What's new

Dreamworld Australia To Close Tower Of Terror

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Its been rumoured for a while but it seems Dreamworld is closing Tower Of Terror

Annoyingly the article is behind a members only thing but the headline confirms the rides death.

To be honest it was running poorly when i was there and was only making it up half the tower. I can't say I'm too surprised to see it get the chop.
Hopefully the are keeping Giant Drop though. That things monsterous.

Pear

Strata Poster
I hate SEFK so not too mad about the closure. I doubt they'll keep Giant Drop as well, but it would be nice if they did.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Here's something a little bit more official from the park's website:

The key points being that the ride is closing on 3rd of November and that the Giant Drop is staying.

I'm certainly not going to miss the ride. It was loud and the launch was sluggish, but it was also the only ride I ever got evacuated from, so there's that...

Lucy

Hyper Poster
Yeah it is a shame - I went on it when it was in it’s original form and really enjoyed it as it was the fastest launch coaster I’d been on at the time. I look forward to finding out what their plans will be for new things as I would love to go back there at some point.

The statement on their website says Giant Drop is staying which is awesome ?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
This is a shame of course, but it was expected. I can understand why they would close it.

But hey it will make Red Force the world's tallest giga, and I would take Red Force any day over this even though I haven't ridden this.

cookie

Giga Poster
This was my first coaster over 100km/h and it's still the fastest coaster I've ridden. I haven't been to Australia and thus Dreamworld in 15 years but I'll always remember the rush it gave me. I'm honestly sad that it's (soon) gone.

I can only hope that the Blue Fire clone with added spike and whatever else they plan to resuscitate the park with really gives them the boost they so desperately need.

rctneil

Roller Poster
It's a shame to hear about this. The original Tower of Terror was actually one of the first coasters I ever rode and it absolutely terrified me at the time! I'm sure Dreamworld will never be the same again without the roar and insanely loud noise blasting over the park as it launches!

Things move on and it's obviously time for it to go. RIP ToT!

Matt N

CF Legend
I must admit, despite having never ridden it, this closure does make me feel a little sad as well. Tower of Terror II was actually one of the first international roller coasters I ever read about in a roller coaster book when I was just getting into theme parks (along with the likes of Son of Beast and Steel Dragon 2000), so I must admit that I had always hoped to ride it someday.

I'm sure that the Mack launch coaster they're getting next year will be a more than fitting replacement, though, especially as it looks amazing and Tower of Terror II does not seem to be too highly acclaimed these days judging by the comments in this thread. Also, such a behemoth of a ride must have been a huge operational drain for Dreamworld, especially since the park's visitor decline in 2016; is it true that the ride was launched at a reduced speed in its later years, or did I imagine that?

Interestingly, I think this may also be the tallest and fastest roller coaster ever to be removed!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Interestingly, I think this may also be the tallest and fastest roller coaster ever to be removed!
I was just about to post the same! Granted, at the time of removal it might not have gone faster or higher than Zaturn (which I think is the second candidate, although it wasn't scrapped), but if we count its original stats, it should nab the top spot. I believe Moonsault Scramble was the previous holder of the height record for scrapped coasters.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Tower of Terror II does not seem to be too highly acclaimed these days judging by the comments in this thread.
I'm curious about this. I was on Tower of Terror II a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The launch might not be particularly forceful but it seems to go on for ages, and the lighting effects in the tunnel work really well. Seeing the lit up giant fan at the end of the tunnel speeding away from you is quite effective.

According to rcdb Tower of Terror II and Superman: Escape from Krypton are effectively clones, but I thought the addition of the tunnel makes the former a better ride. So is Superman also now poorly regarded, or has Tower of Terror deteriorated over the years?

davidm

Strata Poster
Well Superman gets much (much!) higher up the spike than ToT did so that alone makes it better?

I rode ToT years ago (forwards) and can't recall how high it got back then, but also rode Superman a few weeks later (also still forward) and recalled that that did not get near the top either. I've ridden Superman a few times over the years and there was a noticeable improvement (in height attained) when it was reversed.

Last time I rode Superman was 4 years ago and it was still getting well up its spike, last time I rode ToT (backwards now) was 6 months ago and it was crawling up the spike, nowhere near how far Superman gets. The station experience was all a bit rubbish then too, it did feel on its last-legs then to me.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
I'm actually a bit gutted about this - Australia's not really on my agenda for a while, but this has always been so iconic I was hoping to tick off the collection of these.

Same. I'm due to go there in about 18 months, but wasn't expecting it to still be there by then given all the rumours about its demise.

Superman at SFMM was awful, and this by all accounts went even less high up the tower. We'll have to make do with the collection by default.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Well Superman gets much (much!) higher up the spike than ToT did so that alone makes it better?
I guess so. It's been a couple of years since I rode Superman but as I say, I thought the addition of the tunnel made for a better ride experience.
Last time I rode Superman was 4 years ago and it was still getting well up its spike, last time I rode ToT (backwards now) was 6 months ago and it was crawling up the spike, nowhere near how far Superman gets.
...which I guess implies that the launch system on Tower of Terror has deteriorated over the years?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
...which I guess implies that the launch system on Tower of Terror has deteriorated over the years?
Or that they've been dialing it down to save money. Kinetic energy is proportional to velocity squared after all, so if you cut velocity by a little, you save a lot on the energy bill. The coaster is literally designed to do a rollback from the first hill every time, so from an operational standpoint there's no such thing as "too slow", within reason.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm sure I read that when they turned the cars around on Superman, they also did other work on it, the launch specifically, so it was reaching its top speed and getting to a decent height.

Dreamworld literally just turned the car around.

I'll dig a photo out later. You'll have to take my word for it since a photo could obviously be taken with the train at any point on the track, but I deliberately took a few at its top height, and it was barely past half way.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited: