What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Matt N

CF Legend
Did anyone see today’s announcement from Rishi Sunak in the Commons? Some stuff was announced that could really benefit UK parks; VAT is being cut from 20% to 5% in hospitality & tourism for a start, which I believe Nick Varney of Merlin has been lobbying for for some time even pre-COVID.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Did anyone see today’s announcement from Rishi Sunak in the Commons? Some stuff was announced that could really benefit UK parks; VAT is being cut from 20% to 5% in hospitality & tourism for a start, which I believe Nick Varney of Merlin has been lobbying for for some time even pre-COVID.

Does this mean the parks would be cheaper for us as consumers?

davidm

Strata Poster
^ it should do yes, that's the idea. Will be up to the attraction to pass it on though.

Cue: MAP holders demanding a refund..... ?

JammyH

Hyper Poster
^ it should do yes, that's the idea. Will be up to the attraction to pass it on though.

Cue: MAP holders demanding a refund..... ?

I wonder if merlin will drop their prices, or just keep them the same and take the extra tax as profits.

Do we know when this comes into action? Looking at booking blackpool and Drayton so might as well wait until the prices drop now.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Deary me.
Prejudice is frowned upon, apart from the elderly.
Age prejudice rises again.
I have twenty elderly customers between 70 and 94.
All are still at home, still following the rules, still keeping away from their family.
Always good to blame the generation before.
Sadly it’s not the case in the pub I run, before lockdown they advised anybody over 65 to stay home, and advised all to avoid pubs... Our pub was packed, one of the busiest weeks of the year, Mostly the older generation, being a country pub. (Think I’ve actually mentioned this previously in this thread.)

Things may be different now we all know what we know, I have nothing to suggest otherwise, but certainly before lockdown, my own experiences were of a generation who thought it was all nonsense.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
UK cases up by 630 today, a little bit of an increase on the past 2 days.

We are 5 days after “super Saturday” and cases normally take 5-14 days to show up, so it’s possible we could be seeing a small spike in cases from the unlocking measures and reopening of indoor venues like pubs and cinemas.

Hopefully it won’t increase more as it’s just a small uptick in cases so far and hopefully it is just an anomaly day and cases continue to decrease in the UK.

Themeparknewbie01

Roller Poster
I can't envisage the Parks passing the 15% saving on, especially whilst they are working to limited capacities. Can you also imagine 6 months time when the GP have forgotten why there was a price decrease and suddenly entry goes up 15% overnight!

If they pass the saving on, it might show something about their current attendance figures vs projections. To be offering a perceived 'discount' whilst operating on strictly limited numbers cant be a good sign.

I noticed that Drayton have removed their blue light discounts etc for now.

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
^But you could get seriously unwell and have long lasting damage. And pass it on to others who could die.

How selfish. Yeah no one likes lockdown but it was necessary. Get over it.
selfish because I'm not going lock myself away and worry about catching it?

how is that selfish

did I say everyone has to do what I say

Not at all, his self centred 'I don't care about anyone else I infect' attitude is frankly awful. Not that I am surprised by it at all

please provide where I say I do not care about how I will infect anyone else

please do not make lies about me. much appreciated

Unfortunately @BlueSonicHD I don’t agree with you, the elderly and at risk are some of the most stubborn sods who will not be locked away while we get to ‘get on with things’ They didn’t listen to shielding advice before lockdown, and they won’t listen after, the group effort was probably needed :/

you dont think we should protect the most vulnerable ? or we should all be scared about catching it and dying ? i'm confused :(

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
*Looking for the amusement park theme in the Covid discussion*

Let's stick to the core discussion of Covid-19 impact on the amusement park industry.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
selfish because I'm not going lock myself away and worry about catching it?

how is that selfish

did I say everyone has to do what I say

please provide where I say I do not care about how I will infect anyone else

please do not make lies about me. much appreciated

you dont think we should protect the most vulnerable ? or we should all be scared about catching it and dying ? i'm confused :(
I don’t think that the ‘safer’ should go on as normal... While the vulnerable shield... Because they won’t :)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
UK cases up by 630 today, a little bit of an increase on the past 2 days.

We are 5 days after “super Saturday” and cases normally take 5-14 days to show up, so it’s possible we could be seeing a small spike in cases from the unlocking measures and reopening of indoor venues like pubs and cinemas.

Hopefully it won’t increase more as it’s just a small uptick in cases so far and hopefully it is just an anomaly day and cases continue to decrease in the UK.
You need to start comparing daily figures to the same day 7 days / a week ago...

new infections down by over 100 in 7 days... Despite today marking the all important 5 day average incubation time since pubs opening..,