What's new

California's Great America Announces Plans for Future

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Screamscape broke with the reporting, who summarizes it best: http://screamscape.com/html/california- ... merica.htm

Screamscape said:
Cedar Fair and California's Great America made a huge announcement a few hours ago regarding the park's future. Not only did they announce their intention to buy the land under the park that will soon be put up for sale by the city, but they have also applied to make zoning changes for the property that will allow them to add more new tall rides to the park (over 200 ft) without jumping through as many hoops as before, or annoying complaints from neighboring office buildings.

Add onto this a new plan that would see a new entertainment complex built just outside the park's main gate that would incorporate the existing amphitheater, but would be open to the general public. In other words, it looks like they intend to build their own version of a Universal CityWalk project, which certainly would help keep the site alive and active all year round, though size-wise a better comparison may be to think of it being more like the Marketplace outside Knott's Berry Farm.

And photos from Great American Thrill: http://greatamericanthrills.net/2016/03 ... l-project/

img_12561-e1459360840767.jpg

Here is what that plot division looks like when overlaid with the actual park map.

map_overlay.jpg

cga-notice.png

cga-entertainment-district.png

cga-ride-proposals.png

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Wow, this is huge!

I'm very excited for this park's future, as it's one of the neglected parks by Cedar Fair. Maybe a B&M Hyper is in the future?

davidm

Strata Poster
That sounds good - proper investment might pull this park up from the low-ranking it continually gets. Years of indecision about the park's future (even its existence) while all that stadium business was going on finally over?

Some people I have a work-connection with work in an office overlooking the park so I'll get them to send me constructions updates ;-)

(in like 5 years when any work actually goes ahead that is)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Pink Panther said:
Does this mean the actual theme park is getting smaller to make way for the entertainment complex?

Kinda. The actual footprint of the official park will shrink with the creation of the entertainment district, however if you take a closer look at the proposed area, it is all shoppe and entrance area - the only ride to be affected by the new zoning will be the double-decker carousel. So yes, the theme park footprint will shrink, but it will be areas previously not developed or not used to house attractions.

Also, with the acquisition of new property to be soon sold by Santa Clara (the location of which is yet to be disclosed), this could allow the park to expand Theme Park-specific territory.

Now, to the points of specific interest for new rides and ride revamps:

img_12561-e1459360840767.jpg

Area 10: "Steel Coaster" marked as addition. Coupled with the new request for permitting allowing for 200+ft. attractions, it would be easy to envision a B&M Hyper.

Area 11: "Mini Steel Coaster" and "Family Flat Ride"

Area 12: "Vortex Re-Marketing". Floorless rebrand most likely, a la Rougarou.

Area 14: "Ropes Course" and "Dinosaurs Alive! attraction". I pray the ropes course is similar to the Adventure Mountain attraction that was removed far-too-soon from Dollywood.

Area 15: Exanded Planet Snoopy

Area 17: Lots of new water park additions, including a Master Blaster, Plunge Tower, and Lazy River.

The best news is the back and forth between Cedar Fair and Santa Clara over the 49ers Football Stadium is over, and they are now committed to working jointly for many years to come.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
When I first saw how the Columbia Carousel will be affected, my heart dropped. It's a huge icon. Removing it is the worst idea for the park.

But then I noticed that it said it'll have an upgraded fountain and will be suitable for shows. SFGAm has a little concrete platform in front of their Columbia Carousel, so maybe they'll get a bit of a larger one?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I noticed that too - the Columbia Carousel appears to be the only ride that would be in the newly rezoned entertainment district. I could not imagine their removing it - it is afterall one of two tallest carousels in the world, and the most historic attraction at the park. Rather, I would believe they'd look to integrate it into the entertainment district, or somehow cordone it to still be accessible from the theme park area.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
I've never been so I don't know about space or anything, but would it be possible for a B&M hyper to go from the area 10, over Demon, along behind Demon then turn round? Like Goliath at La Ronde? Or would it not be enough space?

Ben

CF Legend
They're gonna need a whole lot of glitter to make that **** sparkle.

But a B&M hyper would be a good start.

I'm not holding my breath that the red headed step child of the Cedar Fair chain will get anything good. Well I suppose at least it isn't Michigan's Adventure.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
More details were released when California’s Great America held a special meeting with the City of Santa Clara Planning Commission to review and approve the park’s 2016-2036 plan. In addition to new roller coasters and thrill rides, the plan includes the water park expansion as well as an entertainment complex in the front of the park and a new front entrance. The updated plans include a B&M hyper coaster, an Intamin impulse coaster, a large wooden coaster, a Vekoma Suspended Family Coaster, a kiddie woodie, a Star Flyer, a Mondial Revolution and a Sling Shot as new additions. The commission will convene again on 25. January to accept or deny the proposal, so it won't be long before we find out if the park's ambitions could become a reality.

Below are some of the highlights of the 124 page packet the park presented to the commission. The pdf can be downloaded from the Planning Commission Meeting's agenda.

map.jpg

profile.jpg

major.jpg

coasters.jpg

woodie.jpg

thrills.jpg

family.jpg

kiddie.jpg

water1.jpg

water2.jpg

water3.jpg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Good find Jerry, and excited to see more clarity to the new coaster lineup.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Ooh! I wonder who they were thinking for the wooden coaster, since as they already have a GCI :) Would be amazing if this gets approved.

Lofty

CF Legend
You'd think that Cedar Fair would have better presentation techniques for their upcoming investments ;)

Matt N

CF Legend
CA's Great America just filed permits for a 236ft tall thrill ride for 2020. So the question is Star Flyer or Hyper? Both are in the park's master plan so I'm pretty certain it will be one of those. Thoughts?

Edit, here's the link to the permit: http://coaster-nation.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/hershey-form-1.jpg

Merged to the pre-existing topic. -GWAS
Please be a Hyper. Pretty please be a B&M hyper. Even though it will be years before I visit CGA, if ever, I want more B&M hypers in the world after riding Mako. That ride was so great and so smooth with so much airtime to boot! An attraction like it would be a great fit for CGA, as other than possibly their woodies, they don't have an airtime machine in their lineup. But would Cedar Fair give them a coaster just two years after RailBlazer, though? They did it for Cedar Point, but Cedar Point is quite clearly Cedar Fair's crown jewel, so I'm not sure if California's Great America is significant enough to Cedar Fair to warrant 2 coasters in 3 years.

Reactions: JSM

Efan

Mega Poster
I really doubt they would to be completely honest, a hyper so soon after such a big investment would be a pretty bad business investment imo. The fact that it's the exact height of a Star Flyer gives it away for me. Plus adding a hyper and then a star flyer would make much less of an impact than making people wait for the hyper.