What's new

Energylandia | Formula 1 | Vekoma launched

Dar

Hyper Poster
It flows really well too, there doesn't seem to be any out of place elements or transitions

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I'm extremely impressed with that layout and the way it flows so naturally! I think I've said before, I love the outwardly banked airtime hill.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Honestly, it looks like a good ride. That nose dive element (which got me nailed earlier) really seems to pull out earlier than I expected it to, it actually looks quite smooth and fun and way less physics-defying than I made it out to be. Looks to be a silky smooth fun ride, never would have expected Vekoma to create something that even looks that good in a million years.

Then again, the T3 POVs that popped up last summer made it look like I wouldn't get the worst wallop to the back of the head ever... ;)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Amazing! This looks really cool. I'm very impressed and I hope this is the first of many of these types of coasters we see.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I feel like Vekoma have had a ride like this in waiting for a while now. The coaster at Tibidabo utilises a similar smoother track type they just haven't been given the chance to build one of these before. They have always sold their standard designs as they are a money maker but these have probably hindered them and have subsequently left them with a bed rep. hopefully this a big leap to shaking that reputation for rough coasters.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
This looks excellent, pleasantly surprised by the smoothness and a great layout for the space. Are there anymore creds being put in here or was this the last one? I've totally lost track.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Seems like Vekoma really benefitted from the improvements in technology over the past 20 years. Without modern CAD design, this ride would have been unthinkable. It seems like previously, there was a bit of a chunky, RCT-esque approach to banking and transitions. As if coaster elements were designed in isolation, and the rest of the track just joined them together. This coaster is all flowy from one situation to the next, gracefully forming loops and rolls along the way.

Secondly, the development of launched coasters is a boon to any park with height restrictions and a moderate budget. It allows "small" coasters to be packed with speed, creating more forceful and thrilling rides in a more compact layout. In other words: Small parks can build fast rides.

Formula 1 might not be the first coaster to benefit from these developments, but it's a darn fine example, especially with the contrast to Vekoma multi-loopers of yore.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I'm really excited for this. I've always been a fan of Vekoma and I'm glad to see them branching out and trying something a little more adventurous.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I guess it's a lucrative segment to be leading in, too. You don't see many Vekoma "flagship" coasters, but for mid-sized rides, they're seemingly everywhere. There are more parks out there with demand for medium-sized coasters like this, than the huge record-breakers of Intamin and B&M. Moreover, building small without groundbreaking technology eliminates some risk. Look at Intamin, for instance. Most of their large coasters are amazing, but it seems to be a coin-flip of whether they'll have technical problems or not.

I'm actually getting moderately excited for Vekoma. If this level of quality will be commonplace in the small-to-medium size bracket for coasters from now, the minor parks of Europe will have a bright future for coastering. It's not like my home park will be able to afford a B&M Mega in the foreseeable future, but Vekoma appears a likely candidate for their next big investment. If all we get is a small-to-medium coaster, it might as well be one of quality.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
The last issue of first drop mentioned they have sold 2 more of these. One to Vietnam and one to somewhere else on Asia.

I'd say they are heading to Ocean park in Vietnam and Hotgo park in China based on rumours about those parks

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Vekoma are calling the coaster "Space Warp" and it's now open.

13537510_1785524405067139_8625459881207178499_n.jpg

13501772_1785524431733803_4451117803245104032_n.jpg

Lofty

CF Legend
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-zxiCWwKgM[/youtube]
Quite a nice video showing riders enjoying the coaster.