What's new

Chimelong Ocean Kingdom PTR

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I’ve done a couple of reports from this place before, but there’s a bit of new stuff, so I’ll chuck it in.

We got the ferry over from Hong Kong to Zhuhai, and a bus from the ferry port to the park. Door to door, it takes around 3 hours. It would probably be a bit quicker to go via Macau (the Zhuhai ferry terminal is pretty far from the park whereas you could kind of “cut through” Macau), but it involves the extra faff of more transfers and more international border crossings since you’d have to leave Hong Kong, enter Macau, leave Macau and enter China. The one-ferry, one-bus, one-border option is just less hassle.

We’d booked a two-day, one-night package. Realistically, the park is easily doable in a day, but I wanted to stick around for the nighttime stuff and getting back to Hong Kong after that would be a faff. We just stayed at the Penguin Hotel since it’s right at the park entrance, though there was an offer for the better hotel at the same price.

WnmfLxW.jpg

hOIl1ot.jpg

wzLa2EL.jpg

The LED roof thing had Christmas s**t on it, mixed in with the older, much better “sea” videos.

G6tKO20.jpg

These were new since my last visit, but skipped them until later. They’re the same thing as those parachute towers at Disney’s Toy Story Land.

hKXQFlp.jpg

Parrot Coaster is still by far my favourite Wingrider. I was worried that after getting a few more done, I’d enjoy this less, but that wasn’t the case. The first drop alone makes it better than most.

tYGkHdf.jpg

ckJyoKy.jpg

vunFyS2.jpg

mFpf7gM.jpg

UkSmXIn.jpg

LAhHnN0.jpg

6g1Vbta.jpg

bOGEzmp.jpg

KFwHWRs.jpg

jpymSM7.jpg

JPoLH5y.jpg

In the manatee exhibit, the manatees were being slightly elusive on this first morning, but they were all out near the windows/tunnel the next. This whole aquarium is amazing, with huge South American fish in various tanks, and an enormous main tank which the manatees share with loads of fish.

WS1CnMa.jpg

99PgR1q.jpg

yMLkuVb.jpg

LorIlSV.jpg

jngx5dw.jpg

K0maj9o.jpg

The whale out front is looking very faded these days, but the aquarium is still amazing. The main tank is just ridiculous. Apparently, there are 8 whale sharks in there, but I’ve only ever managed to count six.

yAT35GL.jpg

J3COGpk.jpg

QAyKZz6.jpg

30cFRuo.jpg

HhZlHNX.jpg

lmxmMla.jpg

X20hlAR.jpg

EVw6gMs.jpg

MN0BWAY.jpg

wD5S0Oy.jpg

VhxavfI.jpg

p6jOi0x.jpg

YD8APH9.jpg

2FVFmXz.jpg

fUgoc0n.jpg

9u6RzWo.jpg

Jt5XKgZ.jpg

MK3xEz5.jpg

I’m not a fan of whales in captivity, but it is what it is. This exhibit is attached to a huge theatre and they’ve got 8 of these which perform.

kSNSFX8.jpg

xF7jBoL.jpg

QUqD25v.jpg

zaMuLDO.jpg

After this visit, I’m probably not riding this again. It’s just too ridiculously wet. It’s very good though.

J3ZIVlw.jpg

YDSQ1hA.jpg

4mtkKWl.jpg

The attached exhibit has polar bears, arctic foxes and arctic wolves.

2TOlemS.jpg

Bnytix1.jpg

S1i7NQ7.jpg

TLYtU8K.jpg

DfDSgJx.jpg

DQymTXM.jpg

5YRZ1Zf.jpg

Bk2y9N4.jpg

Penguin Coaster is one of two new coasters this year. It had a really long queue though, so we skipped it on this day and got it later. Considering it’s a tiny kiddy thing, there’s some effort gone into it with smoke machines on both the lifthill and final turn.

hdcLZpU.jpg

lxkDmKA.jpg

7TZaZ0n.jpg

69Y0CMy.jpg

c9giYlL.jpg

lMsxDpz.jpg

Had a walk through another animal area to get to the other new coaster.

RUWSK6W.jpg

mAZz4N1.jpg

K7OGi5e.jpg

SPITE!

7bE9UmF.jpg

Zmpb6R0.jpg

This thing has opened apparently – RCDB has pictures of people riding it – but the area is all closed off at the moment. Very annoying as I was expecting a +2 on this visit and I’m definitely not making the effort to come back just for this.

