What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If I'm not mistaken the main cause of infection is through the air. To me it's quite easy to understand that an indoor environment features a lot less air circulation than the outdoors. I think that's already proven, as well. I don't have anything to cite at hand though.
Plus the number of contact surfaces is significantly larger, so even if there is any surface-based transfer, it's far more likely.

SDaniel

Roller Poster
Do we think social distancing will be phased out once a vaccine is in mass circulation (thought to be at some point in 2021), or do we think it will become permanent, with future attractions being designed around it?
Efteling is already changing the waiting cue's of Droomvlucht and Villa Volta...

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Plus the number of contact surfaces is significantly larger, so even if there is any surface-based transfer, it's far more likely.
Also, UV does decrease the life of the virus, that much is definitely true, so it lives for much less time on surfaces in direct sunlight.

We know this due to various studies (not peer reviewed yet, so not 100% confirmed) but also because UV robots are already being used in hospitals in Asia to sanitise rooms.

It’s also worth noting that the WHO have never denied any effect that UV has on the virus on surfaces, but do not recognise or advise any benefit for UV on the human body. I think that’s important as some people would see the WHO’s comments and take them to mean that UV has no effect on the virus at all.

E299450C-5B9A-426B-A3AC-9EC14F3D117E.jpeg

JoshC.

Strata Poster
My personal opinion is that it probably won't be the latter, thankfully. Chris Whitty suggested that "the end of the year" is the threshold for which social distancing will be needed. By 2021, I predict that the theme park experience will be back to how it was in 2019, pretty much.

I think the thing which will affect theme parks (and a lot of the entertainment industry) is public reaction and thoughts.

Everything could be fine, but people will still be cautious. If a large number of people are still wary of things like being in close contact with others, the entertainment industry will need to respond accordingly. Even if it's a smaller number of people, they'll still need to phase out social distancing measures to keep people reassured.

In my opinion, there won't be any switch that takes us from "social distancing" to "back to how things were". It will be a slow, phased process which I could see happening for a good couple of years at least.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think the thing which will affect theme parks (and a lot of the entertainment industry) is public reaction and thoughts.

Everything could be fine, but people will still be cautious. If a large number of people are still wary of things like being in close contact with others, the entertainment industry will need to respond accordingly. Even if it's a smaller number of people, they'll still need to phase out social distancing measures to keep people reassured.

In my opinion, there won't be any switch that takes us from "social distancing" to "back to how things were". It will be a slow, phased process which I could see happening for a good couple of years at least.
I agree... The public (many of them at least) have used some of their free time to become educated on viruses and contagions... Even with no covid, who actually ‘wants’ to catch the flu, or a cold?

People will be a lot more aware of personal space, hygiene, and surface contact for a while yet.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
It can be as much as 50% to 100% in some countries, 50% to 100% of thousands is... Well, thousands.
That's simply not true. Medical treatment is either completely free or available for a nominal charge in the majority of EU countries (the Czech Republic charges a massive £2.91 for emergency treatment, for example). The only outlier is France, where you pay 30% of medical fees and 20% of hospital fees.
And don’t get me started on repatriation fees for your loved ones to get your body home should the worst happen... (up to £17,000 for those wondering)
Shop around. These dudes will fly your body back to Blighty from France for £3,800. Or just get buried where you die.
But whatever, you take that risk and travel without insurance against your own governments advice. ?

For anyone else reading... Don’t be daft, buy your £10 insurance when it’s available, and when it isn’t, because the government have advised against travelling... Then don’t travel ;)
You're coflating two different issues here. The government have advised against travelling abroad due to the coronavirus. But the government advice regarding having both an EHIC and travel insurance is only to cover private treatment abroad.

I didn't claim it was a zero risk course of action. But it is a very minimal risk. The chances of me needing a mountain rescue or hold space for my body are really low.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
That's simply not true. Medical treatment is either completely free or available for a nominal charge in the majority of EU countries (the Czech Republic charges a massive £2.91 for emergency treatment, for example). The only outlier is France, where you pay 30% of medical fees and 20% of hospital fees.

