What's new

CF Music Swap

jayjay

Giga Poster
OK, shall close entries for this tonight and start chasing up playlists. People I have down so far:

jayjay
HeartlineCoaster
Mysterious Sue
caffeine_demon
Thekingin64
Gavin
Pink Cadillac
TilenB
ATTACK HAMMER

Don't forget: always looking out for theme ideas.

Last edited:

TilenB

Strata Poster
Oh, damn, why did I miss this one? My playlist sounds like United Nations when it comes to the artists' birthplaces.
Any chance I can still join, @jayjay?

jayjay

Giga Poster
OK then. Closing entries for this round. I'll send a nudge to anybody that hasn't given me music (that includes myself, because I've been lazy) and dole people's lists out soon.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Everybody should have received their list of songs now. For anybody who wants a go at guessing their match, I've reset the "duplicate matches" rule, so you could have music from somebody you've had before.

Let's send me those reviews!

jayjay

Giga Poster
Just a couple more sets of reviews to come through and then I'll post everyone's lists. Some good stuff through this round!

jayjay

Giga Poster
Apologies for the prolonged silence. Life's been getting in the way, but I'll add the reviews I've got (all but one) tonight.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Yeah sorry that's my fault - have basically spent the last week and a half on a plane. Will try and get my review across today to add in.

jayjay

Giga Poster
It's very late right now, so I'm posting the text, and I'll edit the Youtube links in tomorrow.

Tilen B on jayjay

Norway: Susanne Sundfør - Undercover
Oh, I really liked this. Well, at first I didn't, but then I realized I had the speed set at 2x, but when I set it back to normal, it was really nice. Such a relaxed and dreamy song.

Germany: Alligatoah - Willst du?
Well, this was interesting to say the least. I do wonder what the lyrics are all about? Judging by the video it's about all the different drug/alcohol cocktails to kill oneself. Oh, German music, gotta love it. :p

Japan: Yellow Magic Orchestra - Computer Game
Oh, that I didn't like. Felt quite a bit iritating and I honestly struggled to get through it. It felt like that one random art performance video at a modern art gallery that they just show on repeat. Needless to say my mum entered my room while I was listening to this and just silently turned away and left. Then she annoyed me why I don't have a girlfriend yet, but I don't think that's connected to this.

France: MAI LAN - Technique
Okay, what the hell was this? I take my previous comment back, since this felt like an actual modern art performance. I would love to see something like this on Eurovision, even just for the sheer randomness of it. France, please

UK ft. Israel: Steven Wilson ft. Ninet Tayeb - Pariah
Finished off (sort of) where we started, huh? I think the song was fine, not exactly what I'd put on my playlist, but enjoyable nevertheless. I really liked the video, though. :)

Gavin on TilenB

Sweden: AronChupa ft. Little Sis Nora - Little Swing
I kind of like this. Kind of. Not keen on the instrumentation (or lack of) really. I would prefer it with more traditional "swing" instruments, but I'm aware that the whole digital thing is kind of the point.

Italy: Raphael Gualazzi - Lotta Things
Yep, liked this one. A little repetitive, but not necessarily a bad thing here. Reminded of "Swamp Thing" for some reason, if anyone remembers that. I could kind of see this vocal going over the top of that actually.

France: Woodkid - Run Boy Run
Hmmmm, not sure on this one. I really like the instrumentation, but can't stand his voice at all. Another singer, and I'd probably love this. Unfair maybe, but there it is.

Bosnia: Dubioza Kolektiv - Volio BiH
Nope. Dated, but doesn't seem like that's been done deliberately as some kind of retro sound. Just a bit naff overall, but not in a fab way.

Serbia: S.A.R.S - Buđav Lebac
Not keen on this one either, but preferred it to the one above.

Caffeine Demon on Mysterious Sue

USA: Petrojvic Blasting Company - Feeling Drowsy
Quite pleasant - might listen again later..

Russia: Russkaya - Energia
Take 1 part German, 4 parts Russian, and add about 20 parts pure crap...

Croatia: Nina Kraljic - Lighthouse
These slightly whacky female vocalists can be hit or miss with me - find this one a bit more miss TBH - doesn't seem to go anywhere!

Iceland: Jónsi - Go Do
makes even bjork sound sane..

Sweden: Mando Diao - Shake
oh good lord, this is almost as bad as Aqua's Barbie girl!

ATTACKHAMMER on Caffeine Demon

Cuba: Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan
Meh, rather dull

Canada: Barenaked Ladies - One Week
Too annoying to listen to

Croatia: 2 Cellos - Thunderstruck
Nice cover

South Africa: Paul Smith/Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Homeless
Not my thing

Australia: INXS - Never Tear Us Apart
Classic. A song that I really like!

Thekingin64 on Pink Cadillac

Nigeria: D'Banj - Oliver Twist
Promising until the auto-tuned voice came in. Song then quickly turned into a generic club-style tune so not my style at all. Catchy main beat though. (3/10)

South Korea: Red Velvet - Ice Cream Cake
Again, just a typical pop song with auto-tuned voices. Doesn't appeal to me but again had a catchy chorus (4/10)

Jamaica: Vybz Kartel - Lip Gloss (Cover Girl)
Nothing appeals to me here at all. Most of song is same 2 lines repeated over and over. (0/10)

Iceland: Björk - Pagan Poetry
Thankfully no autotune going on here but still nothing amazing. Not a great song lyrically, the "I love him" line reminds me of Kate Bush though. (4/10)

Japan: Tricot - Pool
Best of the bunch. Still don't particularly like the singer but the instrumental side of things is quite good. (6/10)

Overall: Not a great selection, obviously picker is much fonder of generic pop music then I am. As a stab in the dark, guess picker might be Gavin? Seems to be his style of music (from what I've seen before in this topic)

Pink Cadillac on HeartlineCoaster

South Korea: Highlight - Plz Don't Be Sad
Ok Korean music videos are the absolute best. They always deliver! Loved this song and its production. Favourite bit was the was the second part of the verses (0:37) where the pace steps up. Great stuff.

