What's new

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
LOL...Cedar Fair doesn't have money to build multiple major coasters in a year. Please educate yourself on CF, their financials, Capex, etc..before commenting,
If you know how to find this sort of stuff and have enough information to share it with others, why don't you enlighten us in a helpful way instead of picking on those who don't know? We're here to discuss and share our knowledge, not to brag about how much secret information we guard while ridiculing those who don't have that knowledge.

As for retro stuff Cedar Point could do... giving re-named attractions back their name and signboards for the season could possibly be on the table? Like hanging up the Mean Streak sign on Steel Vengeance, or give Rougarou the Mantis moniker back for a while. Heck, if they're going that way, they could feasibly even rename Gatekeeper to Disaster Transport. Not sure what other coasters have changed their names and taglines over the years, but there are probably enough that it could be made a "thing".

Grobble

Roller Poster
Nobody can see what is happening at the park right now, besides webcams. All they have to do is point them the other direction. We can't for sure say what they are, or are not, currently doing.

Here's a thought I just had, so I'm kinda spitballing for a second.

Kings Island is (presumably) getting a large B&M. Upwards of $25 million

CGA had that hyper for 2020...was that cancelled? If not, another $20ish million

Kings Dominion is apparently supposed to get something for 2020. Would want to compete with Soaring with Dragons like BGW addition. $20-30m?

So let's assume they stick with the recent trend of 4 parks get new coasters, that would mean the final addition of 2020 would go to Cedar Point, or a park that DESPERATELY needs a new coaster. So Cedar Point will get it.

2019 is a light year with only 2 major additions, so theoretically they could add an additional coaster, or the additional funds go to a larger addition. We still don't have a dollar amount for raptors, but Schilke did mention they were working on a mid tier between raptor and rex, but I'm not expecting this to be that. If anything, I'd expect a 2 per row raptor, or a sexy trexy.

Hyde just made me think about this. We all know I want a Sexy Trexy, so let's ignore that for a second. I think people are over exaggerating the amount of space needed. Yes, you have to accommodate for speed/forces, but RMC have proven they can fit a lot in tight areas (giggity). Now, why not let this bitch run into the parking lot? What would be more intimidating than that skyline? Driving alongside a stupid big drop and a 250 foot dive loop ala Wonder Woman. Who needs a massive turnaround when you can give stupid ejector on the biggest inversion on the planet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1)There is not even an inkling that Kings Dominionis in line for something major in 2020
2)2019 was not a light year. Cedar Fair Capex on what they call marketable attractions is a minimum of 10% or revenue, the overall Capex has varied from 160 to 188M the last 5 years. The variance is b/c of non park projects..ie..hotels/lodging which CF separates into a different category. CF does not cut or rides/marketable attractions Capex for the hotel projects. 2019 is in no way a light year, the 2 projects at Wonderland and Carowinds..new coasters/theme areas are both 30M projects.
3) Cedar Point/ Tony Clark have given some general thoughts on 2020. They restated them in an article just the other day.

What actual ride(s) Cedar Point is getting in 2020 was decided long ago. In fact, the ride(s) for every park in the chain are decided way in advance. 2020 ride additions by thus time are 100% certain, 2021 rides are like 80-85% certainty, meaning out of all 11 parks maybe 1 will be changed, but nothing big. 2022 rides have about 50%certainty. Big rides like coasters are locked in many years in advance of what Corporate wants the coaster pecking order to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I think Cedar Point will be getting that middle-ground RMC single rail that was mentioned in the IAAPA interviews. The Raptors can go up to 200, T-Rexes are meant for 300-500 foot behemoths, but then there was that other model mentioned. We don't know much about it though besides what little has been stated in aforementioned interviews. The location? The spot of Wicked Twister, Xtreme Wheels Stadium and Tiki Twirl... Tiki Twirl has been moved many times in the history of Cedar Point, most recently to accomodate Valravn. I've done a Google Earth approximation of the site in question, and it's around a few acres large.

