What's new

KJ7500

Roller Poster
And back on topic. Do you all think Cedar Point will be getting a new coaster in 2020 (But it will NOT be the primary focus of the expansion) or not?
That last statement from Tony Clark wasn't too encouraging. I think fans of thrills might have to make do with a big flat, but I'm still hoping for a coaster.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
And back on topic. Do you all think Cedar Point will be getting a new coaster in 2020 (But it will NOT be the primary focus of the expansion) or not?
I would absolutely LOVE for that revamp of the Kiddie Kingdom to happen (I believe the video was posted in this thread) but I don't think there will be a new coaster. It doesn't seem to be in the plans, which is fine with me. Only time will tell but based on what Tony has been talking about it doesn't seem likely.

bernatc22

Mega Poster
Let's not lie to ourselves. We all pretty much know the coaster -if there is one- will not be the main focus of 2020's expansion. My guess is an overall park enhancement, some flats, some kiddies, a midway facelift (please?), and a Raptor

Olivier

Roller Poster
Hey there,

I've watched interviews of RMC mgmt, where they explain that the T-Rex prototype interested some parks, and that a project was in the pipeline for 2020 ish. Then the guy at IAAPA couldn't resist saying that the T-Rex could be 2.5 times the size of the Raptor. That actually makes the Raptor a living prototype of the 500ft T-Rex.
So we know that T-Rex is coming and will break the 500ft record. This coaster spreads on a huge area but it has a tiny footprint, as it's high on steel poles, so it would fit CP.
That said, RMC having NO RIDE opening in the USA in 2019. It's a perfect timing to focus on building T-Rex.

Compagnie des Alpes in France has stopped investing in Ski resorts and invests huge bucks in rollercoasters. They are turning their 2 small parks near Paris and Brussels into international attractions. Energylandia in Poland is showing that spending huge amounts of money on rollercoasters can be a sound investment.
Disney invests a lot in park expansions.
Universal studio is having a new park.
I understand that six Flags has and always has had financial issues, but still adds novelties every year.
Cedar Point, since mgmt change, needed to polish the park a bit, making it a holiday resort and not just a coaster park and that's done. Now they want to reach new highs in frequentation.

Not going into the "climat change" thing but, investments are happening in the theme parks industry.
To me it's easy for a park like Cedar Point to have a 5years plan backed-up by banks in those times, given the record breaking history of its coasters.
Ohio is spending 16 billion $ in highway infrastructure.
Cedar Point wants to reach out to visitors from all around the world.

Now if I was to put a 500ft ride in my park so that I break the record first, I could only go for the RMC proposition right now. I mean Polercoaster would be a nice fallback but, a coaster needs speed and air-times these days, and Raptor is doing fine so... I would make a 5y deal with BMC and Alan Schilke, finance the prototyping (RailBlazer), conclude agreements on several rides to diversify risk, free the land for the pillars and hide it behind Forbidden Frontier. Then I'd start pouring concrete when nobody looks and make sure the ground can handle the weight.

I would put the top of the hill in the place of Witches Wheel, so that the ride looks to TTD as TTD looked in comparaison of Millenium Force, and set the station on Adventure Island.

Anyway, RMC would have to start making the HUGE track segments soon and we will be able to see it on Google earth before the end of the 2019 season, so they would have to make an announcement before that.

But, like with TTD, i can imagine that 2 T-Rex will open : one at CP, one at a Six Flags park.

Snoo

The Legend
Let's not lie to ourselves. We all pretty much know the coaster -if there is one- will not be the main focus of 2020's expansion. My guess is an overall park enhancement, some flats, some kiddies, a midway facelift (please?), and a Raptor

Honestly, being overzealous, I want a huge T-Rex.

Reality? It's going to be similar to Dollywood. An expansion/update of the kiddy area with a new small coaster and updated equipment would be phenomenal.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Honestly, being overzealous, I want a huge T-Rex.

Reality? It's going to be similar to Dollywood. An expansion/update of the kiddy area with a new small coaster and updated equipment would be phenomenal.
giphy.gif

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I've watched interviews of RMC mgmt, where they explain that the T-Rex prototype interested some parks, and that a project was in the pipeline for 2020 ish. Then the guy at IAAPA couldn't resist saying that the T-Rex could be 2.5 times the size of the Raptor. That actually makes the Raptor a living prototype of the 500ft T-Rex.
Where do you get the 500 foot figure from? The existing Raptors are barely 100 footsies tall, 2.5 times that would put the T-Rex in the 75 m range. Big, sure, but barely half as big as everybody seems to make it out to be.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I'm going to side with @Hyde on this one. Keep in mind that we're discussing America's Roller Coast. Yes, they've been really pushing to invest in other areas of their resort and give more variety to visitors. Yes, they've been pushing a marketing campaign to showcase how much more the park has to offer aside from the roller coasters...but at the end of the day, it's Cedar Point. Roller coasters are part of their DNA and they won't deny it.

Based on Schilke's IAAPA interview, RMC's steel coasters are a function of height - they specifically bracket their product offerings based on track size due to strength increases when jumping from raptor to T-Rex. Alan stated that raptors are designed with a ceiling around 200 feet in mind. This makes sense as it's supposed to be a higher volume, higher profit product. He also stated that T-Rexs, due to track size and how they're supported, really don't make economical sense below 300 feet - you're spending extra money on track sizes and structure that is way overkill for supporting itself if below that 300 foot mark. This is why Alan hinted that there will be a third product to slot in between their current products. This design would have track that's larger than a raptor, but smaller than a T-Rex and would probably sit two abreast. This would be the type of coaster that we'd consider a modern flagship - something that makes sense when built somewhere between 150ish feet and 300 feet.

Tl;Dr - people are getting the 500 foot number from CP's proclivity to go break records (they're one of the few parks that'd actually consider 500 feet) and that, from the horse's mouth, the T-Rex product line is intended to be completely enormous.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Tl;Dr - people are getting the 500 foot number from CP's proclivity to go break records (they're one of the few parks that'd actually consider 500 feet) and that, from the horse's mouth, the T-Rex product line is intended to be completely enormous.
And, in true YOLO form, recognizing that 500 ft. is hella expensive, with Cedar Fair being the only park chain to realistically be able to back that kind of project. Unless UAE starts redirecting their sovereign wealth and investment fund in very radical ways.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Where do you get the 500 foot figure from? The existing Raptors are barely 100 footsies tall, 2.5 times that would put the T-Rex in the 75 m range. Big, sure, but barely half as big as everybody seems to make it out to be.

I think the 500ft figure possibly stems from this interview with an RMC guy, who states (at about 4min in) that they could build a 400 - 500ft T Rex if they wanted to (and also, presumably, if someone is willing to pay for it!)

Of course, the enthusiast community being what it is, many have made the giant leap of interpreting that as cast iron proof that Cedar Point is getting one in 2020.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
If they've essentially said "we're not getting a record breaking/massive coaster" would they really get RMC's newest, hyped model (even if it's not 800ft)? Not sure I'm buying the raptor idea. I don't think he meant it won't be 800ft literally more just like "it's not a crazy new coaster" kind of thing.