What's new

Djurs Sommerland | Drage Kongen | Intamin Suspended Family Coaster

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Really nice, @TheCoasterCruiser!

Drage Kongen is still a ridiculously awful name, though. And I can't help but see a word-splitting error there. Does Danish have the same rules as Norwegian when it comes to words like that? In Norwegian, one would put the two words together, "Dragekongen". It's been a while since I read anything in Danish, but I thought the same rules would apply there? I mean, Norwegian is practically a dialect of Danish anyway...

balrog

Mega Poster
Looking at these pictures and the rcdb stats, I'm starting to question the categorisation as a "family" coaster.
I know that up to now, every "high thrill" inverts have been multi-looping coasters. B&M paved the way and Vekoma and Intamin followed. It's therefore logical to think that this inversion-free suspended coaster would be a family ride.
But look at those tight helices, high-bank turns, twists and airtime hills, together with the 30m high lift hill and 80kph expected speed. This coaster plays in the same weight class as its pirate themed neighbour, and it looks forceful and just as exiting.
I think we may see the birth of a new type of high-thrill inverted coaster. And as Intamin are not the best at multi-looping, I think it would be a pretty excellent idea. This coaster would be to twisty terrain-using inverts what mega-lites are for sit down airtime machines.

Also, it would put an end to the question of why not go Vekoma SFC : This is just not an SFC, this is a really Intamin-esque ride.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
That looks a hell of a lot better that I thought it would be. The 2nd helix @ 0.49 into the airtime hill looks extremely forceful, very impressive.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That looks really, really good.

I'm a fan. :) Thanks for sharing!

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Some fellow enthusiasts and I were at the park today to witness some test runs and we filmed the POV already posted above as well as the following off-ride clips.

It looks great, the new area is really beginning to come together nicely.
The coaster looks a bit slow on some parts in the off-ride shots, but this is the testing phase and it has not reached it's final speed yet either, it still needs to be about 10% faster.
While there obviously still is some way to go regarding the theming, they're almost done planting the foliage around the ride and the bamboo looks really nice in between the red track.
The little "cave" that you enter after the launch out of the station, will be themed to a dragons' den (not that one) where there are going to be sound, light and a cool heating effect when passing through.

Last edited:

balrog

Mega Poster
The coaster looks a bit slow on some parts in the off-ride shots, but this is the testing phase and it has not reached it final speed yet either, it still needs to be about 10% faster.
And how would they do that ? It isn't a launch coaster, you cannot fine tune the speed at will. Are they purposely using a less effective lubricant on the coaster wheels to artificially increase friction ?

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
^ First of all, this is Denmark and these runs were in 10 degrees celsius, it will already catch quite a few of those percent in may once it's warmer, if not all of them.
You can also increase the lift hill speed to reach the expected ride-time.

davidm

Strata Poster
That does look really good, looks a lot more substantial ride than the Vekoma kiddy inverts.
Like the look of the indoor pre-lift area, some scope for some nifty theming in there. The outside bits looking good as well (the non-muddy bits anyway) - nice job all round I think. :)

Last edited:

Lofty

CF Legend
This looks absolutely brilliant. I love the flow of it and some of the elements look really quite forceful.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Yep, looks really good considering there's a long way to go with the theming. Surprise surprise... Djurs investing well again.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, that looks really fab. Both the coaster and the surrounding area, and I think it's going to be even better once all those trees and shrubs start growing too.

Only criticism at the moment is that weird section behind the station that it just concrete and gravel. Hopefully something will get done with that in time.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Just wanted to give a short review on this.
I attended the press event for DrageKongen over a month ago (May 4th, it opened to the public on the 6th) but I haven't gotten around to actually post my thoughts on it here, due to personal stuff. - Anyways, here's a short report from that day for those of you who still care:

Bear in mind that while the coaster was finished and ready for riders, there were still a few tweaks to be done here and there, including the surrounding area, so the finished product is a bit more polished, but more on that later.

18402581_940274872742227_5353860369511636652_n.jpg

Some fellow danish enthusiast and I arrived at the park a little earlier than the rest of the "test-pilots" as we had agreed to be in a video for the parks social media platforms. They interviewed 2 of us, including myself and then they filmed our reactions after our first rides. Always a bit nerve-wrecking getting a camera in your face like that, but fun nonetheless.

18446917_940275849408796_5638186195568336700_n.jpg

18447546_940277156075332_5613055692179647428_n.jpg

The video is in danish, but I'll just leave it here for good measure:

Anyways, enough of me being a media whore.

Djurs has yet again surpassed their own standards for storytelling and theming with this new area and coaster. It looks great and the detail is like nothing we've seen in Denmark before and definitely some of the best in Northern Europe. The entrance to the queue as well as the queue itself is a highlight, with path going right past the shiny red coaster tracks with the huge green bamboo to contrast. As you can see on the photos, there's still big green areas within the expansion, in spirit with the classic 'Djurs' feel - although the grassy area right by the coaster is going to be the location of next years 2 (!) new attractions.

Here's a couple of pictures of the detailed theming around the queue and ride:

18221722_940275952742119_8699853111873848840_n.jpg

18403644_940276049408776_3512479128516427423_n.jpg

18342213_940276796075368_9102981626064345810_n.jpg

Btw. the big "blue box" - which some people have called the building housing the station and pre-lift section - is indeed a quite jarring shade of blue, but it is the plan to make it look a lot more "worn out", maybe they already have?

Now on to the ride itself.
*Spoiler Alert*
You start by getting a little launch out of the station accompanied by sound a light effects, you then go through a little helix inside the "dragons cave" and proceed to the lifthill.
This part works surprisingly well and will take most visitors by surprise.
*Spoiler End*
After the 30 meter climb you go down the swooping first drop and through the many twists and turns along the unique layout.
One of this coasters strengths is the very varied and interesting layout, with a lot of nice elements thrown in along the way. It all feels very fresh, which is good.
But while it's definitely a world-class family coaster it's still not as good as, say, Juvelen for me. I do have a few problems with it, but they might also be solved by the time I ride it next. - The thing is, it's quite rough for a brand new coaster and it also loses a lot of speed towards the end. The roughness is my biggest issue though, since I feel like it takes a bit away from the overall experience. But I've talked to both the CEO and the designer himself from Intamin, whom both assured me, that they are aware of this and are working on improving it.

Overall I think the new area and coaster is gonna do really good for the park and I can't wait to see the next steps of Djurs Sommerland's amazing investment plans.

18342296_940275769408804_5116551998072520779_n.jpg

18402610_940276782742036_6986533622403954768_n.jpg

Thanks for reading.
Photo source: https://www.facebook.com/pg/CoasterClubDenmark/photos/?tab=album&album_id=940273292742385

Last edited:

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Really interested to ride this and see how it compares to the Vekoma version, which I love.
The dragon/Tibet theme looks great.

Djurs is an odd park. What is done well, is done really, really well, but then there's that whole concrete area out by Piraten that looks completely unfinished. Hope they sort out the shed here and finish off the area nicely.