I really think this won't be the main focus of the 2020 expansion though, as Tony Clark said in that Twitter post he wants 2020 to be a retro year. To celebrate what has been lost in Cedar Point's quest to outdo every other amusement park on the planet. This coaster could be themed to the old Cyclone, a '20s wooden coaster that stood on the Xtreme Wheels Stadium's site before it, and with it the entire area surrounding Wicked Twister would be renovated to a nostalgic boardwalk theme and feel. Bring back the old food items, bring back the old merch, bring back references to old rides! This is truly what I want to see Cedar Point do.

As for Wicked Twister's new home... what about California's Great America, which had an Impulse coaster in their long term plans? It'd be a relatively inexpensive addition compared to a huge B&M hyper coaster, that's for sure!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
All this pontification though would have needed to have happened years ago to give proper runway for developing attractions.
What actual ride(s) Cedar Point is getting in 2020 was decided long ago. In fact, the ride(s) for every park in the chain are decided way in advance. 2020 ride additions by thus time are 100% certain, 2021 rides are like 80-85% certainty, meaning out of all 11 parks maybe 1 will be changed, but nothing big. 2022 rides have about 50%certainty. Big rides like coasters are locked in many years in advance of what Corporate wants the coaster pecking order to be.
Is there an echo? :p

LOL...Cedar Fair doesn't have money to build multiple major coasters in a year. Please educate yourself on CF, their financials, Capex, etc..before commenting,
Cedar Fair certainly has cash flow and precedent for multiple, large roller coaster projects. Just take a look at new-for-2018 attractions: Twisted Timbers, Steel Vengeance, HangTime, and Railblazer (not to mention various flatride that landed at Canada's Wonderland, Valley Fair, and World's of Fun). Let's also not forget the back-to-back Intimidator installations at Carowinds and Kings Dominion back in 2010 that came to the total of $48M all-in ($55M if you adjust for inflation).

Envisioning two large roller coasters is certainly not out of the imagination, especially if Cedar Point would not have a large attraction planned for 2020.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I stand with @Matt N. Cedar Fair has proven that they can build multiple major coasters in a year, i.e. 2018 (A Raptor & Gerstlauer Infinity would be on the cheaper side, probably $10 million each, but Twisted Timbers & Steel Vengeance were probably around $15-$18 million apiece) and 2013, when Gold Striker & Gatekeeper opened. Let's not forget 2009, when Cedar Fair opened Diamondback and Prowler. I think the reason we're seeing a lack of flatrides for Cedar Fair 2019 is because they are saving up money for 2020. 2020 will probably entail the whole Cedar Point boardwalk revamp, as well as the Kings Island gigacoaster. And Wicked Twister being relocated to California's Great America as I mentioned above. I don't see Kings Dominion getting a coaster in 2020, as they typically don't try to match Busch Gardens Williamsburg with new coaster to new coaster. Honestly, Kings Dominion will have to wait another while before they get a large new roller coaster, as Cedar Fair's focus is on Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, the Point, Kings Island and California's Great America.

Grobble

Roller Poster
But didn't they build 4 major coasters in 2018?
Maybe you missed the point and obvious sarcasm if you read anything I ever posted..The LOL was the notion of the 1st poster that they couldn't afford it.

Is there an echo? :p

Cedar Fair certainly has cash flow and precedent for multiple, large roller coaster projects. Just take a look at new-for-2018 attractions: Twisted Timbers, Steel Vengeance, HangTime, and Railblazer (not to mention various flatride that landed at Canada's Wonderland, Valley Fair, and World's of Fun). Let's also not forget the back-to-back Intimidator installations at Carowinds and Kings Dominion back in 2010 that came to the total of $48M all-in ($55M if you adjust for inflation).

Envisioning two large roller coasters is certainly not out of the imagination, especially if Cedar Point would not have a large attraction planned for 2020.

Sarcasm straight over your head.

I stand with @Matt N. I think the reason we're seeing a lack of flatrides for Cedar Fair 2019 is because they are saving up money for 2020. 2020 will probably entail the whole Cedar Point boardwalk revamp, as well as the Kings Island gigacoaster. And Wicked Twister being relocated to California's Great America as I mentioned above. I don't see Kings Dominion getting a coaster in 2020, as they typically don't try to match Busch Gardens Williamsburg with new coaster to new coaster. Honestly, Kings Dominion will have to wait another while before they get a large new roller coaster, as Cedar Fair's focus is on Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, the Point, Kings Island and California's Great America.

