What's new

Canada's Wonderland | Yukon Striker | B&M Dive Coaster

Hutch

Strata Poster
Pleasantly surprised with that. Love the drop into the tunnel through the suspended coaster, that'll be a great view from the top. I'm really glad the MCBR isn't immediately after the first inversion, but it's great to see a more inspiring flow of inversions. Kinda reminds of of a large wing rider.

This will be great for the park, and actually gives them a decent coaster outside Behemoth and Leviathan.

Bathtub Gin

Roller Poster
Pleasantly surprised with that. Love the drop into the tunnel through the suspended coaster, that'll be a great view from the top. I'm really glad the MCBR isn't immediately after the first inversion, but it's great to see a more inspiring flow of inversions. Kinda reminds of of a large wing rider.

This will be great for the park, and actually gives them a decent coaster outside Behemoth and Leviathan.
And Vortex.

Love how unique the layout. But sadly it'll be another dive coaster not living up to its potential because of vest restraints.

Agreed. The layout looks pretty good- far and away the most inspired we've seen on this type (not exactly strong competition out there). Vest restraints on Dive Machines, though, are an idea spawned in the devil's ass.
Also, I think the color scheme is great.

Last edited:

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
That looks rather good! I was really surprised to see the vertical loop in there, very nice and substantial Dive Machine layout.
But what's up with that video - has it leaked or am I missing something? The announcement is still in like 5 hours.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Well I'll be damned. AI's crappy NL2 creation wasn't far off.

I'm impressed, although it looks abit uncomfortable in places, like the inversion thing before the MCBR, and basically the second half. I LOVE the massive zero-g. And the height is nice.

Just repaint the whole thing plz.

Matt N

CF Legend
I like it! The vertical loop is an interesting element for this ride type, and the layout is very original, in my opinion! The colour scheme looks nice, too, although it would seem as though I'm alone in thinking that. One thing I'm not too sure on is the name, but I'm sure it'll grow on me over time!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Interesting layout, nice to have a tunnel and going through the suspended is pretty cool, but looks slow and cumbersome, the ending is garbage.
Very meh.

James F

Hyper Poster
It looks a lot more ambitious than the likes of Valravn. Quite impressive with how much they fit into such a small space. I am not a big fan of the vest restraints, but I can get over that. I think it's a great addition to the park, a smooth coaster with inversions.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

KJ7500

Roller Poster
Layout looks great til the MCBR. Second "dive" doesn't even look that steep, or that tall either.
I dig the paint job and the name, too. I've seen a few people hating on the name Yukon Striker, but I like how it's uniquely Canadian and evokes mining. Maybe it's just the threat of Ziz, potentially the worst coaster name ever, that makes anything else seem golden in comparison.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
How many layouts does it break? I mean it obviously breaks the dive machine record for inversions, but does it beat it for height, drop, speed, length, etc? Also, I feel like B&Ms are starting to become more intense, especially seeing Valkyria, and this looks to have a layout that could provide some decent intensity.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Yay, the age-old argument has been settled at last! We can have vertical loops on Dive Machines! Back in 2008, people were almost banned over that discussion. @Antinos, your name has been conclusively cleared.

Dare I start it?

There's plenty you can do with a dive machine that hasn't been done yet. You can do a vertical loop for example. An idea I had was after an immelmann, have the train go right into a dive loop. There's plenty you can do with them, we just need a park to build a unique one.

The argument that followed is an interesting read, and a trip down nostalgia lane for many of us older folks.

http://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/dive-coaster-b-m-dive-machine-for-happy-va.24404/

I think there was an even older thread where people put up models from NoLimits to show that the clearance required for dive machine trains would make vertical loops on those coasters impossible (or at best, more resembling corkscrews than loops), but alas, it seems to have been lost to time. This was the best I could find.

UC, I adore you man, but this time it seems like you were wrong. Your conclusion stood firm for ten years, though.

EthanCoaster

Mega Poster
This thing looks wacky. As far as records, I think it might actually be taller than Valravn. It looks taller than Behemoth in the animation, and it comes relatively close to the height of the swings on Windseeker.

Lofty

CF Legend
Just a few things:

- I'm just a bit over the whole vertical drop into Immelmann and was hoping for something unique with this. I just don't like immelmanns to be fair.
- A big ass zero g is quite fab.
- A vertical loop... how fascinating... *sarcasm*.
- My favourite part of this is probably the straight bit of track after the vertical loop, if it's anything like OzIris', you'll definitely feel it, a little pop of floater before the positive g kicks in again.
- Another f'king Immelmann.
- What even is the point in the section after the MCBR? I'm pretty sure I can't even remember the little airtime hill on Valravn?

So yeah, I think it's a bit middle of the road as a coaster?

Ethan

Strata Poster
The ending brings me so much pain.
As for the rest of it, looks alright! Not too fussed about the vertical loop but the colours have grown on me.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Yay, the age-old argument has been settled at last! We can have vertical loops on Dive Machines! Back in 2008, people were almost banned over that discussion. @Antinos, your name has been conclusively cleared.

The argument that followed is an interesting read, and a trip down nostalgia lane for many of us older folks.

http://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/dive-coaster-b-m-dive-machine-for-happy-va.24404/

I think there was an even older thread where people put up models from NoLimits to show that the clearance required for dive machine trains would make vertical loops on those coasters impossible (or at best, more resembling corkscrews than loops), but alas, it seems to have been lost to time. This was the best I could find.

UC, I adore you man, but this time it seems like you were wrong. Your conclusion stood firm for ten years, though.

I thought all along that vertical loops were possible (And to be honest, the wing riders with vertical loops have kind of already proven the concept by default given they have wide trains too)

Yes dive machine trains are wider, but given the inversion itself is so big anyway, the notion that shifting the exit of the loop effectively "two seats width" further to one side (for clearance) would massivley distort the loop into a corkscrew is absurd, and we can see that on Yukon Striker that yep, it's just a plain old looking loop.

I think the closest thing we ever got to a corkscrew/loop distorted thing is the inversion after the launch on Takabisha, and you can see quite clearly that no dive machine would require a loop stretched out to that extent.

american-dream-gerstlauer-east-rutherford-new-jersey-roller-coaster-ride-entertainment-launch.jpg

( https://likesntrends.com/12-best-roller-coasters-in-the-world-2018/ )

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Weird, it has the same strange dip after the vertical loop that Osiris has. Do you think it’s an aesthetic thing that they do that, rather than having a wonky loop?

Yay, the age-old argument has been settled at last! We can have vertical loops on Dive Machines! Back in 2008, people were almost banned over that discussion. Antinos, your name has been conclusively cleared.

God I couldn’t stand that guy’s posts. His arguments usually only “won” because he’d shout down all opponents till they got bored of arguing with him.

Snoo

The Legend

Yeah holy crap! A lot of those names go way back. I do love @Ben with his first comment about Dive Machines stopping. A decade later and they haven't stopped. There are a ton of hot takes in there as well. And for maybe the first time, UC was actually wrong about something! I may text him. :p