What's new

Busch Gardens Williamsburg | InvadR | Family GCI

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg Project 2017

It's a woodie...

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/BGWFans/photos/a.414624078720.179830.132615588720/10153560129403721/?type=3&theater[/facebookpost]

Wow... I mean, wow. That was totally unexpected. Wow.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Yay!

#BGWnevercopyBGTanymorewhywontwelearn!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

You see that? That's a woodie

All I see is a ludicrously oversized watermark.

Why do people do that? Why are they so paranoid that someone might not know where a crappy f**king picture comes from? What difference does it make? Gets right on my tits.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

People want credit for their hard work because no one sources anything on the web.

But the logic that anyone would take the time to look up that site for further updates straight from source is bizarre to me. *shrug*

As for why it's so big, people do cut watermarks out. All the time.

Lofty

CF Legend

It's also like "Look at us, we found this, go on our site for latest info", as a form of advertisement.

I'm wondering if this is actually definitely gonna be a woodie?!

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster

I can't believe it.

I can't believe a park with this much standing and prestige could pass up a chance to add a defining attraction and **** it up out of the gate.

Gwazi in Tampa gave the park nothing but problems. I know its year round operation contributed to its problems, and BGW is seasonal. But after BGW's feud with Intamin over Pompeii resulting in the park receiving cheap knockoffs of Intamin products in Mach Tower and Verbolten while BGT got the real thing, adding another GCI seems not only a bit hypocritical but also infuriating for Williamsburg fans.

Furthermore, GCI hasn't done anything interesting in years, with the exception of Viper and Mountain Flyer in China. Those coasters utilise terrain in a way that the leaked layout (which looks boring AF) doesn't show.

An RMC, with Alan Schilke's genius layout design and many unique features, would have given the region a unique experience that would be a defining attraction at the park. Not to mention that Topper Track is quieter that traditional wood, so it would be easier to get sound approval from the neighbors.

Basically, if they don't theme the hell out of it to make it unique, it'll be **** ...

/rant

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

in contrast to the post above.

I think this is a great addition for BGW. Sure us enthusiasts were hoping for something huge like an RMC. But the park doesnt need it at all at the moment the park has some great thrill coasters and really is lacking a good selection of junior coasters. I visited last year and beyond Grover's Alpine Express there i'snt any coaster for younger guests until Verbolten and that is still quite a large ride with a very daunting drop visible from the bridge which would certainly put off my 7 year old niece for one.

I don't get the comment about missing a chance for a defining attraction? its not like this is their only opportunity to add a new coaster for the next 10 years. I think the park is taking a good opportunity to fill a gap in its lineup.

CoasterCale

Roller Poster

I have yet to visit any Busch Park and a GCI will definitely make me visit. As if the rest of their coasters isn't enough already.

Snoo

The Legend

For those interested in the theories:

http://bgwfans.com/2016/leaking-project-2017/

Compare2-1.jpg

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster

roomraider said:
I don't get the comment about missing a chance for a defining attraction? its not like this is their only opportunity to add a new coaster for the next 10 years. I think the park is taking a good opportunity to fill a gap in its lineup.

My rationale behind that statement was that if the park was going to add a wooden coaster they should add something that's on the cutting edge and had been acclaimed by nearly everyone who rides it. The park doesn't have one of those yet...

Now that I've had time to think over the addition it doesn't seem *that* bad. I've grown accustomed to being disappointed be the additions and decisions the park has made since the SeaWorld acquisition: Europe in the Car, removing Big Bad, the Mach Tower fiasco, Verbolten's "ugly factor" and lack of integration with the area, the addition of a Six Flags-y low capacity shuttle coaster... The only really good investment has been the Sesame Street area. The Park's mantra has been "quantity over quality".

But I'm willing to give this a chance, because even if the layout is dull, they can theme it well then it'll be good in an Expedition Everest way. And I realize that the needs of the public are better than the needs of enthusiasts.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Weird seeing people moan about a woodie haha. Contrast to the Alton threads!

Worth following anyway. One of my top bucket list parks!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I too think a woodie is a great idea... Especially a smaller, family friendly one.

Really, really happy with their choice. Nice one, BGW.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Yeah, if this is a family woodie, then why are you guys complaining? You all seem to love Wooden Warrior and Roar-o-Saurus. A GG woodie would be a great fit. Besides, the nearest quality woodie is nearly 7 hours away. I'm quite excited for this.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

^If it's GG. If It's GCI I'm kinda in the meh camp. Really though We'll find out tomorrow and we can make much more informed opinions then

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg Project 2017 (Family Woodie?)

Hold the horses...did someone really just say "quantity over quality" for BGW?

