What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

JammyH

Hyper Poster
As expected all UK parks are now shut. I imagine the government had words with the remaining parks who were still operating an forced them to close

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I personally doubt the government forced the parks' hands. A mixture of Merlin's attractions being super quiet, likely staff concerns/shortages and growing concerns about negative press from staying open started to force their hand.

Blackpool and Paultons were probably just following Merlin's lead and copying what they were doing.

If the government had told the parks to close, they'd probably being telling plenty more places to close.

Ethan

Strata Poster
If the government had told the parks to close, they'd probably being telling plenty more places to close.
Agreed. And I agree with all of this post tbh.

My mate works at Sealife in Brum and that's still open for some reason. If the government had forced anything on Merlin, they would have shut those too, right? They must be losing more money keeping the midway attractions open than they're making, surely.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The midways are significantly cheaper to run, and usually earn much more money for Merlin (if in the right location), which is one reason their strategy in recent years has been to expand upon the number of them they have. They probably have a much greater chance of returning a profit on those than anything else.

Trouble is that they're getting so few people visiting - I heard that one of the Legoland Discovery Centres had less than 20 people visit one day. Regardless of the situation, those are numbers that should make any business go "this needs to close".

Smithy

Strata Poster
The government wouldn't have forced their hand at all. I'd be surprised if they'd even been in touch.

It will be mostly a financial decision based on early trends from those parks that have opened already, and probably hastened by the decision to close schools from tomorrow (meaning they know they'd be in for bad press if the park was full of kids over the next few days). However they've reached it, they've clearly ended up at the right conclusion for now - I just hope they give the staff the support they need.

i305_zack

Mega Poster
China parks are starting to open back up, expect American parks to stay closed for two months at most. We can see the end but are not really close right now. Stay safe guys, we will be riding again soon!!

cookie

Giga Poster
China parks are starting to open back up, expect American parks to stay closed for two months at most. We can see the end but are not really close right now. Stay safe guys, we will be riding again soon!!
I wouldn't be so sure about that, the American (as well as most of Europe) situation looks like it could deteriorate worse than China. Better to keep expectations down.

Last edited:

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Also the first cases in China broke out in November but it wasn’t reported on the news until end of January... so it’s been like 3-4 months for them to get it under control, and now the rest of the world is screwed over, meaning there will inevitably be a second wave in China at some point.

Think 12 weeks from now is an optimistic but maybe realistic expectation for the parks to reopen, so maybe about June ish time, maybe July.

Llama Drama

Roller Poster
Unrelated to theme parks, but relevant to the crisis at hand:

Please, for the luvva God, and the sake of others, DO NOT 'panic buy'/hoard! Contrary to many belief, there is literally no reason to be stockpiling stuff in the way people have been in the last couple of weeks.

Grocery stores are not closing, nor is there any indication that food/essential supply companies will be significantly downsizing production. Therefore, these "shortages" we're seeing are entirely artificial short-term ones -that have to do simply with people buying WAY more than they need, thus blindsiding stores with a demand suddenly too high to accomodate at once.

Sure, buying a little more than usual is reasonable, but going for an all-out "doomsday supply" like some are is just plain stupid, unnecessary, and incredibly inconsiderate to others. All you're doing by that is just outstripping the current supply of goods, excessively so, and making life harder for others.

Not to mention, everyone ransacking these places at the same time is counter-intuitive to the goal of social distancing.

If everyone had just continued to shop in the same manner that they'd been before (not panic-buying), then I'm thinking that would probably would have been more conducive to containing the virus than the situation we have now of ransacking, thus causing people to drive around to SEVERAL different stores only to be met with even more empty shelves.

Long story short = please, think before you buy. Don't hoard. I get that many businesses are closing, but grocery stores are not...

Matt N

CF Legend
The supermarkets in Britain have said that there is enough food to go around everyone provided we are all fair in how much we take, so I don't personally feel any need to panic buy things.

With regards to when the parks will reopen, Boris Johnson stated yesterday that he thinks we can "turn the tide" in 12 weeks. I'm assuming he means that in 12 weeks, we will have passed the peak and will be beginning to return to some degree of normality, so I'd say that parks should probably be open in time for summer. In terms of economic impact, I could potentially see parks having a very good Q3/Q4, especially if there's nice weather; people will probably want to blow off some steam and go outside after months in lockdown, and visiting a theme park is arguably the perfect way to do this!

Last edited:

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Is there a chance that many parks would operate beyond the usual Halloween cut off, in November / December considering the current closures? (Also BPB's 125th Birthday next year).

Matt N

CF Legend
Is there a chance that many parks would operate beyond the usual Halloween cut off, in November / December considering the current closures? (Also BPB's 125th Birthday next year).
It's certainly a thought, but I'm not sure that the temperatures are really warm enough in a lot of countries for rides to operate.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I can imagine parks that don't already open for winter in some capacity would probably not be able to. But that does make me wonder if others who do might extend their seasons. I know Europa Park have considered in recent years and were again considering again but had not yet decided for this year to open weekends in November rather than have the normal totally closed 3 weeks off season between the Summer and Winter seasons. To make up for lost time and profits, and the benefit for staff I could see that maybe finally happening this year if they feel they could attract enough people. Will be interesting to see what various parks do going forwards; just hopefully works out well for them in the long term but it will definitely be a struggle.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Pubs, clubs, restaurants, theatres, some shops, cinemas, gyms and leisure centres have been asked to close after tonight in the UK. Presumably this would have affected theme parks regardless.

Matt N

CF Legend
More positive news for you all; Japan is now starting to reopen some of its theme parks: https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...esume-some-operations-in-virus-hit-japan.html

I'm not sure if that's the entire list, but at the very least, Legoland Japan and Toshimaen are now preparing to reopen. Legoland will open again on 23rd March and I'm assuming that Toshimaen will be at a similar time.

Considering parks in Japan only shut about a month ago, that's a surprisingly quick turnaround!

Matt N

CF Legend
Some good news for you all; theme parks in Japan are now beginning to reopen. The following have either reopened or are planning to reopen within the next couple of days:
  • Legoland Japan (reopening on 23rd March)
  • Toshimaen
  • Nagashima Spa Land
There may well be more for all I know; I even checked Universal Studios Japan's website, and they're currently planning to reopen on 29th March.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Expect more small parks to announce lay-off if staff and possible bankruptcy procedure; especially seasonal parks that have a very specific window for operation.

To update from the American side, a lot of seasonal parks are set to open late-April to mid-May, which lines up with expected peak infection for Covid. Once we are on the back-half of the infection curve; that will be a challenging balance between when they can legally open (expect states/countries to mandate closures) and actually have staffing capacity to reopen. I would expect June/July to be relatively back-on-track, but losing 2 months of regular operation will be a big revenue blow.