Change background image

Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Unknown | Intamin LSM Coaster

Discussion in 'News & Rumours' started by Intricks, Aug 2, 2017.

1. JoshC.

JoshC. Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Sort of.

I've never been sold on the idea at all, but I feel hypocritical complaining when I've enjoyed the only full length coaster I've done with one (Star Trek). But yeah, I'm not sure I like the idea, especially mid-circuit.

In saying that, I can see the appeal. But equally, I hope it just stays as a passing fad rather than being the next big thing in coasters.

2. Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac Mountain monkey Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team

A bi-directional launch has one pretty clear purpose besides being a gimmick: It saves space. Instead of having one stretch of track launching the track up to full speed, they use a track that's half as long to launch it to half speed first, and then to full speed on the second pass. Since a launch track has to be one long, uninterrupted, straight line, it's much easier to fit a shorter launch track into a layout than a long one.

3. Crazycoaster

Crazycoaster Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    I actually really like this take on the triple launch coaster, think about riding it with so many unsuspecting members of the GP, and having it roll back unexpectedly.

Lofty likes this.
  4. CrashCoaster

CrashCoaster Formerly ATI

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    PortAventura Park
    I think when I ride this, I will have the genuine fear of "Has the switch track actually switched?".

oriolat2 likes this.
  5. JoshC.

JoshC. Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Surely with a 300ft odd spike, almost everyone is going to notice the backwards section?

I know the GP aren't always the most observant, but give them SOME credit.

6. CrashCoaster

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    PortAventura Park
    This isn't going to be nearly 300ft tall. It just won't be. It'll be 200ft tall max, with what will likely be a 210-220ft drop down to the river, where it will hit 76mph.

Intamin to Win likes this.
  7. Intamin to Win

Intamin to Win New Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Toro Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Hersheypark
    Coaster Count:
    I think a multi launch is tons of fun. I quite enjoy Intamin’s Impulse models, for example. The only issue is it won’t be as punchy or fast-accelerating as most launches would because it doesn’t need all the speed initially.

8. Hutch

Hutch Member

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    It's also just great to see another big Intamin making its way to the states. I need that huge outward banked hill.

What's even more interesting is that they'll be going with lap bars (not complaining) after being really behind the shoulder straps on the Sky Rocket II. I wonder who/what set their minds right?

9. Peet

Peet Member

Best Coaster:
    Hyperion
    Best Park:
    SFMM
    Coaster Count:
    Don't forget about the $$ too; the launch hardware can't be cheap and you have far less to install with a rocking launch to achieve a certain speed. For that reason I think they're here to stay.
    Personally I like them; the zero-g moment on the spike is good fun.

Pokemaniac likes this.
  10. SilverArrow

SilverArrow Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    BGT
    Coaster Count:
    I feel like this would be better without the back and forth launch but I like it on some other rides so who knows. I just feel like the big intamins can do a bit better (e.g. the skyrockets are cheap and small so it works for them). Cred in general looks good though. BGW is fab so anything intamin is going to add to the greatness imo.

11. Lofty

Lofty Social Media Team Staff Member Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Sorry, but those calculations are just incorrect. If the highest point of this ride is 200ft (which is at the top of the hill) and the drop utilises the terrain to hit the lowest point at the bottom of the valley - then the difference is vastly greater than 10ft - 20ft. Your maths just don't work out. The chances of this having a 'holding break' at the top that means a great deal of speed is cut from the large drop, then I wouldn't be surprised if the stated 300ft drop would hit that mph. I'm not stating that this IS going to have a 300ft drop, but it's definitely not logical to look at it the way you are.

12. JoshC.

JoshC. Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Wasn't it also said in some form of planning application that it featured a 315ft spike/high point?

Even if doesn't use all of that (which it wouldn't), people are still going to notice the spike and trains changing directions. It'll be a focal point.

13. Hixee

Hixee Flojector Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Two comments on that. Firstly the spike on SWD is huge, I'd guess similar to the height of the non-inverting loop, so I was assuming we'd see something similar here. From memory the SWD train doesn't use an awful lot of the spike, but as you rightly say it creates a big spectacle.

Secondly (and I can't remember from the discussions a while back and can't be arsed going back to look it up), was the max height of the ride, or could it have covered a crane?

14. tomahawk

tomahawk Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Dollywood
    Coaster Count:
    It was max permanent structure, so the max height is 315, both for the spike, and for the top hat.

I'm not gonna give my full opinion on this, as we discussed this for about 30 minutes on the podcast. bit.ly/DrunkRidersBGW

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

15. Kw6sTheater

Kw6sTheater New Member

Best Coaster:
    The Voyage
    Best Park:
    Knoebels
    Coaster Count:
    Today's supposed to be the Passholder day for Busch Gardens Williamsburg or something along those lines right? Could anyone keep us posted if there's a teaser dropped? Thanks! :)

Matt N likes this.
  16. CrashCoaster

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    PortAventura Park
    The spike is usually taller than the top hat. Look at SWD and the Parc Astérix Intamin.

17. Kw6sTheater

Kw6sTheater New Member

Best Coaster:
    The Voyage
    Best Park:
    Knoebels
    Coaster Count:
    I was told the announcement for this 2020 Intamin is going on right now. Anyone at the Old Country?

Matt N likes this.
  18. CrashCoaster

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    PortAventura Park
    I heard it was just a teaser?

19. CSLKennyNI

CSLKennyNI Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
  20. CrashCoaster

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    PortAventura Park
    95° drop? Yeah, this will have a holding brake/magnetic trim.