HDhxMsh.jpg

qTbcWOJ.jpg

1GbSbKe.jpg

Walrus Splash, which goes through a sealion pool, is fab. I like these things generally, but the whole theming, animals and general area elevate this one. It’s nowhere near as wet as Polar Explorer either.

MRNCmQQ.jpg

sweOWyw.jpg

1tt4jmT.jpg

7lts017.jpg

do6EacZ.jpg

dpsAUga.jpg

R6ycIVS.jpg

There’s a huge group of walruses around the bottom of it as well.

q47rPiJ.jpg

PJHSRxk.jpg

rV42zxa.jpg

fiMHw4e.jpg

Ly9KGax.jpg

PjFwgZ9.jpg

qyjdNcA.jpg

The 5D theatre here is pretty epic and definitely worth doing. The screen is huge, the film is a decent length and the seat movement is pretty flawless.

EZG5ZXO.jpg

Chinese white/pink dolphins. We have these around Hong Kong (the local population is pink rather than white), but I’ve still never seen one.

ILm2CnD.jpg

sM42ER7.jpg

A57Z5dw.jpg

11p9cfb.jpg

nWuHNSu.jpg

Night shots then. We did the taller of the two tower things, and it’s ok for the views if nothing else.

cGpKalg.jpg

UppceL3.jpg

8qAYJQU.jpg

They had a really crappy night time parade last time I was here, just few performers with cheap, light-up costumes, but they’ve massively enhanced it now.

EHEhX6u.jpg

7iL0lQf.jpg

A084i9O.jpg

dFOzx7o.jpg

4MB88Py.jpg

QqMO3cB.jpg

uNfqURM.jpg

9QbJYRb.jpg

0YhGS6a.jpg

PC6XHg2.jpg

Hw0JYRD.jpg

FjrysID.jpg

Oen7HQd.jpg

aAJLoQN.jpg

TrdE7R9.jpg

XCfPpew.jpg

Both water coasters look even better at night.

R8c64NT.jpg

gSz2cyg.jpg

ooquPaE.jpg

BQJwsRJ.jpg

This was also new since my last visit. Anyone know who makes this? I’ve never seen one before, but it’s a “teacups” style ride with separate discs which rise out of the main floor and rotate in the opposite direction. Everything across the Chimelong parks, as far as I can think of at the moment, come from Western manufacturers, so I’m guessing this does, too.

qxiQk4r.jpg

p2EIQpM.jpg

xd27VHe.jpg

The weird thing about it is how it’s themed. It’s in the “polar” area, has penguin/polar bear themed cars, but a building that screams “viking/How to Train Your Dragon. I don’t get it at all.

Ht5WfyH.jpg

36aXnYr.jpg

gYG6G24.jpg

There was also a new show on the lake since my last visit. They’d had one before, which was already excellent, but this one was on another level. My pictures turned out crap unfortunately.

Svn2BlR.jpg

GPbKcXN.jpg

HRhzPwF.jpg

9OF3y5v.jpg

VfX761M.jpg

NatZrwO.jpg

qr3eAqk.jpg

HPXsvQT.jpg

fuzUbMO.jpg

o24nUJD.jpg

I just found this on YouTube, but it seems that it’s been added to since this was filmed, especially with the drones. Now the drones make an appearance earlier, creating a red dragon that flies around the lake.

[youtube]

Trying to get out after the show was a bit of a mission.

rsW0Jcy.jpg

It had been really busy all day, but a lot of people had left before the final show. Apart from a 15-minute wait for Parrot Coaster (only on one train unfortunately, but run well considering), the rides were mostly walk-on. The animals and shows are the draw here, so the rides, especially the big ones, don’t get a huge amount of attention.

We didn’t really need the second day, but just popped back in in the morning for a bit, redoing a bit of stuff and getting Penguin Coaster done.

Vy32I5M.jpg

yQSqQgh.jpg

Construction of the new “park” – not really sure how it’s going to work in terms of entrance/tickets doesn’t seem to be anywhere near finished. It seems that there’s another hotel (this will be the fourth) also attached to it.

bF4oH3L.jpg

gEPe8AV.jpg

I’m surprised that they seem so far behind given that this is where their killer whales are going. They were the first park to get them, and have nine hidden away at the moment, but a couple of other places, including the new Polar Ocean World in Shanghai, now also have them. Polar Ocean World have their facility ready, so they could probably get the “first” orcas in China even though, technically, Chimelong were way ahead of them.

Bagged my only +1 of the weekend. For such a tiny thing it was actually alright. The Donald Trump penguin is ridiculous though.

