What's new

Canada's Wonderland | Yukon Striker | B&M Dive Coaster

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Would anyone mind me asking; who is this UC character, out of interest?

The most notorious debater ever to be on CF. Remember that thread I link to every time you apologize for writing "long" posts? The one where Ian put up a poll specifically asking people whether they bothered to read through it all? That was his style. Nowadays, we respond to posts with a witty GIF somebody else made, back then UC responded to posts with novels. He was a really knowledgeable guy too, if a little too rigid in his conclusions at times. Last thing I heard from him, he graduated from CF into the industry. I think he was spotted on site when Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit(?) was built, wearing a white helmet and a happy smile.

Oh, and UC stands for "Ultimate Coaster". We were all fourteen once.

Matt N

CF Legend
The most notorious debater ever to be on CF. Remember that thread I link to every time you apologize for writing "long" posts? The one where Ian put up a poll specifically asking people whether they bothered to read through it all? That was his style. Nowadays, we respond to posts with a witty GIF somebody else made, back then UC responded to posts with novels. He was a really knowledgeable guy too, if a little too rigid in his conclusions at times. Last thing I heard from him, he graduated from CF into the industry. I think he was spotted on site when Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit(?) was built, wearing a white helmet and a happy smile.

Ah OK. Thanks @Pokemaniac! He certainly sounds like a knowledgeable character!

Snoo

The Legend

This. But to be honest, he was one of the main reasons I know as much as I know now. Reading his debates as well as those rebuttals from other members is how most of us learned about more then just "COASTERRRZZZZZZ!!! WOOO!!!". Most, if not all, of those members who were around before 2009 got into it in some capacity with him regarding something. He MADE you be better at posting on forums, which made the forums as a whole just.. better.

As far as UC goes, he is still working in the industry down in Florida, one of the theming companies based down there. Last I talked to him (few months ago), he was getting ready to go to China. He has certainly grown up.. as have most of us.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Getting the negative part of what I have to say out of the way first: not a fan of the machine itself, at least as a rider. Granted how they worked it in is awesome. The dive into Vortex’s helix I love, I love that they’ve added elements to it, it doesn’t look like every other friggin’ one like it, I feel it would be the best dive machine potentially. I’m just not a fan of the dive coaster concept, ridden all 3 in the States and none of them really managed to blow me away. Props to B&M for breaking the mold and doing something this different with the concept, it’s still just not a concept I’m a fan of, and I doubt I’ll be traveling to ride it with the new job on my plate.

But I absolutely adore the name, I adore the theme, I adore the logo, and I adore that trailer video. It’s both all very well done so far as well as a theme I just happen to personally be drawn to. I hope they go all out with this by CF standards because I’d love to see this theme executed well on a major coaster. Maybe put some sort of totem pole motif on the trains?

Also remember when Valravn was announced I was called stupid for saying I wished they had worked a few more elements in before the MCBR, believe I’m owed an apology now. :p

Edit: Finally after all these years, this expansion is bringing with it Frontier Canada! https://www.canadaswonderland.com/b...nd-to-officially-open-frontier-canada-in-2019

Last edited:

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Oh my goodness, that debate is quite a throwback! Considering the loop AND the fact that the ride isn't 300 feet tall, the rest of this post is twice as apt:

*Inhales*

tumblr_mke5g6QhEZ1s65qwro1_400.gif

My opinion is split regarding the ride itself. That drop is going to look so impressive in that part of the park. I love the extended first half but the ride feels awkward after the vertical loop. It's growing on me already, but I think I'll need to see some vertical construction to get a better feel for the ride. I quite like the name, theme, and the rest of the ride's aesthetic though!

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
I think I'm also very torn on this ride. Definitely looks like the best of the big dive coasters. Drop looks fantastic and the positioning is great; dwarfs the other rides around it and nearly eye-level with Windseeker. I love how it actually has elements after the immelmann and uses the speed to actually do something. Shall not even acknowledge the post-MCBR section.

But then again.... It's a dive machine. They look so damn good offride, and then you ride one and its just like "oh ok. Its fun?" Who knows, maybe this one will be the one to change that.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Not a fan of the color... Not a fan of the name... Not a fan of the layout (especially post MCBR ((GateKeeeeeeeeper////Intimidator)))

But... Do want. Should make for a nice trip along with Kennywood and Darien Lake

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
I love the mini Immelman, and you gotta admit this coaster looks good on the park's skyline. Pretty massive. Somehow they managed to make the color scheme look good in the video, but I'm still not sold on it.
Also, I really like how they are bringing in "Frontier Canada".
As for the post brake-run part (you can't call it a half, it's not long enough), at least they built the helix around a path. So you can watch it. :D
The Ledge was a better name in my opinion.

Last edited:

codeman94

Mega Poster
I hate how some B&M's seem to stick a MCBR in the last 20% of the track length. In this video there are 14 more seconds of ride time between the MCBR and Blocks.

Pear

Strata Poster
This still has vests though, so they could ruin the ride.

Why don't you go ride a dive with vests before making claims like this.

The vests absolutely do not ruin Valravn and it's still the best dive machine I've ridden (I've done all the ones in the US and Krake).

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Why don't you go ride a dive with vests before making claims like this.

The vests absolutely do not ruin Valravn and it's still the best dive machine I've ridden (I've done all the ones in the US and Krake).
I'm not claiming anything. From what I see, 90% of enthusiasts seem to agree that B&M vest restraints are ****. For all you know, I could have already ridden a dive machine with vests, so don't talk a load of crap, because really you have no idea. I personally don't mind B&M's vests, but I see why a lot of people dislike them. You like them so good for you, but not many others don't.

Last edited: