane coaster. To see film footage is Holy Grail kind of stuff!!! I hope you enjoy?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Dear Phil,

Please can you fix it for me to see a video of some really old coaster footage of some posh ladies, similar to how Mary Poppins dresses in the cartoon bit where she sings "supercalafragalisticexpialladocious" as I think I may be slightly turned on.

Many thanks,
Ian

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Awesome! That's absolutely some holy grail footage, Furie.

Anyone else see the influence of the Aeroplane coaster trains on the millenium flyer trains?

Oh, and those 4-bench trains on the triple racer look so weird. Are there any surviving coasters that use 4-bench trains?

Ben

CF Legend
rollermonkey said:
Oh, and those 4-bench trains on the triple racer look so weird. Are there any surviving coasters that use 4-bench trains?

Big Dipper and Roller Coaster at Blackpool do! I can't think of any more off the top of my head, but, I'm sure there are some.

And I don't get why anyone is that fussed about the Aeroplane coaster... or am I the only one who is rather attached to the idea of having a spine :wink:

Kebab

Giga Poster
tks said:
The older and more rough a coaster is the better it is apparantly.

Stampida was not fun. And that is the roughest coaster I've ever ridden and its barely 20 years old!

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Ben said:
rollermonkey said:

Big Dipper and Roller Coaster at Blackpool do! I can't think of any more off the top of my head, but, I'm sure there are some.

And I don't get why anyone is that fussed about the Aeroplane coaster... or am I the only one who is rather attached to the idea of having a spine :wink:

Thanks, I couldn't remember if those were 3-bench or 4.

If you've ridden Boardwalk Bullet, (which design was heavily influenced by the Rye Aeroplane, you'd understand. It's always been touted as being an amazing ride with lots of strong g-forces.

zcl

Mega Poster
tks said:
The older and more rough a coaster is the better it is apparantly.

Ride the dragon coaster every year at Rye Playland...GCI, gravity Group, someone needs to make a clone of the aeroplane coaster based on w.e we know.

Ben

CF Legend
rollermonkey said:
Ben said:
rollermonkey said:

Thanks, I couldn't remember if those were 3-bench or 4.

If you've ridden Boardwalk Bullet, (which design was heavily influenced by the Rye Aeroplane, you'd understand. It's always been touted as being an amazing ride with lots of strong g-forces.

Oh, don't get me wrong "inspired by" coasters would probably be great. The actual Aeroplane coaster? Would probably kill you :wink:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Nice stuff furie!
I also like the video of the Flying Turns coaster at Lakeside Park. It used a single car instead of a train, like the one at Euclid Beach.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8D3N4SWGcQ[/youtube]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
YES! Jerry is king!

I didn't post that one because... The links are there, and it gives people the chance to go off an explore and find their own! :)

Then instead of just saying "thanks Furie", or "that looks good/bad" - you can bring forward other ones and start a discussion :)

Yes, the Lakeside Park Flying Turns looks really cool actually. I like the snake like flow of the long trains, but I'll bet the single car version is much more thrilling. The weight of riders would make a massive difference to the actual ride. It's also something we just don't see now, apart from those silly Bobsled things.

The triple racing coaster looks more "proof of concept" than actual decent ride. Aeroplane coaster looks so fast, I'll bet it was great fun! Backbones are for girls!

I love the way the people just get in and out. No faffing with restraints, H&S checks or anything. Just in and out! :)

zcl

Mega Poster
furie said:
The triple racing coaster looks more "proof of concept" than actual decent ride. Aeroplane coaster looks so fast, I'll bet it was great fun! Backbones are for girls!

Dont bad mouth the triple coaster. That's a fight in these parts.

STC

Mega Poster
I know everyone will have seen it, and it's probably the most common coaster video ever seen, but for those who haven't, heres the Crystal Beach Cyclone. :)

Probably along with the Airplane coaster, known as the most intense ride ever built. In a way to me it almost looks like Schwarzkopf travelling designs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hMveMFnigM[/youtube]

wash

Mega Poster
Is it just me, or does the first video of the Aeroplane coaster looked sped up compared to the second?

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Thought I might aswell bung this in here with all the ''old rare'' stuff.
They are pictures though, so spare me having to edit this post.

These were photographs taken on disposable camera (bad quality) in the mid 80's. They are of Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

The first one seems to be an Enterprise ride of some sort, I don't know anything about it, so if anybody recognises it and would like to shed some light on it... feel free.

DSC00034.jpg

In this second photograph, you should just be able to make out the Space Invader building under construction, which I had never seen before so I thought it would be cool to post it.

DSC00035.jpg

Hope somebody can point out maybe what that enterprise is.