What's new

East Coast USA Roadtrip! incl. BGW, KD, KI, CP plus more.|June 2018

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Next up we did a quick pitstop at Quassy before heading on to Lake Compounce and Six Flags New England.

Quassy
It's small, aimed at kids and only has two creds but one of them is "wooden warrior" a Gravity group woodie (only my second one after Ravine Flyer II). The coaster was a great kids stepping stone to larger coasters and provided a pleasant, enjoyable ride for adults as well. I would recommend stopping by to do it if you're in the area but not to go out of your way to do.

They even had a cute model of it which I assume they used to promote it before they built it.

Of course we also did the kiddie cred which had a lovely view.

The park looked pretty next to the lake.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Next is Lake Compounce!

We couldn't find the car park for a while, why is it so hard to find??? The park is kind of weird. You could tell that a big chain owned it but it kind of felt like a bad fit, like it was a cute quirky park and not a corporate kind of thing.

Wildcat was down which was a bit annoying but obviously the main event was Boulderdash. Wildcat looked pretty anyway.

Boulderdash had been hyped so much on this group that I was expecting a lot. When this happens it's really hard to live up to it and I found that it didn't quite make it. I exect it's got rougher over time and the re-profiling of the double (?) down might have changed it a bit (although I heard that was horribly rough). I enjoyed it don't get me wrong, but I enjoyed Beast, Mystic Timbers and El Toro more. It is really crazy and certainly a bucket list coaster just because of it's layout in the side of the hill. Unfortunately we didn't get to ride it in the dark which i'm told is even better and crazier. I really enjoyed it but just came off a bit confused even after a reride or two (can't remember how many times we did it, the queue was quite big, but we did it at least twice, including once in the front I think). The front was really good for this kind of coaster. The station was a bit of a free-for-all and they were only running the one train, which was a shame as the ride is so long (heard they had an accident and never put two back on).

The other creds were pretty forgettable. The boomerang had sparkly trains which was cool. :D The Phear Phobia one was, the same as the others, decent, ok. We queued ages for the log flume because it was a hot day and that was decent.

We then went on to Six Flags New England for the rest of the day.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Tell you wot Emily - that sure was one helluva trip you did there. Just the thought of it is exhausting! I mean, that's like more creds in one US road trip than most people get in 2 or 3! :eek:
Can't believe Dave has buggered off on another one already! Madness :D

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Tell you wot Emily - that sure was one helluva trip you did there. Just the thought of it is exhausting! I mean, that's like more creds in one US road trip than most people get in 2 or 3! :eek:
Can't believe Dave has buggered off on another one already! Madness :D

Yeah, it was pretty hardcore. Loved it though, so many great memories! Wasn't originally planning on doing KI and CP but really pleased that we shoehorned them in in the end. I think it's one of the few areas that has so much to offer that you can cover in one trip. Just got to do my SFNE review then I'll finally be done with the trip report. Only taken me like 3 months!:p

Yeah Dave is a serial coasterwhore. :p I'm getting regular updates on places for the bucket list at least!

To be fair, I did suggest a few slightly less crazy options to Emily but the lure of both cedar point and bgw was too much! And if you're going to cedar point, it would be silly not to add on ki!
I'm enjoying the delights of California at the moment, making the most of six flags and cedar fair annual passes from the previous trip!

Seems like someone may be planning a copycat trip though, but that's OK, if you want some planning or route/stop tips give me a shout Howie,!

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
The final park!

Six Flags New England.
We did this park over bits of 3 days, an afternoon, a whole day and then popped in on the last day before flying hope as we had passes.

Wicked Cyclone.
I enjoyed this more than Twisted Timbers I think, it has less of the jolty bumpy bits and the theme is quite cool. It's quite lot to the ground (especially after having done Steel Vengeance) but has good pace. We did this a few times but again, like the other RMCs probably not going to be seen in my top 10.

Superman
This is really good which lots of airtime. After things like Skyrush and MF this didn't blow my mind but it's a really solid cred and I can see why it won so many awards when it first opened. The view over the water from the lift hill is lovely. I'd rate is just about Wicked Cyclone but not by far as they're both good.

Trying to remember what else was of note......Batman was decent, just another solid B&M really, the jokeer was as gross as the one at SFGAdv and the woodie was good fun. The spinning gerst was ok, as was the wild mouse (with the longest name ever) and the cat woman tivoli. Nothing much stands out about those creds. We didn't do the star flyer as I'd already done the windseeker at KD and had my fill of those kind of rides for this trip haha. Unfortunately the GIB was closed, which was predictable but annoying as I really enjoyed the one in Madrid. Oh well. Sounds like it might never reopen at this point!

The park didn't have as nice a atmosphere as SFGAdv which was by far my favourite SF park of the trip (we did 3, SFGAdv, SFAm and SFNE). The line up is better at SFGAdv, which also has animals and a more established feel. SFNE was good still. The water park looked quite good.

So that wraps up my ridiculously long road trip trip report. The trip was insane in both cred-gettingness and also just enjoyment. I went to so many parks I'd never thought I'd ever get to and totally re-imagined my views on rollercoasters to be honest-like I've done so many more great ranking coasters, hit the 300 and 350 milestones and got 138 more credits in total, leaving me to end the trip on 383 credits, having started with 245. I guess I can be snobby about creds now??? (joke)

So, now it's time to unveil the new, reimagined, totally flipped upside down top 10. It was hard, but I finally came to a decision.
For the record here was my pre-USA road trip top 10:
1. Taron
2. Karnan
3. Montu
4. EGF
5. Shambhala
6. Mako
7. Superman, Madrid
8. Fluch von Novgorod
9. Black Mamba
10. Olympia Looping
(my top woodie was Joris)

New top 10!
1. Taron (nothing quite topped Taron but a few things came close)
2. Beast (they say that not everyone "gets" this coaster but I totally did and loved it!)
3. Maverick
4. Skyrush (would be higher if not for the restraints)
5. Millennium Force
6. TTD (had a hard time ranking the CP intamins ngl)
7. El Toro
8. Karnan
9. Montu (was my number 1 before Taron)
10. Storm Runner
Number 11 would be Lightning racer or mystic timbers but decided to put storm runner in instead.

It's ridiculously Intamin, coming from a very B&M and gerst heavy list! Maybe all the best intamins (bar Taron) are in america? Woodies finally being seen in the top 10 so that's nice. So yeah, rode 3 RMCs and they didn't make the cut haha.

Thanks for reading! :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Bravo, that's an epic trip. Good job in making your way through the whole report!

Enthusiast checklist item: Big US coaster road trip - CHECK!