What's new

Crazy Bats VR Coaster - Phantasialand

PhantaDad2017

Roller Poster
The non-VR ride is going to be in complete darkness, just like the temple before. No physical theming during the ride. A bit disappointing, and it seems they have fundamental problems to add any theming in the hall - even if they wanted to restore Space Center, they couldn't. I didn't expect a non-VR option to be available at all before.

MrRC

Mega Poster
But if there is some kind of theming (lights or what ever) u don't see it coz u wearing the VR-glasses.

NightHawkFur

Roller Poster
Not if you decide not to wear them or you are a kid between 1.00m and 1.20m.

I'm dissapointed they didn't at least add some simple light effects in the hall.

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
So I went on this a few times in 2016 and I could have sworn there was some kind of theming on the ride, with little lights and model trees on the floor to make it look like you were flying over villages in a jungle. At the time I was second guessing myself a bit but am I right in now thinking that was all in my head? A shame because I thought it was quite an immersive cheap effect, kind of like Peter Pan at Disney where you fly over a miniature London but much less detailed.

UP87

Mega Poster
Nope. That never existed. That was just in your head. The only theming of that kind is in the station behind some glass. *was

NightHawkFur

Roller Poster
The "lights on the floor" you are talking about were just holes into Hollywood Tour, the darkride underneath the coaster.

Till 2010 there was a laser projected bird inside the hall. Broke someday, was never fixed and the projection screens were removed a while after. The broken laser projector is still hanging above the track there.

Ethan

Strata Poster
So I went on this a few times in 2016 and I could have sworn there was some kind of theming on the ride, with little lights and model trees on the floor to make it look like you were flying over villages in a jungle. At the time I was second guessing myself a bit but am I right in now thinking that was all in my head? A shame because I thought it was quite an immersive cheap effect, kind of like Peter Pan at Disney where you fly over a miniature London but much less detailed.
How much LSD did you take before you rode it? I'd imagine the level of theming varies with that.

PhantaDad2017

Roller Poster
Maybe confusion... I thought to remember some time, that the Temple had a kind of illuminated christmas tree in the hall. Most likely a confusion with Höllenblitz, a mobile dark coaster operating at funfairs (and an actual example how the Temple could have looked better).

Ethan

Strata Poster
Maybe confusion... I thought to remember some time, that the Temple had a kind of illuminated christmas tree in the hall. Most likely a confusion with Höllenblitz, a mobile dark coaster operating at funfairs (and an actual example how the Temple could have looked better).
Yeah, Höllenblitz looks miles better than Temple... ;)
Höllenblitz2.jpg

NightHawkFur

Roller Poster
But Höllenblitz has light effects during the ride. Temple (or now "Crazy Bats non-VR") doesn't have any of those either during the main ride
(there are some strobe lights on the first lift and on the brakerun that may or may not still work) but apart from those its around 3 Minutes of looking at nothing.)

Ethan

Strata Poster
Some disco lights? I think Phantasialand could plonk some of those in if they wanted to with zero effort!
I'm pretty interested to see if they change the station much, maybe they removed all the fake plants and vegetation in there.

PhantaDad2017

Roller Poster
Some disco lights? I think Phantasialand could plonk some of those in if they wanted to with zero effort!
[....]

Just what has been proposed in forums a million times, in now 18 years. Past tense anyway.

I am waiting to know if VR riders will still see the station anymore, with the old airport tower, or if PHL do it like with Valerian in Europa Park, VR walk-on (I only know the video from there). Don't expect much physical theming in VR areas, maybe just blue and white paint.

In my expectation, Crazy Bats isn't going to become a major attraction of the park, but a formerly neglected one turned into an enjoyable middle class ride.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
To be fair, it looks pretty nice inside :D
I'm at least happy with that. Anyone experienced the coaster already and has a opinion in the experience?