What's new

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. As discussion seems to have started in the Steel Vengeance thread about a potential 2020 coaster for Cedar Point, I decided to make this thread. Now, Tony Clark has apparently hinted multiple times at a 2020 coaster that will be akin to Steel Vengeance in terms of scale, and many other sources have talked about rumours of a Cedar Point coaster in 2020, so it makes sense that one could well be coming. It's also Cedar Point's 150th anniversary, and parks in America often like to do big things for anniversaries. But the question is; if a coaster is coming in 2020, then what could it be? Well, I could personally see a polercoaster coming, as it would continue the Cedar Point trend of having the first coaster over a certain height e.g. Magnum was first over 200ft, Millennium was first over 300ft etc. So I could definitely see them building one. The only slight flaw, however, is that it would probably require Cedar Fair to make amends with Intamin, something which I'm not sure if they'd do.

I could also see an RMC T-Rex at Cedar Point in 2020. Rumours are apparently swirling that the first T-Rex Track is due in 2020, so it would be a good first for Cedar Point to capitalise on. They could also build a huge ride and break loads of records for single rail coasters. Furthermore, it would be quite different to anything else at Cedar Point, dependant on the sort of layout they pick. It's not out of the realms of possibility, as Cedar Fair bought RailBlazer, an RMC Raptor Track, for California's Great America this year. So maybe they were testing the waters to see how a larger model at Cedar Point might be received.

On another note, the early stages of construction may actually be beginning. Amusement Insiders on YouTube has spotted what looks like the first signs of footers for a coaster, and can already deduce a lot from what we've seen so far. Here's their video:
They seem to think that it will be a B&M flyer that breaks loads of flying coaster records. In fairness to them, I could potentially see that happening with the right amount of money.

So, what do you guys reckon Cedar Point could potentially get in 2020?
P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum or if another topic already exists.
P.P.S. If what I'm saying is utter trash, then could someone please lock and/or delete this thread?

Snoo

The Legend
I mentioned this in the SV thread.. there's not much they can make that will genuinely excite anyone short of a TRex tbh. They have literally everything you can imagine short of a flyer but a flyer is.. well.. there? It's possible but not really a great option because the rides are MOSTLY not great experiences. I know CP would rock it out but.. I mean you know.. a flyer.. lol

A woodie would be optimal because they don't have any short of Blue Streak. The rumors of Wicked Twister going out the door would be epic as that would open up a large swath of land on the beach.

Also.. let me squash this real quick.. Cedar Fair doesn't care about ANY other park when they build at CP, regardless of proximity. They can and will build whatever they want at that park, moreso because its a park decision over a chain decision, including if it's related to something near by, including Kings Island. Remember, this is a regional park. The only place they advertise both parks is in my town of Columbus, which is equal distance between both parks and has 1.5 million people you can bother. Outside of that, they both have regional advertising campaigns which are immense and glorious.

Matt N

CF Legend
So what you're essentially saying is that they basically have all the essentials for a world class coaster lineup? In which case, I completely agree with you. Even though they don't have a flying coaster per se, they have many rides that kind of cover the experience of flight already. Is that what you mean?

With regards to your point about a woodie, I reckon a large wooden coaster would work really well. I don't know about you, but I'd personally like to see Cedar Point build a massive GCI like Mountain Flyer or Python in Bamboo Forest and make it the world's tallest wooden roller coaster, which would probably give them a 7th coaster over 200ft.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
The problem with a tall wooden coaster is it takes up a huge amount of space and I just don't see a plot large enough for a huge new GCI or GG. I also highly doubt a polercoaster's likelihood at CP. If I had to Guess I'd say T-Rex with some number of world records attached (really "major" ones like height, length speed etc).

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
If I were to speculate (and this is no more than speculation), I'd say a woodie is out of the question for now, particularly a record-breaking one. Most park goers would compare it to Steel Vengeance, which is a bit of a marketing drawback. Also, Steel Vengeance seems like a pretty impressive ride, it would be really hard to top that with an actual woodie (heck, Mean Streak was their previous shot at taking the woodie record - we all saw how well that worked out as time went by). Steek Vengeance has the height, the steep drop, airtime, head-choppers, even inversions. How could you possibly frame a conventional woodie as a different experience, never mind a superior thrill? Steel Vengeance does things woodies just can't mimic, and even if they built one that did so, it would still be too similar to convince most people to return.

