What's new

California: Disneyland, Day One

Edward M

Strata Poster
A little note before I start the report. It has been a while since I wrote a trip report, but my reports tend to be long and without pictures (as you can see). I will bold ride names for anyone just interested in the ride reviews. For anyone else, hope you enjoy!

Well, recently, my mom and I went on a trip to California to visit some colleges. I had applied to a lot of colleges up there in the LA, San Diego, and San Francisco area. Obviously, I had to visit some parks while over there. We had it all planned out and were ready to go about 2 weeks before. Then, nearly our entire town got sick. All my friends had some variation of the flu or strep throat or just some virus. We both got a nasty case of strep, and I was really unsure if we could make it. We started antibiotics and tried to fight it, but we were going to be going to California pretty sick. We pushed it back one day to get just a bit more rest before we headed out. I have to admit I was feeling pretty good that morning at 3:30 am. We had to make a 5:30 am flight to LA and were both groggy. I couldn’t even sleep on the flight from a mixture of slight nausea and insomnia. So I had 4 hours of sleep under my belt when we arrived at 8:30 am at LAX.

We got an uber and got to our hotel in Burbank. We were both tired but also very hungry. We got a great breakfast at the nearby Another Broken Egg Cafe and thought about what to do next. My mom was a lot sicker than I was and was wanting the comfort of the bed. For me, I was a mixture of extremely tired and extremely excited. I had gotten a 2 day ticket for Universal since it was only about $10 more, and we were close to the park. I just decided to go ahead and go. I got an uber over there and got in at about 11 am. The park had opened at 9 and the waits were, well, pretty much nonexistent. It was predicted to rain a bit that day with a gray sky. I thought I would be going straight back to the lower lot, but I found myself wanting to just go ahead and get Harry Potter out of the way.

I immediately noticed just how small the park is. Everything was cramped together and each pathway was pretty small. Luckily, with the lack of people, this wasn’t a problem at all. I went into Hogsmeade and immediately saw the similarities between the Orlando one. It is a bit tinier but is practically the same at the end of the day. The lack of Dragon Challenge made the whole thing seem a lot smaller, but it was actually really nice. Their castle lacks the grandiosity of Orlando’s (maybe it’s just me). In general, everything in USH is just a smaller version of Orlando’s. Not a problem really, just a point.

Well, I took the single rider line for Harry Potter and walked right on. Now, this is controversial, but I never really loved Orlando’s version. It had a great concept and technology; it just didn’t deliver on the execution for me. The illusion just didn’t work that well for me when I last rode. However, I think I finally got the hype after many, many rides on Hollywood’s. They added a lot of small things that really improved the ride experience to me. The small details like sight lines or extra animatronics make all the difference for me. The projections were crisper, the movements better, and many effects that didn’t work or even exist at Orlando’s worked beautifully here. It just felt much newer and overall better. It was likely that the ride had opened only about 7 months earlier compared to 7 years over in Orlando. This version just felt very “complete,” and it is now one of my favorite rides I’ve ridden. I am going to ride the Orlando version again in a few weeks, so I will see if it holds up after having ridden this newer version.

I got two more rides and each one grew on me more. The integration of screen and practical sets is absolutely amazing. The way the vehicles can get right into the screens creates a great immersion, and they can get so close to the animatronics. It is just all so exciting and well done. If you haven’t ridden this, I would highly recommend it. It is one of the best rides ever made. After that, I thought it was time to go ahead to the lower lot. I wanted to knock out the Hippogriff coaster, but it had a 35 minute wait. No thanks. I went to the escalator and then to another and then to another... and then to another... and then to another. It really does take a solid 5 to 10 minutes just to get down there; it is quite the hill. It is also quite steep which makes you thankful for the escalators on the way back up. Still, I thought it built excitement for riding Jurassic Park since you get closer and closer to the main building, and it seems to get bigger and bigger.

My first stop was Jurassic Park, and I hopped in the single rider line. No wait in the standby either though. They put me in the front row which made me a tad nervous. It wasn’t cold by any means, but it was not the kind of weather where you want to get soaked. Still, I couldn’t reject a front seat on Jurassic Park. If you’ve ridden the ride, you know how it goes. Tranquil boat ride gone wrong. I always liked the Orlando version, but I had my fair share of qualms with the ride. I think I prefer the Hollywood version by a small bit, but they are really about the same. The animatronics in the beginning are much more fluid and just generally look better. However, Hollywood’s version has one raptor for some reason in a lame sliding effect and an odd appearance from the T-Rex in the ceiling. I also felt Hollywood’s drop was weaker. I'm not sure, but there are little differences here and there that I like more at each one. Still, they really are about the same.

Overall, I really like these Jurassic Park rides. They are nice, simple fun. They have nice build up and a fun conclusion. After that, I went on to Revenge of the Mummy. I had heard bad things about Hollywood’s, but I was still excited since I love the Orlando version. However, they were right; it was just awful. Absolutely pathetic in every sense for me. The beginning has no build up and just puts you right into a room full of mummies. Then you just launch right into the coaster portion. The coaster portion was weak and had a slow backwards portion. Then, it just… ends. Yawn. What **** . I would rather have ET Adventure or, really, just about anything else. Still makes me mad that Japan got Space Fantasy while US got… this.

After that, I went to the last ride at the Lower Lot: Transformers. Yet again, no line. I am a big fan of the Transformers ride though I think it is pretty weak compared to Spiderman. I guess it just bothers me that it doesn’t do anything different really despite being made 12 years after Spidey. Still, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it I guess. Much like Spiderman, there are moments where it just amazes me how much you just feel right there in the action. The immersion remains amazing though it lacks the practical sets of Spiderman or HP. Overall, it really is a ton of fun and one of the best simulators out there.

I don’t want it to seem like I dislike any of these rides; I just don’t want to constantly give out compliments and say it’s great. I think most people are aware these are quality rides, and I think the issues are more interesting than just saying how great it is.

Anyway, I got two more rides on Transformers before heading on up to the Upper Lot. Simpsons was a 40 minute wait, and everything else was about 5 or 10. I decided to just go ahead and do the Studio Tour. I have to say, I really enjoyed this. I am a movie buff, so I loved being in these sets and learning how many places filmed here. There was a certain excitement to the tour with all of the actual people working there. I all felt so lively. The just insane amount of history there is so fascinating to me. The backlot section really makes the entire ride. As for the ride sections, they were, well, hmm. They're all so different it is likely best to take them one at a time. First, there was the Kong encounter. It just didn’t work for me. I was on the very side, so I was able to see that there was a lot of space between me and the actual screen. Therefore, absolutely no illusion. Still, I enjoyed it and thought it was good fun. Not much but was a nice distraction I guess. Next was Earthquake which I loved. Really cool how much it does and how many times it has to do it. It truly is just a huge show room with tons of effects, but, by the end, the amount of stuff going on is just outrageous. It was cheesy and just good fun. Then, Fast and Furious. Oh goodness. This was bad. It had so much backstory, and all of it was just boring. The whole pre-show really takes a solid 10 minutes. However, the entire plot could be said in a sentence. Your tram has someone important in it; we need to get you out of here safe from the bad guy. Then the main show. It was just a worse version of Kong. However, I wouldn’t have hated it much if it hadn’t have been for where I sat. I sat right by the mister so I got a face full of mist every 10 seconds. Then I got water in my eye (somehow through my 3D glasses). It was just unpleasant for me. It just really baffles me how bad the ride is. Lets hope that the USF version is something completely different. Anyway, the studio tour is still one of the top attractions at USH. I absolutely loved (most of) it.

