What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I report on that app as well.

What I find concerning is that lots of businesses aren’t operating with appropriate safety measures in place. There are loads of hair dressers where staff and guests are not wearing PPE, etc.

What I also find concerning is that cases in Leicester are decreasing not increasing, which means we are looking at a national spike in cases due to unlocking rather than local.

In germany, when they unlocked cases have not increased since mid May, they have held steady every day. In my opinion, that is due to stricter legislation for businesses like mandatory face masks etc, rather than the wishy washy “guidelines” that we have here.
There are a few local hotspots which could end up with locl action, read that on the same website :)

I’ve seen first hand, several times now, how much easier it is for countries to manage this with face coverings as the main compulsory measure... But I’m not holding my breath that the UK will ever wake up to that!!!

What’s pissing me off about the businesses not even trying, is that we’ll all suffer, even those of us doing our best... Near us we’ve got pubs with little more than a screen at the till ??

I hear that they’ve shut down the whole of Ripley town centre (close to us) for 48hr because of mass disorder spilling from the pubs there... These businesses need to be held responsible as they’re giving us all a bad name!

JammyH

Hyper Poster
There are a few local hotspots which could end up with locl action, read that on the same website :)

I’ve seen first hand, several times now, how much easier it is for countries to manage this with face coverings as the main compulsory measure... But I’m not holding my breath that the UK will ever wake up to that!!!

Well according to BBC News it seems pretty likely they are going to become compulsory in shops, but that’s one of the many indoor places where they need to be compulsory, so just making them compulsory in shops is falling short of what actually needs to happen!

(Toilets I think are really important that people wear face masks as they can get very crowded and impossible to distance inside).

JammyH

Hyper Poster
What’s pissing me off about the businesses not even trying, is that we’ll all suffer, even those of us doing our best... Near us we’ve got pubs with little more than a screen at the till ??

I hear that they’ve shut down the whole of Ripley town centre (close to us) for 48hr because of mass disorder spilling from the pubs there... These businesses need to be held responsible as they’re giving us all a bad name!

There’s a number you can phone up if you see a business operating with insufficient measures in place (PM me I can send it to you) Unfortunately it’s a lot of businesses which have decided they don’t need to put any mitigation in place and that they will be ok because chances are they won’t close down. So many pubs have not put sufficient measures in place, and a LOT are not cooperating with contact tracing, and similarly a lot of restaurants and hairdressers don’t have adequate mitigation’s in place. Particularly a lack of PPE for staff and customers.

I was at the southampton funfair today (today was the first day it started). And they had really gone above and beyond to make it safe, abundance of hand sanitizer stations, temperature checks on the way in and all staff in PPE. I wore my mask on the rides too, although it was optional for guests to wear masks. Had a good day but seeing the spike in cases today has scared me a bit.

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
For those who like masks
At Alton Towers if you use the skyride you wear a mask
Even though only 1 family group per gondola
Even tho I was on my own
There I was sat in a gondola on my own wearing a mask
Don’t ask me who I was protecting
:confused:
Towers reasoning : it’s a transport ride

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
For those who like masks
At Alton Towers if you use the skyride you wear a mask
Even though only 1 family group per gondola
Even tho I was on my own
There I was sat in a gondola on my own wearing a mask
Don’t ask me who I was protecting
:confused:
Towers reasoning : it’s a transport ride
I dunno probably something to do with stopping you coughing Covid all over the perspex for the next people to touch it :rolleyes:

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Assuming the virus is airborne, it’s an enclosed space, if you breathe virus infected droplets into the gondola, they will linger for a long period of time in the enclosed environment. The next person will get into the gondola and breathe in those infected droplets and pick up the virus.

That’s the only logical explanation I can assume, otherwise it seems odd wearing a mask in there on your own, unless the virus lingers in the air in enclosed spaces, in which case the mask will stop those droplets going into the air particles within the gondola for the next person to inhale.

I’m guessing the gondolas themselves are poorly ventilated. I haven’t been on it for 6 years so I don’t really know what the ventilation is like.

There’s obviously some explanation as to why it’s the case.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
There’s a number you can phone up if you see a business operating with insufficient measures in place (PM me I can send it to you) Unfortunately it’s a lot of businesses which have decided they don’t need to put any mitigation in place and that they will be ok because chances are they won’t close down. So many pubs have not put sufficient measures in place, and a LOT are not cooperating with contact tracing, and similarly a lot of restaurants and hairdressers don’t have adequate mitigation’s in place. Particularly a lack of PPE for staff and customers.

