What's new

Do You Judge Your Home Park(s) Differently?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I think the point is that TilenB lives in Slovenia, which isn't exactly known for its amusement park scene. The country appears to have three operating Alpine coasters, and that's it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think the point is that TilenB lives in Slovenia, which isn't exactly known for its amusement park scene. The country appears to have three operating Alpine coasters, and that's it.
Poke gets it. ;)

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I consider Thorpe to be my home park and I don't think I do judge it differently in all honesty. Although the operations and atmosphere can be a bit crap sometimes I do genuinely think it's a good park with a varied ride selection. I guess i'm probably a bit more optimistic when things are being announced and new stuff is being built (I really wanted DBGT to be amazing, I haven't ridden it yet so i'm just assuming from what everyone else says that its not), but no as an overall day out experience I think I judge it just like I would anywhere else.

TilenB

Strata Poster
4, we have four Alpine Coasters. Although I feel one of them isn't too likely to reopen in the 2017 season. Sadly, that's also the only one I'm yet to ride. Damn... :/
But yeah, the closest proper park to Slovenia (Ljubljana at least) is Gardaland, which is also more than a 3 hour drive away. That's hardly close and I haven't been there in almost 6 years, so I can't really consider it a 'home park'...

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Living in the Paris suburbs I consider Parc Astérix to be my home park and I feel that non-French enthusiasts tend to overrate the park a little. Tonnerre de Zeus, in spite of its great layout, has gone very rattly in the past decade and is nowhere near the glory of its early years. OzIris was a massive improvement for the park's coaster lineup (in fact, the whole of France's lineup actually) but despite a steep drop and original layout, lacks intensity in the second half.

Yes, it has some good theming with a nice bit of humor and winks at the audience, but it is no Phantasialand either (then again, which park is?). Maybe I am still jugding harshly the park for not adding a major coaster in the years 2001-2012, and spending 15 M€ for the biggest... Mack Bobsleigh back then.

Yeah, I definitely think people are more critical of their home park! I notice that the Brits tend to rip on Thorpe, Blackpool, and Chessington a lot, so I didn't have high expectations for any of those parks when I went, but I ended up thoroughly enjoying them all and wondering why people are so critical of them. Yeah, they're not the best parks in the world (well, I did love Blackpool to be honest), but they're nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be. My home park is Cedar Point, and I can be pretty critical of them but I wouldn't sit there and moan about how awful it is when I go there for a day out! I could have worse home parks, so I try to look at it that way.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
The parks I grew up with (Disneyland and Magic Mountain) are parks whose faults I know well and will readily admit to, BUT those parks are also dripping with nostalgia for me and so I have a baseline of love that is always there. On the other hand, because of that nostalgia, I especially HATE when these parks make changes that lose old attractions or themed areas.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
I don't really have a true "home park," just parks that I go to every year a couple times, but they're 3-5 hours away depending on which park. Yes I do judge them a bit differently, as I've already had multiple visits to them and when one visit is bad compared to the others, I judge based on that visit just because I know the difference between a good and a bad visit there. But when a new park comes, I may not realize what a "bad" or "good" visit is just because I've never been there before and I don't know what makes a visit there good. But for me, as long as operations are good (nothing can be done about large crowds and swarms of GP and that isn't the parks fault) and I'm able to ride stuff consistently, I'm a fan and won't be too upset and judge it hard.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Yes. Painfully.

Disneyland is technically my closest park, but I consider it a novelty so I judge it outside of a typical park in that regard.

KBF and SFMM are judged extremely harshly by me. I think Knott's is dog ****. They haven't had a decent addition in 12 years, and that is a stretch with Silver Bullet. Understanding that they are land locked, noise restricted unlike other parks, they've still made some **** decisions. How many family coasters does a park need? 5 seems way overboard. Then there's SFMM.

Build a ****ing flat. I've been saying that for 10 years. Coasters are great, obviously, but round it out. Yeah, you built Drop of Doom, but that's one in countless years. A star flyer on top of the mountain, a Frisbee up there, hell, anything that plays off height up there would be fantastic so I don't have to die walking up that hill for ****ty ninja and Superman.

Other parks I go to, I just brush off issues, or positives are blown out of the water. There is a reason Dollywood and SDC are my favorite two parks. Well themed, good mixture of rides, and just a great atmosphere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk