What's new

Could we ever see real coaster enthusiast shorts?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Do you think we'll ever see shorts marketed especially to coaster or amusement park enthusiasts on the market?

By this I mean shorts that are quick drying, shorts that have at least two decently sized, zippable pockets, pockets that are lined inside so as to be waterproof. Shorts like this would be a dream find for many coaster/amusement park enthusiasts.

The usual answer here is that coaster/park goons are far too much of a niche market to be attractive to any entrepreneurs. But I thought the conventional wisdom of the modern market -- with its online presence and streamlined shipping -- was that niche markets could still be profitable to low-production companies, companies that are set up with small supplies or even make-to-order manufacturing? Can I not dream of such a product?

And before you fashionistas proclaim that you'd rather be impaled an a spike than wear anything remotely resembling the dreaded cargo shorts, start your own thread for that.

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Might I humbly submit to the court: hiking shorts

Something like this: https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/12951064/hiking-shorts/?sp=1&color=Graphite

Everything you described is, in short (hah, pun) exactly aligned with what's desired for general outdoor wear. Utility to carry stuff, quick-dry/relatively water resistance, and (something you didn't mention) relatively breathable/cool for hot summer months.

I have the above Eddie Bauer shorts and pants - bought them originally for hiking and kayaking, but have found they are my absolute go-to for amusement parks too.

And if you think hiking chic looks good (aka quick to don a Patagonia quarter zip) congrats! This will look good on you as well.

And because it's quarantine and we have limited interaction with the outside world, here's a quick model of a pair I pulled from the back of the closet!

IMG_8229.JPG
IMG_8230.JPG
IMG_8232.JPG

The bigger question I'd like to ask is "enthusiast shirts". Even the one I'm wearing is a simple cotton shirt on a dark grey; spells utter overheating and sweating disaster during the summer. I honestly go to quick-dry material in the summer when visiting parks; work out shirts, soccer jerseys, etc. How about rethinking the materials we print roller coaster logos to, so they are more comfortable/usable during hot summer park visits?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Might I humbly submit to the court: hiking shorts

Something like this: https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/12951064/hiking-shorts/?sp=1&color=Graphite

Everything you described is, in short (hah, pun) exactly aligned with what's desired for general outdoor wear. Utility to carry stuff, quick-dry/relatively water resistance, and (something you didn't mention) relatively breathable/cool for hot summer months.

I have the above Eddie Bauer shorts and pants - bought them originally for hiking and kayaking, but have found they are my absolute go-to for amusement parks too.

And if you think hiking chic looks good (aka quick to don a Patagonia quarter zip) congrats! This will look good on you as well.

And because it's quarantine and we have limited interaction with the outside world, here's a quick model of a pair I pulled from the back of the closet!

The bigger question I'd like to ask is "enthusiast shirts". Even the one I'm wearing is a simple cotton shirt on a dark grey; spells utter overheating and sweating disaster during the summer. I honestly go to quick-dry material in the summer when visiting parks; work out shirts, soccer jerseys, etc. How about rethinking the materials we print roller coaster logos to, so they are more comfortable/usable during hot summer park visits?
Well, the debonair model you've hired for those photos surely makes them look good, but that's not quite the same. You listed the qualities those shorts have, but you left off the most crucial one, imo -- zippable pockets -- and then you also didn't mention waterproof, lined pockets.

I have used hiking shorts, and cargo shorts, and what we in the States call board shorts (may be just a West Coast thing -- basically, casual beach shorts), and occasionally I can get enough of the aforementioned features to be relatively happy with them at amusement parks. But I would love a shorts company that focused especially on including all these features.

And I say it's niche, but it could be marketed a little more broadly as summer fun by the water sort of shorts.

EDIT: I see that those Eddie Bauer shorts do indeed have TWO zipped pockets (often I find shorts with just one), so yes, those are a good choice for sure.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Indeed, these do have zippable pockets. These are also marketed as "heavily water resistant", and can confirm they work perfectly well for the occassional water ride or downpour.

FWIW, a true "waterproof" short doesn't really exist, outside of good ol' rain pants. There are some lines of clothing marketed for more specific boating/fishing that have a more rigid material that might bode better for water; but I can confirm a wallet came out dry, wearing the above shorts, after riding Bilge-Rat Barges at IoA. :p

I guess I'm just trying to encourage folks to look towards specific outdoor wear lines for amusement park clothing; as indeed a traditional khaki short really doesn't get the job done.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I almost forgot it was closed season, then I read this thread.

