What's new

Eurovision 2018

jayjay

Giga Poster
It's that time of year again! Here's a catch-all topic for this year's contest in Lisbon! Who's your favourite? Can the hosts beat Petra and Måns? How ridiculous are the costumes?

lisbon-734%20x350.jpg

mouse

Giga Poster
I'm quite invested this year, put on a few bets early while the odds were good because apparantly I have nothing better to do. Cyprus are currently the favourite to win, I put a bet on them while they were 66/1 so hopeful for that! Same goes for Lithuania which are now 10/1 (100/1 when I placed my bet) and Moldova who are 40/1 (then 150/1). Also have small bets on Bulgaria, Czech Republic and Estonia. Makes it so much more fun to watch, we'll see how it goes!

Although the overall quality seems to have improved, no songs have really jumped out as personal favourites yet - although that could change on saturday. Love a bit of eurovision!

jayjay

Giga Poster
I'm feeling your sentiment. Lots of great performances and songs so far, though nothing's stood out as must-win. Kitsch out in full force, I love it!
Switzerland was robbed! *shakes fist*
8fP1GrY.png

Will

Strata Poster
It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Much stronger semi-final tonight, to my mind. I voted for Lithuania on Tuesday, but none of them really reached out and grabbed me, though I was glad Albania got through.
Moldova were fab tonight as were Malta and obviously Hungary appealed to my hard-rock tendencies.
Hoping to see Georgia, Montenegro and a couple of the less interesting ones swept under the carpet tonight... hard to pick an overall winner.

I'm also baffled that the Aussies love EV so much, given it's 6:35AM in Queensland right now. Then again, I heard a bar BLASTING out Heroes (2015 winner) while I was in Melbourne!

mouse

Giga Poster
Ok so I see Ireland as a bit of a dark horse now, think they could do surprisingly well! This year is so unpredictable, its great! Hoping for a Cyprus win with Lithuania or Moldova in top 4. Gonna be an exciting final.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Caught up with all the songs at a thing at a bar here last night. I haven't watched the semi finals though.

Personal favourite: Israel
Winner: Cyprus

The same bar is showing it live here, but it starts at 3am Sunday morning. Debating...

TilenB

Strata Poster
One of my least favorite Eurovisions so far. I'm happy my country is back in the finals after 3 years, but I'm hardly passionate about any of the songs this year. I guess if I'd have to choose the ones I liked, I'd go with Hungary, France, Italy, Bulgaria and The Netherlands. There's a few others that I thought were pretty sweet (like Lithuania), but I found the most to be rather meh.
I really don't understand how Cyprus is such a huge favorite to win it? It's really nothing we haven't seen tens of times before, a nice, but fairly forgettable pop/dance flick. I guess the performance is nice to look at, but that's where it stops for me.
I can't stand Israel, though, so I hope that doesn't come close to winning. I can give that it's unique and catches people's attention, but the singer is just so irritating and the song is a weird and incomprehensible mash. </3

peep

CF Legend
This year is so unpredictable, its great!

Yeah this has me so excited for tomorrow night, I feel like the scores are going to be all over the place.

I feel like there's a great mix of different things this year which makes me happy and the props are amazing.

I'm not sure I have a clear fav at the moment, there's quite a few that I like though.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I think last year's strong performers really helped make this a good selection. Portugal proved you can win with arty songs inspired by local musical styles, and Moldova showed the power of memes/kitsch. I'm not feeling bogged down by one particular genre like usual.

Didn't watch the second semi. Think I'll keep it a surprise for tomorrow. Any losing performances worth watching from it?

TilenB

Strata Poster
Any losing performances worth watching from it?
The only one that was sort of memorable for me was Poland, but they guy couldn't sing for ****, so I'm not bothered by it leaving. You honestly haven't missed much.

peep

CF Legend
Well that was a very exciting Final on Saturday.

A shame that idiot stormed the stage during Surie's performance. I was a little surprised by how few points she got in the end actually.

Not knowing if Cyprus or Israel were going to win until the last second was tense. I didn't like Cyprus so glad the crazy Toy song won. In fact the whole votes section was insane, the top 6 were swapping around like mad, very fun to watch.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
This was my first watch of Eurovision for at least 10 years, as I never really "got it", I only managed to see the last 5 acts and then the voting etc but I loved it, will definitely watch next year!

mouse

Giga Poster
Well after the odds looking to be in my favour in the run-up, I only managed to win a bit on Cyprus getting top 4. Ah well. Enjoyed the voting this year, was particularly surprised by Austria doing so well with the juries. Winner was well deserved, although it wasn't my favourite song it certainly stood out and the performance was very good. Opening and interval acts were a bit boring. Was very impressed by our singers professionalism after the stage invasion!

Last edited:

jayjay

Giga Poster
This was a good year! Lots of cheese, lots of talent, lots of unapologetic fun. Not gonna lie, watching Salvador "I hate fast food music" Sobral have to hand the trophy to a performer he publically slagged off was cathartic (I still liked his song last year, but have grown a loathing towards overly snobbish attitudes to music).

Very sad my fav, Finland (anthem for dominatrices everywhere), didn't do much on the scoreboard, but my other votes for Moldova and Austria seemed to go to good use.

Can somebody explain why the UK televote gave Lithuania 12 points wtf?

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Quite enjoyed it this year with Austria, Denmark, Hungary, Spain and Norway being my favourites.

Can't help but think the Israel win was more of a political statement than anything, with it effectively going on about the Me Too campaign. Still a decent enough song though but wasn't enough to win. With the political unrest in Israel recently, could be an interesting event next year...