psst is Ian still here? yes... shhhhhh
quick he's gone ; open the ride ; ha ha ha ha. :twisted:

--

Obviously this is "soft opening" at best so no guarantees but someone has said;

[tweet]https://twitter.com/THORPEPARK/status/748866064621207552[/tweet]

Jared

Hyper Poster
Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train (WC16) | Thorpe Park | May 2

The transit system in the 'ride' is fab. The VR is cool, but at present still glitchy. I quite enjoyed it, but it's far from finished.

davidm

Strata Poster

S'open...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/THORPEPARK/status/751369721333837824[/tweet]

DelPiero

Strata Poster

Just in time for the school holidays.

I think i'll wait until the little **** go back to school.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

After 23 months and 74 pages of discussion, it gives me great pleasure to desticky this topic! I look forward to reading reviews.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Oh Merlin. Ffs!

It has so much potential, but is let down majorly but not actually being scary, especially the finale.

It ended with a round of "was that it" comments....

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Rode the Ghost Train for the first time yesterday, and I must say I absolutely loved it. Sure it's not perfect, but I thought it was a cohesive, enjoyable experience, with some good jumps along the way. It's not all that scary, more fun, but I think that was the intention. Overall I think it's a great experience. If you go in with middling expectations, you'll be blown away. Everything from the pre-show to the finale works really well, and I can't wait to see how the ride evolves!

Martyn B

CF Legend

How could you say the finale works well?lol nothing actually happens, it's the least scary section of the entire experience...

Pre show is amazing, highlight of the entire attraction for me. You could sense the tension in the room.

First part of the ride was cool and creepy. But going from VR to reality just doesn't flow well IMO.

Second part was cool, though the live actors were just way too OTT. So much so that it sort of ruined it a bit.

And then there's the final part, which was the biggest let down for me. Just not scary, and so random.

scw55

Hyper Poster

Derren's Browns shows have always appeared up front creepy and scary, but when you watch them, they turn out to be exciting instead. If Derren Brown's Ghost train is exciting instead of scary, then it's on topic for the tone of his other work.

CianJay

Roller Poster

scw55 said:
Derren's Browns shows have always appeared up front creepy and scary, but when you watch them, they turn out to be exciting instead. If Derren Brown's Ghost train is exciting instead of scary, then it's on topic for the tone of his other work.
I agree with this after riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Martyn B said:
How could you say the finale works well?lol nothing actually happens, it's the least scary section of the entire experience...

Pre show is amazing, highlight of the entire attraction for me. You could sense the tension in the room.

First part of the ride was cool and creepy. But going from VR to reality just doesn't flow well IMO.

Second part was cool, though the live actors were just way too OTT. So much so that it sort of ruined it a bit.

And then there's the final part, which was the biggest let down for me. Just not scary, and so random.

We talking about the
section where the smoke demons throw the train down to hell
? I really enjoyed that part, sure it wasn't scary, but I don't think the attraction was really meant to be outright terrifying. Linking back to the
speech holgram Derren gives in the pre-show
I get the impression the ride was meant to be more fun than scary, and I feel this section really provided that. It added some much needed variety to the ride, and sure was a little goofy with some not so amazing CGI, but with
the added movement from the train simulating the falling
I felt it made a good finale to the ride.

Keep in mind this is only the first of two endings to the ride.

I do agree though that the second VR section didn't live up to the standards of the first. I felt the CGI was a bit too outdated for it to work as well as the filmed characters from the first section. But it added variety and there were some cool sections to it. It definitely needs some work, but it's a solid start. It's far superior as an experience to Galactica.

EDIT: Also yeah it's definitely exciting rather than scary. It gives some great thrills, but you're not going to be screaming during the ride.

*sorry for the spoiler overkill in this post*

scw55

Hyper Poster

Bear in mind that Darren describes the ride as a re-imagining of The Ghost Train. Not horror attraction/maze. And ghost trains are aimed at creeping out older children and other children, and provide whimsical Halloween thrills for the older. So, to those who have ridden the ride, it's up to you to decide if the ride delivers a next-generation ghost train or not.

Perhaps some people might feel a little of Thir13en as in expecting something which it is not going to meet.

I do think my comment pages back of the promotional material making the ride seem too creepy would be fair. Then again, the point of promotion is to sell the ride, not provide an honest review of the experience.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Interesting thought, the ride itself doesn't feature any ghosts in it's plot. Anyone else noticed that? Talk about false advertising much? Ha! :lol:

Jamesss

Hyper Poster

silenthillXD said:
Interesting thought, the ride itself doesn't feature any ghosts in it's plot. Anyone else noticed that? Talk about false advertising much? Ha! :lol:
Never thought of that, but now you mention it, it does seem a bit strange. I think a ghostly plot would have been better actually.

There seems to be mixed reviews of DBGT so far. Some say it is outstanding and others say it is very mediocre. It will be interesting to see how it fares long term.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Lofty will probably correct me, but isn't "Ghost Train" just a generic term these days? Like "Haunted House" or something?

It probably has different origins, but it's certainly seems to be used more generically these days.

Lofty

CF Legend

I don't know? I don't see people talking about a normal dark ride as a 'ghost train' and only really hear of people using the term in the correct way?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^True...

Although I would describe lots of dark rides not specifically related to ghosts as being a ghost trains - especially to my non-enthusiast friends.

To me it sounds like it's just an easily marketable name. They get the branding in, set the scene a little for the ride and use a recognisable term.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

The thing that kinda annoyed me a little with the use of the term Ghost Train is
In the pre-show, Derren's talking about his ghost train, then picks up a model train and spectral figures start eminating from it and he blows them into the audience
That's as far as the whole ghost thing goes. It just seems odd to me using them once in the pre-show then never using them again. There's a narrative dissonance there.

davidm

Strata Poster

So the strange levitating train carriage / hanging from the ceiling by chains was all perfectly normal and non-ghostly for you then?