After that, I got on Hippogriff since it had no wait. Nice little kid’s coaster. Longer than most but not much to say about it. I wasn’t sure what to do next. I decided to do Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem. I loath minions, but I had never been on it in Orlando since it was consistently the longest wait in the park. I luckily only waited 10 minutes. It was odd though. Despite there actually being a wait building up outside, they only used the top 2 rows of seats. There were 3 rows just empty below us. I just didn’t get it. As for the ride itself, it was cute I guess. Not much. Just a simple simulator and not really a very good one at that. I liked that it wasn’t all about minions and actually focused on the kids and Gru. God I hate minions.

The last ride in the area I really wanted to do was Walking Dead. I saw the first season but didn’t see any more after that. However, I like scare attractions, so I was excited to see one. Especially since I have never been to Halloween Horror Nights. It’s good. A few good scares and very long. Can’t ask for much more.

Well, after that, I got a few more rides on Harry Potter and finally got lunch (at 3 pm). I thought about doing Shrek 4D or Simpsons, but it just seemed like both would be so time consuming. I was ready to get back to the hotel. I still had another day to do Shrek and Simpsons, so I didn’t feel too much pressure.

I have to say though. I sort of went to Universal as a “check it off the list” type park. It really didn’t offer any unique attractions beside the studio tour, and it is usually just seen as the smaller and worse version of Universal Studios Florida. This is likely going to be an unpopular opinion, but I actually preferred Universal Studios Hollywood to USF. I think it may be that I went on two days when no one was there compared to how I usually visit USF in the hot, busy summer. However, I’ve always disliked the atmosphere of USF. It always felt very concrete and fake. It lacked what I loved so much about IOA. I just like feeling like I’m being brought into another world whether it be imagined or real. I mean, sure, I don’t really believe I’m entering Jurassic Park at IOA, but I still prefer the theming and immersion of the land to the facades of USF. USF has that amazing Diagon Alley section, but the rest of the park just didn't offer anything to me. Ok then, what does this have to do with USH. Well, I felt USH was much more authentic and genuine. It wasn’t an imitation of the Hollywood backlot; it WAS a Hollywood backlot. The small park size meant that often sight lines were broken, but this kind of added to the character for me. It all truly felt like the backlot that surrounded it. In a sense, this isn’t what they were going for. However, I can’t help but enjoy it more. I just really loved walking around USH while I rather dislike walking around USF. I’ve always disliked Studio themed parks really. The “magic of filmmaking” isn’t as fun as the “magic of films.” However, USH didn’t need to theme their park to a studio. It is an actual studio. To me, I guess I can just forgive USH’s faults more easily than USF. For such a lack of land, they really have a pretty amazing park. Well themed with some fantastic rides. That said, it really needs a good family ride or maybe a good coaster. It would never happen, but I could just see an amazing coaster going down that steep hill from the upper lot to the lower lot. Despite its faults, Universal Studios Hollywood ended up being my favorite new park of the trip.

Anyway, I called an uber and was absolutely exhausted. I went back to the hotel and laid down when it started to rain pretty hard. I took a quick nap before we went for dinner. That night, I was both exhausted and restless. I was going to my most anticipated park in the US, Six Flags Magic Mountain, the next day.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Interesting to hear your opinions. They sound perfectly reasonable, and you've done a reasonably good job of explaining why you liked (or didn't) a particular thing.

I never made it to Universal while I was in LA, I opted for Knotts and SFMM instead, so maybe a park I will need to check off at some point. Looking forward to hearing about your day at SFMM.

Lofty

CF Legend
I really liked your review, not just did you state your opinion but you backed it up with relevant comments as to why - really liked it.

I do agree with you about Forbidden Journey in Orlando. I've said numerous times now that whilst it is absolutely brilliant, it feels like it's lacking 'something' for cohesively immersing guests into the narrative (you see the car ahead or behind you, there's complete black spots etc.).

Edward M

Strata Poster
Same as last time. Bold names for ride reviews.

Well, I was very eager that morning to get onto Six Flags Magic Mountain. So, I got a quick breakfast and got an uber without any hesitation. It was a long ride to Six Flags since it really is quite out of the way. However, I loved the ride simply because the scenery was beautiful. I got dropped off to a pretty full plaza area. It was only 10:00 and the park opened at 10:30. Time faded away more and more as we got closer to 10:30. I spent most of that time between my phone and staring intently at X2. For nearly a decade now, X2 has been near the top of my list of coasters to ride. It just looked like the exact kind of ride I would love. However, for those thirty minutes, there was no testing. Wasn’t looking good.

I decided to go to Revolution first after having heard the nightmare stories of its VR operations. However, Classic Revolution was running without VR. Fine with me (though I still haven’t experienced VR on a coaster and actually want to). The wait was only about 5 minutes and the staff was already running two trains and getting them out fast. The ride itself was very nice. Smooth and one of the better Schwarzkopfs I’ve been on. That loop really is just so good and the whole layout is nice and pleasant. I don’t think it is anything special however I really enjoyed it.

After that, I headed to X2 to see if it was open. No luck on that front. They sited high winds as the issue. I thought I would try my luck over at Twisted Colossus. I headed over to that area of the park and went back through the plaza. It is an odd park since it is mostly a big circle surrounding Superman on that hill. It isn’t huge or anything, but it takes quite a while to get to a ride of the other side of that hill. I saw that Goliath looked pretty empty and just hopped in line for that. In line, I downloaded the app to get some wait times. To my surprise, X2 had come up and had a 45 minute wait. However, both Colossus and Full Throttle were at 75 minutes. I looked around the park map to see a few coasters were closed. Tatsu, Riddler’s Revenge, and Apocalypse were all closed for refurbishment. This wasn’t too shocking since I saw it on their site. However, Green Lantern and Lex Luthor were also both closed for the day. I was very excited to ride both of them, so this was very disappointing. I decided I would probably need a Flash Pass because more and more people were flooding in. The whole week in LA had supposedly been quite rainy and cloudy, but today the sun was out. This meant the crowds were out too. I saw this in the Goliath queue too. It was only about 10 minutes, but, when I left, it had jumped to easily 45 minutes. To my surprise, the front seat had a very short wait, so I hopped in that line. I was able to get on the next train with another single rider.