8JMxMX7.jpg

Cqs7I5w.jpg

6Lm20hm.jpg

gexmLIc.jpg

PkST2q7.jpg

I don’t think I’ve bothered with Spirit of the Ocean before. Meh. It gives a good view of Walrus Mountain at least.

MTQiZyj.jpg

ROKP10H.jpg

Noticed this in the station when going for a reride on Parrot Coaster. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a park display something like this before, but I thought it was interesting that B&M, or the park I guess, have put a shelf-life on their rides, in this case 15 years.

eEtML9M.jpg

The park is done, but I’ll throw some more stuff in of the general resort. We went back to Penguin Hotel for lunch since it was in the package. They have a real penguin exhibit in the restaurant.

9ousvKS.jpg

5mp84Fx.jpg

K2MRcfY.jpg

2O26ELI.jpg

Or if the real thing isn’t good enough, there’s an animatronic penguin singing group to keep you entertained.

8qH2RvG.jpg

fskYOnj.jpg

xgQa14V.jpg

0m3rX85.jpg

We had time to kill before our bus/ferry, so had a wander down to the other hotels for a look around. It seems that they’re building a HUGE new circus. They already have one, but I guess it’s not doing the job if they’re building a much, much bigger one already.

5Ru2z1c.jpg

FrS7MSv.jpg

The older hotel here, and the most expensive, is just ridiculous. I stayed here before when it was the only hotel, and it’s possible with various promotions to get it at the same price as Penguin Hotel, but it’s further away from the park. They have a huge pool (closed in the winter) and indoor water park though, so if you’re making use of those, it’s the better option.

The lobby is amazing. Just so over-the-top.

UONDmKa.jpg

pnhtkkf.jpg

vgpkT60.jpg

KfPHrEy.jpg

The swimming pool has an animal exhibit attached, with a glass window separating them, so you can “swim” with the animals. When I stayed at the hotel, it had turtles in it, but was called “Dolphin Pool”. Now, they’ve actually got dolphins in it. Not a fan.

zpUVBTp.jpg

rxN02u2.jpg

ByEROR6.jpg

uZF2U2N.jpg

On the way back I had a quick nosey at Circus Hotel, the smallest and cheapest of the three.

JQsHqjn.jpg

YQ0I9U0.jpg

6facI5l.jpg

Then it was a bus and ferry back to Hong Kong.

As usual, I enjoyed this place, and it had been about two and a half years since I’d last been, but I think it will probably be that long again before I do another visit. I guess it depends on whatever new stuff comes either at the park or in the general area.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I really want to visit this place. It just looks great!

Parrot Coaster especially - heard nothing but good things about it. The night show looks pretty bonkers too!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I miss this place now. Still think it's the 'nicest' park to chill in China. Hoping for better than zierers at some point though, bad luck on the spite.
I spotted the b&m shelf life thing somewhere else. Think it was the family invert. Vaguely recall a woodie having train and track expiry dates as well. I imagine they all have to quote some sort of guideline to everyone, just prefer not to make it public knowledge.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
To echo what everyone said already, this park looks pretty nuts. I only have Sea World as a benchmark and this looks like it's well out of Sea World's league.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
To echo what everyone said already, this park looks pretty nuts. I only have Sea World as a benchmark and this looks like it's well out of Sea World's league.
The animal exhibits look variable, like they've got Antarctic penguins in with penguins from hot climates which is weird. That last dolphin pool looks overstocked as well as the jellyfish tank. Possibly the walrus pool too but I didn't see a whole photo of it. They certainly like to go all out! Not sure what to make of it.

The whole place looks ridiculous, interesting review, thanks.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The animal exhibits look variable, like they've got Antarctic penguins in with penguins from hot climates which is weird. That last dolphin pool looks overstocked as well as the jellyfish tank. Possibly the walrus pool too but I didn't see a whole photo of it. They certainly like to go all out! Not sure what to make of it.

The whole place looks ridiculous, interesting review, thanks.
If you mean the humbolt penguins with the emporer penguins, they haven't mixed them. Those are two separate enclosures, no doubt with different climates. They've made them look the same for the whole "polar" theme - I've seen humbolts the world over housed with fake ice rockwork - since that's what people probably expect.

Jellyfish have no brains and an extremely rudimentary nervous system. Plus, in the wild they often form massive, densely-packed swarms.

The walrus pool is huge. Those pictures make it look "overstocked" purely because they were being fed and gathering in one place.

The hotel dolphin pool is horrible though, yeah. I don't enjoy seeing them at the best of times, but it's especially a shame here when most of Chimelong's animal exhibits are really world class.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
If you mean the humbolt penguins with the emporer penguins, they haven't mixed them. Those are two separate enclosures, no doubt with different climates. They've made them look the same for the whole "polar" theme - I've seen humbolts the world over housed with fake ice rockwork - since that's what people probably expect.