Let’s hope you’re visiting Czech then... because every country is different... Lets use your example of France... France you pay at least 20% of hospital fees, plus an additional 20EUR per day, this in itself can run into 1000s, for other care sectors, doctors, dental treatment it’s 30%. And, as you alluded to, if you’re in an accident that requires rescue, such as a mountain rescue whilst skiing, you are liable for the entire cost.

In Germany you pay 10% ambulance costs, 10% hospital therapy fees + 10EUR per day, and 10% of medicine / prescription costs... Again potentially adding up to 1000s

In Spain you pay 50% of the medication costs. Could get pricey depending what medication you need.

These are not ‘nominal fees’ And in some cases will add up to a lot of money. Really worth it for a saving of £10 per trip or £60 for a year if you travel a lot?

Shop around. These dudes will fly your body back to Blighty from France for £3,800. Or just get buried where you die.

Hardly disproves my point, still a lot of money, and France is our closest neighbour!

You're coflating two different issues here. The government have advised against travelling abroad due to the coronavirus. But the government advice regarding having both an EHIC and travel insurance is only to cover private treatment abroad.

I didn't claim it was a zero risk course of action. But it is a very minimal risk. The chances of me needing a mountain rescue or hold space for my body are really low.

I am not confusing two issues at all, the government advise travel insurance AT ALL TIMES for more than just ‘private treatment.’ The government have also advised against travelling abroad, meaning you’re unlikely to get travel insurance. Both of those 2 factors combined should mean that, right now, whilst it is still possible to travel to some places, people shouldn’t...

And as this hardly relates to the topic, we should continue this discussion in DM’s, feel free to respond to me there, as I won’t be replying here :) (I’ve already pushed the boundaries of what is relevant in this thread enough myself!!! ?)

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
And as this hardly relates to the topic, we should continue this discussion in DM’s, feel free to respond to me there, as I won’t be replying here :) (I’ve already pushed the boundaries of what is relevant in this thread enough myself!!! ?)
Fair enough. I trust you won't mind if I further correct some of your inaccuracies though. After all, you did claim that medical costs were "as much as 50% to 100% in some countries".
Let’s hope you’re visiting Czech then... because every country is different... Lets use your example of France... France you pay at least 20% of hospital fees, plus an additional 20EUR per day, this in itself can run into 1000s, for other care sectors, doctors, dental treatment it’s 30%.
Yup. I did point out that France is the outlier.
In Germany you pay 10% ambulance costs
Up to a maximum of €10.
10% hospital therapy fees + 10EUR per day
10% for therapeutic treatment only, normal hospital treatment is a flat €10 per day.
10% of medicine / prescription costs... Again potentially adding up to 1000s
Nope. Maximum prescription cost in Germany is €10.
In Spain you pay 50% of the medication costs. Could get pricey depending what medication you need.
You'd pay exactly the same as the Spanish would pay.
These are not ‘nominal fees’ And in some cases will add up to a lot of money. Really worth it for a saving of £10 per trip or £60 for a year if you travel a lot?
In a very, very rare scenario, yes - it could add up to a few hundred quid. And I'm not at all suggesting that people don't purchase travel insurance.
I am not confusing two issues at all, the government advise travel insurance AT ALL TIMES for more than just ‘private treatment.’
No they don't. They recommend travel insurance solely for private treatment. That's all it's needed for.
The government have also advised against travelling abroad, meaning you’re unlikely to get travel insurance. Both of those 2 factors combined should mean that, right now, whilst it is still possible to travel to some places, people shouldn’t...
People who aren't willing to accept any level of risk, no matter how low, should not travel.

SimonProD

Mega Poster
The German state of Niedersachsen has introduced a five-stage plan to reopen most businesses. On themeparks its said they might open May 25th - that would mostly affect Heide-Park - but only outdoor attractions with outdoor queues and only with a hygine concept like only online tickets, distancing, obligatory masks, etc. Indoor attractions or with indoor queues might open later - likely June-July.