So, Goliath surprised me. I had been on Titan about 12 years before and loved it. However, I have heard nothing about those two coasters since but “meh.” I went in with no expectations really. However, there just really is such speed to this thing. Being in that front seat going so fast just made me feel so alive. That hill had some good airtime too. Sadly, that brake run kills a lot of momentum. You are truly crawling out of that thing. Still, the conclusion with those mess of helixes makes up for it. Is it the best hyper? Of course not. Most B&M Hypers are far better. However, I like that it tried something different. It went for the big positive G approach, and I feel it did very well with it. Unlike Raging Bull (from what I’ve heard), it really does its elements with insane ferocity. It lies around my top 25.

I headed to the Flash Pass place and waited in a 10 or so minute line for the Pass. It was quite long, so I guess I wasn’t the only one with the idea. I still think it is just ludicrous that I had to spend $75 to be able to really do anything that day, but that is how it is. Later on that day, I would realize this was likely the best decision I had made all day. So, I looked at the Flash Pass options and saw that Full Throttle had the longest wait (30 minutes). The only two rides not on the FP were Superman and Revolution. I decided to head to Superman and knock that one out. The wait was 40 minutes compared to 90+ at nearly everything else (for reference, the app only said 90+ for when it was above that). I took the funicular thing and exited right by Ninja. I thought about hopping on since it only had a 20 minute wait, but it was on the FP. Superman seemed like a priority. The wait was spilling outside the building which had my worried. Still, I stuck it out. A friend of mine called, and that helped the time pass quickly. It was, however, a solid 40 minute wait, and it moved S…L…O…W….

Superman was likely the biggest disappointment of the day. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but I just wanted more than THIS. Its launch is quite weak and takes a long time to speed up. The climb up and fall down really lacked any forces or thrill since the bulking restraints really didn’t make anything seem “crazy.” Then it slowly brakes and is over. They rush you out of there too. Just could have been more I guess. For the most dominating structure in the park, it really is pretty bad.

So, I took the funicular back down to the plaza in order to hop onto Full Throttle. The Flash Pass let me bypass a LONG wait. Looked to be around 150 minutes. It was extending very, very far away from the queue. Still, I got on the coaster pretty quick, and it was pretty fantastic. The initial launch really has a great kick to it. It is followed by the highlight, that loop. The hangtime on that thing really is madness. You feel like you are up there for a long time, and the view down is very high. Really a great “wow” moment. Then it twists into that thing in the tunnel. The backwards launch was pretty great and provided a really fun element to the ride. Since it is so short, it really needed that extra bit of something to it. It also had very good hang time in the inversion towards the back. Then it launches into the hill over the loop which was fantastic. A shocking amount of ejector airtime on that hill. It is a great coaster. A good addition to a lineup that was already fantastic.

After that, I looked at the waits. I saw that X2 was an 1 hour and 45 minute wait on that Flash Pass. That meant the standby was around 210 minutes. I booked that quickly and went to the app to see what I could possibly do to fill that time. I’m not exaggerating when I saw everything was at 90+. Log Flume, Batman, Ninja, Scream, Colossus, and even Gold Rusher. I knew then I would certainly be staying until 6 pm to get these creds. First, I thought I ought to just get some lunch. I went to some asian restaurant by Viper. It was alright going down, but I just felt so sick a bit later. I went ahead to Viper since it only had a 50 minute wait. However, I saw a single rider line was being used. Jackpot! I pretty much walked on. Sadly, this seemed to be the only single rider queue in use in the park. Parks really should invest more in these. Every train I see with empty seats just makes me think of how great single rider lines can be for a coaster. Get them out there!

Anyway, Viper was **** . I think it may be because I was kind of sick from the food or just wasn’t prepared, but my neck got quite the beating. Those first three loops and turn were just brutal. The batwing wasn’t too bad, but the corkscrews were just icing on the cake. It may have been a bad seat or something, but I just hated it. Certainly the worst Arrow looper I’ve been on.

After that, I knocked out the kiddie coasters. They were all about a 15 minute wait. I quite honestly don’t really remember much about them. Road Runner Express was pretty good, and I kind of loved Canyon Blaster. It really threw you around over those little hills. Part of me wanted to ride it again. The Speedy Gonzales was meh. And I couldn’t do that Magic Flyer cause I was too tall. Ok, that’s about it with that one.

Well, the lunch and coasters took up a pretty good amount of time. It was about time for me to get on X2 actually. I decided to just go ahead and go to the FP entrance and wait for my time. I had five minutes left, so I just waited in the shade for the thing to buzz. Sure enough it did. The girl working there told me to put my things in the locker. However, they were $1 and the line to get them was surprisingly long. I decided to chance it and ride with all my things. I had napkins in my pocket, so I surrounded my phone and charger with them. It was very tight in my pocket, so I felt confident they would be alright. The front seat had a very short line, so I of course chose that. It bothered me that they only ran one train when the wait was at least 3 hours at this point. They just stood around between dispatches. Still, I couldn’t be too bothered. I was about to ride the coaster I anticipated more than any other in the world.

Oh X2. You beautiful thing you. I quite simply love everything about this coaster. First, the lift hill is accompanied by a fantastic soundtrack. I was just giddy at the build up it provided. Then you slowly get tipped back, and I knew it was coming. The way you are hung over that drop looking straight down 200 feet. It is my favorite moment on any coaster. It is the only time I’ve ever screamed on a coaster. The ride truly felt wild. Not unsafe or dangerous but just wild. Then you get flipped and hit the bottom of that drop and are hit with such intense forces. Then, you are hung above looking yet again down 150 feet. After that, it was just a blur of amazement. Going in different positions and being flipped and then that last half loop which threw my legs around like a useless rag doll. Then, it was over. I was simply blown away, and I would say it is the single best ride I’ve ever had on a coaster. It is so close to being my number one. So so close. However, I still put Lightning Rod at number one simply because I got so many more rides in such a special atmosphere. Those night rides being able to go over and over. With X2, I feel that it would likely never be able to match that first time. Where I just had no idea what was happening or what to do. It was a sensory overload that I’m unsure any ride could top, not even itself. I’m afraid I would be able to predict it. In my heart, I feel that X2 should be number one, but in my mind, I know that Lightning Rod is my number one. Really, I would say it is almost a tie between the two. It’s hard to say. They really are both so amazing for such different reasons. I think X2 thrives on its imperfections and just how brutal, rough, and unpredictable it is while Lightning Rod is really just about perfect. Not rough at all and totally calculated to provide a perfect amount of airtime, speed, and sensations. I can’t think of any enthusiast that wouldn’t love the LR while I imagine a lot wouldn’t like X2. Idk, this is almost rambling at this point, so I will wrap it up. X2 is a coaster unlike any other I’ve been on. A true experience through and through. I hope that I can ride Eejanaika this summer as that seems to be the only coaster that could beat X2 on wildness.

