What's new

Dodonpa Being Reborn In 2017

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Confirming what we'd all been guessing:

Screamscape said:
We know Dodonpa closed last year for an unknown major renovation, and I had just seen a report claiming that the coaster's giant hill had all but been removed. So I asked S&S for some extra information about what was going on and was told that Dodonpa's crazy hill was being replaced by a giant vertical loop inversion for the 2017 season. Unfortunately they didn't have any concept art or photos, but at least we know what is going on.

Rubbish.

Olaf

Mega Poster
So the best hill that ever existed will become a inversion... well **** Fuji Q then

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

mouse

Giga Poster
raw

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I can't believe I'm the first person to ask, but...

New cred?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I think it's too early to tell. If they change everything about the ride, then definitely yes. But if it's just the loop, I'd say no.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Any news on an opening date? I heard July a while back but was wondering if anyone had seen any progress at all.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Nothing yet I don't think.

Are we thinking that they're going for the world's tallest loop record? Fuji Q like their records, so I think it would make sense.

World's tallest coaster - Fujiyama
World's fastest - Dodonpa
Most Inversions (done shadily and not really recognised now) - Eejanaika
Steepest - Takabisha

Tallest loop certainly makes sense to me. The huge turnaround burns off a fair bit of speed, but the coaster with the current tallest loop, Flash, only has a top speed of 72mph according to RCDB.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Tallest loop seems to be a highly contested record in recent years, would be a shame for them to do this and then lose the record shortly after.

Element115

Roller Poster
i am extremely fearful that they are going to Nerf the launch on this thing, the lowest they could go without losing the record is > 2.2g while that is still forceful it would be a damn shame if it was lowered.

Lofty

CF Legend
I hope they take the world's tallest loop record, it's certainly not off the cards considering the old hill was 170ft and the world's tallest loop is around the same or below (Flash's loop, but can't find an exact height for it).