1)For the 100th time and I know you have been told this b/c I know your handle from Youtube..CEDAR FAIR DOES NOT "SAVE UP". I'm not going to go thru the particulars in details again b/c obviously you're incapable of comprehending it, have been explained many times before to you.

2)CF is not relocating Wicked Twister to CGA. SFDK has a Intamin impulse which is 40 miles away.

3)King Island is not "focus" as you call it or what CF calls it a "prioritized park", which are Cedar Point, Knotts, Wonderland, Carowinds, CGA

MOD EDIT: Please do not double post - Pokey

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Oh yes, your clear sarcasm completely obliterates @Matt N and his ability to state a clear-cut fact. How ever will we live up to your discrete and subtle posting genius?

In all seriousness, can you at least attempt to post something to contribute to normal conversation? All you seem to do is put others down with your 'higher education' on Cedar Fair and the theme park industry. Next time you post, please try to contribute something positive. And if you are providing a fact that not many people would be aware of, a source would be greatly appreciated. Posting a 'secret' fact without a source makes you seem like a douche for leaking something you're not supposed to, or just a flat out idiot for spewing some garbage fact. I'm sure you're neither of these with the way you've been posting, but consider it when posting next time.

Anyway, on topic, I honestly don't think Cedar Point will be getting a coaster for 2020. They'll spruce up the park, have a year-long festival celebrating its heritage with specialty food, drinks, merch, etc, and maybe some classic flats here and there. Like @KJ7500 said, a modern rotor would be nice to see.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
Like others I don't think Cedar Point will get anything record breaking for 2020. Special events, maybe something like a 24 hour opening to coincide with the original opening day. Improvements, small additions and some new signage/merch for the year. I'm not sure they really need more family friendly rides, that obviously isn't their target audience.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
New signage would be awesome! Maybe even some of those touch screen maps at Kings Island with the wait times? I'm surprised Cedar Point hasn't gotten those yet.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I have less knowledge of what's gonna happen at Cedar Point than (almost) anyone whose posted here, but I do think that the boardwalk expansion would be a smart move. I stayed at Breakers and had a night not at the park, but I found there was nothing to do there. I'd prefer some little changes to improve the park expereince to a new coaster tbh, especially so soon after SV.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I mean a new coaster only after 2 years of getting a major one would sound ridiculous... but this is Cedar Point, "America's Roller Coast." I do see the middleman RMC single rail not being the highlight of the 150th celebration, but rather the overall boardwalk revamp will be the pinnacle of this expansion.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
And that's the end of that.

To everyone: Please don't put others down. If you find an error in their message, politely correct them and move on with your life. You do not need to show your superiority over others. And again, if you do have some knowledge not many others know about, make sure you're allowed to post it, and post the source with it. Thank you.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
2)CF is not relocating Wicked Twister to CGA. SFDK has a Intamin impulse which is 40 miles away.
Oh, -1 point for the fallacy here.
Great America getting or not getting anything has nothing to do with another park with a different owner....

1 - DK having Medusa didn't stop GA from making Vortex a floorless
2 - DK Having GCI ROAR didn't stop GA from getting GCI Gold Striker
3 - Both parks had boomerang (variant) open within the same week!
4 - Both parks have a frisbee (variant) DK had it first, and third
5 - Both parks had a Huss Top Spin, DK had it first
6 - Both parks have a SkyCoaster

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Oh, -1 point for the fallacy here.
Great America getting or not getting anything has nothing to do with another park with a different owner....

1 - DK having Medusa didn't stop GA from making Vortex a floorless
2 - DK Having GCI ROAR didn't stop GA from getting GCI Gold Striker
3 - Both parks had boomerang (variant) open within the same week!
4 - Both parks have a frisbee (variant) DK had it first, and third
5 - Both parks had a Huss Top Spin, DK had it first
6 - Both parks have a SkyCoaster

Furthermore, we can see this same sort of occurrence taking place all over the world. Another notable one that springs to mind is Six Flags Fiesta Texas relocating a Batman clone to their park when there's already one fifteen minutes away at Sea World San Diego.