I was at the southampton funfair today (today was the first day it started). And they had really gone above and beyond to make it safe, abundance of hand sanitizer stations, temperature checks on the way in and all staff in PPE. I wore my mask on the rides too, although it was optional for guests to wear masks. Had a good day but seeing the spike in cases today has scared me a bit.
Thanks Jammy, I know there is, but I’m not the kind of person to do that, :( They’re still trying to make a living after being forced to close through no fault of their own, and they obviously have different beliefs to me, so I’ll just continue to bitch and moan and do nothing about it like a proper modern day Brit ??

The GOOD news is that we are doing extremely well so far, so there seems to be a good amount of people who appreciate the measures and extra effort, and who actually choose us because of them.

I got a facebook message the other day from somebody who’d lost a sister to Covid (He didn’t even look old ?) He said he didn’t think he’d ever go ‘out’ again, but saw what we were doing and decided to try us. He said he felt safe, and enjoyed himself, thanked us and said he’d visit again soon. Genuinely brought a tear to my eye whilst reading the message (it went into much more detail.) Reminded me why we were doing what we’re doing and assured me we were doing the right thing and that there was a market for the extra safety despite the faff. I asked if I could share the message with staff to give them the same motivation (we’re all dead on our feet tired!) and he wanted me to do just that.

we’ll carry on the way we are, providing a place to enjoy for those who are nervous, and appreciate the extra measures, and let the others provide a place for those who couldn’t care less... Whilst keeping our fingers crossed that there’s not another peak fast / high enough to cause a second lockdown and significantly more loss of life :(

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
1987 answered the phone and said it has never heard of ventilation or air conditioning in a cable car ride in the UK.

Bentleya

Mega Poster
Good! Making masks compulsory doesn’t exactly give people confidence to go out.

Those who want to wear masks, can - and those who don’t - won’t.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Good! Making masks compulsory doesn’t exactly give people confidence to go out.

Those who want to wear masks, can - and those who don’t - won’t.

I think you should go out and educate yourself.

Masks don’t protect yourself, they protect those around you. If I’m next to you and I’m wearing a mask and you aren’t, you are the only one who is protected from any virus transmission.

Masks only work if everyone is wearing them, then everyone is protected.

If only one person is wearing a mask, they are protecting everyone around them but they aren’t protected. It’s a selfless act.

120 countries worldwide now have compulsory masks, and the majority of those have far less cases AND DEATHS, than the UK does. If you want more people to die, by all means don’t wear a mask, but if you don’t wear one, then just know you could be an asymptomatic superspreader who is indirectly killing someone. Why do you think the uk has the third highest death toll in the world? Because no one wears masks in enclosed spaces, look at germany, compulsory masks in enclosed spaces and 5x less the deaths. People in the UK are still dying from this virus too, we had +148 deaths yesterday. Honestly get a damn grip.

Not wearing one is just selfish behaviour.

Bentleya

Mega Poster
Mate - I honestly think you need to chill out a little bit; this thread is full of soo much negativity on a daily basis and you have a very unhealthy view on everything at the moment.

I’m not being selfish not wearing a mask, it’s a personal choice and I couldn’t think of anything worse being stuck on my face when I’m out and about.

Yes my views are different to yours, but good job shooting everyone down who questions your posts.... it’s a recurring theme if you look through this thread.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Mate - I honestly think you need to chill out a little bit; this thread is full of soo much negativity on a daily basis and you have a very unhealthy view on everything at the moment.

I’m not being selfish not wearing a mask, it’s a personal choice and I couldn’t think of anything worse being stuck on my face when I’m out and about.

Yes my views are different to yours, but good job shooting everyone down who questions your posts.... it’s a recurring theme if you look through this thread.

1. You are being selfish. You never know if you are carrying the virus, infact the latest data suggests 80% of people are asymptomatic, which means it’s really easy to pass on the virus without knowing you have it, especially in enclosed, poorly ventilated spaces.

2. I am absolutely tired of lobbying masks in this country for the last 4 months, I’ve been pushing it to friends, family and the local community. I am just trying to make a positive difference so that less people die in this country from this deadly virus. Clearly you don’t care that the death toll amounts to nearly 45,000 now? Well if people keep acting like you and saying masks and social distancing are “personal choice” you could just be indirectly infecting someone, who goes to hospital and then dies as a result. I’m not being negative, I’m being honest and realistic.