I was almost in shock after X2. I had booked Twisted Colossus for about an hour and a half from then, but I didn’t really know what to do. Part of me just wanted to sit down and take in the experience. However, I had a lot more coasters to knock out, so I just got on out. I took the funicular again since it is truly so easy and convenient. I thought about getting Ninja, but that line was extending pretty far out of the entrance. I ultimately went with Gold Rusher after seeing Scream was also extending into the main plaza.

Gold Rusher was luckily only about 20 minutes to wait for. While Viper is my least favorite coaster in the park, Gold Rusher is likely the worst. While it was not too bad in the front seat, it really was just unpleasant. Really rough and clunky. I can appreciate these Arrow mine trains for their place in roller coasters’ history. However, they really are just bad. The helix at the end was nice, but most of it was just unpleasant. Not sure what else to say. Bleh.

After that, I decided to just go ahead and do Jet Stream (the log flume). It had a queue that was actually within its pin and looked pretty short. While the line moved pretty slow, it wasn’t too bad of a wait. About 30 minutes or so. The ride itself was pretty crap honestly. I quite like most of Six Flags log flumes actually. I just love log flumes. However, this one just seemed kind of dirty and pointless. Other Six Flags parks usually have log flumes going through scenery or something. However, this one just had a small drop then just went on to the big drop. Not really much to it. I liked the drops and always like how log flumes kind of bump up to the edge of their chutes when moving around (maybe it’s just me, but I love when they do that!). Not much to say but simple.

Well, it was Twisted Colossus time now! The new area they made for the ride is easily the nicest in the park. Decently themed and just looks new and clean (unlike everywhere else). Pretty much walked right into the station with the FP. I got the back row, and we were sent off. I think a play by play type review probably isn’t right for TC. For me, this coaster is really good but just not great. It felt like you rode half of a roller coaster twice instead of one full coaster with a break. I’m not really sure what to say about it other than I just felt it didn’t really do anything amazing. It had a few great airtime moments, but, other than that, nothing about it really wowed me. This was the first RMC I’ve done where I came off disappointed.

Before getting on the ride, I had reserved a spot on Scream! since it was not only nearby but only a 10 or so minute FP wait. I only had two more coasters to complete (that were open). I went up to Scream and waited for my thing to buzz, so I could ride. I got a back row seat and was sent right off. Now, I have a soft spot for B&M loopers. There is just something about that snap and force that they have that I love. I would say Scream is among my favorites. It was just such a pleasant experience for me. The whole thing I just loved. Each inversion had a great snap to it, and the whole thing was nice and smooth. This is likely my second favorite floorless coaster behind Superman SFFT. It really is just pleasant.

Well, I had booked Batman: The Ride before getting on Scream. It had about a 20 minute wait before I could get on. I went over and got a bottled water and just sat on a bench to wait. The sun was starting to set, and it was actually quite pleasant. I went on to Batman and got a middle row seat since it was going on the next train. Now, I’m going to be honest. I hate Batman clones. I used to not, but I just hate them at this point. I have no issue with intensity on inverted rides. Rides like Montu or Afterburn are both very intense, but there is more to them other than intensity. They feel like a full and complete ride. Batman is just constant intensity. My feet feel like they are trying to separate from my body. Every moment something hurts. Whether it be my head or my feet. Whenever I ride them now, I just can’t wait for them to be over. I just think that is the sign of a ride I hate. Perhaps it is just a few models though. I distinctly remember enjoying the ones at Fiesta Texas and St. Louis. I guess I’ll see, but I’ll be skipping this specific coaster next time I visit.

Well, there was only one coaster left, and I had gotten a reservation. I headed on the slightly long trek to Ninja as the day slowly turned to night. It really was a pretty sight. While the park is outdated and dirty, it has some beauty to it. More on that later. I got to Ninja, and they put me in the front row. Yay! I usually quite like suspended coasters, and Ninja is supposed to be among the best. I can say it is. It doesn’t really swing much, but the scenery and setting really shined in that early night lighting. It just is a pleasant memory for me. The ride itself isn’t very special; it has some good swing to it. However, that setting really sticks in my mind.

Well, I looked at my FP and saw that all the rides had NONE on them. That was a sign it was time to go. The park closed at 6:30, and it was 6. I had done all I wanted to do that day.

Now, my day at Six Flags Magic Mountain was a mixed bag. On the one hand, the waits were outrageous, and the staff was mostly inefficient. I understand the need to refurbish rides but to have 5 major rides closed is simply ludicrous. Especially when your other rides are posted at over 90 minute waits. However, my top 35 or so got a LOT of additions. While nothing really “wowed” me other than X2, the other good rides were VERY good. The lineup really is fantastic, and I imagine those 5 closed rides (ESPECIALLY Tatsu) would have made the park’s coaster lineup even better. I am planning on coming back to the park at some point in the future. I can ride the rides I missed and reride some great ones. Now, this was just my day. How is SFMM has a whole? Well, it is lacking. Sure, it has a great lineup of coasters, but, other than coasters, it really has nothing at all. I think parks need more than roller coasters, and this park is REALLY lacking that. Sure, Justice League is a nice addition and a much needed dark ride, but I think another flat ride package would be even more beneficial. Just something other than a roller coaster to help with crowds. The park itself is pretty dirty, at least on my visit. There are two fantastic areas, the entrance plaza and the Steampunk District. They are both very new looking with attempts at theming. They were both the areas I found myself most drawn towards. The other areas really look faded and old. I found the worst culprit was the poor X2 and Viper area. I think the park could just use a little more maintenance and perhaps a few more paint jobs. Not even on the coasters but on the stuff around them. Parks are more than the amount of coasters you can stick in them, and I hope SFMM can amount to more than that. It has a lot of potential, but it just needs some fixing up. I’ll end it there.

The rest of my evening was spent at Universal. I’ve already shared my opinions of the park above, so I won’t bore you. Highlights were getting about 10 rides on Harry Potter (they opened the staff door to just let me on right there). I got a boat to myself at Jurassic Park, but it kept getting stuck. I was on the ride a solid 15 minutes. I was almost evacuated at one point. It’s funny; I started to get scared on the ride. With literally no one else there, these giant dinosaurs kept just coming to life and coming at me as I sat there alone in this boat. I knew I wasn’t in danger, but it just went from deadly quiet with these lights blaring to alarms going haywire when a boat was coming and a T-Rex screaming at you. Lastly, I got 6 rides on Transformers where they (yet again) opened the staff door and just let me walk right back on. It was a great night and cemented USH as a personal favorite park of mine. I will see everyone next time with a report from Knott’s Berry Farm.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Sadly, this seemed to be the only single rider queue in use in the park. Parks really should invest more in these. Every train I see with empty seats just makes me think of how great single rider lines can be for a coaster. Get them out there!

Magic Mountain is actually very good with single rider. Six Flags in general is actually pretty good with them in a lot of their parks, arguably better than any other chain after Universal. It's just that they're mostly on rides that were closed on the day that you went, and they're not very visible for the most part, which is actually a good thing.

