What's new

Dollywood | Lightning Rod | Launched RMC

Snoo

The Legend
Crazy this ride is still closed. I've seen nothing to the contrary since. Even crazier is that we managed to hit it in the 5 day window the ride was open. Not only hit it, but got night ERT on it as well. What luck!

ST Dog

Roller Poster
Snoo said:
Crazy this ride is still closed. I've seen nothing to the contrary since. Even crazier is that we managed to hit it in the 5 day window the ride was open. Not only hit it, but got night ERT on it as well. What luck!
Elsewhere someone posted a park employee claimed there was a delay on the parts and they just arrived.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Latest update from Irvine Ondrey Engineering, one train operation as part of "technical rehearsal":

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/IrvineOndreyEngineering/photos/a.475305665826794.115576.474347982589229/1196612337029453/?type=3[/facebookpost]

jay37415

Mega Poster
took 4 laps on it yesterday. Signs in front of the coaster give the whole "Technical Rehearsal" spiel. Only one train was running and it seemed to have more issues as the day went along (summer heat maybe). But during both significant downtimes, they switched trains.

While waiting for the train, I peeked into the repair bay and I did happen to get a picture of all the used cylinder that have been replaced from the reaclled
Also, my first time riding was back in May during the first trial run. I did notice that the trains are running a lot faster now than in May. The ejector on the quad down was a lot more forceful. Lets hope they can get this thing dialed in.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Seems like Lightning Rod is down again:
Screamscape said:
Lightning Rod - (7/20/16)
Dollywood has changed their website for the past several days now to say that Lightning Rod is "currently close". While they do mention it is still in technical ride rehearsal, which means it could open at random if you are lucky, the fact that they are listing it as being closed makes it not look good to open at this time.
http://www.screamscape.com/html/dollywood.htm

The website still carries this message, over a week after Screamscape posted that update:
Capture_zpsg1p7lxv5.png

What a pain in the arse this has been for Dollywood! One of the worst coaster openings I can recall, to be honest. It's even more of a shame as the coaster is so **** good!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
What stinks is while this is a new application of LSM motors, the technology itself is more than a decade old in terms of being used on roller coasters. (even further back if you include LIMs, which were first introduced on Flight of Fear in 1995)

Jared

Hyper Poster
Is it the first time the company providing the launch has done something like this? I can't help but think they'd have had a far easier journey getting IntraSys in to do the launch.

ST Dog

Roller Poster
Jared said:
Is it the first time the company providing the launch has done something like this? I can't help but think they'd have had a far easier journey getting IntraSys in to do the launch.

It's the first use of Velocity Magnetics system to power it all.

They recently filed a patent for using blanks of capacitor to store energy for the launch and generative braking. Together they reduce the instantaneous demands on the utilities.

Without it you either need mechanical storage (flywheel) of very high current feeds from the power company. The latter may not even be an option at DW and the former has several drawbacks.

Hyde said:
What stinks is while this is a new application of LSM motors, the technology itself is more than a decade old in terms of being used on roller coasters.

Even with the new stuff here, people are assuming the problem is in the launch. Not sure why so many are jumping on the launch when the problem could be somewhere else.

In June they were messing with the wheels on the trains, trying to find the right materials. Then the recall was related to the restraints on the cars. This recent delay could be car related too. Or some other system. We just don't know.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
ST Dog said:
Even with the new stuff here, people are assuming the problem is in the launch. Not sure why so many are jumping on the launch when the problem could be somewhere else.

In June they were messing with the wheels on the trains, trying to find the right materials. Then the recall was related to the restraints on the cars. This recent delay could be car related too. Or some other system. We just don't know.
I half agree, but...

Of the RMCs, it's the 4th longest and only the fastest by a slither (according to the stats on RCDB). It's not the only RMC to feature the new cylinders (and have been shut down by the recall) and the trains are essentially exactly the same as any of the others. Yet none of the other coasters are having trouble.

The only thing that's completely unique about this coaster is the launch system - and it's the only coaster that's having any issues. I can exactly see why most people are jumping to that conclusion.

ST Dog

Roller Poster
Still could be a bad combination or even some as yet unreported issue with the cars. Sure, they are basically the same, but there could be some difference that's not readily apparent.

Whatever it is, they are not even doing test runs. They must be waiting of something.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
It's supposedly running again today. No word on if this is a one off or not.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Heard on Coaster Park Klub that it's still running. Trying to convince the girlfriend to let me go get it in my days off in two weeks if it's still up then.

EDIT: If it's open then she said I could go!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Jarrett, you know it's going to spite you, right? ;) :lol:

Jarrett

^It'll stay open if the **** keeps her mouth shut! Every time she goes on about "watch it be down," BAM it goes down! She broke this one, Outlaw Run, and Wicked Cyclone running her mouth, I'm actually about to forbid her from talking about it period.

Snoo

The Legend
Even if youre trying to be "funny", thats not how you should refer to your significant other to be honest Jarrett.

Jarrett

Okay, I feel CF has had enough of both the dirty laundry from Emily and I's relationship as well as people accusing me of abusing my gf, so this will be my only post on this so as to avoid going off topic.

My girlfriend and I are **** to each other. All the time. I tell her her stupid mouth is cursed and breaks RMCs, she shrugs and says they aren't good anyway, I call her out for having all three of the ones we rode in her top tens, she tells me I'm dumb for liking "overrated" Fury, I tell her she's dumb for judging a cred she doesn't even have, she tells me everyone says I305 is better (another one she doesn't have), I tell her she's stupid for drinking the I305 Kool Aid, she tells me it's bound to be good because it's an Intamin, I slam Intamin and point out that they got exiled from North America in 2012 (though gave us a nice little middle finger on the way out that you can now experience in Pennsylvania) and tell her RMC is better, the conversation restarts. All with a ton of swearing, name-calling, personal attacks, starting CF threads to quell the argument, and her letting it be known to her Instagram cult following of twelve year-olds that I snore and fart in my sleep. And it's comedy, it's funny, it's how we have fun. She's not only my girlfriend, but she's my best friend, and the whole point of having a best friend is someone you can be an absolute **** to who can retaliate and it's perfectly normal and fun.

I literally made a Facebook post publicly calling her the C word for breaking Wicked Cyclone and when it went back up I aggressively slapped her on the arse screaming "GET UP THE STAIRS YOU **** !!!!" Chris then reminded me it was a family park, Emily kept joking that it would go down again (known to be an action with direct ties to broken RMCs), I put all my weight on her bar and it shoved the buckle into her thigh leaving a bruise. And she called me every name in the book from the time I slammed it down to the time we left the train. So I called her stupid for trying to make my 200 sign look like a pink zebra purse. And it was all in good fun, we say terrible things about each other and laugh.

Honestly, if you're in a healthy relationship, this stuff should be funny to both of you.

Back to the RMC at hand. Hope it stays open for ten more days.

mouse

Giga Poster
Oh I didn't realise you had a girlfriend.

Interested that Snoo preferred this to Wildfire, judging from POVs they look pretty even - I look forward to seeing how other CFers compare them!