Like...wow...Tempesto may have been the only addition that could have been labelled that way, but the rest of the additions have been nothing but unique, quality attractions not really found elsewhere in the region/US.

As for the manufacturer - why not GG (V) (;,,,,;) (V)? They've proven they can do smaller, family oriented type coasters that still really pack a punch!

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster

Yes, I do think that the last 6 or so years for BGW have shown less than stellar attractions.

Europe in the air was a knock-off of the Soarin' attraction at Disney, using a vastly inferior motion system reused from when the theater showed Corkscrew Hill. Maybe it would be kind of cool at a 90s Paramount park, but it feels incredibly dated in 2010 at Busch Gardens. A few years before, they added Darkastle which was admiteddly inspired by Spider-Man, but had its own unique theme and kept the ride tech up to date.

Mach Tower has been a maintainence nightmare. The park didn't buy a proven Intamin tower and instead bought a cheap Italian tower from a company called Moser because of some stupid feud between BGW and Intamin over Escape from Pompeii.

The Verbolten "show building" is, or at least was, very visible and out in the open for public viewing, and it's just a corrugated metal shed. The concrete footers on the "big drop" are absurdly large and ugly for what should be the most picturesque ride at a park that has won more landscaping awards than any others.

You already mentioned Tempesto, which is probably the cheapest addition yet.

Apologies for yet another rant, and I'm taking back my previous comments about wanting an RMC, because they sound quite entitled and whiny in hindsight. I've already said a GCI can be good if they theme it well, like Wodan at Europa. They may have more budget for quality theming if they get a GCI anyway. But I do have reason to be skeptical of the new coaster. because of the declining quality of the Park's attractions over the past few years.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Prowler says if GCI this will be good.

BGE would be lucky to get a RMC. That's a privilege to have one of those sex machines in your park.

Stop bitching it's a new coaster. Ffs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Intricks

Strata Poster

Shirofukurou said:
Yes, I do think that the last 6 or so years for BGW have shown less than stellar attractions.

Europe in the air was a knock-off of the Soarin' attraction at Disney, using a vastly inferior motion system reused from when the theater showed Corkscrew Hill. Maybe it would be kind of cool at a 90s Paramount park, but it feels incredibly dated in 2010 at Busch Gardens. A few years before, they added Darkastle which was admiteddly inspired by Spider-Man, but had its own unique theme and kept the ride tech up to date.

Mach Tower has been a maintainence nightmare. The park didn't buy a proven Intamin tower and instead bought a cheap Italian tower from a company called Moser because of some stupid feud between BGW and Intamin over Escape from Pompeii.

The Verbolten "show building" is, or at least was, very visible and out in the open for public viewing, and it's just a corrugated metal shed. The concrete footers on the "big drop" are absurdly large and ugly for what should be the most picturesque ride at a park that has won more landscaping awards than any others.

You already mentioned Tempesto, which is probably the cheapest addition yet.

Apologies for yet another rant, and I'm taking back my previous comments about wanting an RMC, because they sound quite entitled and whiny in hindsight. I've already said a GCI can be good if they theme it well, like Wodan at Europa. They may have more budget for quality theming if they get a GCI anyway. But I do have reason to be skeptical of the new coaster. because of the declining quality of the Park's attractions over the past few years.

Europe in the Air is fab for what it is, regardless of state-of-the-art tech or not. I would LOVE to see that style of quality found at, oh....I dont know....any of the chain CF/SF parks. While it is not Disney quality (which is ridiculous to expect at a non-Studio based/funded park), it is still FAR superior to what it could have been would it have been built elsewhere.

As for Mach Tower - is that your biggest gripe is that it isnt a "proven" Intamin drop tower. The same drop towers that have been shunted for half seasons+ at both KI and KD? I'm sorry (not), but Intamin burned that bridge for a potential future customer when they had those issues with Escape from Pompeii and **** went south between the two (mechanics refuse to deal with them from what I have heard). Blame Intamin, not BGW for that issue.

Verboltens drop is gorgeous and not an eyesore in any manner. It could do with a bit more forces, and the shed is only barely visible from the pathways now (I had to look hard for it).

Tempesto is the only addition that feels more or less like a quantity over quality bit.

Hutch

Strata Poster

^Yeah, pretty much agree with it all.

As for the choice I'm happy with it. Sure, it's not your RMC but a new woodie is always good stuff. The layout looks more like a small GG than a GCI, but I'm totally up for either one. Roar-o-Saurus is fantastic and the other two look awesome as well. It'll be something you'll want to ride over and over again.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster

I honestly think this layout would go better as a GG Timberliner with a theme like Timber. That layout doesn't look... GCI to me. Lets see what beans they spill on the morning!