What's new

Colossus Headbang

A-Kid

Giga Poster
5' 10". No Headbangs at all. The ride is fully smooth on the front and row 13 (back car, front), just vibrates a lot, like many Intamins. Actually, all the Intamins I have done have the same vibrations...

There is a way to ride it. Arms fully up, locked to the restraints avoid the movement of your head. Simple.

Just avoid the middle, back rows if you want a better ride.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Taken what A-Kid said then, out of all 14 rows, only two rows actually give a smooth (ish) ride...

ANY ride that forces you to sit in a particular row to get anything decent out of it is rubbish, especially here when one row is the very front, where you have to queue even longer...

It's more of a train flaw than anything... Since when it first opened the cars and restraints were excellent giving a very good ride, however they were changed for 2003 and since then it's gone downhill...

Here's a pic of the original restraints with the random metal bar addition late 2002...
colomod.jpg

Look at the size... They're so small and thin and nice... :(

marc

CF Legend
That applies to most coasters then as I can think of a good hundred that the ride is better in certain seats, even some of the best coasters in the world!

AeRo

Hyper Poster
5'6" and headbanging.

I have tried the sticking the head forward and allsorts, but the best solution is simply not to ride it. Also I have no idea how taller people cope with it, I can hardly fit in the seats. To me it is simply a poorly designed POS.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
southend_marc said:
That applies to most coasters then as I can think of a good hundred that the ride is better in certain seats, even some of the best coasters in the world!

True, but some of them are good regardless of what seat you sit in, this is a poor coaster with only two good rows according to A-Kid...
Who I would agree with considering the amount he goes to Thorpe ;)

marc

CF Legend
Everyone likes different things though.

I actually like the back row as, and as with most coasters I never sit it the middle if I can help it. Even EGF in the middle was an average coaster.

As I said with most coasters its front or back. For me I like the back as its the only place I get any force on modern coasters. Scorpian at BGA is good in any seat.

RnR is a good example, front row is really good anywhere else is totally average.

Nick

Mega Poster
I don't get too much headbang from any coaster, I'm just under 6ft but I'm all legs so still sit quite low under the restraints. I'm a great believer of the stick your head forward technique, however this can give you a sore neck.

The main problem I have with colossus is cramp in my legs (which then you can't get rid of as you can't move your legs even slightly) . I have had it on the last couple of times I've ridden. The trains have way too little leg room for me. Does anyone else have this problem?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
6' tall and a little headbanging, but nothing worth complaining about. I find the pain in my shoulders worse on the inlines - though that's better since becoming over three stone lighter :)

Head forwards like a chicken preparing itself for soup helps, but takes the fun from the ride (what little there is).

Jools

Giga Poster
Okay, so my theory is still only a theory and haasn't really came to a conclusion, but I tend to find I only hear people complaining about head bang on fan sites, maybe it's picky people who can't take a little pain :p :p
Infact I asked people at school, for some reason people always talk about theme parks and stuff with me... hmmm, I wonder why :p and most people think Colossus is the best ride in the park, "wierdly" noone says Stealth, still fun though.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
People are pretty simple to understand to be honest.

They want "value". For that, they want length and lots of stuff. They want to feel satisfied.

Colossus gives that because it's quite a long ride and OMG IT HAS TEN LOOPDELOOPZ!!!!

Stealth is a buzz. It's bam, woosh, end. So people love that short buzz, but they feel like it's just not been worth the long wait.

Okay, some people are more discerning, but not many.

Also... The reason only enthusiasts tend to complain is down to the pleasure/pain factor.

If we are a member of the public, we may do one or two parks a year. Maybe ride a dozen times over a handful of coasters. The pleasure you get is more intense because it's something you don't do often. So you tend to forgive the pain, as you're doing something special.

Also... If you don't ride often, there's a chance:

a) You don't really understand it's pain making you dislike the ride. You just come off thinking "I didn't really like that". Enthusiasts often forget the confusion adrenaline causes and how it makes you forget things (and seems to speed time up).

b)You forget you hated it last time because it was more than a year since you last rode it. You don't remember the 20 seconds of ride, but you do remember the exciting build up in the queue and the positive day you had which makes you think you did enjoy the ride.

It's all simple psychology :p

A

Anonymous

I last rode Colossus on the 21st March 2009!
It was such a smooth ride, really comfortable, was sat towards the back! Bout 4/5 rows from the back, and I have no complaints at all about the ride.
Really nice pleasant ride. I have only had one bad ride on the coaster.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
I've riddin it three times so far this year and have found the further back I've sat, the rougher it's felt! It's nothing bad enough to stop me riding though, I don't really mind how rough a ride is, it all adds to the character!

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
6' 3 and only neck banging, which I can tolerate. Therefore, I have no cauliflowered ears :D

Plus, the only part I find comes under the definition of 'OWWWW!' is the entry/exit of the cobra. The rest is just a little jittery.

Dave

CF Legend
To me Colossus is the best ride there, I really like it. Better than Inferno any day, because Inferno is just too smooth.

Im 5ft 11" and it dosen't really bother me, not any headbanging or anything. Only thing I do find annoying is the trains are badly designed, its very awkward getting in and out of it, and someone with long legs its bloody annoying as you can't fit well into it.

Ollie

CF Legend
There isn't much legroom on it. It doesn't bother me too much. More the heavy restraints that stops you from moving your legs at all.
And I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes Colossus better than Inferno. :)