Revolution has it, but since you got there early, you didn't need it. You noticed Viper's. Riddler's Revenge, Lex Luther and Green Lantern all have it as well. I walked onto all three, on a busy day, avoiding 60-120 minute queues.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Magic Mountain is actually very good with single rider. Six Flags in general is actually pretty good with them in a lot of their parks, arguably better than any other chain after Universal. It's just that they're mostly on rides that were closed on the day that you went, and they're not very visible for the most part, which is actually a good thing.

Revolution has it, but since you got there early, you didn't need it. You noticed Viper's. Riddler's Revenge, Lex Luther and Green Lantern all have it as well. I walked onto all three, on a busy day, avoiding 60-120 minute queues.

Ya, that is a good point. I may just be salty that all of them were closed.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Yeah, it's unacceptable to have that much down on the same day really. Single rider on those rides was a lifesaver. I'd never have considered waiting 90 minutes for a Zacspin, and walking straight past Riddler's 2-hour queue was great. I have no idea why they weren't being used by more people. I can only assume that people didn't know about them since they're separate from the main queue entrances. At Universal a couple of days before, lots of groups were using/abusing single rider to cut down their waiting time.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Well, our plan that day was fairly simple. Check in at the Grand Californian then go to Knott’s. We did exactly that. It was around 11 when we arrived. The park had been open for a solid hour, but there were maybe 5 people at the entrance. In fact, if someone told me 500 people were there all day, I wouldn’t be too surprised. It was *empty*. I’ve never been to a park this dead. It was a Tuesday in off season (Valentine’s Day in fact), so the waits weren’t too surprising. However, I was still expecting more than this.

I went ahead to Ghostrider, and I noticed just how well themed everything was. Not even *good for a regional park* type theming but just really good. The ghost town area had had a huge overhaul last year, and it really shows. This is easily the best area of the park and is nearly Disney/Universal quality. Probably more comparable to something like Silver Dollar City or Dollywood. The Ghostrider queue had a lot of pins, and I was walking right past all of them. I imagine that the park can get quite crowded considering just how much queue most of the rides have. I got to the train just as it was taking off and chose the back row. While they were running one train operation, any more would have been ridiculous. They were sending out most trains with empty seats, so I can’t fault the park for the one train operation.

Ghostrider is very good. I have heard some call it one of the best wooden coasters and some say one of the worst. I’m more towards the middle, but I think this is one of the better rides at the park. This felt very much like a mix between CCI and GCI. With CCI’s bigger hills and traditional out and back approach, but also with GCI’s smoothness, turns, and trains. It had a good amount of airtime, but it was mainly just very fun. It is the kind of ride I could see myself marathoning at a local park. My main gripe with Ghostrider is that Knott’s didn’t go with an RMC. Now that Cedar Fair is getting into the RMC game, it is a shame that they didn’t let Ghostrider get that treatment. It is still a good ride, but it is no RMC. Still, can’t fault the ride for not being an RMC. Second best coaster here by a long shot.

Next, I decided to go to Sierra Sidewinder. I had heard some very bad things about the capacity here, but it was another walk on. The ride packs quite a punch for a family coaster. I would honestly say it packs a punch for really any coaster. Those turns were pretty intense, and the spinning got crazy towards the end. One of the better family coasters out there.

Well, I headed towards Timberline Twister next. I was hoping to get my 200th credit that trip, and I needed 8 in Knott’s to get it that day. While walking to the coaster, I noticed just how nice Camp Snoopy is. Most of the other ones I’ve seen have been alright, but they are mostly just a lot of kid’s rides in one cramped area. Sure, this was certainly that, but there was a great amount of theming put in all the surrounding areas. I could just imagine it would be really cool to explore this area as a kid. It just made me happy. Well, I got to Timberline Twister and was rejected for being too tall. Boo. That thing looked so weird and crazy.

Well, I had seen that Montezooma’s Revenge was going to be closed, and it was the only coaster closed all day (take note SFMM). The rapids were also closed, but this was nothing compared to 5 MAJOR rides closed the day before. Still a bit mad about that one but anyways. I thought about getting Xcelerator as my 200th, but I was really in the mood to ride. I decided to go ahead and go. I cut through the nice little Spanish section and went ahead to Xcelerator. I saw no one in the station. However, I decided to stop at Supreme Scream first.

I must admit; I am a sucker for a drop ride. So when I saw Knott’s huge Supreme Scream with nobody there, I knew I had to ride. I’m unsure if it is like Cedar Point’s with different types (drop or launch up), but the drop was the only one operating. I walked right on, and I enjoyed it a lot. It is very, very big, and you certainly feel the size of it. The drop was great, but there’s not much that memorable about it really. I prefer Intamin drop towers to these S&S slow drops. Still, solid ride.

Xcelerator was next, and it was (shocker) a walk on. I went for the front seat and only had to wait one train to get it. I found out later in the day I actually preferred the ride in the middle oddly. Anyway, the ride is amazing. The second best accelerator after Dragster for me. It has an amazing, amazing launch, and its hill had some good airtime. The last two turns really add to the ride for me. Give it some needed length and excitement. Not too much to say about this one except it’s great.

After that, I went on to Coast Rider. It is a wild mouse with a big drop. Its turns really aren’t as forceful as the regular wild mouse, so I found it a bit boring. It is what it is. (Wish I could have done Perilous Plunge instead). Next, Boomerang. It is a boomerang and a pretty bad one at that. Gave me a headache.

I must say, the back area around Xcelerator is certainly the worst part of the park. It is mainly concrete and the transition from the nice Spanish area is not smooth at all. I’m also not a fan of the Coast Rider and Boomerang area. Hopefully, those extra rides will help they were installing, but it just felt a bit boring to me. However, I actually really liked the area past that around Voyage to the Iron Reef. It’s not too big, but it is just very nice and spacious. Just seems new and clean.

Since it was new and looked pretty good, I got onto Voyage to the Iron Reef. To my surprise, it was actually pretty great. One of the better regional park efforts at a shooting ride. While it isn’t quite on par with Justice League: BFM, it is a better shooting ride with a clear story, goals, and targets. I love Justice League, but it is a bit of a mess quite honestly. This was very long and had a great shooting system. The immersion was a LOT better than I was expecting. There are no bad sight lines where you can see backstage. It is all very well done. The ending was also very fun, with more of a thrill than I was expecting. I would have ridden this again if our time wasn’t a bit limited. I hope these rides make their way to more Cedar Fair parks. One of the best rides in the park.

Next, I moved onto Pony Express. I thought this was pretty fun. Thanks to the unique position, the launch felt quite thrilling and the layout felt more thrilling than it should as well. I like this certain model of coaster actually. They are very good family coasters. The area surrounding the ride is also very cool with a lot of small details and a rapids ride running past (that was closed).

I continued on to Jaguar which a HUGE group of school children was entering right as I was. Luckily, I just beat them to the entrance, but I still had to wait two trains to get on. Can’t complain though since it had been walking on all day long. As for the ride, I can barely remember it. I remember it wasn’t good enough to look up a POV to refresh my memory. It was very bleh.

