What's new

Correct way to pronounce "Candymonium"

How do you pronounce "Candymonium"?

• Can-da-monium

• Can-dee-monium

Results are only viewable after voting.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Just thought I'd make this out of morbid curiosity to see people's opinions here.

I pronounce it "Can-da-monium", but I imagine this topic will divide opinion.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Candymonium
Candy-monium
Can-dee-mo-nee-um

If you look at words that contain ymo, that part of the word is usually pronounced as ?ee-mo-... (? Is the the letter before y), with only nymo words being pronounced as na-mo-... Seemingly the only word in English language with dymo is didymous, which you'd definitely pronounce di-dee-moo-ss, so there's precedent there too.

So yeah, in short, Can-dee-monium.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
I can’t believe this I’d actually a topic...

But because it is, I might as well put my 50p in and yeah I say how it’s spelt, Candy-monium.

Trax

Hyper Poster
I know that english can have quite crazy pronounciations, but even I as a foreigner know how to pronounce "candy".
You don't ask for "Canda" instead of "Candy", do you?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Yes, but surely one would pronounce a newly invented word in the easiest way possible that makes a reasonable amount of sense, regardless of what a specific letter may suggest?

When one "invents" a new word, one should "make" (ie spell) it so it can be said in the easiest possible way, not the other way round. There's linguistic rules which are generally agreed upon that people should follow as much as possible.

You wouldn't invent a car and put the indicator where the horn is, then say "the easiest way possible that makes a reasonable amount of sense to turn your indicator on in this car is to press the indicator button that's in the middle of the steering wheel". You'd put the indicator where the indicator always goes.

davidm

Strata Poster
Childish-child is trying to pronounce it like pandemonium, despite the "-dy-" that is obviously not a soft "-de-" sound.

At least it's not like Americans trying to pronounce aluminium.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Just to be an agent of chaos:

Can-di-mo-ni-um
Given the accent territory Pennsylvania skates between East Coast and Midwest American Accents - I think Can-di-monium is pretty on par with how locals would pronounce.