What's new

Colossus Headbang

Ollie

CF Legend
That's the thing on this site (or any other enthusiast website). They seem to think if a coaster isn't 'excellent' then it's terrible. And people always overate how rough or bad rides are as well.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
Neal said:
Yeah, I find you have to plan your entry to avoid cramp and such :lol:

First time I rode it I got cramp entering the vert. loop and it didn't go away until I had hobbled to the exit shop, very painful! Still went back on again though :lol:

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
That's the thing on this site (or any other enthusiast website). They seem to think if a coaster isn't 'excellent' then it's terrible. And people always overate how rough or bad rides are as well.

I don't over exaggerate from the headaches I've recieved from Colossus...

Just love the way Ollie you've managed to split everyone half and half when it's impossible to do... A terrible ride (NWO) is generally (and randomly ;)) adored by enthusiasts because it's terrible...

Hence your arguement makes no sense in regards to truly 'terrible' coasters...

And of course, one man's terrible coaster is another's holy grail for want of a better term... Look at how some people react with Nemesis for example :lol:

Colossus was fine the first season, but went downhill as soon as the restraints changed to the bulkier ones we have now... Making it incredibly difficult to get into the back rows, causing pain for those with long legs and broad shoulders, and then suffering from Intamin rattle...

Colossus just doesn't do it for me... There's good rough and there's bad rough, Colossus has bad rough... And it worried me a lot last year when I had a smoother ride on Corkscrew at Alton than Colossus...

Lucy

Hyper Poster
Personally I've never had a headache after going on Colossus or any coaster but I guess we all react differently :)

marc

CF Legend
Makes me laugh a bit though as people moan and complain about this, yet dont find Space Mountain rough at DLP. Space Mountain is about 100 times worse.

But yes I even I have a problem getting in and out of the coaster on the back rows.

Colossus has a reputaion and I think some people just play up to this.

The last time I rode Colossus I had my phone in my pocket and for some reason the restraint did not go down as far as normal, both Mark and I were shocked tbh that it dispatched. It was the best ride I have ever had on there, for the 1st time I was not pinned but was just a bit strange near the end as I thought I was going to fall out.

Beans

Hyper Poster
5ft 3ins

I don't get any headbanging anymore but have learned how to ride it, arms up all the way round and relax, I think because people expect it to be rough they tense up so making it not such a good experience. We were told be one of the managers who was hosting one afternoon, to relax and let you body/head follow the track, and since following said advice the whole Collossus experience is so much better and now I look forward to riding.

Front row is still the best but being shorter I also love back row, (A-Kid cannot do even number rows has to front of each pair because his legs are too long so has to do 13,11,9,7,5,3,1)

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Just shy of 6', and I get the obligatory little bit of headbanging, but nothing much more than other roughish coasters. There are very few out there that are completely headbang-free, I generally accept a bit. Colossus is the same, its got a bit, but its enough to tolerate.

The thing that is a pain on Colossus is the space to get in. I've got long-ish legs, and broad shoulders, and just cramming myself into the back row can be a challenge!

A

Anonymous

Don't remember any headbang on Colossus. But Space mountain at DLP...major brain haemorrhage shaking! Followed by Kumba at Busch Tampa. But I still queue to go on ;-)

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
DanzibarDrums said:
I've riddin it three times so far this year and have found the further back I've sat, the rougher it's felt! It's nothing bad enough to stop me riding though, I don't really mind how rough a ride is, it all adds to the character!

You complain that Vekoma is crap because they're rough...?

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
dj-fireball999 said:
DanzibarDrums said:
I've riddin it three times so far this year and have found the further back I've sat, the rougher it's felt! It's nothing bad enough to stop me riding though, I don't really mind how rough a ride is, it all adds to the character!

You complain that Vekoma is crap because they're rough...?

It's not the roughness of Vekoma's that I don't like, it's the roughness on top of the fact that the coaster itself is usually quite dull. I don't disslike Vekoma, I think their 'launch' coasters are quite good along with their family coasters. Colossus is a good coaster so is allowed the roughness. Likewise The Ultimate was the roughest thing in the world, but I still enjoyed it because the concept/design itself was interesting. This thread is about Colossus though and the Vekoma arguments never seem to go anywhere so moving on.. :lol:

AmandaPanda

Mega Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
Ollie said:
causing pain for those with long legs and broad shoulders, and then suffering from Intamin rattle...

My brother does, and if he is saying he doesn't find it rough, then something wrong.

When I ride it, I think it's pretty average for a coaster persoanlly, ride Goudurix you'll think it's smooth! The headbanging is hurty but controllable, just push your head forward and to the side slightly, not at the back like they say, trust.