What's new

Disney vs Universal- Who's winning in Orlando?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
In terms of dollar, I've no doubt Disney is way out in front. But personal preference? Universal all the way. I mean, it's been a while since I've visited any Disney or Universal properties, but I've always been a Universal guy over a Disney guy.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Yeah, I'd say Universal is getting far more exciting additions than Disney. I don't like what Bob Iger is doing at all tbh, we need another Michael Eisner. Nobody wanted Avatar Land, people aren't happy with Galaxy's Edge, Tron coaster is a clone (and nobody cares about the Tron franchise), I could go on. Too many screen-based rides for my taste! And now we know that a lot of the future additions are screen based too, doesn't look good.

When you find out that a lot of the Marvel attractions that are opening have been designed to use mostly screens so that it can be rebranded to something more relevant in 6/7 years... Doesn't sound good in my opinion. Yeah, will save cash in the future, but to me it just feels lazy.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
tbh, we need another Michael Eisner.
I believe this is the first time I've ever heard that sentence. I take it you're not following Defunctland on YouTube?

Granted, I'm not too happy with Iger's strategy either, but going back to the Eisner days of cheap studio parks and desperate cost cuts that shelved some of the most amazing theme park lands ever conceived... no thanks. Almost every third option must be better.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I believe this is the first time I've ever heard that sentence. I take it you're not following Defunctland on YouTube?

Granted, I'm not too happy with Iger's strategy either, but going back to the Eisner days of cheap studio parks and desperate cost cuts that shelved some of the most amazing theme park lands ever conceived... no thanks. Almost every third option must be better.
I am a fan of Defunctland, kind of. Maybe my statement is a bit generalised, but Eisner at least took risks. Yeah, some of them were bad, so maybe it wasn't sensible to bring him up. Everything that Disney has done as of late just feels so sterile though, I'm bored of it.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Maybe my statement is a bit generalised, but Eisner at least took risks. Yeah, some of them were bad, so maybe it wasn't sensible to bring him up. Everything that Disney has done as of late just feels so sterile though, I'm bored of it.
Agree.

Under Eisner's leadership we had some of the greatest theme park attractions ever built e.g. Tower Of Terror, the whole of Tokyo DisneySea, Paris' original Space Mountain.

There was also some absolute rubbish like the Walt Disney Studios Park and California Adventure.

Honestly, I think I would rather have a mixture of greatness and garbage, than a constant flow of "good" but predictable and uninspired attractions, which is what Iger keeps churning out.