What's new

Cred Head

sandgrown

Mega Poster
After a few months of posting, I'm still getting my head around the finer points of what constitutes a cred. Do Log Flumes and dark rides count? Is Valhalla a cred?
If this topic has been done to death, link me to the best answer.

Thank you.

sandgrown

Mega Poster
Okay. I get it. It just seemed weird that going on a ride for 5 year olds might count, but Valhalla doesn't.
It's just as simple as rollercoasters then.
I'll base my count on "rides in a carriage with some element of intended thrill" I won't count drop towers for example. I read some people count Steeplechase as 3, and Grand National as 0.5+0.5. Which I certainly won't be doing. If you've been on it, it's just 1, as far as I'm concerned.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
tl;dr: Whatever you think is a coaster, you can count.

There has always been grey areas in what counts as a coaster, and if you should count it. Some people go off of what rcdb or Coaster-Count has, but of course there are some exceptions in those. Many tend to go the hard definition of "If it's on a track, has wheels, and coasts, it's a coaster". But then that leaves some things like Bobsleds and Powered Coasters to question. Others are really zany and don't even consider kiddie and family coasters. But to most, it's whatever you think is a coaster. Log flumes and dark rides tend to not be counted, since they don't really "coast" at any point on a designated track. But of course, there are water rides and dark rides alike with coaster elements in them. Again, if you think it's a coaster, count it.

As for Steeplechase/Nash: Steeplechase is 3 distinct, separate tracks that happen to be right next to each other. Nash is what's called a Mobius coaster, where it's really one long track that looks like two. You leave one side of the station and arrive in the other. If you want to ride the whole ride, most people do both sides in order to count it.

Snoo

The Legend
I usually base it off of rcdb tbh.

I also have racing coasters, as long as they aren't mobius, as two separate tracks.

sandgrown

Mega Poster
tl;dr: Whatever you think is a coaster, you can count.

As for Steeplechase/Nash: Steeplechase is 3 distinct, separate tracks that happen to be right next to each other. Nash is what's called a Mobius coaster, where it's really one long track that looks like two. You leave one side of the station and arrive in the other. If you want to ride the whole ride, most people do both sides in order to count it.

I just reject that level of detail when it comes to riding them. I would primitively class it as having been on the ride or not - giving you 0 points or 1. Crude I know.

i'm not as clued up as you guys on most stuff, but I did know that about these two BPB rides.
Here's a question then. For length stats for the National (no-one in Blackpool calls it the Nash), if each ride on it only counts as 0.5, then surely you have to count the total length of the track as the real length of the ride. That is 2,012 metres, making it the 2nd longest coaster in Europe. It can't be that the length stated is the full length if you only count it as half the ride. The two things are mutually exclusive. What do you think? An interesting hypothesis right?

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Here's a question then. For length stats for the National (no-one in Blackpool calls it the Nash), if each ride on it only counts as 0.5, then surely you have to count the total length of the track as the real length of the ride. That is 2,012 metres, making it the 2nd longest coaster in Europe. It can't be that the length stated is the full length if you only count it as half the ride. The two things are mutually exclusive. What do you think? An interesting hypothesis right?

That's such a woke way of analysing it. I agree with your binary way of looking at mobius racers. I've only been on the right side of National but it's on my spreadsheet because it feels more accurate to say I've ridden it than I haven't. Steeplechase still counts as a +3 though.

Matt N

CF Legend
I've only ridden the left side of National, but I personally say I've ridden it, and I'm not counting the right side as a separate cred, as they are the same coaster. Steeplechase, however, would be 2 additional creds in my eyes if I was to ride the left and centre sides, as they are different coasters. It's no different to clones, in my eyes.

Also, I mostly go off of RCDB/Captain Coaster for what counts as a cred and what doesn't.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The real question here... is Superman: Escape from Krypton two credits??
For me, yes. Others would disagree.

My criteria is: could each side run independently, regardless of whether the other is open or not? If they can, then they count as separate credits.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Interesting take on the Grand National, sandgrown. One counter argument could potentially be that you could class it as 2 creds if you consider the "experience" as starting from leaving the station to returning to the station. It is very subjective really, but I'd always consider a cred to be a coaster experience. If I was really being picky, I'd also cheekily count the same cred twice if it has been relocated, particularly if it is presented as a different experience (different setting, theme etc).

If you are a particularly technical goon, you may want to go the direction of counting each individual coaster model as a separate cred. Counting flat rides, dark rides etc can get fairly tedious.