What's new

Colossus Headbang

Tony

Hyper Poster
I'm around 5ft 10 I think. I didn't find it that rough at all and didn't experience much headbanging when I rode it last year. Sure it's a bit jerky and slightly rough in some places but nothing majorly bad. Still a decent coaster and delivered a fun ride in my opinion but nothing amazing.

A

Anonymous

I find that right near the front or right near the back tends to be more smooth, the middle is a lot more chaotic. Also it also depends on what train you get. One is alot rougher than the other.

A

Anonymous

I'm around 5'6" and only tend to head bang on the Cobra loop and Corckscrews. However, some rides can be much smoother than others. Something to do with different trains maybe?

A

Anonymous

Bugger, I'm going Thorpe Park end of the month (first time there, can you believe it?). I'm only 5'6'' and I headbang on Shockwave all the time, hate it, so from the sounds of it Collossus is gonna be the same. :(

Fires of Fury

Roller Poster
I’m 5’5”, and I tend to experience headbanging on Colossus if I’m sat on the back two rows after the cobra roll- Besides that, I find it really enjoyable!

Peet

Giga Poster
Welcome to Coasterforce, and good work posting exactly 9 years to the day after the previous post in this topic!
As for Colossus, it can be a bit bumpy but I've never found it to be exceptionally bad.

I'm 5'7" and have ridden Colossus on the front and back row this season. The front is still fantastic, but the further back you go the head banging gets worse. The back row is nearly unbearable and I would rather not ride at all, than ride on the back row.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Fun fact: Colossus is more than twice as old today as it was when this thread was created. In other words, more time has passed between post #65 and #66 than between the coaster's opening day and the thread's opening post. Judging by the subject matter and number of responses, it seems like Colossus did not age well over its first seven years of operation. How has it become over the additional nine years since then?

Fun fact: Colossus is more than twice as old today as it was when this thread was created. In other words, more time has passed between post #65 and #66 than between the coaster's opening day and the thread's opening post. Judging by the subject matter and number of responses, it seems like Colossus did not age well over its first seven years of operation. How has it become over the additional nine years since then?

Thorpe Park is my local park and I usually visit once a month during operating season, have done since around 2008. Colossus has almost always had a slight headbanging issue, but it has become increasingly unbearable in the latter years. It might just be due to my height, but riding the back row this season was easily the worst ride I have ever had on Colossus. It was like being in a boxing match with the OTSR. I think it could become a great ride again if they just changed the restraints, despite the noticeable rattle. Alternatively, i'd be very happy to see the whole thing ripped out and replaced with one of the new Intamin "10 looping" models.

Will

Strata Poster
Interestingly, we have more than one thread on this - in 2005, I stated that it wasn't normally rough, whereas now the viciousness of the ride is one of the main things that puts me off riding it, especially towards the back of the train. It always had a kick to it, but it's certainly got worse, which is probably down to maintenance and upkeep, or rather the lack thereof.

Fires of Fury

Roller Poster
I go to Thorpe Park quite often, and ride Colossus more frequently than any of the other rollercoasters in the park. I find that the headbanging isn't as bad as it has been, and only really occurs if you are sat in the very back rows, which can be controlled if you try to keep your head out of the way of the restraints. Besides this, I still find Colossus to have a very enjoyable riding experience, and continues to be my favourite in the park.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Colossus is my number 1 nostalgia coaster. Yes it's painful but I'll always go back to it like a victim of domestic abuse.

It was incredible when it first opened and even now on the front row it's brilliant. The restraint design though is clearly awful.

Matt N

CF Legend
Apparently Colossus has been riding very smoothly ever since it reopened... is this true, out of interest?