What's new

Boardwalk Cred - Ocean City, Maryland, 8 August 2017

Mrsupersonic8

Roller Poster
While in Ocean City, I decided to snatch up whatever credits there were in the area. The two parks that most interested me were at the end of the boardwalk, an almost 40 minute walk from the hotel my family was staying at. Not that I cared, I set my sights on the boardwalk anyway.

0fTZ8ta.jpg

After the grueling journey, I arrived at the main stretch of the boardwalk at noon. I soon discovered that the first part I planned to visit (Jolly Roger at the Pier) wasn't open until 1pm. No biggie, I thought, there were plenty of other things to do to pass the time.

3FGIE0z.jpg

As I walked around and explored a bit, I felt a few drops of rain and noticed the dark clouds coming over the horizon. I decided to duck into an arcade to stay out of any rain there might be and ended playing a few games. It was really nice, with a wide variety of games that used the more traditional quarter and paper ticket system. They even had Galaga!

dsSSVfU.jpg

I left the arcade and saw I still had another half hour before the park opened. I was also feeling slightly peckish, so I grabbed fries from Thrasher's. They were some of the best fries I've had in a long time.

wZoIz4l.jpg

Oh, by the way, this is a small. If you think this is big you should see their large.

Jolly Roger at the Pier

When 1 o'clock struck, the park opened, I headed straight to the ticket booth to grab the armband. It was an absolute steal! It was even cheaper than buying tickets. ($30 for the bronze pack VS $23 for unlimited rides)

FLBHuzE.jpg

The first thing I headed for was the resident Pinfari looper and only coaster in the park: Looping Star. Ow ow ow ow ow. I'm glad I didn't have to endure that twice. (3/10) (1x)

wtBnxOE.jpg

I bebopped around the park, riding various flats before riding the haunted house. It was pretty silly and dumb, and was lit up by strobes for the entire ride. The only way these things can be somewhat scary is at least leaving it in complete darkness.

I went to ferris wheel to snap some pics, but the park didn't allow single riders. Luckily, a family let me ride with them. They were pretty cool about it.

u54RbWy.jpg

uwfGp4x.jpg

EOjcBmU.jpg

r4Mz66q.jpg

Notable flat: Kraken. A true sleeper. It caught me off guard with its intensity.

I left the park and headed for Trimper's Rides, the other park on the boardwalk, only to discover the outside portion didn't open until 3pm. It was 2:10pm, leaving me with another 50 minutes to burn. So... I got some ice cream from Dumsers, and it was pretty good. I got the orange twist, but the orange wasn't very orangey and seemed like it was already pretty creamy. Had I known, I probably would have just gotten the orange.

QpAmZ8Y.jpg

ckGTls0.jpg

Trimper's Rides

I still had a half hour before the outdoor rides opened, so I decided to check out the indoor part of the park. They packed in A LOT.

dFV1uu2.jpg

They even packed in a kiddie ferris wheel!

H79yuTE.jpg

The indoor ticket booth was swamped, so I waited at the outdoor ticket booth. Again I grabbed the armband.

Wyrput6.jpg

The park has a lot of charm and reminds me very much of Sylvan Beach back home. It serves as the perfect foil and antithesis for Jolly Roger at the Pier, as it's older and more traditional than the latter, which is more modern.

First coaster to be visited at the park was it's SBF Visa Spinning Coaster. It's actually kinda fun. Not a major thriller, but you do get spinning pretty good. (6/10) (1x)

AhOVkHM.jpg

There's one cred I couldn't get, and that was the Sooper Jet. (Only kids could ride.) Honestly, though, I wasn't lamenting it that much. It looks like a bayerncurve had a love child with a powered coaster.

gBH4L8Z.jpg

Hooo boy. My first Wacky Worm. Also my first credit whore moment, and did it fill me with waves of guilt and shame. Not proud of this, but a cred is a cred. (3/10) (1x)

After a quick spin on FreakOut to drown out the guilt and shame, I went back into the indoor area to ride the bumper cars. Honestly, I prefer bumper cars that go in one direction and are more like a race track (which these were). It forces you to get creative and build up momentum to be used later instead of just hitting each other randomly. It makes for a much better experience IMO.

The flat ride collection is quite diverse. My favorite has to be the Endeavor. I love how they fit it under the cobra roll of Tidal Wave. It generates some interesting foot choppers.

IiWzga3.jpg

The last cred of the boardwalk was Tidal Wave, yet another Vekoma Boomerang. This one was particularly rough, but I managed to stave off most of the head banging. (5/10) (1x)

UvGOho7.jpg

Thus my boardwalk trip ended, and I began my long walk back to the hotel. Luckily, my pride had remained intact. But it didn't stay that way for long...

The armband I got from Jolly Roger at the Pier was also valid for Jolly Roger Amusement Park. It was just down the street from the hotel, and had three more creds to get, two of which were definite credit whore material. So after eating dinner and resting a bit, I swallowed my pride and went over to the park.

Jolly Roger Amusement Park

jViYdQx.jpg

(Redundancy department of redundancy)

I went to get on the Wacky Worm only to discover that the wristband had only been valid for 1-6pm. I ran back to the ticket booth to grab a bronze card (the wristband was the same price anyway) to begin my credit whoring.

Oh boy, here we go...

RmngYgP.jpg

Sea Serpent
Has a lot of pep. Still a kiddie cred, but at least it has something that could justify riding it. (6/10) (1x)

Wacky Worm
Blehck. I barely fit into the car and had to sit cross legged. Guilt and shame, guilt and shame. (3/10) (1x)

Wildcat
Rode it to balance out the shame. Great air, quite forceful, not a kiddie cred. Much better than a Pinfari, as it's still pretty smooth by today's standards. Anton Schwarzkopf really did good with this model. The lift hill even uses a literal chain! (Fun fact: this specific model used to reside at Cedar Point and then Valleyfair before coming here.) (7.5/10) (1x)

I would have gone twice on Wildcat if it weren't for the parks "no single riders" policy on it. It's stupid. It at least made sense on the ferris wheel as you need to balance it out. On a coaster with multiple cars, though? Yeeeaaah, no.

I did some go karting to round out the day at Speedworld (which is right behind the park), on the LeMans track. After three laps, (which was two laps too short, at least for me), the race was over and it was time to head back to the hotel. The sun had set and I was absolutely wiped out. If there's anything I learned, it's this: credit whoring is only good in small doses. Either that, or just be completely and utterly shameless.

Last edited:

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
There should be an edit button somewhere on the bottom of your post ;p

Seems like everyone's off on their summer holidays to the seaside and visiting piers right now.
Congrats on your first Wacky Worm! You're a real goon now.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Haha, welcome to the world of the cred-whore. ;)

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
It took me 250 creds to get my first Wacky Worm so you're way ahead of me bro. :p

I have a friend who's hyped this place up to me like you wouldn't believe and seeing this, I kind of see why she would like it. It looks like a cute little place with some fun little rides. Not exactly a place to amend to your top ten but a place to have a good, relaxed time. I really like those cute little speedboat trains on the kiddie cred too!