Japan: PASSPO☆ - Playground
Right in time for halloween! I've encountered quite a few of these 'sugary baby pop over hard rock' girl groups in Japan now. Is this a thing? Must have got the zombie juice from ryanair. It was cute.

China: LuHan - Catch Me When I Fall
Don't think I've listened to C-pop before is this is a first. Sounds a lot more western than typical k&j-pop. Very nice visuals in the music video. Not sure what else to say about the song.

Ukraine: Make Me Famous - She Hunted Me
I really liked this. Loved dreamy vocals, (especially during the chorus) and how they glided over the chaotic, more abrasive production.

Polnad: Mr Polska - Move Up
I'm glad tropical house has gotten popular. The production here was nice. A fair bit going on but remaining quite airy. The breakdown was great too. I was shocked at the end when I saw the Lost Gravity logo - I hadn't made the connection when I saw the title!

Ranked:
1. Highlight
2. Make Me Famous
3. Mr Polska
4. PASSPO☆
5. LuHan

I'm guessing it was @HeartlineCoaster? It was a nice selection of songs actually. Thank you.

HeartlineCoaster on Gavin

Desireless - Voyage Voyage
I liked this. Better half of that 80s foreboding synth put to good use. French didn't sound too cliché.
I also own one of those inflatable globes.
Would have worked in the previous round too. Bonus point.

Mory Kante - Yeke Yeke
Fun bit of music. Can't help but enjoy yourself along with them.
Fairly sure this was what was approaching us in Asterix as we veered away into a pizza restaurant.

Im Nin'Alu - Ofra Haza
Ah. These first three are hard to say much about. They're all quite interesting in their own right. I like this round.

Deep Forest - Marta's Song
If you looked in my glove compartment you'd still find a couple of dusty CD-Rs of Deep Forest. It's been at least 10 years.
Didn't recognise the song by name, thought I was going to hear something new, but this one is deeply ingrained in me from childhood.
My Dad used to play them a lot in the car. No idea how he got into them. We would affectionately name the songs ourselves according to any hook words we thought we could pick out as English sounding.
Never imagined there would be music videos to go along with this stuff. Still good, mainly on a nostalgia level.

Chocolate Disco - Perfume
Now we're in my territory. I like a couple of Perfume songs, but they're a bit too... safe?/plain within J-Pop for me to be a huge fan.
Not sure how to describe it, but this particular stuff feels like it's made for the amusement factor of the international market rather than to be good in it's own domain.
They've been going a loooooooong time and never really made anything that wows me. I respect their commitment to the industry.
By default the best in the list though.

Expected bad things from this round for some reason, so I'm pleasantly surprised. Solid list overall. Good at the time. Nothing I disliked. Nothing I'd go back for.
Maybe another 10 years.

Are we still doing the person guessing thing? (Probably spoilered my own).
Started out very similar to the last lot I got given and once again had a very big artist from my growing up days so... @caffeine_demon

jayjay on ATTACKHAMMER

USA: Metallica - Dream No More

Not really ever ventured into Metallica. I like this at first, with the grand statements of the opening guitar line, the irregular rhythms and colour in James Hetfield's voice. Then it all gets a bit samey dragged over six minutes. Lyrics seem to be standard darkness noodling

Sweden: Ghost - Year Zero
Liking the atmospheric production and rollicking bassline. It does sound like welcoming the dawn of a new age of the occult. As for the music itself, I think I prefer the verses, with lots of syncopation and dissonance. The chorus just hammers on the snare and does normal things. Blimey, this video got weird at the end. I swear one of the witches looks like Lucy Davis. Little boy, please stop staring at me.

UK: Pink Floyd - One of These Days
Oh hey, it's one of my favourite Pink Floyd tracks. More of those relentless guitar rhythms. I love tracks that build and build. Most of the track is so tightly controlled, that when the guitars fly off the handle at the end, it feels electric!

Norway: Kvelertak - Kvelertak
I like foreign language music, because I don't have to pretend to care about lyrics. Can't say it's doing much for me though. Decent enough main hook, but there's not enough going on for me. Even getting to the guitar solo, I dunno. I'm not a fan of solos for the sake of solos - in One of These Days, it works in the general sense of impending doom. This feels like they ran out of song after two minutes and had to fill it up with something.

Germany: Tankard - Die With a Beer in Your Hand
Like the title already! Lots of excitement in the first couple of minutes - defintely a tune I could ride into battle with and I can imagine this is banging live. They've packed it full of hooks, too! If I was more a fan of metal-style vocals I'd love this more, but a light seven for me. Good work!

Last edited:

mouse

Giga Poster
Ooh I forgot about this topic, shall we try another round? I'm happy to run a round if people want to PM me their five songs to be distributed :) .