Grabbing the height record seems like a risky shot too. TTD gave them all sorts of trouble, and the high winds of the Great Lakes makes everything less reliable the higher you go. The Teracoaster record is still available (conventional-lift coaster more than 100 meters in height, not to be confused with Terracoaster, which was Maverick's marketing gimmick), but ultimately it would be hard to make it stand out from Millennium Force. To do that, it would have to be significantly bigger, which would be prohibitively expensive and space-demanding. The length record could also be grabbed, but it's not a record that gets much attention anyway.

The Flyer idea could work, it's the only obvious candidate which matches a hole in their line-up. They'd only have to reach 52 meters in height, 100 km/h in speed, and 1200 meters or so in length, which seems feasible to overcome. It'd be roughly the size of Alpengeist or Banshee. Flying coasters is also a big enough category that the record holds a certain weight. A T-Rex coaster would be the world's biggest monorail coaster, but even with a busy RMC order book there would only be approximately a half-dozen of those around by 2020, in worst case only three. "We have the world's biggest coaster of a type that didn't exist three years ago, also there's just a handful of them worldwide" wouldn't be a very impressive marketing slogan.

Personally, I hope for another coaster in the vein of Maverick. One that defies conventional categorization, that does a little bit of everything, doesn't care much for records or huge numbers, it just is a very solid ride. Make it fifty meters tall with five inversions and three launches and a whole bucket of airtime, and people will come even if it doesn't break any records or pioneer a new ride type.

At any rate, consider me excited for 2020. When a park like Cedar Point hits a milestone like that, something spectacular is sure to be in the works.

hendrixmarshall

Roller Poster
We talked about this a lot during our recent trip out there. First, we went on about what we would love to have, then on to what are they missing...and then what would fit in the space they've cleared. Love to have is a Mack Launch (a la Helix, haven't rode it but it looks great) Taron knock-off (same)...but reality starts to set in. Top Thrill Breakdown immediately comes to mind.

What they are missing. My oldest boy blurted out he wished they had a hyper or giga B&M. I personally think all but Fury are kinda weak, but haven't rode Mako, CW's, or world-wide yet. (Spring 2020 for Europe!) And the talk turned to single rail as talked about above. We also talked about a nice dark ride to get out of the heat is something they need, but I don't see it happening. They did just spend a bunch of money so folks can actually see the beach.

Then the talk turned to making something fit. My son said, "why don't they extend into the parking lot?" I thought this was pretty funny as this discussion has been beaten to death since 1994-ish. So we thought up a dream plan to relocate Mantirou to Valleyfair, and install a Mack Launch that interacts with the space there and Dinosaurs Alive island. The only real drawback would be the bugs. Personally, letting Chance Rides rework Cedar Creek Mine Ride (Lightning Run) fits all the check marks nicely. Aggressive family coaster that will take crowds off of Maverick and SV, but this won't happen either. Not for a big splash kinda deal. It'd be nice to have something that ran - and no need for a chiropractor visit right after would be nice, too.

I heard some really crazy rumors when we were there for Coastermania. A Santa Monica type Pier with rides and everything. (yeah, good luck on seeing that happen). Wicked Twister going to CGA and combining both spaces for a Vekoma Invert that doesn't loop (Not positive on the acronym for that one). Kinda like the one dollywood is prepping for. Either way, usually a test is built in another park before they go big guns blazing. So Mack launch seems to make the most sense. As long as there isn't another shed campaign, I'm happy with whatever they do. Fun to fantasize about it, though.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
It's going to be a sexy trexy. Probably 330 feet to have highest lift hill, inversions, airtime, intensity, and still relatively compact...or as compact as a 300 footer can get.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Intricks

Strata Poster
I know that Kinzel stated that before Gatekeeper became a thing, they were originally planning on building another giga coaster on the back end of the park (this was stated in an interview after he left), so mayhaps for the 2020 addition those plans could be looked into again and possibly changed up to fit the current room within the park.

As for rumor talk - I havent read anything other than fanboy wish lists.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
There are so many points to be made about this. As @Snoo mentioned, they don't have a hole in their lineup unless they remove an older ride...but then you're left with a bit of a philosophical discussion regarding whether the park fully replaces rides like Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Corkscrew, or Wicked Twister, or do they just pay homage or just completely forget about it. Their past five roller coasters have been significantly large additions - they've all been expensive, transformational projects that have completely thrilled riders since they opened. This project aligns with the 150th anniversary, and if Tony Clark is hinting that this will outdo Steel Vengeance SOMEHOW...it'll be nothing short of monumental.

