What's new

Family Trip to the Netherlands

DelPiero

Strata Poster
A couple of months ago we decided that we needed to visit some friends who have recently moved to Den Haag in the Netherlands so thought we could combine it with a trip to Plopsaland. I approached this park with a totally different mindset to normal and focused on it as a family park and based my entire experience on how we enjoyed it as a family.

20150824_090255.jpg

Ignoring my instincts to head to the back of the park we strolled through the entrance and acted like normal people for once, stopping at the first thing we saw. Maya's Land.

20150824_170239.jpg

20150824_170207.jpg

This is a lovely indoor area for the younglings, a small park for those toddlers, a massive ball pit, climbing area with a giant twirly slide, a very fast racing slide and a couple of appropriate sized flat rides. The largest of which dominates the area, the flowery merry go round, which sprays you with water while gently spinning around. The kids loved it here, and would have happily stayed all day, but there was a lot more to see.

Moving on and around we got to the farm area, with the oh so familiar Tractor Ride, this one had real life animals grazing instead of the normal fake animals/postman pat stuff, even a cow! We took a quick spin, it was fun.

20150824_145338.jpg

After spending time with the animals in the farm we moved onto the Bumba area, like a fairground. This area had lots of fun rides aimed at the smaller folk, including some small dodgems, a Jungle Car ride and a fire engine ride which you spray water at the "Burning Building". SonofTom particularly enjoyed the dodgems and he had a couple of rides on those.

20150824_100503.jpg

Then we went into Wickieland, which is probably the best themed part of the park. Here we only found one suitable childrens ride in the splash battle, which Mummy and SonofTom enjoyed whilst I watched and laughed. The other ride is the Disko, which looks excellent, but neither of the boring parents wanted a go on it.

20150824_140336.jpg

20150824_140654.jpg

A certain person started getting Cred anxiety due to the rain, so went in search of coasters.

20150824_153246.jpg

I rode Anubis 5 times throughout the day, the best ride was the last one when the rain had subsided. The queue is done beautifully, the smell, the rooms and the staircase are lovely.
The launch is better than expected, as I'm not a huge fan of rolling launches, but the airtime on this, especially in the first half, is quite astounding. It's comfortable too, which is a rarity on Gerst (IMO), it's a shame the 2nd half after the mcbr is so poor though. Too much trim on the mcbr removes any further airtime and the heartline is slow, cumbersome and full of minging hangtime.
But saying all that it's a fab ride, I'll happily ride it lots more in the future.

20150824_153329.jpg

20150824_153215.jpg

We then moved onto the flying bikes, Mummy and SonofTom had a go while I sheltered from the rain and watched as a cred didn't move. It seems that the Roller Skater (Washing Machine Cred) won't run in rain heavier than a light drizzle. Alas, we sauntered past.

At this point we realised that all the furniture was massive, SonofTom thought we were walking through a giants garden, I agreed, and told him the only way to stay away from the giant is to find and ride another cred, which we did.

We came across Viktor's Race, themed to a Space Rocket, with planets and everything, but SonofTom wussed out, it was a little big and fast for him he said. So I rode it instead. It was vibraty, fun.

Then we did the little boats next door with stories in French and German (I think), it was a pleasant sail.

We wandered back past the still spiting Roller Skater to the De Draak area with the log flume. This one would certainly hide us from the Giant, SonofTom agreed so we all had a go. Good ride for younger kids as not overly fast, the helix was the highlight imo.

20150824_152146.jpg

The boy and I then went on the Log Flume, which I had to apologise for as I may have told a tiny lie about how big the drops were to him. I loved it, he enjoyed it, maybe a bit big for the younger generation but it's great fun. I'm sure he'll like it more in the next couple of years. Some fab airtime on the double down, nice and long too.