I guess the parks that kep their older carnival style rides are happy now as the have ditancing "built-in" like HUSS Break-Dancer or Schwarzkopf/Gerstlauer Monster. On newer rides only the Gerstlauer SkyFly comes to mind.

I assume that capacity will be reduced in the next months to comply to the hygine concept - I might visit Hansa-Park early-June - if it opens - and see how it all works out. If capacity is too horrible I'll postpone visiting Europa, Tripsdill, Holiday in September to next year...

Last edited:

JammyH

Hyper Poster
The German state of Niedersachsen has introduced a five-stage plan to reopen most businesses. On themeparks its said they might open May 25th - that would mostly affect Heide-Park - but only outdoor attractions with outdoor queues and only with a hygine concept like only online tickets, distancing, obligatory masks, etc. Indoor attractions or with indoor queues might open later - likely June-July.

Also Erse Park & Rasti Land now have the provisional opening date of 25. May as well as they lie in the same state as Heide Park.

It is worth pointing out that even though the state government have set a provisional date of 25. May, on the Heide Park website the first day of reopening has been set to the 3rd June, so I guess that is the earliest we can expect them to reopen. https://www.heide-park.de/planen/besuch-planen/offnungszeiten/

Matt N

CF Legend
Efteling is already changing the waiting cue's of Droomvlucht and Villa Volta...
Is this just temporary change in order to allow the attraction to open with social distancing in place, though? I saw what they did, and I thought it was mostly just putting tape down?
P.S. Sorry for double posting!

Heth

Mega Poster
Is this just temporary change in order to allow the attraction to open with social distancing in place, though? I saw what they did, and I thought it was mostly just putting tape down?
P.S. Sorry for double posting!
It looked like they were even digging out portions of railings at Villa Volta so it's definitely a little more than just a short term plan, maybe even long term perhaps?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Fair enough. I trust you won't mind if I further correct some of your inaccuracies though. After all, you did claim that medical costs were "as much as 50% to 100% in some countries".

Yup. I did point out that France is the outlier.

Up to a maximum of €10.

10% for therapeutic treatment only, normal hospital treatment is a flat €10 per day.

Nope. Maximum prescription cost in Germany is €10.

You'd pay exactly the same as the Spanish would pay.

In a very, very rare scenario, yes - it could add up to a few hundred quid. And I'm not at all suggesting that people don't purchase travel insurance.

No they don't. They recommend travel insurance solely for private treatment. That's all it's needed for.

People who aren't willing to accept any level of risk, no matter how low, should not travel.

I will concede that I was not aware of the 10EUR cap in Germany, I didn’t see a cap listed on the EU website for EHIC users.

And obviously we’d pay the same as the spanish pay, that’s the point of the EHIC, doesn’t make these payments token payments does it?

My Up to 50 - 100% remark still stands, and you’ve done or said absolutely nothing to prove otherwise. Unless you are suggesting that ALL treatment, and other aspects of health care, in EVERY EU country, is free of charge under their state healthcare service, or even covered by EHIC at any level, which we both know it isn’t.

Unless of course you can prove otherwise?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
The Dutch Theme Parks and Attractions Association (Club van Elf) has outlined in a document the economic and social value of attractions and how they can guarantee a 1.5m distance can be kept between guests and staff, clear information and instructions of rules to guests and extra hygiene measures.

The TUV (health and safety authority) have approved new methods of checking ride safety.
image0.png

Each park can do what suits them best from spacing markers, modifications to queues or virtual queuing.
image0.png

They also say separate entrances and exits must be maintained.

Talking about ride capacity they explain how to spread out families on Python in Efteling for example. A maximum of 14 guests from 5 families could be allowed per train (normal capacity would be 28 guests).
image0.png

For gastro to avoid contact guests should pay via app. Toilets will have distancing measures and be cleaned more regularly.
image0.png

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Speaking of parks reopening with countermeasures in place...are y'all itching to ride something that badly that y'all will put up with limited capacity and operations? I honestly don't think I can be bothered until the parks are fully operational again.