I’m a bag guy... Absolutely refuse to take my belongings on many rides, even with zippers, as I’ve so far snapped an Ecig, cracked a phone, and forgotten to zip up and yeeted an ecig from the top of Swarm. So I do not have a good track record. Instead I take a bag, and everyone else uses it for valuables too.

For water rides I carry a spare change of clothes in my car boot at all times, but more importantly spare footwear!!! I can take being wet, but wet feet **Shudders**

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Ugh too true. FWIW, women's hiking shorts can be promising, if not still obviously smaller pocket size than the male version. ?

I’m a bag guy... Absolutely refuse to take my belongings on many rides, even with zippers, as I’ve so far snapped an Ecig, cracked a phone, and forgotten to zip up and yeeted an ecig from the top of Swarm. So I do not have a good track record. Instead I take a bag, and everyone else uses it for valuables too.

For water rides I carry a spare change of clothes in my car boot at all times, but more importantly spare footwear!!! I can take being wet, but wet feet **Shudders**
I only wish bags were easier to use in American parks; alas the proliferation of pay-for lockers has only gotten worse, not better. Let's just say cargo shorts are my way of socking it to the capitalist "man". :p

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Indeed, these do have zippable pockets. These are also marketed as "heavily water resistant", and can confirm they work perfectly well for the occassional water ride or downpour.

FWIW, a true "waterproof" short doesn't really exist, outside of good ol' rain pants. There are some lines of clothing marketed for more specific boating/fishing that have a more rigid material that might bode better for water; but I can confirm a wallet came out dry, wearing the above shorts, after riding Bilge-Rat Barges at IoA. :p

I guess I'm just trying to encourage folks to look towards specific outdoor wear lines for amusement park clothing; as indeed a traditional khaki short really doesn't get the job done.
You may be happy to know I just bought a pair of those shorts. Hope you get your usual commission for the sale.

And I was saying the shorts should be quick drying, but I wasn’t saying the shorts should be waterproof. I was saying that ideal amusement park shorts (IMO) would have one or two lined pockets, making the inside of those pockets waterproof. This would mean you could have cash or a phone in your pocket, go on Valhalla, and not worry about your valuables getting wet. Currently, my method is putting valuables in a small ziploc bag (sealable, clear, plastic bag), and putting that in my pocket. It works, but I look like an idiot when I pull my money out to pay for a meal.

Fair enough. Whatever works for you. Personally, I’d almost rather stay home than drag a bag around a park, but that’s my hangup.

Lol try being female where pockets aren't even a thing half the time ?
I’ll have to try that. ;)

I only wish bags were easier to use in American parks; alas the proliferation of pay-for lockers has only gotten worse, not better. Let's just say cargo shorts are my way of socking it to the capitalist "man". :p
This is a big part of my aforementioned aversion to taking a bag. Even if someone accompanying me says they want to take a bag, inside I can’t help but think, “Oh well, there’s goes a big chunk of the day fussing with arrangements before every ride.”

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
This is a big part of my aforementioned aversion to taking a bag. Even if someone accompanying me says they want to take a bag, inside I can’t help but think, “Oh well, there’s goes a big chunk of the day fussing with arrangements before every ride.”
Yeh I get that, I’d probably have to ‘rethink in the good ol’ US of A. Not been anywhere in Europe where bags are an issue. The closest we have to that system is Energylandia. Their lockers cost a grand total of £1 for unlimited usage, not just all day, but consecutive days too!!!

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Yeh I get that, I’d probably have to ‘rethink in the good ol’ US of A. Not been anywhere in Europe where bags are an issue. The closest we have to that system is Energylandia. Their lockers cost a grand total of £1 for unlimited usage, not just all day, but consecutive days too!!!
Yes, lockers should be inexpensive and in places where their use is forced, they should be free.

To be fair to the U.S., most places do allow anyone to just place their bags in a bin on the exit side of the platform, so my aversion is pretty exaggerated, I have to admit. And there are even some places like Knoebels where you can get in the coaster car, and then just reach over and place your bag right on the platform.