Some people are just so selfish, and to be honest, not wearing a mask in enclosed spaces, is a selfish act as it’s putting others around you at risk. I don’t care if you claim it’s affecting your human rights, just get on with it. If everyone wears a mask in enclosed spaces, this pandemic will be done sooner and the virus will be suppressed quicker. Do some research of scientific facts.

Germany, spain, Italy, France. Just an example of some european countries for you who have compulsory masks in enclosed spaces. People there wear them not only because it’s compulsory, but also because it’s the right thing to do to save lives. And what a surprise? Their death tolls are all far lower than ours, and ours are still rising.

So please, for the love of god, protect your local community, your friends and family, do the right thing so more people don’t die from this deadly virus. I can’t stress it enough.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
it’s a personal choice and I couldn’t think of anything worse being stuck on my face when I’m out and about.

This just highlights how selfish you are actually. Having something “stuck on your face” when you’re out and about, could save someone’s life. I honestly don’t understand how that means nothing to you, and how you could be ok with someone indirectly dying as a consequence of your ignorance.

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
Can we confirm all masks are made of special fabric that only allows the virus to go one way. It can’t escape but it can get in :rolleyes:

Anyway

Waiting in the queue for Enterprise today at Towers.
Ride op: “ everyone in the queueline get your masks ready to ride”

Probably 80% of those that hat off had no masks and the same percentage of those that got on didn’t bother with a mask.

Not another word said by the ride op ?

Smithy

Strata Poster

Idk, a ventilator tube done my throat seems like a worse alternative.

I just don't get the logic behind refusing to wear a mask? I mean, I guess it makes sense given there was initially a refusal to wear seatbelts when it became mandatory, and certain people will always find a way to complain about something.

Ultimately, don't be a Karen.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Can we confirm all masks are made of special fabric that only allows the virus to go one way. It can’t escape but it can get in :rolleyes:

Anyway

Waiting in the queue for Enterprise today at Towers.
Ride op: “ everyone in the queueline get your masks ready to ride”

Probably 80% of those that hat off had no masks and the same percentage of those that got on didn’t bother with a mask.

Not another word said by the ride op ?
Are you suggesting that because microscopic aerosols can still be inhaled by a mask wearer, this must mean that a mask cannot catch droplets expelled by a wearer???

If you are then *face palm* I’m extremely surprised that you cannot see the flaws in that logic good sir... If you’re not then I sincerely apologise for missunderstanding your post.

Masks don’t 100% protect either the wearer or their contacts, because the smallest aerosols can still pass both ways. But they certainly hugely reduce the risks to the wearer’s contacts, as they catch all kinds of droplets that would otherwise be expelled when talking, coughing or even breathing... It’s a very simple concept to grasp.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Germany only had 138 positive tests today, and Italy 234 positive tests, and they either have a larger or similar population to the UK. This compares to a UK increase of 650 (and over 800 yesterday).

Given the UK now has high volumes of testing and contact tracing in place, the only difference to strategies in Italy and Germany is a strictly enforced mask policy. This mask policy is resulting in lower rates in Germany and Italy by 3-4 times than the rates in the UK.

All the people in the UK sat back and watched in horror the thousands of deaths in Italy when they were at the peak of their curve, I’m genuinely shocked there are some people in this country who don’t care that our death rate is so much worse than these other countries. I’m honestly ashamed in this country for so many deaths in this pandemic, it could have been prevented, and way more deaths still can be prevented. Wear a mask in enclosed spaces, and you will potentially save someone’s life. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp, so I don’t understand how some people are so incompetent and can’t do the right thing and wear one in enclosed spaces.

As said above, more people in hospital beds, on ventilators and more deaths is far worse than people having to walk around with masks on their face. It’s a choice to make, thousands more deaths and potentially putting your own life at risk too, or wear a mask for the next few months. I know which I choose, so I’ll be continuing to do the right thing.

cocoa

Mega Poster
I love when americans forget that the world exists outside them and *shocker* may actually be doing something better than them. It's your right in america to not wear a mask, and the consequence of practicing that right is assuming a portion of the burden of guilt for the hundreds of thousands of deaths and the ongoing spread of the pandemic. If you're truly cool with that, be my guest- still my right to call you selfish for that!

source- american in australia

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Interesting video of what Portaventura is like with the measures in place. Mask wearing is I believe mandatory throughout the park. but also advised / mandatory in most public spaces in Spain.

Posted on Loopings. For some reason only 360p but interesting watch nonetheless.

Looking into heading out there for the first time in September. Obviously not expecting full experience since there are no shows, which I've heard are great. Will see.