What's new

Dubai Formula One Park Back On Track?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Excuse the pun in the title :)
http://www.livetradingnews.com/f1-theme-park-back-grid-dubai-34251.html
F1X-Theme-Park-4-NXPowerLite.jpg

Dubai-based Union Properties has finalized plans to build a $163.35-M mixed-use project in Motor City, which includes a theme park, the company’s chairman, Khalid Bin Kalban, told local business website, Arabian Business.

Initial plans by Union Properties for a $544.49-M F1-X Dubai, a theme park dedicated to the F1 car racing competition were put on hold in the aftermath of the global financial crisis.

“The land was allotted to a theme park development, but a feasibility study said the cost would overrun to as much as $544.49-M. We have now redesigned the land usage plan, with 50% of the land allotted to a theme park and the remaining 50% to a mixed-use development,” he said.

“The revised masterplan has been approved by Dubai Municipality, but is awaiting clearance from Dubailand, the master developer who was insisting on the theme park as it used to be. But that is not possible,” Bin Kalban said.

Though the original Motor City master plan included seven hotels, Bin Kalban said the company has stripped back its ambitious hospitality development plans to developing only three hotels.

“We are executing the Motor City master plan, but with slight changes because market dynamics have changed. It is the most prosperous community in Dubailand. We want to capitalist on it,” he said.

Stay tuned…

The developer also intends to relaunch the $81.67-M. The Link Motor City project, which will have a retail component and a 3-Star hotel, Bin Kalban revealed.

The track for the original park is still mostly sat in the desert in Dubai.
From some of the pictures though you would have to argue its been there way way too long to be useable now.

There was a Gerstlauer coaster, a premier inverted coaster A drifting coaster and and an Intamin coaster all sat out there in the desert.
But to be fair the track and the concept art plans never matched. The Geurst Eurofighter and The Premier Inverted Coaster are 100% there. The other rides I've never proved either way.

F1X2.jpg F1X1.jpg F1X3.jpg F1X4.jpg
The old rumour was that the Geurst ended up at Belantis but this now seems untrue.

The racing coaster also appears to be on site.
F1X6.jpg
F1X5.jpg
Confused by which coasters ended up on site?... yeah so am i.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Can't help but feel like this would be better placed in Abu Dhabi... where the F1 track actually is...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Can't help but feel like this would be better placed in Abu Dhabi... where the F1 track actually is...

I guess the competition with Ferrari World would be undesirable for both parks, though.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I guess the competition with Ferrari World would be undesirable for both parks, though.
True, but Ferrari World doesn't really seem to make a big fuss of the F1 track being next door. I think besides the location, they might not actually be linked at all. There are some seriously large bits of Yas Island waiting to be developed, I'd have thought there would be plenty of prime places to build an F1 affiliated park.

Just seems weird when this is being built an hour's drive away, in a different city that doesn't have the F1 track. But then, I'm not the one funding it, so... ;)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
True, but Ferrari World doesn't really seem to make a big fuss of the F1 track being next door. I think besides the location, they might not actually be linked at all. There are some seriously large bits of Yas Island waiting to be developed, I'd have thought there would be plenty of prime places to build an F1 affiliated park.

Just seems weird when this is being built an hour's drive away, in a different city that doesn't have the F1 track. But then, I'm not the one funding it, so... ;)

Maybe the advertising wouldn't point out the competition between the parks, but the public probably would. After all, there are only so many racing-themed theme parks you would want to visit in a year, within the same general area of the same city.

Dubaidave

Hyper Poster
Sadly this is an old photo. There is no construction currently happening on the sight. I drive past every day