On the other hand, there are a few draconian places that won’t even allow you to have anything at all in your pockets, and then it’s even worse than having a bag because you have to stick your wallet and phone in a locker or shelf or bin all by themselves. The only place in Europe where I remember having to do that was for Vertigo at Tivoli.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
On the other hand, there are a few draconian places that won’t even allow you to have anything at all in your pockets, and then it’s even worse than having a bag because you have to stick your wallet and phone in a locker or shelf or bin all by themselves. The only place in Europe where I remember having to do that was for Vertigo at Tivoli.
Eg. One should not have to pay $2 to ride Steel Vengeance. Mandatory lockers (unless you can manage to sneak a cellphone through metal detection), with no free option.

At holiday park the ride ops on expedition geforce have shorts with zipped pockets and the egf branding/logo. Why they don't sell these in the gift shop is a mystery to me as they would be the ultimate goon shorts!

Another key is for the pockets to be just above knee height so that your stuff isn't crushed by a lap bar. I've generally found that outdoorsy / skiing ) hill waking shops are the best bet for finding good coaster riding clothes with sufficient pockets, and have find some good stuff by craghoppers and salamon etc.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
At holiday park the ride ops on expedition geforce have shorts with zipped pockets and the egf branding/logo. Why they don't sell these in the gift shop is a mystery to me as they would be the ultimate goon shorts!

Another key is for the pockets to be just above knee height so that your stuff isn't crushed by a lap bar. I've generally found that outdoorsy / skiing ) hill waking shops are the best bet for finding good coaster riding clothes with sufficient pockets, and have find some good stuff by craghoppers and salamon etc.
I’m with you on the height of the pockets. Found out the hard way why that’s crucial.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I’m with you on the height of the pockets. Found out the hard way why that’s crucial.
There is definitely a sweet spot for pocket placement, especially if you're trying to keep a wallet or phone in an open, normal pocket. I've found T-bar Intamin restraints to be easiest to work with, the belt especially can easily "cut" into the cargo within your pocket, pressing it along the side of your leg, away from the restraints.

B&M vest restraints too are pretty good for pocket carry-ons, as the surface contact is pretty large with your thigh/hip, making it easy to stash something within a pocket.

Ironically I've had the worst luck on GCIs - their Timberliner restraints are quite loose, making it easy to lose contents from your pocket if you're not careful.

I swear to god, like stand-up coasters; there's a whole artform to pocket security with coasters. ?

rob666

Hyper Poster
Trespass walking shorts...
Stretch material, five pockets, three zipped, quick drying, and a "ball bag".
So good that Dipper "dippy" Dave commented.
Shame I only got to one park in them this year, lovely to see they got their own topic.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Trespass walking shorts...
Stretch material, five pockets, three zipped, quick drying, and a "ball bag".

Never heard of Trespass, but that sounds great. On their website now, so thanks for the tip.

And finally a bag in which to keep my lucky ball that I always bring to amusement parks. ;)

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
My kinda thread.

A few days before my USA trip last year I ventured into Mountain Warehouse and stumbled across a life changing purchase - theme park shorts.

- Zip pockets on the upper thighs, no need for locker faff
- Stretch waist for when you've eaten too many donuts
- Quick dry material gives a license to whore the water rides
- Only £9.99! Wish I picked up another few as I'm not sure you can buy them anymore

Might have to check out those Trespass ones next.

Dressinggown

Roller Poster
The easiest solution would be to buy some waterproof, breathable kecks on the large Internet sites and get the scissors to them.

Gorilla Glue could be used as a binding agent

rob666

Hyper Poster
Forgive me, for I have lied (again, and often).
This years coaster shorts were Regatta, not Trespass.
There is no ball bag, that was the year before.
Still top notch, lots of zips, pockets, and the most kind, fast drying, elasticated cloth.
TK maxx, behind Blackpool Tower, are a solid source for coaster shorts year round.
In aldi yesterday, I managed to find work shorts with seven pockets, one velcro, for a fine £1.25 in the clearance.
They will be used as after work coaster trousers.
I thought of you lovely people.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I just came here to say
1607515913995.png

Joking aside, y'know what's reeeeeally comfy, lightweight, agile and quickdrying? Dresses. Dress & a bag that I can take onto the ride with me (eg one that can be worn front facing usually works) is perfect for a theme park trip. Never understood the appeal of cargo shorts with multiple pockets, walking along jangling like a tambourine all damn day.