20150824_160647.jpg

The rain had stopped so went back to the Roller Skater to wait for it to open, which it did, so I rode it. Not sure why they only allowed 8 people on at a time when it can seat 16, maybe due to the weather. Anyway it was ok, would have preferred to ride it with the boy but the flume may have scared him a bit.

20150824_152226.jpg

We needed to find some more kids stuff to do so moved towards the Vleermius ride which had a playground. The kids played here for a while and both me and the boy went down a huge slide which was still wet from the rain, it was quite fast, surprised even me.

Mummy and SonofTom went on the Rabbit ride, he loved it, he always likes these pony rides.

Vleermuis was closed for maintenance I think, definitely wasn't opening though, all cars covered in Tarpaulins. Bothered? No, next time.

Coming back round to the initial square we found a driving school type ride, which he had a go on, twice. Then we decided to go on the train .

20150824_152501.jpg

We then moved around the park again and found the dark ride Plop's Woods, fun for all the family. Those cheeky gnomes popping up with the bells, oh how we laughed.

It was getting on so I thought best to grab the final cred, Supersplash. It was pretty rubbish, but all the teens were positively screaming with delight. I must be getting old.

We then finished off the day in the excellent Maya's Land before heading out and getting back on the road to the Netherlands.

The one criticism I have, it was IMPOSSIBLE to find a mr whippy ice cream despite having about FIFTY serving points.
As a family park, especially 5-12 age range this is a fab park. Loads of things to keep the kids entertained and well themed to the telly characters in each land, the attractions range from 1.5 years well up to around 11, so SonofTom will be happy coming back for quite a few years. They also ran everything, apart from the skater, in poor weather. Nothing else was closed, and there was enough covered attractions to keep us busy when we needed a break from the rain.
We will be making this a regular trip due to being so close, and to be honest, it's quite a bit better than what we have in the UK.

+ White Lightning Clone /jism

20150824_173003.jpg

DelPiero

Strata Poster
So after spending a day with our friends at the beach, I decided to walk half an hour to the nearby park, Drievliet.

20150825_142735.jpg

20150825_153018.jpg

In contrast to Plopsa, this was most definitely a cred run, only Formule X was slightly interesting.

First up Twistrix

20150825_143104.jpg

Which span, a lot. The dizzyness was real when I got off, I didn't feel the need for a re-ride, and felt a little...

20150825_144631.jpg

Then was Formule X

20150825_143728.jpg

This looked fun from pics and things, but I wasn't expecting it to be great, nevertheless I rode it 4 times which at the park trying out the rows. Seats are comfortable enough, and the launch is ok, if a little weak. There was actually some airtime on one of the hills which made me smile, then it went into the heartline and it was disgusting. Due to that one crap heartline the whole coaster should be slammed in the...

20150825_152650.jpg

Moving through the park I stumbled across Dynamite Express

20150825_144125.jpg

Which was your run of the mill Mack powered mine train. Some decent views but the ride didn't do much, therefore it would be better left in...

20150825_144645.jpg

The final cred was the mouse, Kopermijn.

20150825_145130.jpg

They must have a no single rider rule as not one, but two ride ops jumped into the front seat and did the ride with me. First time I've ridden with a ride op, so there's that.
The cred itself was shockingly bad though, very rough, slamming lats and awful brakes that literally stopped the car on each one.

So Vile it doesn't even get a humerous photo.

Creds done I went and got some tat and wandered around the rest of the park, which included a Ghost Train, which wasn't anything magical.

20150825_145641.jpg

And the decently themed Afterburner

20150825_151512.jpg

Nautilus was definitely the highlight of the park, which says something about the state of the other attractions. It was a struggle to find an open tat shop, there was only one set of restrooms open and the park had no atmosphere at all. However, there are quite a few supporting rides which are probably worth a go if you aren't cred running. But from a coastergoon point of view, the park is pants.

I didn't manage to cram in any other parks as we had to cut short the holiday due to the kids going back to school. So next time I'm in the area I'll do Duinrell and maybe head up to Walibi.