Jellyfish have no brains and an extremely rudimentary nervous system. Plus, in the wild they often form massive, densely-packed swarms.

The walrus pool is huge. Those pictures make it look "overstocked" purely because they were being fed and gathering in one place.

The hotel dolphin pool is horrible though, yeah. I don't enjoy seeing them at the best of times, but it's especially a shame here when most of Chimelong's animal exhibits are really world class.
I am aware what jellyfish are yeah, thanks, but overstocking in a closed system (i.e. not the sea) could potentially cause problems whether or not they have brains. It might be ok, was just making a comment.
Yeah people 'expect' to see penguins in cold climates but it just perpetuates a myth. I was just saying like it's a bit lazy considering the money they have, how new the place is etc. I wonder if they have good educational signage, anyone know? Also if anyone knows whether they use saltwater or chlorine systems for their aquatics mammals of be interested to know.

Yeah, again, considering the amount of money they seem to have they could have done more with that dolphin pool for sure and there looks to be way too many in there. It looks like a converted swimming pool. I am not sure that they have as structured breeding programs (and free breeding trades) over there so it might be a case of get hold of as many as you can sort of situation.

Anyway, fair enough with your points, not easy to tell by some of the photos. Looks like an interesting place.

Last edited:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
There is signage around, yeah, but I didn't pay it a lot of attention. It seems to be on par with what you'd see elsewhere.

That pool was always supposed to have dolphins. I stayed at that hotel soon after it opened, and it was labeled on maps as "Dolphin Pool" back then, but at the time it had turtles in it. I'm guessing they were still waiting for the dolphins. It's "attached" to the hotel swimming pool, so you can see the dolphins through a glass wall while you're in the pool.

I couldn't tell you what water systems they use, but it was designed by PGAV Destinations, so I'd guess they follow what they usually do.

It's a new park, so everything was brought in. I don't know what they have planned in terms of breeding programs, but they have a lot in place at their safari park (self-contained rather than international/shared as far as I know), so I imagine they'd be following suit here.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
There is signage around, yeah, but I didn't pay it a lot of attention. It seems to be on par with what you'd see elsewhere.

That pool was always supposed to have dolphins. I stayed at that hotel soon after it opened, and it was labeled on maps as "Dolphin Pool" back then, but at the time it had turtles in it. I'm guessing they were still waiting for the dolphins. It's "attached" to the hotel swimming pool, so you can see the dolphins through a glass wall while you're in the pool.

I couldn't tell you what water systems they use, but it was designed by PGAV Destinations, so I'd guess they follow what they usually do.

It's a new park, so everything was brought in. I don't know what they have planned in terms of breeding programs, but they have a lot in place at their safari park (self-contained rather than international/shared as far as I know), so I imagine they'd be following suit here.
Will be interesting to see how things develop, thanks for the info.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Well, the big development is the orca breeding centre. They have 9 of them, but they're not on display yet. There's a huge new building under construction - probably a kind of second gate - which looks likely to have the orca stadium.

Their problem could be Shanghai Polar Ocean World, who have also got hold of some orcas (3 I think, or possibly 4). Even though Chimelong got them first, it's looking likely that Polar Ocean might display theirs first since their stadium is ready. They're in massively different parts of the country, but the "first" bragging rights would be pretty big.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Well, the big development is the orca breeding centre. They have 9 of them, but they're not on display yet. There's a huge new building under construction - probably a kind of second gate - which looks likely to have the orca stadium.

Their problem could be Shanghai Polar Ocean World, who have also got hold of some orcas (3 I think, or possibly 4). Even though Chimelong got them first, it's looking likely that Polar Ocean might display theirs first since their stadium is ready. They're in massively different parts of the country, but the "first" bragging rights would be pretty big.
Yeah, I can see we how they would want to be the first. 9 is a lot! On a side not I hope they try and breed those pink dolphins, pretty sure they're quite endangered and as China has already lost one dolphin species (Yangtze).

Are there more rides proposed with the second gate?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
With the dolphins, it seems that they have two adults and one juvenile (the younger ones are grey and the white/pink colour comes later), but no idea if it's a breeding pair and calf.

The details are quite unclear about the second gate at the moment, even if it is an actual second gate or an expansion. It's going to be called Chimelong Marine Science Museum, supposedly opening next year and with the orcas as the main draw. They're going to break their own record for "largest aquarium viewing window", so whatever they're doing, it's huge.