What's new

Dodonpa Being Reborn In 2017

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Fuji Q have announced Dodonpa is to close on October the 2nd for an extended period of time.
The ride will be reborn next summer.
Quite what this means is anyone's guess but a layout change or extension isnt beyond the realms of possibility. Or we could just be looking at an extended refurb.

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw_6m2O7XUQ[/youtubevid]

http://www.fujiq.jp/special/oyasumi-dodonpa/

davidm

Strata Poster
don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa don don pa

Would imagine just a bit of track smoothing, or maybe the launch/trains needs replacing - hype it all up as "reborn" but it could just be bit of serious maintenance downtime.

( ...don don pa don don pa...)

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
It's worth mentioning that the Air Thrust coasters do use square beam track.... and a certain company in Idaho has been making the track for S&S's 4D coasters.

Olaf

Mega Poster
CarolinaRider said:
It's worth mentioning that the Air Thrust coasters do use square beam track.... and a certain company in Idaho has been making the track for S&S's 4D coasters.
It's not that a rmc retrack will do that much

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Take this with as much salt as you can find. But when i posted this to the VHCoasters Facebook page one of the responses was " I know a few people that did an S&S factory tour, and they said the project on the project board said "Dodonpa Loop"."

I know ACE did do a tour of the factory last week but I have no way of confirming this at all.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Jesus...that coaster definitely does NOT need a loop. But, Fuji Q seem to enjoy their rides being ridiculous and intense so I wouldn't put it past them!

Lofty

CF Legend
I wouldn't be surprised if they change the launch mechanism on it? It's definitely not out of the question.

Ben

CF Legend
They better not touch that **** launch.

I'm a little bit sad because Dodonpa is fab and messed up and weird, so I don't want it to be made nicer, I want it to be obscene.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
To exaggerate a little: Dodonpa is the fastest coaster built while the engineers had no idea what they were doing. Launch coasters were in their infancy when Dodonpa premiered, and the Thrust Air concept never took off that much. It sounds like a really fun ride, though, and I hope the refurbishments do it well. Going by the POVs I've seen, its transitions could use a little work.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
roomraider said:
Take this with as much salt as you can find. But when i posted this to the VHCoasters Facebook page one of the responses was " I know a few people that did an S&S factory tour, and they said the project on the project board said "Dodonpa Loop"."

I know ACE did do a tour of the factory last week but I have no way of confirming this at all.

That was my comment. I was just repeating what friends of mine saw on the ACE tour, but yeah, they said "Dodonpa Loop" was on the project board.

mouse

Giga Poster
This has been at the top of my bucket list for a long time, so I really hope they don't alter it too drastically or make it any tamer.

andrus

Giga Poster
roomraider said:
Worlds tallest loop?

Could easily be done, and by just adding the loop to an existing coaster wouldn't cost Fuji-Q too much money to get another world record breaker (which seem to be their thing).

peep

CF Legend
Edward M said:
**** I was gonna ride this in January. This certainly makes Fuji look less appealing.
Fuji Q is still well worth a visit. Everything is insane.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
* insert post which lets everyone know I've ridden Dodonpa here *

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
capture_47.png

Apparently this bit says In July 2017, [Dodonpa will] reappear with a new layout
Somewhat confirming the changed layout theories.

Thanks to MayTheGForceBeWithYou at TPR for translating it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
CarolinaRider said:
It's worth mentioning that the Air Thrust coasters do use square beam track

Well, no. Hypersonic XLC did, along with Dodonpa which appeared in the same year, but the others that came after don't.

So, it's literally only Dodonpa that uses it now.

S

SimonSays99

Hopefully it will reopen for Golden Week in May - so I can ride it later that month... :shock: