What's new

Coasters That Have Made Random Jumps in Your Rankings

BBH

Giga Poster
The horridly long title explains this topic pretty well. Which coasters have you given a second chance and have, out of nowhere, delivered immensely? (Yay adverbs)

For me it's undoubtedly Whizzer at SFGAm. A ride I almost fell asleep on the first time I rode it, I gave it a second go after two years and I was absolutely blown away by just how fun it is. It went from near the bottom to #11 in my rankings. Had I not ridden Goliath on Tuesday, it would've been in my top ten.

On the flip side, I haven't had any real big drops, but X- Flight has been a pretty big disappointment in 2014. Rattling </3

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
If different clones count, then Batman at SFSTl. I am so used to the Great America version, so the mirrored layout had just a little more "kick" to it.

Also American Eagle at SFGAm just blew me away. The first time riding it was "meh". The drop was intense, but after that it was just "eh". But that was before I was an enthusiast. Now it just seems awesome. It does need some retracking in places, but this thing has airtime, speed, and it is just sweet.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
For me, Prowler at WoF. First couple times I rode it, I wasn't an enthusiast, and judged roller coasters by how tall they were, and how many loops they had.... Actually at one point, I thought the freaking Boomerang was better then Prowler! Lol I was like 11 then.. I rode it about 6 times in one visit and realized how great it is.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Definitely silver star - in about 2007, it was ok, rode in in 2012 and it was just delightful!

And dropping - Big loop at heide park - first ride on the denmark/germany live it wasn't as bad as I'd expected, earlier this year it was shocking!

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I haven't really had any big jumps but I have some pretty big drops. I know I get a lot of crap for this but Skyrush really dropped badly. I rode it opening year and I loved it. Went straight to number 3 I believe. A couple years later I rode it and I was genuinely scared on it. You can call me whatever you want but I was afraid I was going to fall out because of the insane airtime. I love airtime but I just found it overkill. It wasn't as fun as I remember it because I was so terrified I was going to fall out. That ride really hurt Skyrush for me and now its somewhere deep down in the depths of my coaster count. Other than that I have never really had a coaster drop that far down or go that high up after going back on it.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. First time I rode it, I didn't like it because of the unexpected roughness. Second time I rode it, I was expecting the roughness and I actually loved it. At the time I think it went into my top 3 coasters.

Euro Mir. I have been riding this coaster from about the age of 8 when my family used to do regular trips to Europa Park, which means it has sentimental value for me. After about 4 years away from it in 2011, I still loved it. Sadly the next year, I rode it I found it difficult to look beyond the roughness, so my love for it had diminished, therefore it dropped down my rankings.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Now that I think of it colossus at Thorpe Park rode 2 months ago and thought it was a rough monstrosity riding it again 2 months later it was beautiful and didn't give much pain. It was 17th but now it's smoother I put it in my top 5.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Honestly? Not really.

I usually lock in a ride, and have it deviate one or two spots from its location. If anything offsets the position, it is the addition of a new ride.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Big Dipper at Blackpool, Expedition GE Force, Black Hole at Alton Towers and Turbo at Brighton. Not huge jumps, but more random than was safe ;)

CanobieFanatic

Roller Poster
Yankee Cannonball hopped to no. 5 on my list after an amazing ride with a loosened seat belt.

On the contrary, I realized Nitro was meh and it dropped down to number 10.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Random? No, all jumps in my ranking have been based on a re-ride or just thinking that I actually liked this more than that. However the most significant jump was probably Outlaw Run from 4 to 1. I had about 10 rides on it during my visit and I just found it amazing. I recently went to Universal after not having gone since 2010. Mummy shot up in rankings. Hulk stayed about the same. HRRR and the Dragons shot down.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Nemesis shot up just over two years ago when I discovered the beauty of the back row. Colossus shot way up when I realised that riding in the front of a car gives a smoother ride. Silver Star jumped when I rode it two years because the trims were off. There's probably a load of others because I always rank my coasters on my most recent rides, so extra trimming or poor retracking of woodies for one year can have a big affect on how I rank them.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Grand National has gone from somewhere low all the way up to 5th because I had some fantastic rides on it on Wednesday. The corners were not dead spots this time because they were taken so fast that they produced significant lateral G.