Well, here we are, the 200th. I had picked Silver Bullet for it. I got the obligatory 200th coaster pic and then went onto the ride. I must say, the plaza for the ride as it goes over the water is quite pretty. I got a back seat for the ride and was sent off. The ride is alright really. It is sort of in the middle of my inverts list. It isn’t bad by any means but isn’t great by any either. It had a solid loop and cobra roll but after that it was meh. Surprisingly, the overbanked turn was the highlight for me. It was a ton of fun. I think it is partly better to watch than it is to ride. It really is a gorgeous coaster and a great centerpiece for the park.

After that, it seemed like an ideal time to eat. We went to this BBQ place that was honestly pretty good. Nice shady spot just sort of looking out at this Ghost Town section. I walked around the Ghost Town area for a bit after that. It really is a very cool area. Well, it seemed like an ideal time to do their log flume. There was more of a line there than most rides. However, it was only about a minute to get on.

Timber Mountain Log Ride is a solid ride. Not anything amazing but good fun. I will always have a soft spot for log flumes, and this is the best non-Disney/Universal one I’ve done. The animatronics are a bit creepy at the beginning as you’re going around the mountain. However, it is nice to just have the wind on your face going around that mountain while getting a panoramic view of the theming and the park itself. The highlight of the ride is certainly after the first drop. There is a great show scene there with good animatronics at a fast pace. It really is quite cool. The final drop is decent. Not really on par with most other log flumes, but it doesn’t really need to be. It is a great family ride more than anything else.

Next door was the Calico Mine Ride. This was the only ride with a real wait. It was a solid 10 minutes. However, this is because the entire ride was only running one train. The trains don’t hold too many, and the ride is long. Still, I can’t blame them. As I’ve said, the park was very empty. As for the ride itself, it was better than expected. It has some quality animatronics and two very good show rooms. One involving a two story “main” area and the other being a lighted cavern area reminiscent of Big Thunder Mountain. What surprised me the most was that the animatronics were really good. Much better than the ones at Timber Mountain next door. It isn’t amazing but is a good ride to have for families.

Well, lastly, I wanted to see the Mystery Lodge show. I didn’t really know anything about it, but it seemed be a relatively liked show. I must say that I absolutely loved this. It is one of my favorite theme park shows. I loved the effects, and the actor did a good job. I mainly just loved the message and the way the story was told. I don’t know what else to say, but I just thought this was great. Also, the area surrounding was quite beautiful albeit a bit small.

Well, that really about wraps up the day. I got about 6 more rides on Xcelerator and one more on the log flume until we had to go. Knott’s Berry Farm is really an absolute delight. It is one of the best mixes of dark rides, theming, and coasters I’ve ever seen. It has a great water ride, dark ride, shooting ride, and multiple good roller coasters. My main qualm would be that it just needs one more great roller coaster. I think an RMC would fit perfectly here or perhaps a B&M Hyper/Giga. It just needs one more noteworthy coaster to really even out its lineup. Overall, Knott’s really does set an example for what regional parks should yearn to be. It is probably Cedar Fair’s best park (though I still prefer Cedar Point) and is in my top 10 parks.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's good to hear that you had a good day. Hopefully makes up for some of the suffering at SFMM!

I had a similar experience at Knotts (everything dead) when I went in January - it must rely a lot more on the summer crowds (I recall it only being open weekends, but I can't remember for sure).

I remember thinking Ghostrider was ****, so I think the re-tracking must have helped! Xcelerator is great, and I too really liked the look of Silver Bullet, although it is reasonably forgettable! :)

Edward M

Strata Poster
Well, if you can’t tell, I’m a big Disney parks fan. I will always love a great coaster, but I tend to prefer a day at a Disney park to one at just about any other park. Well, I would be 18 the 16th of February, and it seemed that would be the ideal time to visit my personal favorite park. I will warn you; this review may contain more comparison and nitpicking simply because, if it didn’t, it would just be me constantly calling everything great. Well, anyway, to the report. As usual, ride reviews in bold for people just wanting those.

I had only been to Disneyland once before, but it certainly left its impact on me. I will always be more of a fan to Disney World as a resort, but I can’t deny that Disneyland park is much better than WDW’s Magic Kingdom. Since I was looking at a college about 15 miles away from it, I knew I had to make a stop. I got up early that day and got everything I needed. Phone, charger, wallet, and ticket. I quickly got downstairs and had about 30 minutes to spare before DCA’s early entry would begin. I got a granola bar from the gift shop to just get something on my stomach. I was surprised at just how crowded the entrance within Grand Californian was. It had a line extending pretty far out. Still, I was there, and I couldn’t change anything about the line. I stuck out the wait, and I was ready to go.

The early entry was opening at 9 am, and I knew I needed to make a beeline to Cars Land. Disneyland was having similar problems to SFMM actually. It had Grizzly River Run, Tower of Terror, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Pirates of the Caribbean, and all of the rides involving the Rivers of America closed. I couldn’t get too mad however since I had A. ridden all of them and B. the waits were short that day. We were stuck in a small plaza around Grizzly River Run, and I just immediately remembered why I loved this park so much. The national parks area really is just a treat to be in. It has a tranquil feel similar to how I’ve always imagined those famous national parks. Well, once they let us through, everyone had the same idea: get to Cars Land. Cars Land immediately put me in the right mood. They had Chuck Berry’s Maybelline playing while the entire area was bathed in the morning sun. Cars Land really is the pinnacle of American Disney Parks. The whole thing is just such a sight that it makes an obviously fictional place feel as real and alive as a city. Well, I dodged away from the 30 minute posted wait into the Single Rider line. I really just walked on at that point.

Radiator Springs Racers is the best ride in any American theme park. I’ve thought a lot about this, and I’m fairly sure of that. The entire scale of it is just beyond belief. The landscape they’ve built feels completely real. I mean every single detail feels in a way authentic. The beginning section is so pleasant with the nice jangly guitar music that really sets the mood. However, that dark ride section is just amazing. The animatronics are beyond belief. They are truly life like. Then, the race section is just good simple fun. A good enough thrill to get me excited but also mild enough for any age to be able to enjoy it. I think my favorite ride at an American Disney park still goes to Splash Mountain at WDW. However, this ride truly is amazing. It is reason alone to make a trip to Disneyland if you are a Disney parks fan.

Well, I went ahead and got a second ride on RSR since it was a walk on for single rider. Next, I decided to go ahead to California Screamin. I walked into the Paradise Pier area and towards the coaster. It was sending out trains with quite a few empty seats which was a sign of a short wait. The Paradise Pier area is a nice little area. It still retains the DCA 1.0 look thanks to its abundance of cheap of flat rides. I wouldn’t say Paradise Pier is anything great though; you can tell it is mainly very cheap rides with a Disney theme. While California Screamin is a very pretty coaster to watch, it isn’t the pinnacle of themed attractions. Overall, I enjoy being in the area and watching the rides and maybe riding a few of them. However, nothing here is really a reason to go to DCA.

