What's new

Dubious Claims

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I do remember seeing a claim on BPB's website saying that Big One had a top speed of 87mph.

What about the claim that Desperado opened as the World's tallest Coaster (Even though PMBO opened beforehand and is 5 ft taller)?
I remember this one in the Guinness book of records at the time. Desperado has a longer drop thanks to the tunnel although the structure of the big one is taller. There was a very nice little diagram of this in the book. Both were included in the book for that reason.

There's an age old argument there in itself. There are several rides that have either a 200ft drop or 200ft height but not both... But that's for another topic I guess.

Pear

Strata Poster
Not a claim made by the park itself as far as I know, but I read an article a while back wherein a rollercoaster enthusiast who’d supposedly ridden over 840 coasters dubbed Thorpe Park’s “The Walking Dead: The Ride” the scariest rollercoaster she’d ever been on. I know this kind of thing is subjective but I really suspect she was being paid to say that because it would be an eyebrow raiser to even suggest TWD:TR as one of the top ten scariest rides in the park, let alone the world. Unless maybe the actors in the queues actually start biting guests next season - that might ramp up the fear factor a little.
I believe she's on this forum

thepoweroften

Roller Poster
Oh really? Small world! Or small community of enthusiasts maybe.

And if it's about the theme & actors that makes total sense, actually. The actors and retheme do make the pre-ride and post-ride areas pretty intimidating (I'm often worried about falling over when I exit the ride because it's so dark usually). I tend to get frightened by great heights etc on rides more than anything else (I still haven't ridden Stealth), so I forget that 'scariest ride' can have a different definition for other people (especially people who've ridden that many coasters and are probably more used to heights and the likes). Sorry if I caused offense - I meant no disrespect, I just remember assuming the original article was fabricated by Thorpe or something. I can't and won't call somebody's personal opinion a dubious claim.

In all seriousness I do like TWD:TR though (and feel like it gets too much flak for what it is) so it's nice to hear that a respected enthusiast has a genuinely positive opinion of it after all! :) I've ridden closer to about 20 than 840 coasters in my time so it's always reassuring to know that even well-travelled and experienced riders are still entertained by rides people might brand as less 'impressive' credits.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
TWD is not a scary ‘coaster’ but is a scary ‘experience’ for some, a very scary experience in fact. I once saw big grown man absolutely terrified in that first long dark tunnel almost to the point of tears. So much so that he bolted out of the fire door on the right and there was nothing his missus could do to stop him. Was quite funny ? I’ve seen lots of people have a breakdown in that tunnel, they all think something is going to happen.

BTW is the enthusiast in question Cupcakes and Coasters?

thepoweroften

Roller Poster
I don’t remember the article well enough to say for sure but that would check out, I think it might have been her! (I follow C&Cs insta and she’s at over 1000 credits now so makes sense).

And yes again you are right about coasters like TWD. Ranking by ‘scary’ experience is more subjective especially on horror-themed coasters.

I grew up going to really good horror mazes close to me at Halloween so I’m used to that sort of thing and it doesn’t scare me overwhelmingly. I didn’t grow up near any coasters over 200ft though so heights still terrify me more than anything else! Feel like this calls for a poll somewhere on what (if anything) still intimidates people when getting on a ride. Although I’m new to the forums so too scared to make one. Ironically.

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
TWD is not a scary ‘coaster’ but is a scary ‘experience’ for some, a very scary experience in fact. I once saw big grown man absolutely terrified in that first long dark tunnel almost to the point of tears. So much so that he bolted out of the fire door on the right and there was nothing his missus could do to stop him. Was quite funny ? I’ve seen lots of people have a breakdown in that tunnel, they all think something is going to happen.

BTW is the enthusiast in question Cupcakes and Coasters?
It was C&C?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I love c&c, her blog is always a great read and her vlogs are fun too. She has a very different taste in coasters to me a lot of the time and that’s one of the things that makes her interesting. Tbf it’s one of the things that makes the community side of this hobby interesting. You only have to look at the overrated / underrated thread to see how much people’s opinions vary.

I’m sure you meant no offence, and I’m sure she would not have taken any offence (I don’t know her, just a character assumption) it’s just a differing opinion on a polarising coaster. Doesn’t scare me in the slightest, but have seen it scare people that would scare me if I met them in a dark alley ?

astead04

Roller Poster
1998, Oblivion - world's first vertical drop roller coaster.

2010, Th13teen - world's first vertical drop rol.... wait, what? ?
Oblivion - world's first VERTICAL drop roller coaster
TH13TEEN - world's first FREEFALL drop roller coaster

There's definitely a difference.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The trouble with "world's scariest roller coaster" is:
1) it's not measurable
2) Merlin have used that claim time and time again (Saw explicitly used that line in like 2014/15, Th13teen implied it by saying it was to have a 16+ restriction, etc).

Again, it's just a marketing buzz-phrase that means nothing.