What's new

Bubbleworks Closing

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Bubbleworks was in a really, really sorry state. Even nostalgia couldn't mask over how bad it was, so anything - literally anything - will be an improvement. The ride could be gutted with a single, disappointing turd on a pedestal in the finale room and it would be better than Bubbleworks was.

This is a relevant IP and one which will remain relevant and one which seems appropriate for Chessington in both audience and setting. The appropriateness is groundbreaking for Merlin. I can't believe this is actually happening.

The only reservation I have is that I can't imagine this will form the basis of a unique Gruffalo story, but merely a retelling of the story. One which everyone knows, which I guess is good - people get to see in physical something they love and know - but I can't help feeling that's a bit... Boring? I dunno. Torn. I just hope it looks spectacular if they just follow the narrative of the book and that it isn't a bunch of near static scenes, but lively, densely populated ones with great theatre.

Looking forward to it either way... Wasn't Charlie the last family dark ride Merlin attempted? I never even did that. Lol.

Did Bubbleworks ever really fit in with the Transylvania theme? I realise I never rode it in its original incarnation, but it still seemed unfitting with the branding of Vampire.
Yes... Well, yeah I think it did. I actually think even in it's later version it was fine... Because Transylvania - other than the name - was really just this sort of European town up the Bubbleworks end. But, Professor Burp's voiceover was a key element in conveying the whole thing and gelling it together, so in loosing his German-ness is where the cracks began. I don't think it was ever intented to be Transylvania tbh, rather just a generic, central European town. The whole "brewery" theme was quite obvious. I think Bubbleworks as a striking contrast to Vampire was really well done, but this might all be nostalgia.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
They've sort of properly announced it now. Opening March 2017
C1E6XQnW8AAgUrr.jpg

gruffalo-feature.jpg

Would be cool to have some of Pooh's giant books separating scene.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hosted on Imgur and that low-res? Where has this from?

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I was emailed the document and can't find a link online from anywhere (Chessy are really slow to put their PR's online), so I uploaded it to Imgur.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, I saw something online, too, saying the 18th.

I also read that Transylvania has been renamed/rebranded to Wild Woods. Not sure if that's new news but it's news to me.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I also read that Transylvania has been renamed/rebranded to Wild Woods. Not sure if that's new news but it's news to me.
I didn't know that, they still reference Transylvania on the website as a land. Any idea where you saw that?

Pierre

Strata Poster
Saw the TV advert for this today and instantly my daughter now wants to go to Chessington so I guess it's having the desired effect. I'm also a bit of a fan of the Gruffalo anyway and was surprised when I saw the TV advert, very cool IP - heck I'm heading to a ****ing wood for it on Sunday as the local forest* have launched a meet the Gruffalo via a Pokémon Go style VR app...

*other forests are available

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I didn't know that, they still reference Transylvania on the website as a land. Any idea where you saw that?
Yeah, Wikipedia. (I know! I KNOW!) It also mentions on the website that the Gruffalo is in Wild Wood...originally I thought that meant the ride itself but, after reading "reliable" Wiki, it seems like the aera has been rebranded.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I disagree, I rode it on Saturday and it was really cute! Not quite finished yet mind you, but I really enjoyed it, as did all the families riding it too.