California Screamin is good. I think Disney’s coasters work better as themed experiences though. Space Mountain and Expedition Everest are much better than California Screamin or Rock ’n’ Roller Coaster. However, for what it is, California Screamin is really good. It is very long, very smooth, and very fun. It just isn’t too noteworthy really. As a Disney ride, it’s weak, and, as a thrilling coaster, it’s weak. Still, I bet this would be a perfect coaster for a kid’s first loop. I must say though; this is one of the best coasters ever made to watch. Perhaps, the best, I would say. It gives the whole park a lot of charm and life.

After that, I met up with my mom, and we went to Toy Story Mania. When I was here last, the wait was around 30 minutes in the morning, so it was nice to walk right on. Toy Story Midway Mania is a bit of mixed bag for me. On the one hand, it is a ton of fun. I love shooting rides, and this one is very addictive. On the other hand, it is pretty similar to a Wii game, and it usually has one of the longest waits at each resort it is in. Personally, I greatly prefer the Buzz Lightyear rides. Still, I can’t deny that I ride these every trip and always have fun on them.

Well, at that point, it seemed that I had done everything very noteworthy at DCA besides Soarin. I had ridden most of the smaller rides on the last trip and had no desire to reride them. So, we went to get a Cars Land FP. My mom had never ridden it, and I thought she would love it. The wait for the FP looked long but moved very fast. Lastly, we got a World of Color FP for that night. I had seen World of Color: Celebrate before but had heard that the original version was much better. I was very excited to see it.

We decided to go ahead to DL since Soarin was 35 minutes and would have plenty FPs later. Now, DL has a certain charm to it. This is especially prevalent in Main Street. With its pleasant music and nice, small buildings, it really is just a good place to be. I really think every area of Disneyland is something very special. However, the worst one is easily Tomorrowland. While it does feature three amazing rides, the land itself is very confused. It is sort of posing as a Star Wars type area with lots of signage, but it also contains rides from Pixar movies. The worst thing though is just how congested this area gets. Later in the day, this pathway gets far too tight. It is most prevalent in Adventureland and Tomorrowland. I’ve never really had an issue anywhere else interestingly enough. First stop for me was Space Mountain to get a FP for later. I also got a Star Tours FP using my mom’s ticket since she couldn’t ride either (hurts her neck and gives her motion sickness). Next stop was Indiana Jones. This had been my favorite ride last time I visited by a long shot. However, on the way, we both got the craving for a Dole Whip. This is one of the best treats at either American Disney resort. It really is so good and is a must for me on each trip. We sat for a bit in the Tiki Room area eating them and just sort of people watching. It was so pleasant. Adventureland is a very small land, but it really does just have a great feeling to it not found at any other American Disney park. I like the idea of the land being an outpost for adventurers seeking fortunes in the nearby temple. They do great with that concept and go all the way with it.

I wasn’t able to ride Jungle Cruise this trip, but I do have a soft spot for it still. I’m a big fan of bad jokes, and Jungle Cruise is the king of bad jokes. It really is just a simple idea and simple execution. Doesn’t mean it works any less. The ride also takes on new life at night. It feels more like an actual jungle at night since there are no lights apart from those on the boat.

Well, Indiana Jones Adventure was calling. The wait was about 15 minutes which wasn’t a problem at all. Indiana Jones has one of the best queues in the world. Since the ride itself is pretty much outside the park, they take the trek as an opportunity to really get you into the world they’ve created. My favorite room is the one with the skulls and the bamboo spears. So many cool details there. I also love the preshow. It’s a perfect way to get the safety instructions out in a unique and in theming way. Well, to the ride, I would say Indiana Jones just barely edges out Radiator Springs Racers for my favorite ride at DL. The whole thing is just so thrilling and well done. Each scene is memorable in its own special way. My only realm qualm with the ride is that it has a long part just in darkness and then just stops in the darkness abruptly. I really wish they could have done something with that moment. Also, the boulder only worked one of my four rides which is a big issue. When that boulder works, it really makes the ride. Still though, it is an absolute treat and my personal favorite ride at DL.

Well, I wasn’t sure what to do after that though. I had known Pirates of the Caribbean was closed which was quite a bummer. Pirates is such an amazing ride. It is so long with so much theming to it. The sheer length of it is so impressive. I love the section in the caves especially because it is just so full of fun little details. However, the last half is just as memorable. The whole experience really is one of the best ever created. It’s hard to believe the ride 50(!) years old in 8 days. It is still just as amazing as it was then. Just so crazy.

Well, we passed Pirates and went to its spookier younger brother, the Haunted Mansion. The Haunted Mansion is a personal favorite of mine. While I do prefer WDW’s by quite a bit thanks to its inclusion of multiple extra rooms, DL’s is still an absolute treat. I really don’t know what else to say about it. I feel like everybody reading this has likely ridden it and knows just how great it is. And if you haven’t, go ride it!

Well, the fastpasses were almost ready, so we went to get a quick late breakfast at the Mint Julep Bar. The beignets there were delectable. However, I also discovered my favorite place in DL. The nice shady spot that is Mint Julep Bar’s seating area. In general, New Orleans Square is my favorite land at DL. It is so nice to explore and just be in. I especially love the little details all over the second story balconies. These really make the land seem real and lived in. It really has that fast and exciting spirit of New Orleans, but it also has a lot of fun little quiet corners. My favorite thing about Disneyland is just how many small little quiet corners you can find. Anyway, it was fastpass time, so we went ahead back to Tomorrowland.

It was time to ride Hyperspace Mountain. I had been on Space Mountain at DL before and didn’t really love it. As a result, I wasn’t expecting much. Well, this layover has improved the ride extraordinarily. It really just feels like its own thing which I appreciate. The Star Wars music is one of my favorite themes ever, and it is just works so well within Space Mountain. It’s hard to say why it works so well, but it just does. I was in the front seat with the wind in my face just having a blast. I must say I love it that the ride continues to build speed throughout the ride. Perhaps I just got a bad ride last time, but it felt like a totally different ride. I also loved all the effects within the ride involving the other spaceships. It really did give the whole ride a more interactive feel. It felt more like you were really in this battle. I don’t know what else to say, but I just loved it! I quickly nabbed another FP for later.

Next, it was time to do Star Tours. I have been on Star Tours more times than I can remember, but I still really enjoy it. The queue is certainly a favorite of mine. The way it is done with the animatronics interacting with guests is just good fun. As for the ride itself, it is always a really good time. While it is a simple simulator, I do consider it the best (stationary) one. I just think that the combination of Star Wars universe, C3PO animatronic, and simulator work very well. If I went on a trip where Star Tours was closed, I wouldn’t be crushed, but I still ride it every trip I can.

After that, it seemed a good time to eat. We went to Plaza Inn which I had remembered having amazing fried chicken. This trip was certainly not as good as I remembered, but it was still above average chicken. We decided we might as well ride Buzz Lightyear since we were in the area.

