What's new

Busch Gardens Williamsburg | InvadR | Family GCI

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
According to the latest Midway Mayhem video, this is going to have steel supports.

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcZ25IJax-Q[/youtubevid]

Intricks

Strata Poster
Steel supports, on a wooden coaster?!

HISS! BOOO! BOYCOTTING AND HASHTAGS UNITE TO FORM the wooden coaster coinessuer page on facebook.

Oh, the drama that will (possibly) explode forth because of it not being a pure woodie (it aint HP Comet or the Coney Island Cyclone).

Intricks

Strata Poster
Oh girl, CanobieFan can vouch how LONG of a bitchfest everyone had when GCI came in and "ruined" Cyclone from a ride with nothing but sheer intensity and never-ending amazing character to this dull, lifeless limp of a wet noodle with ALL THE CHARACTER OF SAID RIDE SMOOTHED OUT!

The sheer number of posts comparing before and after photos of every nook and crany of that ride.

Haaaaaahhhhhh....good times. Gooood tiiiiimes.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah. These ride stats feel even more measly after Mystic Timbers.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Intricks said:
Oh girl, CanobieFan can vouch how LONG of a bitchfest everyone had when GCI came in and "ruined" Cyclone from a ride with nothing but sheer intensity and never-ending amazing character to this dull, lifeless limp of a wet noodle with ALL THE CHARACTER OF SAID RIDE SMOOTHED OUT!.
EVERY COASTER IS THE HISTORICAL HERSHEYPARK COMET!!!! and let us not forget the legendary airtime of the Conneaut Lake Blue Streak <3

And so I can be relevant to this topic.....
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CanobieFan/status/752532136222130176[/tweet]

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster
It's not a "sanctity of wood coasters" thing. It's that the steel supports will look hideous at America's most beautiful park.

Could you see Great White or The Villain at BGW? No. It would be an eyesore and stick out like a sore thumb.

Intricks

Strata Poster
PRAISE BE TO THE GLORIOUS HERSHEYPARK COMET!

::coughcough::

They could, and they could not. It all depends on if they decide to theme them up a bit with paint or something.

I could easilly see Villain at the park. The contrast between mechanical and natural is a nice sight to see. It works for all their massive STEEL coasters with their STEEL supports, so why wouldnt it work for Invadr?

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster
^It's the lattice steel. The steel coasters, especially the B&Ms, are sleek and curved and look like sculptures from many locations. The mechanical feel doesn't fit with the Old World theme of the park, which is rich with bright and deep colors. A big, geometric grey steel structure will look hideous.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Well....you have the coaster being named after the Vikings, whom are invading the area and going forth with the pilaging and whathaveyous, so consider it a part of the story/theme for the coaster overall.

And fwiw, GCI tend to have beautiful support structuring for their rides, and I dont believe this will be any different.

Its GCI, they make everything look beautiful regardless of it being wood or steel supports.

Plus, its BGW, they will make sure even moreso that it wont be "disgusting" or an "eye-sore". I still like the contrast between industrial and natural when done properly.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I still like the contrast between industrial and natural when done properly.
This.

I think this is what makes RMCs so beautiful. I might be studying engineering but I was forced to take this Themes in Visual Culture class to fill an "art deficiency" (probably one of the reasons I'm an engineer to begin with :p ) and one thing we were taught there was that there are two types of forms, organic and geometric. Geometric forms tend to contain a lot of 90 degree angles and straight lines, whereas organic tend to have a lot of uneven curves and rounded edges. RMCs typically incorporate a lot of both types into the same structure, the track is heavily organic whereas the supports are heavily geometric, and the contrast makes them absolutely beautiful to look at. GCI does the same thing, those angled helices and random pops of airtime are very organic yet wooden supports are geometric, so it kind of blends them together. Thunderhead, Lightning Racer, and Apocalypse are some of the most beautiful wooden coasters ever because of this in my opinion.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
You can now vote on InvadR's logo: http://bit.ly/2aDTqLM

I must say, the dragon logo looks like someone's face caught on fire and is melting.

812322_e7256ee552dce8e27eb8a81af16245b1.jpg

nazi-face-melt-o.gif

Lofty

CF Legend
Meh - it's OK? Little bland and uneventful - if more of the colours in the shield were used in the typeface, it would bring it to life a bit more.