What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

Matt N

CF Legend
There's a foot of snow on the ground, temperatures are averaging around 5° F, and you can't go outside without being completely covered.

I'm sure they just started testing.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
Ah, right. Thanks @GuyWithAStick! I knew it was cold in America at the moment, but I didn't know it was that cold and snowing! I thought it was about 35 degrees Fahrenheit at the minute!

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
I could have swore either Tony or someone else said testing was going to start once the weather started to warm up. I'm also pretty sure I heard in an interview that the trains are set to arrive at CP in either March or early April.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
On a general note, has testing begun yet? Or would Cedar Point have revealed that sort of thing if it had happened, presuming it's only Alton Towers that builds stuff under a veil of secrecy.
Testing won't start until it warms up - most likely March.

Mack

Mega Poster
Usually CP is very, very open & publicizing about construction once they've announced it. They even announced MF's first pull-through (where a crane pulls the train slowly through the layout)

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
That sunset + My favorite place to photograph this coaster + Icy lake = <3

Do we know what kind of work is being done now? I thought if RMC's crews left that they'd have all the hardware installed as well but I don't remember hearing anything about brakes or lift chains or anything. Or does Velocity have people that does that for them?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Probably electrical. Also did the park ever disclose who was actually constructing the ride? The past three (at least) rides were constructed by Adena - maybe they're completing the tasks such as lift chain and brakes installation?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Indeed - work right now for the cold season is for electrical wiring, system wiring, and brakes installation. Irvine Ondrey is doing the systems work, and hasn't been on-site yet to the best of my knowledge, so I imagine the work is laying any new conduit that would be needed for electrical, and wiring while they wait for systems and brakes to be installed.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
On top of what others have said, also don't forget that after the electrics are all installed a lot of testing and commissioning of the sensors and controls has to be done well in advance of a train being sent round the track.

You don't install the sensors that control the speed of the ride (MCBR, final brake runs, etc) and then just send a train round. You do checks on their feedback and the system responses and interlocks, then you think about sending a train round.

Often why this phase seems to take the longest, and why often (not always) testing and opening can happen in reasonably quick succession.