Buzz Lightyear is always a favorite of mine at a Disney park. It is just simple fun. I love shooting rides, and this version is certainly the best. I will always have a soft spot for DW’s Buzz since I know all the best targets, but this version is undoubtedly better. The targets were easier to identify, and the guns were detached. It is just a longer and better constructed ride. I had a pretty good score each time which made me feel good. I always enjoy a good competition.

Well, after that, it seemed time to go ahead to Radiator Springs Racers. On the way, we picked up a Soarin FP for later. I looked a bit longingly at Grizzly River Run afterwards. Since two of DCA’s biggest rides were down, Soarin had a very big wait. I really do have a love for rapids rides though. And I distinctly remember Grizzly River Run being the best. That did end up changing when I rode Popeye at IOA again, but I still love GRR! It is like any other rapids ride but just in a lush atmosphere surrounded by redwoods. You get wet but not really soaked which I liked. My main issue was that it had no story. I just want one animatronic bear. Just one! It doesn’t even have to move honestly. I just expect a bear animatronic when the ride is surrounded by a giant bear mountain. It may just be me idk.

Well, of course, Radiator was amazing. My mom loved it, and it is one of her new favorite rides. After that, we went ahead and went back to the hotel. I had done everything I wanted to except a few rides over at Disneyland. It had been a very successful day thus far. My dad had arrived at the hotel at that point. He was flying in since the next day was my 18th birthday. I was glad to see him, but he was looking to sleep before going to the parks. In that case, I headed back to Disneyland to use my Hyperspace Mt FP. The ride was, again, great. I decided to go on to Indiana Jones. On the way, I got my favorite Disney treat in America, a Matterhorn Macaroon. These are so delectable, delicious, and even cute. I love them so much. I also am a big fan of Disneyland churros. Just typing this is making me crave all those Disney treats. I went ahead into the single rider line for Indiana Jones. It was incredibly quick and easy. Yet again, the ride was just amazing.

After that, I went on to Splash Mountain since it was open. I got into the single rider line which took a solid 15 minutes but wasn’t bad at all. As for the ride itself, I’m very mixed on it. Splash Mountain at WDW is my favorite ride at a theme park. It is just perfect for me. The length, thrill, and joyousness really just make it an amazing experience every time for me. This is especially true at night where the entire ride comes to life. I have a LOT of issues with Disneyland’s. The layout is far too short to really get any grasp of a story. It just simply doesn’t get the story across and just seems too rushed. However, I got 2 great rides on it. One was in the morning and the other was at night. These were when the waits were very low. At that point, they slowed down the rush of the ride. It was much easier to enjoy the theming and story. I still think the theming is far behind WDW’s, but I can’t deny just how good it is. With most other Disney rides, I don’t really compare them to their counterparts. I can find things that are better in each version. However, DL’s really is worse to me in nearly every way. The only exception to that is actually the drop. Not having that lap bar makes the drop a lot more thrilling. Still, I would rather have a slightly less thrilling and an overall superior ride. Ok, it sounds like I hate it though, and I really don’t. It is an amazing ride with fantastic animatronics and some of the best music found on any ride. It’s just that it shares the same name and theme as my favorite ride. It’s hard not to compare them!

Anyway, after that, I met up with my mom who was wanting to get back into Disneyland. I quite honestly can’t remember what I did after that. I believe we got a FP to Haunted Mansion and just explored the New Orleans Square. It really is the best area in Disneyland. Just so well themed, personal, and charming. Well, Haunted Mansion was even better the second time. Such a great ride.

We went over to CA Adventure and grabbed another FP to Soarin cause why not? It was time to ride Soarin' Around the World. Now, Soarin is a personal favorite of mine. It is so calm and tranquil. Just having the wind in your face and going over these amazing locations. I like Soarin Around the World a lot. It works especially well at Epcot since that park is all about showcasing the world. I personally hope that CA Adventure gets the California film back though. Soarin Over California is the film I prefer to World actually. It think this may be nostalgia (I have very fond memories of that version), but I think it is mainly that the score was designed around that version. In the World version, they kind of keep that score, but it just doesn’t flow as well as it once did. Soarin Over CA’s original score is my favorite ride theme ever. Bar none for me. I listen to that on Spotify sometimes. I just feel this version lacks the grandness of CA. Every time it starts I just kind of wish it had begun in the clouds and descended onto the Golden Gate Bridge. That was just one of the best openings ever. Ok, that’s enough I believe. Soarin Around the World is a great version and is actually my cousin’s favorite ride ever. He greatly preferred it to the CA version. So, perhaps it is just nostalgia. However, I can’t help how I feel, and that is just simple how I feel.

Well, my mom decided to meet with my dad over at California Adventure. I let them go ahead, and I hopped over to DL. I saw a 25 minute posted line for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and hopped in line. Luckily, it was only about 15 minutes overall. BTMR is a classic really. I was in the front seat which is my favorite since the airtime seems a big stronger up there. BTMR during the day is fun and all, but it really gets wild at night. It’s not an amazing coaster; it’s mainly just a fun Disney experience.

I checked the wait times and saw that Peter Pan's Flight was only a 35 minute wait. I decided to just go ahead and go. Then, I wouldn’t have to worry about it in the morning. The wait was closer to 50 minutes and moved just achingly slow. Peter Pan is my vote for most overrated Disney ride. It is always one of the longest waits at either American Castle park, and it just isn’t worth it. I get how the waits are formed thanks to popularity and low capacity (DW’s lack of dark rides certainly doesn’t help either). However, I just don’t feel like the illusion works. It always feels like I’m on a ride; I’m never flying over London or in Neverland. It is charming of course however, for what the waits are, being charming isn’t enough. It feels more like a historical preservation than a ride to me.

Since the wait had been long, I had been late to meet my dad over at CA Adventure for the FP to Soarin. It’s his favorite ride at Disney as well (though he also prefers the CA version). After that, he decided to call it a night since he had been up so early that day. So, with that, my mom and I headed to Paradise Pier to see World of Color. We tried to eat at Cove Bar, but they had just closed. Instead, we got a bread bowl soup at the Pacific Wharf area. It was actually quite good. I had never really spent any time in the Pacific Wharf area, but I actually really liked it. For being just a big food court, it is very pleasant and has a pretty bay view. Well, after dinner, we got our places at WOC. We waited 30 minutes to see it however the wait went by fast thanks to the Mickey’s Fun Wheel Challenge. It’s a good little game involving the ferris wheel. It is pretty much Simon on a giant wheel.

World of Color is the best show ever made. Oh my gosh, I love it so so much. I have 0 issues with it; it is so amazing. The image created by the water and colors is just breathtaking. This may be the best thing at Disneyland quite honestly. I just don’t know what else to say. The only way to give this show justice is to see it in person. It is truly beyond belief.

Well, that ended our day at DL. Day 2 was coming soon which would be my 18th birthday. Hooray!