Now that that's out of the way, I will entertain a thought I saw elsewhere. Cedar Point's biggest niche is probably a kiddie or family coaster. The park currently has Wilderness Run and Woodstock Express as the true kiddie coasters and Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Iron Dragon, and Blue Streak as more family type coasters. What if (not necessarily in 2020) they added a Firechaser Express type ride or a Gravity Group woodie ala Grover or Roar-o-saurus? The former would add a unique and fun ride type and the latter would satisfy those who think the park lacks wood, but wouldn't lead to crushing disappointment from a Mystic Timbers sized addition.

NAPayne31

Mega Poster
There are surveyors marks by Witches Wheel in the back of the park. Do what you will with that because I don't know how to interpret it.

However, I see it being another 300+ foot coaster to celebrate the 150th year of the park. 2020 is going to be amazing.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
My first thought when I saw the markings by Witches Wheel was they they are either going to rework Magnum into a HUGE coaster (new track, layout, etc...) or replace it all together. Last time I rode it (2017) it was a pretty rough ride and with SV and MF not too far away I skipped it this year. They can celebrate the 30th anniversary of the coaster then do something different with it for the parks 150th anniversary.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
My first thought when I saw the markings by Witches Wheel was they they are either going to rework Magnum into a HUGE coaster (new track, layout, etc...) or replace it all together. Last time I rode it (2017) it was a pretty rough ride and with SV and MF not too far away I skipped it this year. They can celebrate the 30th anniversary of the coaster then do something different with it for the parks 150th anniversary.

I must admit I've entertained similar ideas. Magnum XL-200 was groundbreaking when it was built, but by today, everything it does has been eclipsed by other coasters in the park. Most notably Millennium Force. It's only the fifth tallest coaster at Cedar Point (tied with Steel Vengeance), and doesn't particularly stand out in speed or airtime either anymore. It's also getting quite old by coaster standards, and its manufacturer is long since bankrupt. Spare parts for the thing can't be easy to come across anymore. It's remarkably space-conserving for being so big, but it's not hard to imagine a more modern coaster following the same layout and turning out a whole lot better.

It would be a little sad to see it go, but I'd be more thrilled for an announcement of its replacement than I would for an announcement of it staying another 30 (or even 10) years - even if it means I would never get to ride it. Magnum has served its duty admirably, broken the 60-meter ceiling and been influential, but technology has marched on. It could retire with dignity after its 30th anniversary.

Snoo

The Legend
I must admit I've entertained similar ideas. Magnum XL-200 was groundbreaking when it was built, but by today, everything it does has been eclipsed by other coasters in the park. Most notably Millennium Force. It's only the fifth tallest coaster at Cedar Point (tied with Steel Vengeance), and doesn't particularly stand out in speed or airtime either anymore. It's also getting quite old by coaster standards, and its manufacturer is long since bankrupt. Spare parts for the thing can't be easy to come across anymore. It's remarkably space-conserving for being so big, but it's not hard to imagine a more modern coaster following the same layout and turning out a whole lot better.

It would be a little sad to see it go, but I'd be more thrilled for an announcement of its replacement than I would for an announcement of it staying another 30 (or even 10) years - even if it means I would never get to ride it. Magnum has served its duty admirably, broken the 60-meter ceiling and been influential, but technology has marched on. It could retire with dignity after its 30th anniversary.

They would never replace Magnum unless 100% needed. It's a people eater and still offers quite the experience. And as it's historical, that can be put to bed. :p

codeman94

Mega Poster
RMC Gemini? That seems to be the current "most neglected" ride in the park. The last 2 times I was at CP they were only running Red trains.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
RMC Gemini? That seems to be the current "most neglected" ride in the park. The last 2 times I was at CP they were only running Red trains.

Possibly, yes, but not in 2020. How could you possibly market that after Steel Vengeance?

"For our 150th anniversary, we decided to refurbish a smaller and less thrilling coaster than we did for our 148th anniversary!
- Cedar Point: Because base 37 is where it's at!"

codeman94

Mega Poster
Possibly, yes, but not in 2020. How could you possibly market that after Steel Vengeance?

"For our 150th anniversary, we decided to refurbish a smaller and less thrilling coaster than we did for our 148th anniversary!
- Cedar Point: Because base 37 is where it's at!"

I know it sounds silly. But seriously, Gemini is going to need some attention soon.

Might they transplant some of the cabins/camping spots back to where Sandcastle Suites used to be to open up new property near Gemini/CP Shores Parking? What's going on with that property up there anyways? That way CP Shores can be more integrated with the roller coasters, not just Magnum.