What's new

Crash at Parque de Atracciones Madrid

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Two trains of TNT Tren de la Mina have collided. Several people have been injured.
http://news.sky.com/story/rollercoaster-crash-at-spanish-theme-park-injures-26-people-10950852

How is this possible again? And again it's a Gerstlauer. It is not sure yet whether it has been a technical issue or human error, it will be bad for Gerstlauer's reputation, which is sad since they are making some nice coasters.
I hope the injured get well soon and don't carry any permanent damage from this.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
And to think.... with VR on, you wouldn't have known to brace for impact. ouch
And... doesn't this use mags? shouldn't that have made it rather... failsafe?

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Technically didn't Gerst also make the restraints the the woman flew out of on New Texas Giant too?

...they're becoming the new Intamin!

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Spanish media are a bit over the top with these news...
According to some reports, a train was stuck between the final brake run and station while the other one was already on the main track, so when the second train entered the first set of brakes, it collided with the one that was already stuck.
I find it really hard to understand how this situation happened on a coaster working with blocks, unless someone was not running the ride as it was supposed to (i.e.: manual mode). In case the first train wasn't able to move into the station, shouldn't the ride op hit the E-Stop in the first place? Why didn't the second train stopped on top of the lift hill when the following block was already occupied?

As for the riders, all of them have bruises and whiplash but as far as I know, no one is in critical condition.

Picture showing the damage on the first car from the second train.
IMAGEN-ACCIDENTE-TREN-U10109921119SID--510x286@abc.jpg

And
LOL

TLARides

Hyper Poster
^Technically didn't Gerst also make the restraints the the woman flew out of on New Texas Giant too?

No, New Texas Giant was entirely RMC's work.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
^Yes, the track was but I believe the trains are from Gerstlauer. The ride was built before RMC started building their own trains.

EDIT: RCDB agrees with me:
Screenshot 2017-07-17 20.40.16.png

Smithy

Strata Poster
If I dug up my old trip report from here I'm sure I made comments about how the mouse coaster was being run, didn't look like they were using the block system at all with how they were dispatching trains so, speaking somewhat ignorantly, I wouldn't be surprised frankly.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
As far as I have been told, PdA run their mouse this way because they staff just one person, so in order to be able to pay attention to the coaster at all times they load all cars (4) in the station, send them around and not until they are back, let the next batch of people in. If they had a second ride op, they could load and unload cars as they come into the station to allow the queue to move at a steady pace, but it's PdA, so they won't even bother.

Back to the main topic, it seems that the ride op didn't realise the train cresting the hill had not stopped as it was meant by the blocking system. Even though he ran to the control booth it was too late by then. It all is too fishy. I can think of three possible explanations:
- The blocking system didn't work properly (Gerst fault).
- The ride was run in manual mode by a ride op (which is completely forbidden during public operation, as far as I know, which would make PdA liable).
- Maintenance had just added the second train on the coaster and didn't turn automatic mode on before handing it to operations (PdA fault).

One way or another, I personally think that better training could have prevented this situation.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I hope the riders are fine, and escape the incident without major injuries.

I do hope, however, that the chain that owns the park is sued for every penny they have, so they are forced to sell off their entire portfolio of parks to pay reimbursements and legal fees.

You don't get three guesses as to which chain owns Parque de Atracciones de Madrid and consider it their "flagship park"...

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I hope the riders are fine, and escape the incident without major injuries.

I do hope, however, that the chain that owns the park is sued for every penny they have, so they are forced to sell off their entire portfolio of parks to pay reimbursements and legal fees.

You don't get three guesses as to which chain owns Parque de Atracciones de Madrid and consider it their "flagship park"...

May I ask what is so bad about Parques Reunidos in general?