What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

i305_zack

Mega Poster
Guys, I have seen some stuff that kind of scares me. Sea world doesn’t know if they will be able to open all their coasters they had planned for this year, do you guys believe that and how much money do you think they had left to put into the construction before everything was haunted for all their parks??

Matt N

CF Legend
Guys, I have seen some stuff that kind of scares me. Sea world doesn’t know if they will be able to open all their coasters they had planned for this year, do you guys believe that and how much money do you think they had left to put into the construction before everything was haunted for all their parks??
If they open them in 2021, all they’re doing is just delaying the opening so they can open their investments with the proper fanfare they deserve instead of having social distancing overshadow everything!

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
It makes sense to open coasters like Iron Gwazi when they can do a proper event rather than have all the press for it have social distancing and everyone in masks. Not sure how much harm it does having it standing there for a few months before it opens, can't imagine it's much other than the weathering on the paint.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Just to follow-up on my video, Florida is among the first states in the US to issue any specific guidance that includes the word "Amusement Park": Amusement Parks may apply for re-opening starting May 18. As background, each state in the U.S. has some jurisdiction on not only inspecting rides for safety, but also certifying amusement parks, fairgrounds, other attractions for operation. One would imagine the wording "apply" implies the state reviewing safety measures and protocols put into place, to ensure parks observe social distancing and cleanliness protocol. No word yet from Busch, Disney, nor Universal on target reopening dates.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Somebody's optimistic...

View attachment 8302

Not really, transmission in the community is lower than before lockdown... 90 deaths in hospitals in England yesterday, Down from almost 1000 at the peak. Keep in mind deaths are generally 2 to 3 weeks behind the point of transmission...

July 4th is nearly 7 weeks away, that’s almost the same amount of time we’ve already been in lockdown, repeated... I would actually support that timeframe, for some areas at least, being brought forward. London for example had just 14 new cases in a day the other day, the Midlands isn’t far behind. The only problem or obstacle with that is that there needs to be at least 2 weeks between each stage to gauge any impact on that all too important R0

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I believe that the Merlin parks are only closing bookings in small chunks as it's easier to process refunds/exchanges that way. No one, internally or externally, will be thinking they will actually open June 1st.

I expect that next to no one is booking tickets for June anyway so it probably doesn't make much of a difference.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Good to see this tiny chink of light although the website is not actually stating that they will open on this date.

For those not aware that was the BPB website.

Alton Towers seem to be allowing booking from 1st June which seems very unlikely:
View attachment 8303

I agree it’s unlikely, but NOT impossible though...

I noticed the first night the gov unveiled the new guidance that phase 3 had a ticket icon, then the next day that icon was removed. That’s because the government have still not decided when they can let outdoor leisure pursuits restart. This assumption that it will be July 4th is a worst case scenario, because that’s when we’re reopening the most risky businesses, all being well.

I do think theme parks will be July, because of the misconceptions the GP have about what constitutes a mass gathering, but it’s not impossible that they may be allowed to reopen in June... We will be looking to our neighbours.

See for yourself :)

320B87D4-A72D-4293-AFB4-28868F1552F3.jpeg
E7B89A20-5F78-451E-8F46-11103B6DD4E2.jpeg

Matt N

CF Legend
Merlin have now updated their guidance and said that they are asking all guests with reservations between 1st June and 3rd July to move or cancel their reservations: https://www.merlinannualpass.co.uk/coronavirus

Call me overly optimistic, but I think Merlin could be gearing up for a 4th July reopening; 3rd July seems like an oddly specific date to move to to me... even if it’s not on 4th July, I’m optimistic that we could have UK parks open again in time for the summer holiday rush. It would certainly be nice to be able to use my Premium MAP over the summer holidays!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Merlin have now updated their guidance and said that they are asking all guests with reservations between 1st June and 3rd July to move or cancel their reservations: https://www.merlinannualpass.co.uk/coronavirus

Call me overly optimistic, but I think Merlin could be gearing up for a 4th July reopening; 3rd July seems like an oddly specific date to move to to me... even if it’s not on 4th July, I’m optimistic that we could have UK parks open again in time for the summer holiday rush. It would certainly be nice to be able to use my Premium MAP over the summer holidays!

4th of July is when the government have said they hope to have ‘most of the remaining businesses open. So it’s the best target for companies from most industries to work towards... In the detailed plans that date even lists high risk indoor spaces such as cinemas!!!

P.s was just coming to share that, you beat me to it ? But I’ll do it better ?

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
I imagine Merlin parks and the Pleasure Beach have set 4th July as the earliest possible bookings as that's when they're allowed to reopen, personally I'm expecting them to reopen at the end of July/start of August if they even reopen at all.