What's new

Do you agree with ranking defunct roller coasters in a top coasters list?

Would you rank a defunct roller coaster in your top coaster list?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. I was just reading through @Edward M's thread about wood and steel top 10s, and this inspired me to make a thread about another top 10-related conundrum; do you rank defunct roller coasters?

Now, many of us won't have this conundrum, but say a coaster you really loved; let's take something like Lightning Rod or Steel Vengeance, for example; was ever removed, would you still rank it in your top 10?

I personally would still rank it in my top 10, as it's still a coaster I've ridden, but I know other enthusiasts who are dead against defunct coasters in top 10s.

What do you guys think? Would you rank a defunct coaster in your top 10?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Yep, definitely, in much the same way as I'd count a defunct coaster as 'ridden' (assuming I'd ridden it, of course). There are no defunct coasters in my top 10 at the moment, but if I was to compile a top 40 or 50 I'd be quite happy to include things like the Duelling Dragons, Volcano, ThunderLooper and Firehawk.
Well... maybe not Firehawk (top 100 perhaps, at a push) but you get the idea. :)

Last edited:

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
If it was good enough, absolutely! However, defunct coasters generally tend to not be the best - there's a reason they were scrapped. Some, however, like Dueling Dragons and Wild Mouse, were favorites but had to go due to thematic inconsistency (the former) or maintenance costs (the latter).

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Oh yeah, absolutely. Otherwise that'd be like saying your favourite song had to change 'cos the artisit had died. :p

It offers an interesting perspective though - as you'll NEVER get the chance to re-ride it, reassess it, move it in your list. You'll only ever have that specific memory. Yes, I know this happens with plenty of us and our top tens (or at least, those of us unfortunate enough not to live near Cedar Point :p). My memories of two days at Cedar Point riding Steel Vengeance last summer will likely have to last me several years, and in the mean time that ride will have to stand up to tests against tens of other great coasters, but I could (and will) go back at some point.

So yeah, I definitely would (as @Howie says, no different to still adding it to the ol' coaster count), but a shame that memories may fade. Or they may solidify as nostalgia sets in. Who knows? I'm rambling now...

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Yes, definitely should.

But as Hixee says, it is more difficult since you don't get a chance to reassess. Even if you don't ride your top coasters regularly, the chances are that sooner or later, you'll want to return to the park to ride them again because you enjoyed them so much. That gives you a chance to then freshly compare to new stuff you've ridden in the intermediate years.

Of course, this then highlights the larger problems of trying to do a top 10 list. You can only base it off your memories and own experiences, and these can become blurred the more coasters you ride / the longer it is since you ride them. This is why it would be ideal to have some form of score-based criteria to "mark" coasters when you ride them, but that's extremely difficult since there's no real set formula for doing something like that. This is why I like to at least write down my thoughts of riding coasters, especially ones I love, as soon as possible (I have a couple of little notebooks with random thoughts jotted down from various trips somewhere still I'm sure :p ), since it's easier for me to try and understand what it is I loved about the coaster shortly after riding it.

Anyways, I've rambled and digressed. Yes - you can count defunct coasters in your Top 10.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I believe I have Chinese Fireball still kicking as my #30. That's bound to drop out this year though as I ride more good stuff, but I still have it ranked regardless of its current condition.

But yeah, I think were all pretty much in agreement with this (although it looks like one person voted no, would like to hear his/her thoughts). One's rankings are based off of what they've ridden. If they've ridden it and really like it, whether it will be scrapped or not, well, there you go. Simple.

I suppose it will get harder to compare a defunct ride to others as the years go by. As others have said, you only have those memories to form a ranking, but that's how it is for all the other coasters you've done.

Lastly, I don't think anyone will go "Oh Steel Vengeance just got removed. Therefore it's not my favorite coaster anymore." That's just a bit silly isn't it?

jayjay

Giga Poster
My memories of two days at Cedar Point riding Steel Vengeance last summer will likely have to last me several years, and in the mean time that ride will have to stand up to tests against tens of other great coasters, but I could (and will) go back at some point.
This is the kicker for me. I've got Kumba kicking around in my top 10 from 12 years ago, so I've got better memories of something like Wild Mouse, which I probably rode in its closing season. Of course this is all just stuff we do to keep ourselves entertained so I can write whatever rules I want really.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It was a roller coaster you rode, so only makes sense to be able to rank it as every other coaster experience you have had. I even go as far as to continue rank major conversions, such as Mean Streak and Steel Vengeance, as both roller coasters were two sets of different track giving two very different experiences.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Yes, each ranking is only as good as your memory of it. That doesn't change when it gets removed.

Otherwise that'd be like saying your favourite song had to change 'cos the artist had died.
I'd say the closer comparison would be never being able to hear that song again, but that's a horrible thought.